The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
I'm also wondering if the final release will bring changes to the audio, depending on what basis the demo was built.

By external mixing do you mean the replay doppler effects and such or the whole external mixing in general? Chase cam view, bumper, GT cam view and so on??

Yeah, the replay cameras from the trackside, not those you can race from. The overall sense of space is diminished over the Large Theatre setting in particular from the PS3 games.

Interestingly, there was no dynamic range setting for the audio in the demo.

I'm using an Optical cable for sound.

Same, with 3D audio over headphones. I also only had the option of stereo or 7.1, and I think the 7.1 mix worked OK with my 5.1 downmixer. I tested both anyway and my opinion of the sound stands regardless.

I'd still suggest everyone check their settings match their hardware.

Yeah, the replay cameras from the trackside, not those you can race from. The overall sense of space is diminished over the Large Theatre setting in particular from the PS3 games.

Interestingly, there was no dynamic range setting for the audio in the demo.

I actually find the trackside camera / flyby sounds to be a huge improvement over the ps3 GTs and even better compared to some of the other contemporary games.

Something I noticed on the 30 lap mission in the demo, with the 30-car grid, is the sound quality degrading. It seemed as though it was competing with the graphics for computation time. If it was stuttering, it was kind-of rough-sounding, like noise, indicating the underlying audio engine runs very fast. I hope the final game doesn't have this issue.

I actually find the trackside camera / flyby sounds to be a huge improvement over the ps3 GTs and even better compared to some of the other contemporary games.

For me, the only thing improved over the PS3 are the sounds themselves, i.e. the samples and combination of AES.

The actual mixing is a step backwards. Those clips are good examples and prove the sudden onset of exhaust volume is over-done. They also show the lack of ambience / sense of space in GT Sport's mixing (which the PS3 games mastered, excluding reverb) and the heavy-handed distance filtering, which was also perfect on the PS3. (Actually that last point might be a performance consideration - degrade the synthesis detail at distance, like graphics LoD).

This is why I say it's very important to be specific about your complaints, they end up "fixing" stuff they didn't need to fix...

The reverb doesn't sound right - it sounds more like an indoor type reverb to my ears
I get the same feeling when watching rear view. The fly by sound is much better. In rear view you never get the feeling that you are listening to a car that is at it's absolute limit. It all sounds very sedate and unhurried like you're out for a Sunday cruise. Instead of wanting to rip your face off it's more like, "Oh hello chaps, I'm a race car, how do you do?"

I get the same feeling when watching rear view. The fly by sound is much better. In rear view you never get the feeling that you are listening to a car that is at it's absolute limit. It all sounds very sedate and unhurried like you're out for a Sunday cruise. Instead of wanting to rip your face off it's more like, "Oh hello chaps, I'm a race car, how do you do?"
Funny you say that, because I swear my ears were hurting last night!

Well I heard a Mustang - stock standard, drive by last week, and even at low revs and part throttle it sounded louded and more deep, throaty than the one in GT Sport video above, totally different impression

"Oh hello chaps, I'm a race car, how do you do?"
maxresdefault (1).jpg

:sly: :sly: :sly:

This old cartoon is what came into my mind while reading your post

:lol:

I’m so annoyed that PD botched up the Ferrari P4 330 sound, I was really looking forward to driving it but it’s like they copied the sound from the La Ferrari.

It’s sounds similar to the La Ferrari but doesn’t sound like a P4 should.
Agreed.

A limitation of PD's mixing is that the authentic sound of the 4 individual exhaust exits is difficult to achieve. The lack of a dedicated intake channel pays its toll, too. There is little to beat the sound of 12 open throttle bodies.

Bump on this for the 787B.

I have to say I think it sounds quite gorgeous and a lot like a 4 rotor.

HOWEVER, I don't think it sounds quite like the R26B as configured in the 787B. To my ears it sounds more like the IMSA GTO RX-7 4 rotor. The main difference being is that instead of a 4-1 header like in the R26B, the RX-7 used a 4-2 header...making it sound more like a pair of 2 rotors.

787B R26 for comparison:

The real R26B has a higher pitch kind of overlay, although GT Sport's rendition does kind of nail the underlying sound.

The GTSport version sounds more like the IMSA 4 rotor to me:

Regardless, it's a VAST improvement over the sound in GT6...which hadn't really changed much from GT4....which itself was more of a lower bitrate version of the GT3 sound!

I think a lot of that has to do with ensuring the onboard sound is correct, once again because they do not have the correct number of sound sources. Also, that overblown low pass effect on external shots is not helping things.

Regardless, it's a VAST improvement over the sound in GT6...which hadn't really changed much from GT4....which itself was more of a lower bitrate version of the GT3 sound!
In a way yes, but the car in standstill does not have the "brap brap brap" idle as in GT5-6, I dare to say I prefer the sound of GT6 over GT Sport.

I think a lot of that has to do with ensuring the onboard sound is correct, once again because they do not have the correct number of sound sources. Also, that overblown low pass effect on external shots is not helping things.

Can you unpack this a bit?

Can you unpack this a bit?

The sound has a low pass filter applied to it; this means that higher frequencies are filtered out, leaving a duller sound.

The mixing engine is tuned to do this almost as soon as the car is not in the immediate foreground, and it does so severely and it stays that way no matter how much further the car gets. I guess this is supposed to lend a sense of distance, and space, and to give flybys some oomph. But it just ends up sounding muddy most of the time, and flybys just sound like a caricature of the real thing.

This is a real shame, because this aspect of the sound mixing was near perfect in GT6, matching real life reasonably well (in the absence of a strong reverb effect).

Back