The SL55 cant be THIS bad??

• Thread starter blademask
  • 133 comments
Since people think that the SL55 is fast, why don't we have a little look at this shall we
A race between the SL55, RX-8, MX-5, Elise, S2000, and M3 CSL at Tsukuba

This is diffrent skill drivers, and they are not TRUE!... These are the same guys that say Toyota GT-Four was faster then RX7 or EVO VI.. It's a show.
Look at the track, its full of turns, SL55 shines in FUJI and its pretty OK in SUZUKA, in this track its not good since drives do not push the cars and each driver has different skill level. If you put top driver in the world in the SL55 he could be in good spot.. It is a fast car. Just face it ;)

Reventón;3153597
It's regardless. The older SL55 AMG isn't going to be putting down a M3 or R8, especially on a track like Suzuka.
Did you see what I posted.. R8 was faster then old SL55...

This is for TOP GEAR Test Track...
Not a good straight away. For the SL55 to shine.

One driver.. THE STIG *ok 2 drivers ;)*
1:31.8 – BMW M3 E46 Not as new as NEW M3 but old M3 or new M3 won't make much differance about 1-2 second difference.
1:33.0 – Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG (very wet) Again. 2 seconds SLOW yet its a wet TRACK!
1:24.4 – Audi R8
1:20.9 – Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren *why can't this bad boy be in GT5P?*

Face it guys, SL55 can keep up with M3, some tracks it may win, some tracks, it cant..

Last edited:
But did you see the weak point of the SL55? After it passed RX-8 it had one entire lap to catch up to the S2000 and Elise, sure it will dominate them 2 on the straight at Fuji but it will be encountering those corners

Last edited:
Like I say, it's a show, not a real race, they are not pushing cars, each driver is different.

Like I say, it's a show, not a real race, they are not pushing cars, each driver is different.

Okay, I'll do a time attack on SL55 and some other cars, and since the manual did show the type of tires that were recommended for true to real life grip on the cars, that will make fair times. I'll race them at Fuji and I'll push them to the limit as hard as I can. How does that sound? ;)

They are pushing the cars, they may not be going for blood but it's still a indication of where the car stands on that track. Which is not a track the SL55 would shine on anyway.

I do have to admit it's not the best way to show the SL55 was fast, but at least you can see how it would end up if it was on the twisty tracks, all cars have a strong and weak point. This track showed the SL55's weak point very well. That's all I wanted to show though. :)

Last edited:
Well Yeah, SL is a heavy beast, but once on a straight away its pretty fast.

Anyone has any video reviews from shows with new SL63 or 65 amg?

The reviews are pretty the equivalent of the SL55 & SL65 AMG of the previous generation. Heavy car, amazing straight line performance, pricey, but overall, a great car. Their opinions on the looks vary, though. Some hate it, some love it.

Most flaws, though, seemed to be aimed at the steering and ride over certain roads.

EVO claim that the SL55 is (and I quote) "as fast as a Murcielago, just not as much fun." I took that to be in a straight line... There's no way in the nine hells that a Murcie would have an AMG on it's tailpipe for very long, around a circuit hehe.

They did test an E46 M3 CS around Bedford and it was only two tenths faster than the AMG SL55 after pulling a 1'29.80. The E92 M3 V8 was 4.6 seconds quicker around the circuit than the SL55 and put in a 1'26.40.

The R8 was 4.5 seconds quicker yet again!

Two tenths lost against an M3 CS isn't bad in my opinion, but then again, I can't trust the validity of their data simply because different driver's are used.

EVO claim that the SL55 is (and I quote) "as fast as a Murcielago, just not as much fun." I took that to be in a straight line... There's no way in the nine hells that a Murcie would have an AMG on it's tailpipe for very long, around a circuit hehe.

They did test an E46 M3 CS around Bedford and it was only two tenths faster than the AMG SL55 after pulling a 1'29.80. The E92 M3 V8 was 4.6 seconds quicker around the circuit than the SL55 and put in a 1'26.40.

The R8 was 4.5 seconds quicker yet again!

Two tenths lost against an M3 CS isn't bad in my opinion, but then again, I can't trust the validity of their data simply because different driver's are used.

EVO? Mitsubishi Evolution? I remeber they tested the 400 HP car vs the Murcielago, so sure that 400 HP evo does have a good or better chance then Sl55, but normal EVO has no chance.

The standard Mitsubishi Evo 260, which is I believe the 195kW model that we got here in Australia was only a second slower than the SL55 around Bedford, but the Evo IX FQ340 demolished some very expensive cars, including the Porsche 911 C4.

It's a real pity that we can't match the SL55 in game to any real life times. It would sure make it a lot easier - anyone done a real life lap of Suzuka or Fuji? Hehe!

;)

Latest Posts

Back