The SL55 cant be THIS bad??

• Thread starter blademask
  • 133 comments
I'm not sure what you mean but I get a 2:22 with the SL55 AMG round suzuka, and i'm slow, isn't the best time a 2:18?

The F430 and M3 are both in completely different classes of cars, they're built to handle and drive well, the SL55 is built basically as a Grand Tourer, the highway cruiser so to speak, not a sports car.

Its heavy with soft suspension, of courses its bouncy and quite slow for its output lol.

The bouncing is the driver's aids isn't it? Even when they're off they stay on, and they try and contain all the sliding and wheel spin and weight rather unseuccessfully and thus the bouncing. It was on Top Gear once.

I think it's the way the Suspension in rear is build. Since it's a heavy car, they try to make it lil stiffer, and there for is bouncy like that. It's a NOSE heavy car with lighter boot. I know KAZ has this car in real life as a everyday driver. Buy WHY this one in GT5PROLOGUE? I would choose something more sporty, like the new CLK 63 AMG! or CLK DTM *Street version, not actual racing one*. There cars are one of best sports cars to come out from a Mercedes and can handle all M series with no problem and keep up with LAMBOS even.

Last edited:
My bro has an SL55 and all I know is that on the highway its a nice car to drive... around the track it is not... He did go to AMG and had the suspension tweaked and new brakes put on.... so maybe it WILL handle better on the track but my bro is not much of a racer... so I think I'll never be able to find out... unless I borrow it... AHHAHAHA but he's probably not up for me borrowing his 120,000 euro car... LOL My bro tried out the SL55 in GT5:P and said it was pretty accurate to his knowledge...

I think it's the way the Suspension in rear is build. Since it's a heavy car, they try to make it lil stiffer, and there for is bouncy like that. It's a NOSE heavy car with lighter boot. I know KAZ has this car in real life as a everyday driver. Buy WHY this one in GT5PROLOGUE? I would choose something more sporty, like the new CLK 63 AMG! or CLK DTM *Street version, not actual racing one*. There cars are one of best sports cars to come out from a Mercedes and can handle all M series with no problem and keep up with LAMBOS even.

Or one of the new Black Series models... that new SL65 Black Series IS SMOKING!!! :crazy::sly:

Well, you're bro should get the new 2009 SL's
They seem to look much nicer and they finally remade the suspension.

I am sorry for double post.. I can say I did push EDIT button... right after i press QUOTE by accident.. :ouch:

Or one of the new Black Series models... that new SL65 Black Series IS SMOKING!!! :crazy::sly:

Yeah they look sooo sweet. I was watching TOP gear, They say the car has over 1000 pound feet of torque. So actually that is enough to rotate earth ;)
I think Chuck Norris would be kind of guy to have balls enough to drive.

But I am little dissapointed that GT4 and GT5P does not have DECENT Mercedes-Benz selection. Since it's pretty much first car in the world, they should give more cars and sports cars included in the game.

Last edited:

Yeah I told him as well but he doesnt like the new design much... He's gonna keep this one still for a while, oh well its his car and money... he can do what he wants... If it was me and I had that kind of money, I would be knocking on the door of Top Secret or Mines right now for a crazy R34 to take back with me to Holland :) Ok thats enough off-topic posting for me :) dont wanna flood this thread with too much off-topic stuff :P

well according to top gear when they tested the Sl55 it was "very wet" outside. So here some other "very wet" times to compare it to.

1:28.5 – Dodge Viper SRT-10 (very wet)
1:31.0 – Porsche 911 Turbo (very wet)
1:31.6 – 2003 Honda NSX Type-R (very wet)
1:33.0 – Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG (very wet)
1:33.1 – Noble M12 GTO (very wet)
1:33.4 – Cadillac CTS-V (very wet)
1:35.2 – Ferrari 575M Maranello (very wet)
1:36.2 – Aston Martin V12 Vanquish (very wet)
1:36.2 – Renault Clio V6 Renault Sport (very wet)

Nothing in the video shows me that the bouncing is from the AIDS... Could be true.. But I still think it's as well the work of the suspension, the way car is made.
But either way, GT5P simulates the bounce well!

yeah,my bad...i thought this whas the topgear video- nd 4 Holden spd- whas talking about,but i whas wrong..:ouch:
did some more searching but can't find it anywhere..(anyone else has it??.....)
but i remember it clearly,they where driving the sl55 on the topgear track at a dry day,and you could clearly see all the aids in effect!!the car whas continiously correcting itself by the esp and especially the horizontal balancing part....this meens the car is being held horizontal by adjusting the pressures in the suspension(springs/shocks)in corners and during braking ...the result whas that the car looked like being on a verry bumby road beceause the system whas verry slow/not smooth...you could allmost see the system correcting itself by the second!!
this is now,in the new sl's ,much smoother and even more dramatic in the way that the car now allmost goos thru the corners like a boat!!...verry effective,but if you drive the car for the first time,verry wierd feeling!

so,i think PD has mimicked this car behaviour verry well indeed:)

spyrrari.

will try to find this video,it must be in a episode of topgear from about 3 or 4 years ago,so this could take a while,if anyone else finds it first,please show it !!!:sly:

Ok.. Sorry. I thought the highest time on Suzuka for:

SL55 s2/s2 Professional = 2'33 something or other. I am at work, and I cant confirm this. But I remember looking at it and thinking 'christ thats slow?'

I am usually in the top 50 when I just do hot laps that register online. I can totally drive the Ford GT/GTLM - GTR - F430 - 599 - TVR Tuscan - Audi R8 - G37 - TT - Art mortison - Z06 of the cars just fine. Because they all appear to abide by the rules of over/understeer.

With the Sl55, it seems that you just have to do everything really, REALLY slowly because the thing doesn't respond well. Great straight line performance, but I just found that it really does feel heavy, I'm sure you can tune it and get it working perfectly. But as far as bone stock out of the box, I think its one of the worst driving vehicles in the game. After I did a few laps, i took out the Mazda Rx8 and beat the times in the SL with ease.

Looks great though.

Car is good on it's own, but compared to sports cars, it's not as great. I would buy this for a reliable, smooth, automatic, comfortable ride, with AC and every little gadget. It still has the muscle, so its considered to be more of German Muscle Car then Sports car. So, handling or not, it's still fun to drive in real life road conditions. Too bad I dont have the money.

Car is good on it's own, but compared to sports cars, it's not as great. I would buy this for a reliable, smooth, automatic, comfortable ride, with AC and every little gadget. It still has the muscle, so its considered to be more of German Muscle Car then Sports car. So, handling or not, it's still fun to drive in real life road conditions. Too bad I dont have the money.

Yeah. Im sure of all of that, I just expected the 55 to be a bit more track worthy. Kind of a german corvette. I do think its exaggerated in the game.

It's not a BAD car.. but to drive it as one of the first cars when you just got your G25..it's not that easy.. and yes..the car's weight is just too heavy

I watched that last night, and indeed that's not the one.

Nothing in the video shows me that the bouncing is from the AIDS... Could be true.. But I still think it's as well the work of the suspension, the way car is made.
But either way, GT5P simulates the bounce well!

That was also the last generation SL55

yeah,my bad...i thought this whas the topgear video- nd 4 Holden spd- whas talking about,but i whas wrong..:ouch:
did some more searching but can't find it anywhere..(anyone else has it??.....)
but i remember it clearly,they where driving the sl55 on the topgear track at a dry day,and you could clearly see all the aids in effect!!the car whas continiously correcting itself by the esp and especially the horizontal balancing part....this meens the car is being held horizontal by adjusting the pressures in the suspension(springs/shocks)in corners and during braking ...the result whas that the car looked like being on a verry bumby road beceause the system whas verry slow/not smooth...you could allmost see the system correcting itself by the second!!
this is now,in the new sl's ,much smoother and even more dramatic in the way that the car now allmost goos thru the corners like a boat!!...verry effective,but if you drive the car for the first time,verry wierd feeling!

so,i think PD has mimicked this car behaviour verry well indeed:)

spyrrari.

will try to find this video,it must be in a episode of topgear from about 3 or 4 years ago,so this could take a while,if anyone else finds it first,please show it !!!:sly:

I think it might have been the SL65 AMG, but I can't find the damn video either, but remember it well. Since then though, the driver's aids have probably been mimicked in the SL55 and SL65.

Edit: It was the Brabus S based on the SL65 AMG, still the same driver aids, here you go:

Yes you are right, at least it should have performance of a corvette.

Yeah. Im sure of all of that, I just expected the 55 to be a bit more track worthy. Kind of a german corvette. I do think its exaggerated in the game.

:lol: :lol: You guys think an SL55 matches a Corvette.:lol: Maybe a C4......:P

Last edited:
the sl55 is definitely a grand tourer alright, it's how germans make cars, lot of power, lot of weight, lot of gadgets, and lot of comfort

Latest Posts

Back