The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
The reason I said that is because T10 is ions ahead of PD in terms of how they record and recreate sound. It's cool that you are keeping your hopes up but knowing Kaz and PD's general approach, don't expect any major changes to how the game sounds. Are you on Forza BTW?

On achieving things, sure.. they could improve sounds, if they wanted to. But they won't. Just another "history repeating itself" episode.
I still stand by that people have the right to compare GT to any game out there. People that only think you can compare GT games vs GT games really need to take those rose tinted glasses off.

I still stand by that people have the right to compare GT to any game out there. People that only think you can compare GT games vs GT games really need to take those rose tinted glasses off.

Now look here, there's no need to be rude. Let me get this through to you again:

Compare a GT game with a racing game that actually makes sense, not one which is nearly miles ahead in terms of how car sounds are reproduced. I hope I got it through this time. You are practically comparing apples to oranges. Do you own any of the Forza games?

Go ahead though, make all the comparisons you wish; GTS will most likely disappoint in sound again.

Now look here, there's no need to be rude. Let me get this through to you again:

Compare a GT game with a racing game that actually makes sense, not one which is nearly miles ahead in terms of how car sounds are reproduced. I hope I got it through this time. You are practically comparing apples to oranges. Do you own any of the Forza games?

Go ahead though, make all the comparisons you wish; GTS will most likely disappoint in sound again.
Not sure where I was being rude but let's not be over sensitive about this we are talking the same thing. If we can not compare a racing game to a racing game I don't know what we can compare it too

FYI your opening statement is rude

Last edited:
That instantaneous shifting thing in GTSport is a real immersion killer. The off throttle and deceleration sounds in Forza are lightyears ahead. Engine sounds throatier and has more character as well. GTS is like a monotonous up and down pitch most of the time. GTS has a long way to go just to get to Forza sound levels IMO.

The gearshifts are wrong, but the reason they are is because they aren't fast enough!

DSG gearboxes have near instant gear shifts, yet on GTS it takes the TTS quite some time to change gear. It may be prevalent with all of the cars that have dual clutch gearboxes; you can hear the same thing on the GT3 RS trailer.

Not sure where I was being rude but lets nor be over sensitive about this we are talking the same thing. If we can not compare a racing game to a racing game I don't know what we can compare it too

FYI your opening statement is rude

Well then, lets leave it at that. To each their own.

The gearshifts are wrong, but the reason they are is because they aren't fast enough!

DSG gearboxes have near instant gear shifts, yet on GTS it takes the TTS quite some time to change gear. It may be prevalent with all of the cars that have dual clutch gearboxes; you can hear the same thing on the GT3 RS trailer.

Hmm, looks like their "research" is going to be off for another generation. So much for resurrecting true car audio. It still kills me somewhat to practically grow up on the GT games, something I enjoyed playing immensely back in those days, and see them come to this nearly 20 years later.

They are having their rear handed to them on a platter by competing franchises. Hey, do you suppose Kaz hears blenders and vacuum cleaners instead when he drives for real out on the track? Just wondering..

Well, I after playing some Beta, there is something what is bothering me about the sound. I am very annoyed and distracted with the fact that in the group 3 and 4 cars there is an unexplainable wining. Is this supposed to be the transmission? It's (to) loud and I really never heard this sound before in any racecar (that loud) . It reminds me of an 6 year old trying to play a cheap violin, while you're racing. Maybe there are kids on the backseat of every group 3 and 4 car?

Well, I after playing some Beta, there is something what is bothering me about the sound. I am very annoyed and distracted with the fact that in the group 3 and 4 cars there is an unexplainable wining. Is this supposed to be the transmission? It's (to) loud and I really never heard this sound before in any racecar (that loud) . It reminds me of an 6 year old trying to play a cheap violin, while you're racing. Maybe there are kids on the backseat of every group 3 and 4 car?

It's a straight cut gear transmission. Watch some GT3 cars onboard you can hear it. But in GTSport the whine are overpowering the sound of the engine, it is also obnoxious and loud.

Here is an example

It's a straight cut gear transmission. Watch some GT3 cars onboard you can hear it. But in GTSport the whine are overpowering the sound of the engine, it is also obnoxious and loud.

Here is an example

I play with 7.1 and I don't get the feeling the transmission is over powering the engine, its only a little louder than AC in my opinion. When the Beta first came out it was unbalanced, but after the two updates it sounds good to me.

The sample is correct.

Loving the shifter sound effect in the interior view.

Blow off noise both in and out :drool:.

Mixing sounds A LOT better than GT6, my opinion of course.

The only things that need sorting are: the upshift sounds, the sounds need to be a little more visceral in the engine and exhaust department, addition of induction noise, varieties in sounds(Ie Blow off noises, tyres, differences between a road car and race car interior etc) some knocking and bumping sounds both in the interior and exterior view when going over bumps. After those are added, I'll say that GTSports sounds are on point 👍

They're slowly getting there with the sounds.... Read my quote.

I think the instantaneous, impossibly smooth shifts take away from the sound quite a bit.

Even an F1 car has some burble and RPM wobble as the engine and trans equalize.

When a car shifts in GT its so instant and flawless it's like it just cuts to another part of the video

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

If GTSport can replicate the farts and nature of a DSG/Dual CLutch transmission then I'll give PD juice.

Assetto Corsa and Driveclub could do it, I think PD can too. Bring on the farts.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

If GTSport can replicate the farts and nature of a DSG/Dual CLutch transmission then I'll give PD juice.

Assetto Corsa and Driveclub could do it, I think PD can too. Bring on the farts.
If you race against an TTS you can actualy hear the fart when right behind the exhaust, but when driving it in any view you don't hear it, I dont get it. They also have to make the Renault exhaust burble and pop, the only game that did it right is Pcars out of FM6 GTS.

If you race against an TTS you can actualy hear the fart when right behind the exhaust, but when driving it in any view you don't hear it, I dont get it. They also have to make the Renault exhaust burble and pop, the only game that did it right is Pcars out of FM6 GTS.

I'm curious to hear the TTS actually. Lemme do some Youtube Research.

Driveclub also did the Renault some justice. i remember using the Pcars one but I think I'll refresh my sound memory.

I play with 7.1 and I don't get the feeling the transmission is over powering the engine, its only a little louder than AC in my opinion. When the Beta first came out it was unbalanced, but after the two updates it sounds good to me.

I don't have the beta, but on youtube the audio level is very low and all I can hear from cars is transmission whine.

I don't have the beta, but on youtube the audio level is very low and all I can hear from cars is transmission whine.
I fully understand and I agree with you with the youtube video being crazy loud with the whine. Hopefully you get the beta so you can see what I mean My new Favorite car the McLaren Gr.3 sounds amazing, especially in replay mode.

Ah it's not as overpowering as this ;)

I think Rolf is deaf right now :indiff:

Onboard cameras can be somewhat misleading and because simple sound recordings are picking up high pitch sounds more easily then bass or low rumbles. And there are a lot of GTE/GT3GT4 cars that don't make the wining sound. But it's true, for some cars the sound can be the real thing.
I just hope PD going to realize that the sound has to change a bit, but because it's a game. It's has to be enjoyable.

That sounds bad IMO, the transmission noise is different and too prominent compared to the engine note which isn't accurate and sounds very muted:
But yes, compared to previous GT's that would still be a major improvement :).
Why does it seem the dreaded whine "overshadows" every other sound in every race car? Are there any race cars it doesn't make itself so... known? It certainly doesn't help that it's the exact same whine, either, like a copy & paste in multiple cars.

I fully understand and I agree with you with the youtube video being crazy loud with the whine. Hopefully you get the beta so you can see what I mean My new Favorite car the McLaren Gr.3 sounds amazing, especially in replay mode.

I don't have a PS4 yet, but hopefully I get the chance to play it, so I can hear the sound improvements myself. Been waiting for this game since 2015 haha.

Why does it seem the dreaded whine "overshadows" every other sound in every race car? Are there any race cars it doesn't make itself so... known? It certainly doesn't help that it's the exact same whine, either, like a copy & paste in multiple cars.
I didn't notice yet the transmission whine was copy-pasted across race cars in the game. Makes sense though as to why it doesn't sound at all like the real life Mclaren. How many different samples are there, you noticed a couple of different ones already?

I didn't notice yet the transmission whine was copy-pasted across race cars in the game. Makes sense though as to why it doesn't sound at all like the real life Mclaren. How many different samples are there, you noticed a couple of different ones already?
Do you have the beta? The McLaren sounds spot on in my opinion, even the back fires.

Not really accurate but best video I could find of the DSG "Farts", it is not really there tho

Yes it is a 2015 version but just a demonstration of how it should sound

Take for example driveclub (note not the same car just a demonstration)

Not really accurate but best video I could find of the DSG "Farts", it is not really there tho

Yes it is a 2015 version but just a demonstration of how it should sound

Take for example driveclub (note not the same car just a demonstration)

Yea I agree with you man, and as I said before the only way I heard the noise you get from shifting was when I was racing an TTS online in bumper cam right behind it. Every other view it was nothing hopefully they add it in! They also have to make the Megane crackle and pop.

Do you have the beta? The McLaren sounds spot on in my opinion, even the back fires.
You mean to say Youtube videos sound nothing like the cars ingame? Because if you'd play both the real example next to the GTS onboard you can't not hear the obvious differences IMO.

You mean to say Youtube videos sound nothing like the cars ingame? Because if you'd play both the real example next to the GTS onboard you can't not hear the obvious differences IMO.
I just finished The 12 hour Bathurst endurance race and the GTS McLaren sounded pretty spot on In my opinion. Im not trying to be a smart ass at all, I was asking you do have the game because even though you can get an Idea from the youtube video from me actually playing the game on my surround sytem the sounds are a lot deeper and you also hear faint sounds like the exhuast pop and turbo spool and unwind. Its very similar to AC, but I think the AC version is a little better.

I just finished The 12 hour Bathurst endurance race and the GTS McLaren sounded pretty spot on In my opinion. Im not trying to be a smart ass at all, I was asking you do have the game because even though you can get an Idea from the youtube video from me actually playing the game on my surround sytem the sounds are a lot deeper and you also hear faint sounds like the exhuast pop and turbo spool and unwind. Its very similar to AC, but I think the AC version is a little better.
Ok no I don't have a console anymore so I'll have to take your word for it :). On the Youtube video it sounds pretty bad though.

Ok no I don't have a console anymore so I'll have to take your word for it :). On the Youtube video it sounds pretty bad though.
I just watched some youtube video and it sounds similar from what I hear except a little more detail from my system. So maybe we just like diffrent sounds, it sounds similar To AC but I feel AC is a bit better. I normally drive in cockpit and bumper cam.

Latest Posts

Back