The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
Tried the GT86 and I don't think they captured the distinctive boxer sound. Then tried the M4, which in-game, sounds super revvy and sharp, while the real car sounds a bit stuffy.

Need to check more cars.

The GT86 does not have a boxer sound cause it has an equal length header like all the other inline four engines. So there is no boxer rumble.

Compare that to the Dirt Rally Quattro, and you will be drowning in tears as to how wrong their sound is.

To this day, i do not see any game which has the sound as good as the Dirt Rally game.

Actually the GTS sound is a match for the one in the viddeo you posted, what's different is the dynamics of the playback method, in Dirt 4 you can hear how loud everything is replayed, so you might think it's different but GTS carries almost all the same nuances in the sound, but everything seems played back at a lower threshold. Listen to them you can hear pretty much the identical intonation of engine and exhaust noises from both videos. GTS simply sounds less visceral, they really did work on their audio far better than they have in the past 10 years, now if they would stop somehow making everything sound civil when replayed back folks will be grinning like madmen when racing with their autos sounding how they should when being pushed.

Feeling many opinions, mostly positive but also negative ... how is this discrepancy?

Then there are a lot of audio settings in the audio menu, someone has caught us a bit to see if we can further improve the sound?

Sounds are far better than any GT made, still though PD's implementation leaves a lot to be desired. They a long running tendency to reign in sound output of engine and exhaust, cars sound too reserved for how we are stomping on the throttle makes things come across too well behaved, while we have a host more audio notes in there from the engine and exhaust it's just unrealistic to expect any car to sound like like it does when you drive as opposed to when you are racing it.

Audio settings are typical PD stuff, they don't let you individually turn down race/track audio. I wanted at least the ability to turn down player car audio per kind of audio stream. Take for instance player engine sound, exhaust sound, transmission sound, wind noise and underside noise should have mix levels you should be able to change to suit your needs within reason. All sounds are smashed into one called race sounds, wow one size fits all has never worked so why are we still getting this nonsense. No audio set up is perfect so why PD, come on you guys have listened on other fronts, audio is also necessary to complete the race package for feel and auditory stimulation. Forza has excelled in this area of allowing you to tailor sound playback I'd love to see GT get to this level of option in sound area. They have so much rich stuff there but it's muddled so nothing can truly shine in the least. Case of the '87 Audi Pikes Peak all the sound is there being played back but it's mix is off so it sounds tame when it shouldn't, probably some other reasons but you can hear all the correct note intonations there just playback is as if someone was lightly pressing the pedal.

They have so much rich stuff there but it's muddled so nothing can truly shine in the least. Case of the '87 Audi Pikes Peak all the sound is there being played back but it's mix is off so it sounds tame when it shouldn't, probably some other reasons but you can hear all the correct note intonations there just playback is as if someone was lightly pressing the pedal.

That doesn't make any sense. It's either there or not.
I don't think mixing is going to change the character too much, so it's likely the tone is not there if your not satisfied with the output.

For me the idle and low RPM cruising sounds could use work. It rarely sounds as loud as a real car does in those areas

That doesn't make any sense. It's either there or not.
I don't think mixing is going to change the character too much, so it's likely the tone is not there if your not satisfied with the output.

For me the idle and low RPM cruising sounds could use work. It rarely sounds as loud as a real car does in those areas

Disregard that mess of a reply, wow that video from before he Demo went live online is no reflection of the actual in game audio. It's much clearer and just better represented. I think I must have been drunk off something with that absurd description of the audio. I'm playing now and the audio is unlike any GT ever before, full of body. Though something still seems missing, not sure what it is exactly.

It sounds good until it gets to the upper RPM range, where it's got that unshakable synthetic sound that has plagued GT sounds for years. Still, it's an improvement, which is good, I guess.
Actually this does quite sound very similar to the camaro that my neighbore owns :P. It may have a synthetic high RPM sound but I actually like this particular V8 sound. If they make it slightly more deep then it will be spot on.👍

I've had a bit of time with the demo and overall I like the in-car mixing, does the job, very communicative. The tyre screeching sounds overly tortured, and is less communicative, but that might actually be issues with the controls (DS4) more than anything else. I also don't like the handling of the physics for the automated / sequential drivetrain, e.g. pulling away, gear changes and the rev limiter, and the effect it has on the sound is also less than satisfying.

The external mixing is a huge step backwards, in my opinion. The overall mix is muddy, deliberately softening the sounds of cars at a distance, so it sounds like everything is in a long plastic tube. Then the slap off the exhaust note as cars pass is infuriatingly silly. Cars like the AMG GT Gr.3 seem to have highly-directional exhausts at the back of the car, but the actual pipes are clearly on the sides... So poorly judged.

The hollow clunking of gear changes, with the muddy exhaust notes, sounds like someone rummaging through a wooden chest in your attic.

Ideally, PD could put the mixing engine from GT6 in the game as a hi-fi option, and whatever this new approach is can stay for TVs. Then tweak it so it works better in that setting. Overall it is a great improvement when actually driving, thankfully.

Still no intake noise!

I've had a bit of time with the demo and overall I like the in-car mixing, does the job, very communicative. The tyre screeching sounds overly tortured, and is less communicative, but that might actually be issues with the controls (DS4) more than anything else. I also don't like the handling of the physics for the automated / sequential drivetrain, e.g. pulling away, gear changes and the rev limiter, and the effect it has on the sound is also less than satisfying.

The external mixing is a huge step backwards, in my opinion. The overall mix is muddy, deliberately softening the sounds of cars at a distance, so it sounds like everything is in a long plastic tube. Then the slap off the exhaust note as cars pass is infuriatingly silly. Cars like the AMG GT Gr.3 seem to have highly-directional exhausts at the back of the car, but the actual pipes are clearly on the sides... So poorly judged.

The hollow clunking of gear changes, with the muddy exhaust notes, sounds like someone rummaging through a wooden chest in your attic.

Ideally, PD could put the mixing engine from GT6 in the game as a hi-fi option, and whatever this new approach is can stay for TVs. Then tweak it so it works better in that setting. Overall it is a great improvement when actually driving, thankfully.

Still no intake noise!
By external mixing do you mean the replay doppler effects and such or the whole external mixing in general? Chase cam view, bumper, GT cam view and so on??

The sound is a big improvement. I love the rattling inside the racing cars and the new engine noises.

But GT demo had strange sound output options. It gave me two choices: 2ch stereo or 7.1 surround. I didn't notice any difference. :/

I have a 5.1 system. :/

Really? My only 2 sound options were Stereo, and then "5.1 and 7.1 surround". Weird. It had both so I chose that.

The rattling and sound inside the cockpit in general is really awesome. I also really love the engine notes and even the exhaust notes sound better too.

These are really some of my favorite video game car sounds to hear right now although probably not the most accurate. Still a little too digital and perfect sounding but the sound is so sweet that I don't care if it's not as raw sounding as a real car. I especially liked the McLaren MP4-12C, 650s, Bugatti Veyron, and the Mazda LM55.

The sound is a big improvement. I love the rattling inside the racing cars and the new engine noises.

But GT demo had strange sound output options. It gave me two choices: 2ch stereo or 7.1 surround. I didn't notice any difference. :/

Same here, couldn't choose for 5.1, hope they fix that.

For GTS, if you have a 5.1 system, select 7.1 as the output option in GTS. Then, you can set your PS4 to downmix that 7.1 to 5.1 natively by going to the Audio Output settings in the Settings page for the PS4, selecting HDMI as the Primary Output Port, and checking the 5.1 box. You should also make sure you're using Linear PCM as your audio format for this.

In the case of GTS (and other games), as long as you have your PS4 set up to output 5.1 over HDMI, the PS4 will take the GTS 7.1 and make it into 5.1.

The sound in bumber view is still very bad. Just transmission whining. Also i think they use complete different sounds in replays than in gameplay.

Kaz himself said in interview that they do not generate sounds anymore. In fact they stopped it doing it after GT2. Back then they used computer to generate sounds. They took some sample of a car. From GT3 they record multiple samples and play them via fading.

Which is exactly how everyone almost does it in gaming space when you want to have car sounds at various rpms.

BUT ok let us assume for a moment you are right. They have some glorious custom made technology no one knows about in industry.

Well.. Best hideout is public hideout:
http://www.crankcaseaudio.com

Funny thing at they are working with Sony..

Last edited:
For GTS, if you have a 5.1 system, select 7.1 as the output option in GTS. Then, you can set your PS4 to downmix that 7.1 to 5.1 natively by going to the Audio Output settings in the Settings page for the PS4, selecting HDMI as the Primary Output Port, and checking the 5.1 box. You should also make sure you're using Linear PCM as your audio format for this.

In the case of GTS (and other games), as long as you have your PS4 set up to output 5.1 over HDMI, the PS4 will take the GTS 7.1 and make it into 5.1.
I'm using an Optical cable for sound.

Sounds are the most realistic in any racing game ever. Those who'll tell you otherwise need to get in cars more often.
If sounds in real cars suck like they do in GTS then yes, most realistic in a racing game ever. Do real cars all have copy pasted whines and back fires? Maybe it yourself that needs to get in more real cars? Or just take your blinkers off?

The sound of the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP has been ruined! Doesn't even sound like a diesel anymore. Onboard at 0:30 and 1:15.

The sound of those early attract demo vids are bugged compared to actual game play replays.
I wouldn't judge things till the actual game drops

Back