"The Prototype" by Sam Mitani Is A Gran Turismo-Inspired Thriller

Is there any mature content in the book from the perspective of language (f word, a** etc.), sex? Asking because I wanted to read this with my nephew or get it for him. Thanks!

Is there any mature content in the book from the perspective of language (f word, a** etc.), sex? Asking because I wanted to read this with my nephew or get it for him. Thanks!
If I recall, "s***" is used once or twice, along with some "damns" and "hells".

There is some violence (people get shot and killed, mild torture, car crashes, hand-to-hand combat), but it's not gory or glorified, and the protagonists are realistically disturbed when they must use deadly force to defend themselves. There is no sex. If this was a movie (it really would make a great action movie), it would probably have a PG-13 rating. I would not recommend this for young children, but in terms of violence and adult themes, it's roughly on par with what you'd see on primetime network television here in the United States.

Now there's an untapped market if I've ever seen one. Gran Turismo Erotic Fiction. Maybe call it "Fifty Shades of Turismo"?
ಠ_ಠ

Edit: Now that I think about it...Is that your gun in the article picture, Jordan?

I don’t know if it’s just me, but the description of the protagonist in this review seems like somewhat of a Gary Stu.

A 20-something year old gamer and automotive journalist that is somehow proficient in marksmanship, espionage, stunt driving and more.

Now there's an untapped market if I've ever seen one. Gran Turismo Erotic Fiction. Maybe call it "Fifty Shades of Turismo"?

If anything, it'd still be a better love story than Twilight.
Well, now that you mention it...

Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti — the producers of the movie adaptation of Fifty Shades — were tapped to produce the Gran Turismo Movie... :sly:

ಠ_ಠ

Edit: Now that I think about it...Is that your gun in the article picture, Jordan?
You've gotta be ready to deal with those angry banned members.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but the description of the protagonist in this review seems like somewhat of a Gary Stu.

A 20-something year old gamer and automotive journalist that is somehow proficient in marksmanship, espionage, stunt driving and more.
I don't know who Gary Stu is, but aside from being a good driver, the protagonist is not proficient in those things.

Stockton Clay - oh deary me...sorry but that sounds quite bad as character names go. Hotblack Desiato now; that's a name to conjure with.

Man...that title made my head spin. "A Gran Turismo thriller?What?Kaz is involved in the book?Is this the plot of the next GT game?Oh it's a book with GT easter eggs alright".But to be serious it does sound interesting,it's the closest we will ever get of a Gran Turismo story.

The Real Thriller Simulator

Well, now that you mention it...

Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti — the producers of the movie adaptation of Fifty Shades — were tapped to produce the Gran Turismo Movie...

The Gran Turismo movie?What would it be about?Someone with a MX-5 that needs to grind the same tracks to have enough money to buy the 1000HP Suzuki Escudo?

Last edited:

. o (Auto-erotic fiction?)

If I recall, "s***" is used once or twice, along with some "damns" and "hells".

There is some violence (people get shot and killed, mild torture, car crashes, hand-to-hand combat), but it's not gory or glorified, and the protagonists are realistically disturbed when they must use deadly force to defend themselves. There is no sex. If this was a movie (it really would make a great action movie), it would probably have a PG-13 rating. I would not recommend this for young children, but in terms of violence and adult themes, it's roughly on par with what you'd see on primetime network television here in the United States.
Thanks for the detailed clarifications!

LOL

the-prototype-novel-with-gun.jpg
Was this image taken specifically for the article on GTP or was it provided by an outside party?

I want to know more about the piece of furniture...

:P

I'm real sorry, but I don't know if it was the way this article/review was written or what, but it makes the book sound like it's schlock. As if it were just a scrapped script for a Mission Impossible or Tom Clancy movie with a Gran Turismo namedrop. I'm just not convinced - at least from this article/review - that it brings anything really interesting or innovative to the table.

I'm real sorry, but I don't know if it was the way this article/review was written or what, but it makes the book sound like it's schlock. As if it were just a scrapped script for a Mission Impossible or Tom Clancy movie with a Gran Turismo namedrop. I'm just not convinced - at least from this article/review - that it brings anything really interesting or innovative to the table.
Well, the book currently has a five-star rating on Amazon, and other people I know who read it told me they also enjoyed it, so I don't think it's "schlock".

Apart from being a Mission Impossible script or written by Tom Clancy, what would the book need to do in order to avoid being labeled as trash?

Mission Impossible is great man.

Apart from being a Mission Impossible script or written by Tom Clancy, what would the book need to do in order to avoid being labeled as trash?
As with anything addressed by a generally cynical internet audience, its only option for not being viewed or labeled as such is likely not being released at all.

I guess that's the cynic in me...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This story seems intriguing and begs for a movie adaptation!

Actually, I do have a concept for a Gran Turismo anime, where the main character is a son of his successful parents in the racing world and he is at least an above average sim racer. He moves out from a mechanic school to an ultra-prestigious university nearby Tokyo R246, where he meets his love of the life as he begins the journey to the GT World Championship with her and several friends, starting from the Sunday Cup and the Clubman Cup before the racing classes and various regional tours.

Actually, I do have a concept for a Gran Turismo anime, where the main character is a son of his successful parents in the racing world and he is at least an above average sim racer. He moves out from a mechanic school to an ultra-prestigious university nearby Tokyo R246, where he meets his love of the life as he begins the journey to the GT World Championship with her and several friends, starting from the Sunday Cup and the Clubman Cup before the racing classes and various regional tours.
Initial GT?

I'll get my coat...

Initial GT?

I'll get my coat...
Obviously not with that title! (Although there will be Touge racing scenes organized by the Gran Turismo Association, which is the sanctioning body of practically every race in the GT universe, game and proposed anime.)

It will be a typical "race through the disciplines until the top" style of story, with the end goal of becoming the GT World Champion. Starting with Spec Racing, then Tuned Production racing, Touring Cars, GT racing, up until Prototypes and Formula racing stuff. But, the main character's girlfriend will play a major role, as the President of said sanctioning body will try to rig races for her by bribing her father, who is a financial magnate that provides backing for her and the main character's father for his racing team back in the past. The rigging attempts will start during the GT racing arc, and escalates during the Prototype racing arc when the FIA gets involved, and ends on the final round of the GT World Championship arc, which is the New Year's Eve 4 hour race at Special Stage Route 11. Essentially, the GTA President is trying to exploit the magnate's family wealth through the latter's daughter's skill on the races by adding more to it at the cost of demoralization of everyone racing in their series.

There will be other supporting characters from various different backgrounds of life, such as a male character whose father is Finnish, a female character who is pursuing both a racing career and a military career, and so on.

My idea for a open world GT game was basically a Initial D inspired anime,you start from the bottom with your crappy car and you have to deal with gangs and other criminals and stuff,it might sound silly but it could work.

Back