The Pictures of Mike Rotch (now with added development)

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 240 comments
In just this shot or the lens in general?
Just this shot; because I had to crop it it lost some of it's natural vignette as well as softness on the other side of the image. Oh well.

@Cano, it feels like there should be a burn.gif image after your comment :lol:.

Big fan of the new direction. The street stuff is properly strong. 👍

The highlights come off as quite strong recently though, is this intentional?

Just this shot; because I had to crop it it lost some of it's natural vignette as well as softness on the other side of the image. Oh well.

@Cano, it feels like there should be a burn.gif image after your comment :lol:.

Lol no, I never meant it in a bad way. It's just that, there's much more left to interpretation in two persons walking oin the rain than in some guys trying to catch a Hummer limo.

Big fan of the new direction. The street stuff is properly strong. 👍

The highlights come off as quite strong recently though, is this intentional?
Cheers mate, I'm working hard to try and avoid cliche's on the street - it's killing my hit rate, but it's a nice challenge.

As for the highlights, I've been looking at a lot of high contrast B&W stuff online lately which I quite fancy. I have probably pushed my presets further then normal by a touch as a result; so I probably am still looking for the sweet spot.

Cheers mate, I'm working hard to try and avoid cliche's on the street - it's killing my hit rate, but it's a nice challenge.

As for the highlights, I've been looking at a lot of high contrast B&W stuff online lately which I quite fancy. I have probably pushed my presets further then normal by a touch as a result; so I probably am still looking for the sweet spot.

Yeah a lot of darkroom stuff I have done in my studies has the same effect with the right filter and exposure, so it is certainly not unrealistic, but I just noticed there was a shift from a few more midtones a few months ago. 👍

TB
An N. Dakota shirt in Australia? 👍

Well they are both desolate wastelands, right? :P

Echoing others, some strong stuff going on here. Making me want to get out on the street and maybe start my portraits of strangers project back up.

Interesting high perspective... Are you that taller than him?

Anyway, you do make that CCTV lens shine. Well done! 👍

Interesting high perspective... Are you that taller than him?

Anyway, you do make that CCTV lens shine. Well done! 👍
Is that high, everything looks like that to me :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :cheers:

Fujian 35mm f1.7

Shots like this... I love. If I can be constructive (and this is only my opinion and probably wrong), shots like this;

Industar-69 28mm

...don't take my eye anywhere and don't do anything for me. The small brick-surrounded window beyond the chap is actually the point that my eye keeps resting on and it just doesn't, I dunno, work for me. That's only for me, ignore me at your leisure ;)

Still love a lot of them! :D

Back