The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments

The R8 GT3 is a bit weird. From the cockpit and third person camera it sounds spot on (and arguably more nuanced than AC).

It has a weird noise when approaching a replay camera though. The sad whale sound is annoying.

The R8 GT3 is a bit weird. From the cockpit and third person camera it sounds spot on (and arguably more nuanced than AC).

It has a weird noise when approaching a replay camera though. The sad whale sound is annoying.

Going somewhat off-topic here: what are your thoughts on the R8 GT3 in CARS and F6? It's the older version, however. I really like the F6 sample. Good benchmark.

Going somewhat off-topic here: what are your thoughts on the R8 GT3 in CARS and F6? It's the older version, however. I really like the F6 sample. Good benchmark.

The one in cars was good but had that annoying shifting sound. Didn't play F6.

The annoying shifting sound can be dialed out by turning Autoclutch off. And you have got to try out FM6, you're missing out!

However, 7 is right around the corner so...
I didn't know you could do that. That would annoy me though as the car is a paddle shifter.

F6 is a decent sample I'd say. More detail than GT and a more clear, crisp sound than AC, so it's balancing in the middle sort of.

I didn't know you could do that. That would annoy me though as the car is a paddle shifter.

F6 is a decent sample I'd say. More detail than GT and a more clear, crisp sound than AC, so it's balancing in the middle sort of.

Yes, you'll need to go into Options and map it to your preferred key. It allows faster shifting on the paddle-shifter cars as there's no bridge or buffer between the shifts. The Pagani Cinque Roadster had annoying shift times - turn AC off, and it feels and sounds right.

Yeah, F6 is a good benchmark but I'm very curious so as to how they are changing sound in FM7.

Yeah i still have yet to be impressed by anything i've heard, especially after playing dirt rally for the last 4-5 months. This just sounds dead.

Yes, I'm think sound is still problem for Gran Turismo. Sound for Porsche 911 = OK. But Forza have the better sound. ;)

Yes Forza does, but the problem is Forza has been sitting on its laurels (look at what happened going from FM5 to 6). Until and unless competition comes and bites them hard in the rear I don't think they're going to push it too much in FM7. It's just going to be an update at best.

PCARS 2 though - I think that may prove to be serious competition at some point. Perhaps it already is. But knowing MS and T10, I doubt they will be bothered as long as they have sales on their side. And that bothers me a lot as a customer - knowing that the developer will continue to give us the bare minimum as long as the sales numbers are there.

Anyhoo, do pardon the off-topic. :D

One of the best sounds i heard yet in GTSport is like this one :
Better watch the whole video & better use headphones :)
0:20 chase cam
1:27 cockpit

Hmm, that is good! I really like the revs hitting the limiter when he's doing donuts. Pretty accurate. The bark on downshifts is rather nice too. I hope they include those "in-between shifting" sounds. GT's upshifting sounds seem as if it's an on/off switch just going from one gear to the next with no feeling of inertia or transition in between. I know its a racing trans, but that sound between upshifts needs to be captured. Great blow off valve sound too. Definitely one of the better sound samples I've heard.

Hmm, that is good! I really like the revs hitting the limiter when he's doing donuts. Pretty accurate. The bark on downshifts is rather nice too. I hope they include those "in-between shifting" sounds. GT's upshifting sounds seem as if it's an on/off switch just going from one gear to the next with no feeling of inertia or transition in between. I know its a racing trans, but that sound between upshifts needs to be captured. Great blow off valve sound too. Definitely one of the better sound samples I've heard.
The transition sound heard from upshifting has always been unnatural. That's one of the least dynamic sounding bits in GT. GTS looks to sound pretty good apart from the tire screeching. At least it isn't annoying.

The transition sound heard from upshifting has always been unnatural. That's one of the least dynamic sounding bits in GT. GTS looks to sound pretty good apart from the tire screeching. At least it isn't annoying.

Yes, thank God for that. But I really want them to get the organic feel of the upshifting right. I've hated it since GT1.

I dunno that sounded a bit like a leaf blower :)

Come ooon, that Subi race car didn't sound so bad. It's far better than the GT5 and 6 samples. Although I don't imagine the strides in sound design in GTS is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessors.

It sounds like all induction, no exhaust. Exhaust is where most of the Subie boxer character is at.

I do drive an Impreza in real life :)

And that is a race car, my street car sounds way more aggressive, even induction only

edit

Good examples. Yes, the exhaust sounds leave a little to be desired. In mostly all of the vids I've seen so far, the distinct exhaust character of the cars seem to be either muted somewhat or missing.

Have you played FM5? Brilliant exhaust notes to be found there.

Hey
this is to show that GTS engine sound is still way off the real one
im comparing the Renault Sport R.S 01 in game and real world

So the acceleration is too high pitch and the downshift gear sound is not correct. please check it for yourself

Hey
this is to show that GTS engine sound is still way off the real one
im comparing the Renault Sport R.S 01 in game and real world

So the acceleration is too high pitch and the downshift gear sound is not correct. please check it for yourself

Yeah, its no surprise at all. Looks like they're using shortcuts this generation too. However, just wait for it... diehard fans are going to come running to defend it.

As for me, I'm a pure car and motorsport guy, and no, the samples still sound fake. Forza's are far better. On another level actually.

It seems to me v1. 06 has toned down the whine vs everything else. Just that the engine sound seems to be mixed in with the whine.. :guilty:

Yes, it doesn't come out distinctly. I know what you mean. Hmm, I think PD thinks they can get away with it yet again.

It's a shame - Gran Turismo started out as such a wonderful driving journey. If only the sound can be captured from real life racing and driving and eventually, physics made more nuanced, I will get me a PS4 in a heartbeat.

Yeah, its no surprise at all. Looks like they're using shortcuts this generation too. However, just wait for it... diehard fans are going to come running to defend it.

As for me, I'm a pure car and motorsport guy, and no, the samples still sound fake. Forza's are far better. On another level actually.
What indicates that they are trying to use shortcuts? There is still a lot of room for improvement in car sounds, but they are still refining the engine sounds as the beta goes on.

The aggressive crackles and pops of the exhaust sounds have finally been added, and the overall quality of car sounds in GT Sport is finally within range of other racing sims, compared to the embarrassing sounds of GT6.

What indicates that they are trying to use shortcuts? There is still a lot of room for improvement in car sounds, but they are still refining the engine sounds as the beta goes on.

The aggressive crackles and pops of the exhaust sounds have finally been added, and the overall quality of car sounds in GT Sport is finally within range of other racing sims, compared to the embarrassing sounds of GT6.

I'm really impressed by the sounds on this video. :eek:

I've been really away from GT since GT6, been playing FM and FH... and I'm speechless and very happy PD is going somewhere good with the sounds.

The pops and crackles are very good.

that's definitively a step in the right direction, the shifting sound is still a problem, and it's still a bit synthetic, but regarding what we have in GT6, it's great news !
It's still in beta ATM, let's hope they keep improving the sounds

Main Problem is definitely the gear changes, they are too clean and instant, you hear no kind of clutch engagement. If they would adress this issue it would also make a bigger difference overall.

Might have to start another Thread in the Beta Forums. The Camera options worked fine muha :D

Back