The SL55 cant be THIS bad??

• Thread starter blademask
  • 133 comments
Is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that we are talking about how heavy the SL is when the SL originally was short for 'Sport Leicht'?

I realize the original comments that brought the Corvette into this thread were what someone said the SL55 should be like, not what it should be compared to. If you want a GM car to compare the SL55 it should be the Cadillac 2 dr convertible, but we don't have that in the game and I don't think Top Gear has tested it so I guess this is a pointless paragraph.

The Cadillac XLR-V?:drool:
The Cadillac convertible based on a Corvette platform, there is an all new one coming soon, but here's the old one:
Weight: 1740kg
Power: 330kw
0-100km/hr: Under 5sec
1.jpg

I like this car, pretty cool converible, and very unknown to most and probably under rated.
Edit: I would not be surprised if the new one gets the LSA.

Last edited:
Actually, both the GTR and the F430 Scuderia got a 1'19.7 lap time in Top Gear. F430 was on street summer tires, Pirelli PZeros. The GTR was on a much more aggressive tire, Bridgestoe Potenza RE070R. Also, the F430 is just a refinement of a 2006 chassis, while the GTR is a brand new 2009 chassis.

Honestly though, there are a few cars that are cheaper and faster than the F430 and F430 Scuderia. But flat out single lap time performance is not the main reason why all of Ferrari's models have a 2 year plus waiting list, and are priced $50,000 to $100,000 over MSRP.

I agree, when you buy a Ferrari, your buying a Ferrari, your paying as much for the tag as you are for the performance. :lol: But hey, if you've got that much money...

Luke

Heh, I would buy a buy a late 80s early 90s E class Mercedes, They should cost less then 10k. Turn it into a racer for 100K, and still have money left over, and it will be HECK load faster then the Ferrari and Turn better then Ferrari. ;) Hey it's possible, only if I had some/A LOTE of money! A garage and team crew.

The Cadillac vs the SL55, 55 would win ;).

Heh, I would buy a buy a late 80s early 90s E class Mercedes, They should cost less then 10k. Turn it into a racer for 100K, and still have money left over, and it will be HECK load faster then the Ferrari and Turn better then Ferrari. ;) Hey it's possible, only if I had some/A LOTE of money! A garage and team crew.

I would just buy a 91 MKII MR2 for around 6,000-8,000 put about 20,000, and we're talking about SMKOKING Ferrari's ;) But, it's still not the same as a Ferrari, no one looks at an MR2 badge and then drools with jealousy, with a Ferrari, everyone does. That's all I was trying to say.

Luke

Yeah, there are so many possibilities.
Monster Miata anyone?

:lol: Nice. The only problem with monster Miata's is that they are so light in the back (where the drive tires are) they have trouble putting that power to the road effectively. They do a lot of tire spinning. Well at least without 13"+ tires on the back.

Luke

:lol: Nice. The only problem with monster Miata's is that they are so light in the back (where the drive tires are) they have trouble putting that power to the road effectively. They do a lot of tire spinning. Well at least without 13"+ tires on the back.

Luke

13 inch? NO no, LOL, many people Upgrade the real axel (or whatever you wanna call it) and they put 17+ inch tires, as well WIDER ones. Usually the distribution is 53/47 or was it 57/43 but either way, they still considered good.

I found one more video, I think most of them have the 5.0 (4.9) engines, that have around *this may not be accurate* but at around 150HP, and 150lbs
I would rather get a mid 90's mercedes V8s from the e500s. They offer a heck more power and as well long lasting engines.. 5.0L 315 hp :) vs 5.0L mustangs 250 below HP.
Man i sound like a MERC fan.. oh wait I am :D

The Cadillac XLR-V?:drool:
The Cadillac convertible based on a Corvette platform, there is an all new one coming soon, but here's the old one:
Weight: 1740kg
Power: 330kw
0-100km/hr: Under 5sec
1.jpg

I like this car, pretty cool converible, and very unknown to most and probably under rated.
Edit: I would not be surprised if the new one gets the LSA.
It's not a bad car, but GM severely hurt this car when they set the price. It's 6-digit tag is way too much for what you're getting. Performance has been called decent, interior is supposedly nicer than most of the other Cadillac models, but still has its flaws, and the ride has issues. That kind of money can buy various Porsches, a Jaguar XKR, or even a M6. Hell, you could even buy a used Maranello for a XLR-V's tag.

In the end, the XLR/V are not terrible cars, but as I've said on this forum before, Cadillac are not ready to be competing with BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes' $100,000 cars as they simply blow the XLR-V away. If anything, lower the XLR to $50K & the V model to $70-$75K. Def. a more suitable range & car to compete with the 6 Series than the bigger M sister.

Of course, the SL55 has much more POWARR! When the new XLR-V comes with hopefully an LSA it will be very fast though.

That Caddy is so damn ugly car. 100k for it? heck no.

You are............. (see next quote)

agree,if someone would say it whas made in the 80's,i would believe it straight away...:)

spyrrari.

........so wrong. It's a nice looking roadster, and will get better.

'Nice looking' is subjective, I'm personally in the group of people that find it fugly.

Though I agree it'll get better, because it can't get worse than that.

'Nice looking' is subjective, I'm personally in the group of people that find it fugly.

Though I agree it'll get better, because it can't get worse than that.

Fine, not ugly, but gnarly (an Aussie term for awesome/cool)

Should I take this personally?
Besides if that car was soo damn good looking, why is not selling? Most people buy cars for looks rather then performance.

No, I said see next quote, which as a whole read: "You are so wrong". I disagreed with you, I wasn't bleeping out an insult or anything.:)

Back to the issue of the SL55, I think some people have forgotten that it IS an AMG after all and with 470-odd BHP you're looking at GT-R power in a luxury roadster with stiffened suspension, bigger, wider rims and all the wizardry that AMG can throw at it. The engine is hand-fettled from the SL's stock 305bhp output, so what you're looking at is a rather special piece of kit.

BUT...

It does handle like a bit of a barge, the car understeers like a tank on ice and that god-awful front-end skip is near unbearable. I find it very hard to believe that a proper SL55AMG could handle this poorly - there is no way in the nine moons that AMG would risk their reputation on Hop-Along-SL55-Cassidy if it really did handle like this.

Exaggerated handling in GT5P? Perhaps. I know a few SL55AMG owners who say the car is brilliant, but these guys WOULD because they shelled out stupid amounts of money for one. Hehe, you wouldn't bag a car you paid house-sized money for would you?

You may as well paint TOOL across your forehead and walk around in a hula-skirt all day long.

At the end of the day, the SL55 AMG is now six years old, being a 2002 model and when you compare it with any car of it's day, it really is a stonking piece of machinery. Forget the new GT-R, the new Z06, the new M3, tell me about a car that could outrun the SL55 AMG back in 2002 with ease.

The Viper perhaps? Hmmmm.... not easy.

The DB9? Wasn't around in 2002, Aston were still tinkering with the DB7 if memory serves me correctly. No DB7 will keep up with the SL55AMG.

The old M3? Great car, awesome car even. Much better chassis, but the M3 will get left for dead in a straight line and I'm not convinced that the BMW has that much of an advantage through corners to make up for a 130hp engine deficit.

What else is there?

Good Point, we are comparing new VS old. In 2002 not many cars could out run it. Only those more expensive Ferraris I bet..

tell me about a car that could outrun the SL55 AMG back in 2002 with ease.

In a straight line, I'll admit there's not much, but if you mean corners I'd say- Skyline (I mean R32-34, not R35) maybe, Lancer Evo (not the VII) and Impreza (WRX STi) possibly, NSX definitely... Basically any fast Japanese car, and I'm sure many others like Caterhams, Atoms, Exige, fast FWD cars. People say FWD's suck, but on a twisty road a hot hatch that can achieve some degree of lift-off oversteer will often outrun a RWD, mainly because you can get back on the power so much more quickly.

My Dad used to have an SL600 with AMG suspension off the 55, so thats a twin biturbo V12 instead of the supercharged V10, if I remember correctly (or was the 55 AMG a V12 S/C, and the 500 the V10?), maybe not as fast but with comparable weight and the same suspension. It was really, really, really, really fast, but had quite a soft, wallowy ride for the reasons that have already been explained.

The SL name is just marketing, since Merc came up with the 300SL, the first ever supercar, it makes sense for their then nearest supercar to be called the SL as well, although the SLR (named after the 300SLR) is technically their current supercar. And the reason I say that the SLR is their supercar instead of the SL63 AMG Black Series, which is faster and cheaper, is because part of the point of a supercar is that its stupidly expensive.

Anyway, I don't think anyone should be surprised by the SL's absolute lack of handling if they know even the basics about cars. I mean just by looking at it you can tell it's not designed to handle well, with the stupid length of the bonnet, under which lies a 5.5 litre V12, or V10, I can't remember which the 55 has, which is never going to be a light engine anyway. Then consider that it's a Mercedes Benz, which is a marque more concerned with going very, very fast and doing so in comfort and style, hence the interior is all leather and carpet with a lot of soundproofing, and again if I remember correctly (my Dad had his back in 2005 and I may be getting mixed up with his CL500), a 10-speaker sound system complete with a subwoofer! Then there's the fact that its about 10,000 feet long in total anyway, with a folding metal roof which are known for adding a lot of weight and not helping the torsional rigidity of a car (you remember how the handling went out on GT4 when the chassis got all bent out of shape?).

Compare this to cars that handle well. The MX-5/Eunos/Miata has a 50/50 weight distribution, is quite small, very low, doesn't weigh all that much at all and has a 1.6 litre I4. NSX has a mid-mounted V6 and was the first production car to use aluminium for its chassis, and is known for it's incredible cornering speeds. The R32-34 Skyline GT-R uses HICAS (four wheel steering) and ATTESA-ETS (torque splitting and bias between each wheel) to conceal the fact that it weighs almost 2000kg (the SL600 weighs around 2500kg, not sure if the 55AMG is much lighter than that) quite well, the Evo has it's Super AYC which can create a turning moment by differentiating the torque between each corner of the car (like ATTESA-ETS), and the Impreza has a Boxer engine which gives it a very low centre of gravity. Two things they all have in common (I think, anyway) is that they're shorter and lighter than the SL. Weight and Length of a car impact the handling more than anything, although thinking about it the SL probably has quite good weight distribution given that it's got a huge engine up front, complete with a huge radiator full of huge water and probably quite a bit of oil, and a heavy automatic gearbox, and in the back its got all the extra weight of a well-made and luxurious interior and the folding metal roof.

The SL55 AMG has none of those things.

But fair enough I say, the car is designed for the Autobahn, not the Nurburgring, if they wanted to make it good at going around corners they'd just do exactly what they have done with the SL63 AMG Black Series. Which I love.

And for anyone who says the GT handling is exaggerated, just watch the Top Gear hot lap, the thing just can't take corners! No one who owns one would admit to that, though, either because they don't want to admit their £70,000+ car is bad in any way, or they just haven't had the balls to drive it fast enough to find out. And that's fair enough, given what other people have said I wouldn't want to be going 100+mph only to find that it really actually can't take corners after all!

Finally, if you find any particularly questionable opinions or things I state as facts in this post, all I can say is its 3am, I'm quite tired and I do love Japanese cars, so I might be a bit biased. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back to the issue of the SL55, I think some people have forgotten that it IS an AMG after all and with 470-odd BHP you're looking at GT-R power in a luxury roadster with stiffened suspension, bigger, wider rims and all the wizardry that AMG can throw at it. The engine is hand-fettled from the SL's stock 305bhp output, so what you're looking at is a rather special piece of kit.

BUT...

It does handle like a bit of a barge, the car understeers like a tank on ice and that god-awful front-end skip is near unbearable. I find it very hard to believe that a proper SL55AMG could handle this poorly - there is no way in the nine moons that AMG would risk their reputation on Hop-Along-SL55-Cassidy if it really did handle like this.

Exaggerated handling in GT5P? Perhaps. I know a few SL55AMG owners who say the car is brilliant, but these guys WOULD because they shelled out stupid amounts of money for one. Hehe, you wouldn't bag a car you paid house-sized money for would you?

You may as well paint TOOL across your forehead and walk around in a hula-skirt all day long.

At the end of the day, the SL55 AMG is now six years old, being a 2002 model and when you compare it with any car of it's day, it really is a stonking piece of machinery. Forget the new GT-R, the new Z06, the new M3, tell me about a car that could outrun the SL55 AMG back in 2002 with ease.

The Viper perhaps? Hmmmm.... not easy.

The DB9? Wasn't around in 2002, Aston were still tinkering with the DB7 if memory serves me correctly. No DB7 will keep up with the SL55AMG.

The old M3? Great car, awesome car even. Much better chassis, but the M3 will get left for dead in a straight line and I'm not convinced that the BMW has that much of an advantage through corners to make up for a 130hp engine deficit.

What else is there?

I bet the M3, the C5 Z06, the Japanese sports cars (as mentioned) + many more could all outrun the SL55 on a track back in 2002.

I bet the M3, the C5 Z06, the Japanese sports cars (as mentioned) + many more could all outrun the SL55 on a track back in 2002.

And you'd bet wrong 50% of the time. The SL55 AMG can run with a C5 Z06 & a M3 on the track. It only depends on the track being used.

Well try to push Ford GT in banked corner and SL feels like lotus elise :) But anyways i have to buy this in game to test.

Last edited:
Reventón;3134851
The SL55 AMG can run with a C5 Z06 & a M3 on the track. It only depends on the track being used.

So true , but remember one thing , the car is only as good as the man holding the steering wheel.

Using the same driver however , will show the difference the track makes as well.

We would need to buy a real SL55 from that year, and real Vette from that year, as well we need to go to a race track and one guy do both cars each for time attack. Anyone has the money for that? :D

The C5 Z06 only had 390bhp. The M3 even less than that. The Corvette isn't a special car at handling either, it steers like pig without the magnetic suspension it has now. The old Z06 was nothing like the new car and I doubt very much it could wipe the floor with AMG's finest.

I wonder what they were like around the Suzuka in GT4?

And Neema-t, you're telling me your dad had a CL600 Merc and you can't remember what sort of engine it had in it?! My dad has a lawnmower and I know that it's got a 60cc engine in it, hehe!

We would need to buy a real SL55 from that year, and real Vette from that year, as well we need to go to a race track and one guy do both cars each for time attack. Anyone has the money for that? :D
Why do that when it's already been done by SportAuto? 💡

Reventón;3134851
And you'd bet wrong 50% of the time. The SL55 AMG can run with a C5 Z06 & a M3 on the track. It only depends on the track being used.

Running with, and running a couple seconds slower are almost the same thing, and a couple seconds is a couple seconds.:P

The C5 Z06 only had 390bhp. The M3 even less than that. The Corvette isn't a special car at handling either, it steers like pig without the magnetic suspension it has now. The old Z06 was nothing like the new car and I doubt very much it could wipe the floor with AMG's finest.

I wonder what they were like around the Suzuka in GT4?

And Neema-t, you're telling me your dad had a CL600 Merc and you can't remember what sort of engine it had in it?! My dad has a lawnmower and I know that it's got a 60cc engine in it, hehe!

Have we not already discussed it in this thread? The C5 Z06 beats the SL55 AMG on both the Ring and Top Gear test track, and the M3 is probably quicker.

Back