The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments

Its UNAVAILABLE online according to your link. Only available in-store.
I think this link is out-of-date and just hasn't been updated.

Be advised, their inventory system is not the most accurate.
Back 5 months ago when I bought mine, their online inventory check indicated multiple units in stock at the 2 area stores. But, after driving down to one of the 2 area stores, it was out-of-stock.

The 2nd store only had two left at the time I purchased mine although their online inventory showed 6.
The other one they had in stock was open-box.

Its UNAVAILABLE online according to your link. Only available in-store.
I think this link is out-of-date and just hasn't been updated.

Be advised, their inventory system is not the most accurate.
Back 5 months ago when I bought mine, their online inventory check indicated multiple units in stock at the 2 area stores. But, after driving down to one of the 2 area stores, it was out-of-stock.

The 2nd store only had two left at the time I purchased mine although their online inventory showed 6.
The other one they had in stock was open-box.

Correct. Old link, and they won't honor that price in store because it has a new $599 listing and item number.

V1 here too. Second one though, as my first one mysteriously went up in flames. Same loud fan that has gotten much quieter for some reason. I do have the TM replacement, in the closet for when needed. Any other problems I have run across I've been able to fix myself. Minor stuff.

well the guy said he has had it for probably about 6 months.
but honestly after reading all of these horrible stories about the fan and such I think I might pass on it. I might do it for 300 but probably not 400

well the guy said he has had it for probably about 6 months.
but honestly after reading all of these horrible stories about the fan and such I think I might pass on it. I might do it for 300 but probably not 400

I would email Thrustmaster and fnd out if the warranty is transferable. Obviously he'd have to give you proof of purchase. If not, I wouldn't do it.

Don't sweat the fan, its not that big of a deal, its basically the same as a common computer case fan, the fan's center bearings get noisy which is where the noise comes from, doesn't really affect the cooling.

Like I said in my earlier post, they were very quick to provide a replacement.
I haven't put it in yet, probably will if the noise gets to the point where it really bothers me.

I also had to replace most of the fans in the competitor's wheels I owned at one time or another too before I got my T500.

I wouldn't do it without proof of purchase though.

Last edited:
I would email Thrustmaster and fnd out if the warranty is transferable. Obviously he'd have to give you proof of purchase. If not, I wouldn't do it.

It's not transferable as far as I know -- what he needs to ask is if the seller still has the ORIGINAL receipt, and whether or not he's registered the unit with Thrustmaster (or filed any previous claims with them).

If not, then with the original purchase receipt, you would have all you need to file a warranty claim yourself (of course, the only reason why your name wouldn't appear on the receipt would be because it was a gift, or it was purchased for you by a friend).

It's not transferable as far as I know -- what he needs to ask is if the seller still has the ORIGINAL receipt, and whether or not he's registered the unit with Thrustmaster (or filed any previous claims with them).

If not, then with the original purchase receipt, you would have all you need to file a warranty claim yourself (of course, the only reason why your name wouldn't appear on the receipt would be because it was a gift, or it was purchased for you by a friend).

Nope he doesn't have the original receipt.
Guess I won't be getting it. Honestly the G25 is a good enough wheel, I'm no professional racer I just like to have a good time and atleast pretend like I'm Kimi Raikkonen :P

Nope he doesn't have the original receipt.
Guess I won't be getting it. Honestly the G25 is a good enough wheel, I'm no professional racer I just like to have a good time and atleast pretend like I'm Kimi Raikkonen :P

It´s much easier to pretend you are Kimi Raikkonen with the T500RS. But if you feel the G25 is good enough it´s good enough :)

About the fan thermostat I never really understood how it´s supposed to work. It´s not running for the first 15 minutes or so but then it runs forever when you are not using the wheel. It used to be 45 minutes but maybe due to being summer here I caught it running after running Skyrim for a couple of hours. And haven´t touched the wheel for some hours before that... I usually pull the plug on it when not using it otherwise as soon as I catch the fan not running.

Seeing how it can run for 15 minutes without triggering the fan and that it can run forever is kind of weird unless the actual wheel and belt motions help cooling it?

$450 seems a little high to me, but I think $400 (or less) would be fair, depending on condition of course. You hear about breakdowns and issues all the time on forums, but that's just what we do, I doubt that the failure rate is excessive. No one ever feels the need to post when something works as it should.

FYI, I bought mine open box at Frys for $380 and it has been just fine!

...but you have a receipt which entitles you to warranty service...
...so your open box purchase does not carry the same risk as buying a used unit with no receipt.

It´s much easier to pretend you are Kimi Raikkonen with the T500RS. But if you feel the G25 is good enough it´s good enough :)

About the fan thermostat I never really understood how it´s supposed to work. It´s not running for the first 15 minutes or so but then it runs forever when you are not using the wheel. It used to be 45 minutes but maybe due to being summer here I caught it running after running Skyrim for a couple of hours. And haven´t touched the wheel for some hours before that... I usually pull the plug on it when not using it otherwise as soon as I catch the fan not running.

Seeing how it can run for 15 minutes without triggering the fan and that it can run forever is kind of weird unless the actual wheel and belt motions help cooling it?

haha I mean honestly this is my first time EVER using a wheel on racing games. I'm pretty new to sim games and I don't even have a rig yet.. (though I am attempting to build Eddy's PVC rig here pretty shortly when I get my next pay check). So with that being said my "pickiness" is still super low since I don't know whats good and what isn't until I give them a try myself.

Hey guys,

Has anyone had a problem with the belt on the motor? When TM sent a new fan to replace old noisy one. I noticed that the belt moves on the gears from center on the gear! When the wheel os turned fully one way the belt moves to the inner edge of the gear. And moves back past center when turned the other way. Also the belt is a little loose.

Hey guys,

Has anyone had a problem with the belt on the motor? When TM sent a new fan to replace old noisy one. I noticed that the belt moves on the gears from center on the gear! When the wheel os turned fully one way the belt moves to the inner edge of the gear. And moves back past center when turned the other way. Also the belt is a little loose.

The few i've opened have all done this ;), have'nt seen a loose belt though.

Ferrari458Italia
haha I mean honestly this is my first time EVER using a wheel on racing games. I'm pretty new to sim games and I don't even have a rig yet.. (though I am attempting to build Eddy's PVC rig here pretty shortly when I get my next pay check). So with that being said my "pickiness" is still super low since I don't know whats good and what isn't until I give them a try myself.

I built mine out of 2 inch pvc. Was $7 for each 10 ft piece. I needed 3. Pulled Honda prelude seat for $30, MDF board & wood for base, screws all under $200 for entire project. Had my T500 over 1 year. No prob except fan noise. If you are new to Sim Pc racing let me suggest Game Stock Car. Great physics, less than $20. If u can budget a T500 I say go for it. Also, if you go to Home Depot they will cut the PVC for you. Just go at an off time when they are slow.

Last edited:
...but you have a receipt which entitles you to warranty service...
...so your open box purchase does not carry the same risk as buying a used unit with no receipt.

This IS true... but still I think a $200 price reduction is probably fair on a used T500.

I built mine out of 2 inch pvc. Was $7 for each 10 ft piece. I needed 3. Pulled Honda prelude seat for $30, MDF board & wood for base, screws all under $200 for entire project. Had my T500 over 1 year. No prob except fan noise. If you are new to Sim Pc racing let me suggest Game Stock Car. Great physics, less than $20. If u can budget a T500 I say go for it. Also, if you go to Home Depot they will cut the PVC for you. Just go at an off time when they are slow.

Haha sounds great bud. I talked to the guy and we negotiated at $350. so I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend. But yeah I actually just play GT5/PS3 racing games so far.

Haha sounds great bud. I talked to the guy and we negotiated at $350. so I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend. But yeah I actually just play GT5/PS3 racing games so far.

Sounds like a killer deal man, hope you love your T500 as much as I love mine. 👍

I sold my G27 yesterday, it took about 10 minutes. The CL community around where I live has gotten insanely bad tho, all flakes and scammers, I'd rather just eBay things these days.

I sold my G27 yesterday, it took about 10 minutes. The CL community around where I live has gotten insanely bad tho, all flakes and scammers, I'd rather just eBay things these days.

So you sold it on ebay? for how much? I bought my G25 for 80 bucks off a friend so I know I'll be looking at profit :S but I want as much profit as possible I guess since I'm spending so much on this wheel lol.
yeah I'll probably put it on CL for about 2 weeks, if nothing good happens I'll ebay it. I haven't seen many bad people on CL in my area thankfully so far.

Picking it up tomorrow. pretty excited

also, do we have any word if it's going to be compatible on the PS4?? or am I asking this too early haha

OMP Superturismo for T500RS :drool::

index.php

post-13851-0-49704100-1369208024.jpg

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/8774-omp-superturismo-for-t500rs/

Nor by Fanatec, for that matter! :lol:
Is your email notifier broke? I missed the latest batch of Load Cells cause I wasn't notified. Not to mention I left message on twitter asking to get in line and even left PayPal address to invoice me. :odd:

Come on John. Work with me. I'm dying for your mod. :cheers: :gtpflag:

Is your email notifier broke? I missed the latest batch of Load Cells cause I wasn't notified. Not to mention I left message on twitter asking to get in line and even left PayPal address to invoice me. :odd:

Come on John. Work with me. I'm dying for your mod. :cheers: :gtpflag:

Ooh . . . sorry about that! Remember, I'm doing notifications via Twitter -- that doesn't auto-mail you . . . you have to check Twitter in order to be "notified" when I post updates. I do try to give *advanced* notification a few days in advance, and I post build progress updates so people will have some idea of WHEN new units will be available . . . but you still have to check Twitter yourself in order to see updates that I tweet.

This might help:

https://support.twitter.com/groups/.../articles/162981-following-people-on-twitter#

Back