The PS VITA Thread - New '2000' Model

• Thread starter Robin
  • 680 comments
I find it funny that the Vita has cross game voice chat already announced but the PS3 still doesn't do it all these years on. Apparently its due to the Vita have more ram than the PS3.

[youtubehd]UJSveVT6zpc[/youtubehd]

There ya go. The interface looks like a weird combination between XMB, Xbox dashboard and iOS. Not sure if it'll be good or bad... could go either way depending on how well it's implemented. :P

Also, apparently they're porting Final Fantasy X to the Vita, and the Zone of the Enders and Metal Gear Solid collections are also coming for the Vita.

Great more retro games.

Battery life between 3 to 5 hours. Dependant on WiFi and power saving mode I expect.
2 hours 40 minutes to recharge.
It will barely charge as your playing it, it would seem.

Not great but considering what it's packing not too bad.

Does it play PSP games too?

Last edited:
I don't think it will. The VITA uses cards similar to the DS while the PSP uses UMDs. The only way you could get them to work is from the PS Store.

That's a shame.

Hope Sony are aware if they ever want to bring out a Vita Lite a popular dairy spread might gave something to say about that.

Underwhelming battery life and expensive propietary memory cards. This is starting to sound like the original PSP launch all over again. :nervous:

4GB - 2,200 yen, about $29)
8GB - 3,200 yen, $42)
16GB - 5,500 yen, $72)
32GB - 9,500 yen, $124)

Underwhelming battery life and expensive propietary memory cards. This is starting to sound like the original PSP launch all over again. :nervous:

4GB - 2,200 yen, about $29)
8GB - 3,200 yen, $42)
16GB - 5,500 yen, $72)
32GB - 9,500 yen, $124)

Wait, it doesn't have any built in memory?

You can buy an extra power pack apparently.
Not sure how this fits on, baring in mind the back of the system is touch sensitive.

So that's memory card and power pack to add to shopping list.

At least it comes with dual sticks as standard. Not like the 3DS which looks awful.

F1 2011 (or maybe it will be 2012 by then) is coming to Vita also a new Ridge Racer. Confirmed you can do all the social stuff on it including Facebook, Skype etc and play PS3 games on it via remote play.

Wait, it doesn't have any built in memory?
Nope, no built in memory. However I was reading that since the games are on flash based storage on some games (presumably the ones that don't take up all the space on the card) you can save to the game card itself.

I like that they don't have 8 different SKU's for internal memory and 3G. You don't need the battery extender if you are like me and never played for more that 2 hours off the charger.

Getting the 32GB card which should be $100. I just did a little searching and most retail high speed 32GB memory cards are more than $100 "msrp". The cheap ones have much slower transfer rates.

It's like they give you a base system that you build on to your needs. Right now $350 is what my system will cost right now. That's probably why Kaz Hari said they are not making any decisions based on what Nintendo is doing.

209362.jpg

:ouch:

I found this to be both sad and hilarious.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1110/game111029b.shtml

During a PS Vita Press Conference on Friday, Sony Computer Entertainment Taiwan announced the PS Vita will launch in Taiwan on December 23, at the conference SCET's new spokeswoman Rainie Yang, a well known celebrity in Taiwan, came out and spoke to the media. At the stage when asked about her favorite PlayStation game, Rainie claimed that her favorite is Nintendo's "Super Mario Bros" - a game that never appeared on PS platforms.

Her answer wowed the crowd at the press confernece, aware that something went wrong, she started posing to the media to divert the attention. However when she started holding the PS Vita on her hand, she held it upside down, and of course she wowed the media again with her reckless behavior! It seems she is either clueless on video games, or she hates Sony.
2r6fvvt.jpg

Secretly hired Microsoft agent me thinks :lol:

Well what would you expect, she probably never played a video game in her life!

the memory cards are sd cards aren't they? cant it take sd cards other than sony's ultra expensive ones?

No their not, they are proprietary PS Vita game cards that just happen to look similar to SD cards. Memory Stick M2 will be the memory card storage format. So yes pretty pricey all round!

Also certain games are unplayable without a memory card. Uncharted being one of them.

Stealth costs lol. Couldn't they have added memory to the game cartridge

this console is a definite purchase for me anyway, and ill hopefully have a job by the release date. then the sd cards shouldnt be too much of a problem. still dont think the 3g is worth it though

So the release is in February for NA?

Also, where do i pre-order a Japanese import?

Ill be curious to see which games can be Remote play-ed.

PS Vita-specific memory cards? Thats garbage. Why not use SD cards, the standard for flash storage?

PS Vita-specific memory cards? Thats garbage. Why not use SD cards, the standard for flash storage?

To make it harder for pirates, obviously. That's the only reason for most non-standard form factor media anyway.

Those new mem card for Vita would not make things for pirates any harder.

PSP Vita can be connected to pc using usb cable, so probably this is how pirates would copy games from mem card to pc, crack them and share via internet.

Just put your game into psp vita, connect psp to pc, use some special written program do copy game from mem card to pc. Then use crack method and share on internet. Simple even for me 👍

Although i don't understand why sony invest money into hand-head gaming device when we all have very powerful smart phones. Hand-head gaming devices like psp, nintendo ds are pretty much useless this days.

Those new mem card for Vita would not make things for pirates any harder.

PSP Vita can be connected to pc using usb cable, so probably this is how pirates would copy games from mem card to pc, crack them and share via internet.

Just put your game into psp vita, connect psp to pc, use some special written program do copy game from mem card to pc. Then use crack method and share on internet. Simple even for me 👍

Riiight. Because you know that Sony is stupid enough to allow direct file access to the game chip so that you can make an image of the game file. And "some special written software" is easy for anyone to knock together. No problem.

I mean, you've been able to network your PS3 to your computer since day one, and we all know how long it took people to manage to get anywhere with that one.

No, it's not impossible like you saying. It's possible and it's going to happen. Hacking is not a race you have to understand so giving a time we all finally see hacked psp vita, games being copied from new mem cards. And the most important is that when it's going to be available to anyone then prices of psp vita will be much less than 300$. Especially second handed. 👍

Sony is not stupid, but does not make things impossible. I;m not big fan of hacking and piracy but i do have hacked ps3 and i absolutely love it :) And if games like uncharted and wipeout are coming to little sony then count me in. But off course not for price of 300$ for machine and i don't know how much for games on mem cards :ill:

No, it's not impossible like you saying. It's possible and it's going to happen. Hacking is not a race you have to understand so giving a time we all finally see hacked psp vita, games being copied from new mem cards. And the most important is that when it's going to be available to anyone then prices of psp vita will be much less than 300$. Especially second handed. 👍

Sony is not stupid, but does not make things impossible. I;m not big fan of hacking and piracy but i do have hacked ps3 and i absolutely love it :) And if games like uncharted and wipeout are coming to little sony then count me in. But off course not for price of 300$ for machine and i don't know how much for games on mem cards :ill:

Where did I say it was impossible? Of course it will be done eventually, all consoles end up being hacked. Any protection they use is only ever going to slow down a console being hacked.

But it's not as easy as simply plugging your Vita into your computer and knocking together "some special written software". It just isn't. People put serious amounts of work into hacking these things. It may happen quickly, as it did for PSP, or it may be slower like the PS3.

Things like the non-standard form factor memory cards create additional obstacles to be overcome for the hackers, slowing the process down. The would-be hacker then needs to either create an adapter to allow direct connection of the card to the PC in order to read it, or has to work through the Vita which Sony has a reasonable amount of control over.

I'm also goign to be bummed that the whole thing will likely be PS Store only, and I doubt there will be very many apps(Redlaser, Angry Birds, Yelp, Google Earth, ESPN, Skype[No Skype would mean a wasted opportunity for Face-time-like stuff] AIM, etc). I think I'll hold off on getting one till I have more info about it.

Edit:embarrassed:bviously, I know it isn't already out

Wow ridge racer comes with 3 tracks and 5 cars with DLC to follow.

30FPS.

F1 2011 3ds hits 60fps in 2d mode.

Something don't add up.

You don't have to buy ridger racer for psp vita. If you played RR7 on ps3 then you notice it's the same game. Same tracks same cars. Borrring :yuck: 👎

Back