The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
It's mind breaking to me, that Polyphony Digital, a company which originates from the same country as Mazda, has trouble recording and or constructing the 787B sound.

I can appreciate the problems. Whilst at Codies we were to record a 787 whilst it was on 'tour' here in the UK... alas as we were travelling to the airfield we took a call telling us it had broken down the night before.... so basically they break down, you don't know when they're going to work again.... and then they break down again...

I say 'they' - I have no idea how many are left now.

Last night I noticed the Audi S1 Quattro's exhaust note had a new rasp to it, and (surprise!) now emanates from the right front side of the vehicle (where the pipe outlets are) rather than out the back of the car. This incorrect exhaust note origin placement has bugged me for a while, a number of cars with side-exit exhaust have no exhaust note audible until the tracking/replay camera has moved arrears of the vehicle.

It is a nice feeling to have the impression that PD are still nose to the grindstone with fixes and updates. Bravo.

While an improvement over GT6 (which sounds abit like onboard sample just used for every view), it's also still off. It seems like they just used the sound from the Z4 GT3 but then layered something over it. I get that both cars use the same engine (which is true of their real life counterparts), but I'm pretty sure things like Stroke and bore between the two (as well as exhaust) play a huge difference in their sound:

While an improvement over GT6 (which sounds abit like onboard sample just used for every view), it's also still off. It seems like they just used the sound from the Z4 GT3 but then layered something over it. I get that both cars use the same engine (which is true of their real life counterparts), but I'm pretty sure things like Stroke and bore between the two (as well as exhaust) play a huge difference in their sound:

Yeah, it is really off. Hope we get a fix on the next update.

Off, but better than real life.
The 787B got sound updates after it was put in the game, the same could happen with the Bimmer.
Fixed that for you.

They use the same block. The main difference between them is the cross plane crank in the Z4 and the flat plane crank in the M3.
So it should sound more like a Ferrari than a Ford. Got it.

Have you heard ford mark iv? It sounds so bad. In gt6 you could hear that it was recorded and it sounded great.

Honestly, I dont know which one is accurate but the Ford Mark IV in GT5 sounds like a blender to me. It has the same generic blender sound when you upgrade your car exhaust in GT5/GT6

Have you heard ford mark iv? It sounds so bad. In gt6 you could hear that it was recorded and it sounded great.

I don't see how the GT6 sound is better. Its literally a modified version of the Gran Turismo 3 Ford GT40 sample and somehow, it sounds worse. The GT Sport version is Far closer to the real thing.

Also, that clip you posted is from GT5.

Last edited:
I don't see how the GT6 sound is better. Its literally a modified version of the Gran Turismo 3 Ford GT40 sample and somehow, it sounds worse. The GT Sport version is Far closer to the real thing.

Also, that clip you posted is from GT5.
it is literally the same sound in gt5, and sorry but you must be deaf if you think that is modified gt3 sample.

it is literally the same sound in gt5, and sorry but you must be deaf if you think that is modified gt3 sample.

With all the time I spent on Gran Turismo 3 AND on Gran Turismo 5, I'm pretty positive it is a Modified sample from Gran Turismo 3. Hell, they even just pasted it on the Ford GT40 from said game. Sounds like the real thing on idle, but that's it. After that, its a mess. Just look at the gt5 video you posted, the thing idles while going through a corner (something I'm positive doesn't happen with the real car). And its the same story when it brakes, no progression in drop or raise of revs. Its even worse when revving as you can hear the abrupt, awful transition between high and low revs.

Unfortunately I have to agree. GT6 had better idle samples.

In GT Sport, the engine sounds are perfect for the most part, represented better in the cockpit view. A great step forward compared to GT6. But in my view, the exhaust sounds are the biggest problem.

A good example of this is the BMW M4. The sound is well captured in the cockpit view, but when you switch to the chase cam, it's a long way from reality.

They're generating the exhaust sound at the wrong frequency. An octave below would be right. This is a problem that is present in most V6 and V12 cars.

Another point is the lack of character, roar, growl.

In my opinion, GT6 is a little better in this aspect, in cars that use AES.

Honestly, I do not know if they will be able to replicate the true sound of an exhaust using the technology they are using now. Still a long way from getting close.

I would prefer that in the next game they use the traditional method and record the exhaust sounds.

This issue with the apparent idle sound and on-load vs. off-load sounds comes back to the same old problem: a lack of a dedicated intake source, including originally in recordings made (part throttle only). That is the key differentiator of "load" - i.e. throttle position and its effect on the sound that escapes past it.

By mixing the intake in with the exhaust, it also creates the issue of overly similar sounds in different views, and from different angles around the cars, as though they've lost their confidence in accurately mixing the sources they do use. I say this because without intake (and other sources), it sounds thin and incomplete - i.e. the GT of the past that "everyone" complained about.

This newfound, but fixed, intake contribution explains the good interior mix, where intake sounds are most prominent in almost every car, but that unfortunately does not translate to both an expressive (vs. inputs) and accurate external sound. The samples in use for the exhaust source are actually often intake heavy, yielding a result much like the intake-heavy mixing of the Forza series.

GT5/6 was much, much (combined with reverb, delay and low-passing: almost infinitely) better in terms of external mixing, except that it still had mostly no intake sound whatsoever, and that utter lack of intake sound meant interiors were especially lacklustre as a result.

AES only creates exhaust sounds in its current form, and with that PD have made significant quality improvements in GT Sport, but because they toned down its character (distortion effects) and the volume level it's not so noticeable. They also blend it with samples to good effect across most cars (they played samples at the same time on PS3, but they were always almost inaudibly quiet and not really "matched" to the synthesiser output properly in any way).

GT6 already had the framework in place for an intake source with AES, they are just yet to use it for reasons unknown. I personally found it harder to synthesise intake sounds, but I recently discovered* a little trick that does a reasonable job. The problem is that I did it brute-force style, whereas Sony have developed a seemingly more elegant, certainly more efficient solution (because of the multiple sources in use), and it will require a substantial amount of tedious maths-ing to implement "my" trick into their system, or any other similar method.

Once they do that, and especially if they revert to their old mixing method with it, AES will be so expressive that the remaining small differences in absolute quality / fidelity, relative to mashing recordings together, will not be an issue.

* I actually tried it several years ago, but clearly didn't implement it properly. I almost did it wrong again this last time...

This issue with the apparent idle sound and on-load vs. off-load sounds comes back to the same old problem: a lack of a dedicated intake source, including originally in recordings made (part throttle only). That is the key differentiator of "load" - i.e. throttle position and its effect on the sound that escapes past it.

By mixing the intake in with the exhaust, it also creates the issue of overly similar sounds in different views, and from different angles around the cars, as though they've lost their confidence in accurately mixing the sources they do use. I say this because without intake (and other sources), it sounds thin and incomplete - i.e. the GT of the past that "everyone" complained about.

This newfound, but fixed, intake contribution explains the good interior mix, where intake sounds are most prominent in almost every car, but that unfortunately does not translate to both an expressive (vs. inputs) and accurate external sound. The samples in use for the exhaust source are actually often intake heavy, yielding a result much like the intake-heavy mixing of the Forza series.

GT5/6 was much, much (combined with reverb, delay and low-passing: almost infinitely) better in terms of external mixing, except that it still had mostly no intake sound whatsoever, and that utter lack of intake sound meant interiors were especially lacklustre as a result.

AES only creates exhaust sounds in its current form, and with that PD have made significant quality improvements in GT Sport, but because they toned down its character (distortion effects) and the volume level it's not so noticeable. They also blend it with samples to good effect across most cars (they played samples at the same time on PS3, but they were always almost inaudibly quiet and not really "matched" to the synthesiser output properly in any way).

GT6 already had the framework in place for an intake source with AES, they are just yet to use it for reasons unknown. I personally found it harder to synthesise intake sounds, but I recently discovered* a little trick that does a reasonable job. The problem is that I did it brute-force style, whereas Sony have developed a seemingly more elegant, certainly more efficient solution (because of the multiple sources in use), and it will require a substantial amount of tedious maths-ing to implement "my" trick into their system, or any other similar method.

Once they do that, and especially if they revert to their old mixing method with it, AES will be so expressive that the remaining small differences in absolute quality / fidelity, relative to mashing recordings together, will not be an issue.

* I actually tried it several years ago, but clearly didn't implement it properly. I almost did it wrong again this last time...
Incredible knowledge. I love reading your posts about sound. Thank you.

It would be cool if we could post a sample of the intake sound you've synthesized, i'm very curious :D

Oh man, why did PD ruin the sound of the La farrari with the latest patch?? It sounded excellent before this patch hit. Now is sounds digital and synthetic.

Oh man, why did PD ruin the sound of the La farrari with the latest patch?? It sounded excellent before this patch hit. Now is sounds digital and synthetic.
Huh are you serious?
The Ferrari La ferrari is one of those cars that sounds excellent as they already are.

Are you telling me they made it sound bad now?

Latest Posts

Back