The PS VITA Thread - New '2000' Model

• Thread starter Robin
  • 680 comments
Its seems game stop is doing the same. But only for 5 Sony games and its online with store pickup. Target has a free 4GB card with the Wi-Fi system. Thats pretty good. But I'm getting the 3G bundle. Picking mine up at 12am from walmart.

Might get one in 6 months when it's cheaper and games interest me.

Day one console buys are rarely worth it.

Just as question:
Would some of you be interested in exchanging psn for the vita?

*ibo* S3 Racer
Just as question:
Would some of you be interested in exchanging psn for the vita?

I don't understand. Exchange Playstation network for a vita ?

user names for online games, leaderboards,...
Vita friend list.
PSV friends list should have the same people you added on PS3 I believe. I'm passing the Vita for now till some good games come out for it. Only one I liked was Ridge Racer.

PSV friends list should have the same people you added on PS3 I believe. I'm passing the Vita for now till some good games come out for it. Only one I liked was Ridge Racer.

Makes sense and is true, though I don't think many of my PS3 friends will have the Vita quickly.

Ridge Racer is lame, not enough content but massive payable DLC. Way to go!!

Might get one in 6 months when it's cheaper and games interest me.

Day one console buys are rarely worth it.

That is a good idea. There should be a hardware revision by then which might make the PS Vita a bit lighter and potentially about 50% more battery life while also being more reliable and cheaper to buy. I might get one when there is a GT game released for it. By then it should be much cheaper and more useful ;).

Anyone know about why certain games (in particular Super Stardust Delta) disables network connectivity during the game? I hear it's only something that's been happening during the European launch. Because of it I can't upload any scores to the leaderboards. Seems kinda dumb to have a feature that does that. :confused:

G.T
Anyone know about why certain games (in particular Super Stardust Delta) disables network connectivity during the game? I hear it's only something that's been happening during the European launch. Because of it I can't upload any scores to the leaderboards. Seems kinda dumb to have a feature that does that. :confused:

How are you liking the device itself? I've been debating getting one.

How are you liking the device itself? I've been debating getting one.
It's like a PSP with a much enhanced screen and touchscreen and an extra joystick really (which both feel really good).

It weights about the same as the original PSP did and feels quite good in your hands once you know where to place your fingers (got used to using an Xbox controller for years now).

The 4 buttons on the right are a bit small but I suppose I will get used to that.

It feels very solidly built - nothing on it feels cheap and all the materials, especially where you lay your fingers behind it, are comfortable and wouldn't rub after a while.

My main gripe with it is battery life - lasted about 4 hours playing Super Stardust. But I did have my brightness turned up and bluetooth was on.

It's whether you want to play the titles on it really. I have an iPad and Android phone which are both perfectly capable of playing games, but none of the platforms really have something that's kept me hooked. Being a major fan of Lumines and Star Dust from the PSP/PS3, I knew this console, along with proper controls for playing games rather than just a touchscreen, is going to be something I will use a lot outside the house.

Also I know the homebrew community for the PSP was rather large and successful, and have no doubt it will be similar for the PSV, so that's another reason I bought it. But let's not discuss this further on this forum. ;)

I picked mine up this morning along with a few goodies. I bought the wifi with a free 4gig card at Target along with Golden Abyss, Lumines, and Wipeout from their buy 2 get 1 deal. 32 gig card is set to arrive this afternoon so I didn't really need the 4 gig. Had a gift card from Best Buy and bought a screen saver pack along with a PSN card for Escape Plan and SSDD. Lots of good stuff.

I haven't had much time to mess with it yet but really liked the look and feel so far. It has a nice look to it, improved on the PSP. The screen is pretty impressive and I've only played the Unit 13 demo for about 5 mins. Holding it comfortably took a second too figure but I now keep my pinkies on the loops to hold the straps and it seems good. We will see how that holds up with prolonged use. I can see the rear touch panel working perfectly as paddle shifters for a GT game.

Only annoyance so far has nothing to do with the system itself. I took time to make sure the screen was clean and put on the protector before I used it. It went on perfectly except one little piece of dust.:banghead: That is going to bug me and I've considered trying to get rid of it but I will probably make it worse. Oh well.

Got mine delivered today, had a bit of time with it during lunch time.
I got:
PSV wifi
8gb card
In-ear PS headphones
Free goodies card
Lumnies

Bought from the store
SuperstarDust+DLC
Escape Plan

Downloaded:
Unit 9 Demo
MGS PW

First impressions:
Packaging is bigger than fat PSP or PSPgo but has less content.
FATPSP had most content with the console (sleeve, tissue, headphones, case,...)
PSPgo still had already less goodies
PSV has none!!
But preorders had the inear hp + goodies download for free.

The PSV isn't heavy at all. I really expected a bit more, but I like it.
Screen (OLED, probably the first you can buy in decent size at decent price) is huge for a handheld and the quality of the screen with it's relative low resolution is mind boogling. OLED on 40" will rock in the future ;)
Touchscreens are responsive in the menus, so it all developpers fault if they aren't in a game.
Buttons are really ok. Triggers are way better then on the PSP and a hell of a lot better than on the GO.

Setup was fairly easy, but it just wouldn't register my account before doing the update.
The menu looks a bit childish compared to my beloved XMB. XBOX consoleros will be happy though, probably (it has party chat ;))
PSV is sluggish though, it wouldn't let me download minis, PS1 titles and most PSP games through my download list (probably only those supported), got MGS on it though. Need to wait to connect to the PS3 to download the rest (8Gb won't be enough after 2 years PSN+ member). So it's ok.
The download catalogue and retail catalogue are really good for a lauch day. Can't complain on that.
Download speed was good on the PSV. Through the office wifi I got over a real 1mb/sec download (real mb not bit).

Played a 5min on SSDHD. And wow, all the guys from the office gathered around me. Screen is beautiful, buttons are within a confortable reach.

Can't wait now to be at home and try it out futher.

Verdict:
Negs:
- Not every supported game is yet supported in the PSV store. Not bad if you own a PS3 but if not,... ai
- No internal memory (What were you thinking??)
- Little rounded corners on bottom are hollow, not full plastic
- Covers for cards are sluggish again. They will wear off easily. When will they learn? ;)

+/-:
- Ain't cheap, but it's brand new, so can't really complain
- Button size, for me it's good, but it can pose problems depending on having fingers or sausages
- Finish is fingerprint friendly. They will be everywhere.

+:
- Super cool screen.
- Dual sticks
- Small game cards
- Great graphics
- Lots of interactivity possibilites (tilt, touch, buttons,voice, cam,...)
- Good launch titles, and great perspective of incoming games
- Backwards compatibility with all of PSP digital content (I only had 6 UMDS, and got 5 free games with the PSPgo, so mehh UMD,though I am sad as it was the successor of my much beloved MD)
- All the rest. It is really great piece of hardware.
If you have that money and are a game freak, own a psp and lots of digital content. It is worth it.
For newcomers it is still worth it.

If you are waiting for the "rumored" imminent price cut, don't. It won't come. Kaz said that it won't go the way of the 3ds.
I see a price cut earliest for xmas.

As someone that paid £250 for a 3DS I'm not seeing the Vita as "expensive". :lol:

- Little rounded corners on bottom are hollow, not full plastic
They're there for clips in hard-cover cases or to put a wrist strap on it. I got the Starter Pack with the case and the clips work wonderfully through the holes to keep the PSV inside it. :)

Does anyone know if it links to PS3 games like Gran Turismo 5 or Skyrim?

If it does, can you use it as a second console for trading and DLC like if you had 2 PS3's?

I am interested in one but want to know a few key things before begging my wife for the money.:scared:

^I don't understand your question?
Those 2 games (or other PS3 titles) can not be played on the psv (maybe later with the remote setting or via homebrew).
But even then you would need your ps3 running (and probably in reach or really good connection)

It's really cool though.

A question:
There seems to be some PSP games which I seem to not be able to redownload. On the PSV, it obviously doesn't give me the option to download, but on the PS3 it states not possible to download from ps3 system. It's the free games I got with the PSPgo.
Where then??
PC?

GT: I wasn't talking about the holes for the strap. Turn it around and look at the silver edge. It's hollow. It's a neg, not a big one, but it's a neg.

HINT:
Press PS + START= Screenshot.

Burnout RC is the cheapest and probably best small game!

Last edited:
I can't stop playing Lumines! It is such an addicting game. Really glad I decided to pick it up after considering not getting it. Other than that I haven't played my other games but my wife checked out Escape Plan and the way she was giggling the while time I think she liked it.

Burnout RC????? You mean Motorstorm? I do not think you can redownload that PSP Go game, your only option is try to copy it off the PSPgo to the PS3 or PC.

I got SuperStar Dust bundle and got Puzzle Quest for PSP after reading it works and it had a recent price drop. Thats $25 on 2 good games. looking to get one more Vita game and one more psp game. Ultimate Ghouls n goblins in very pretty on Vita. I got it $5 last summer. No wishing i had gotten Street Fighter Alpha 3 when it was $5 3 months ago.

I have to say some psp games look and run great. Considering coughing up $20 for GTpsp .

Lol yeah Motorstorm!

tried Lumnies and couldn't stop either.

Escape Plan looks fun, played the first levels, great integration of the touchpanels.

I have nearly fulled my 8GB card.

The launch titels are excellent (well most of them). Couldn't stop.

I need to try to transfer to PC. I hope that works. it's 3 AAA games.

HINT:
disable bluetooth snd you got yourself +30mins.

Yeah, 8GB's isn't much. Its good if you want go cards plus digital games. I had a few trials but they are all locked full games. Ninja Gaidan is 3.3GB's. I may get that in the future.

I just flip on airplane mode to kill all networks while playing. I got 3 solid hours on full brightness and wi-fi on. Had some juice left and zero heating issues. My phone would have died by then and would have been flaming.

The Menues are scattered and a bit sloppy just to get into settings but it sure is fast.

Escape Plan is a lot of fun. It kind of reminds me of Oddworld Abe's Oddessy, my favorite PS1 game. Obviously the environments aren't really similar besides trying to escape death, but the way you have a screen you are trying to solve and pass before you can move on. I'm trying to 3 star each stage and find the signs before I move on to the next. I didn't figure out the signs until today so I wasn't looking for them on the first section and missed them. It's a good use of both touch screen, something I'd recommend for any Vita owner.

Does anyone know how to transfer a PSP game from the PC to the Ps3 via USB or another method.

Got my Vita yesterday. Overall, I'm liking it. But... there's a good handful of things I really hate about it.

Games that require memory cards literally require them to even launch. You can't just opt to play and not save. Unless there are technical reasons for why this is (which I doubt), that's seriously absurd. And i'm not even one of the whiners complaining about the need for a proprietary memory card... it was smart of Sony to not give the Vita built-in memory to keep the initial cost of the Vita down, even if it's inconvenient and ultimately not the true cost of the Vita for anyone hoping to use it. And I was planning on buying a 32 GB memory card anyway, but it just so happened that the Navy Exchange I bought my Vita from was sold out of their Vita memory cards of any capacity. I later swung by GameStop and got the memory card.

Managing content is... unpleasant. With the exception of copying games/applications to and from your Vita or doing an entire system backup/restore, the Content Manager application is pretty useless. For copying photos, videos, or music it just launches the respective application. And all content management is done manually on the Vita itself, which is cumbersome for managing a lot of content. Honestly I'd rather use Media Go for managing content. The Photo app is a step back from photos on the PSP... complete lack of the ability to organize things into folders. Instead, you can only look at your entire photo library or by month. In fact, content management is pretty much a step back in every way from the PSP. Buried in the settings menu, you're given the option to manage your PSP game saves and Vita/PSP DLC. You however cannot manage the saved games of Vita games. Presumably the only way to delete your save is to uninstall the software then re-install it. Not a huge deal if you've got a physical copy of the game, but if you got it off of PSN you'll have to redownload it all over again. Not fun at all for people who have slow and/or capped internet connections. And downloading multi-gig items on the Vita isn't fun either. I would like software that, like Media Go, allows me to download stuff from the Playstation Store on my computer. Only unlike Media Go, I'd like it to be Mac-compatible.

Another thing I really dislike is the look of the interface. Not the interface itself, which is quite nice for the most part. But the aesthetic just doesn't sit well with me at all. I really hope that in future firmware versions, they add themes so I can get a more pleasing look.

BTW, the game I got is Hot Shots Golf, which is quite fun. I also bought Ninja Gaiden off of PSN, but I'm still trying to download it. Thought about getting Uncharted, but realized I wouldn't even pay $50 for a full-fledged PS3 Uncharted, so why would I pay that much for a 2nd rate Vita Uncharted? Sure it's probably one of the best games to show off the system's graphical capabilities right now, but I can wait for games that are pretty, fun AND worth the asking price.

Last edited:
Back