The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Just did a small mod to my T500RS today so that I can connect sequential shifters directly to it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDF7pqxhyFM">YouTube Link</a>

Why don't you use a stereo mini jackplug to hook up the shifters? That way you could put a female mini jack in the case and have it look finished. Unless you don't wish to hurt the case, which is understandable.

Has anybody got the new 458 wheel rim? how does it stand up to the real stuff?
Could you imagine putting it in your real fun car if you would bolt it down as usual :)

Man I wish they would make the original 458 wheel for the Thrustmaster. I really think the 458 Challenge wheel looks terrible haha, I just want it because of the logo.
But I might just swap out the Gran Turismo logo on the T500 with a Ferrari one somehow

Just did a small mod to my T500RS today so that I can connect sequential shifters directly to it.

Once the 458 GT Rim is available, or for those that already have Sam Maxwell wheels with rotating paddles, I think the easier way would be to just remove the static shifter assembly, and use the connector on the PCB that the static paddle assembly cable connects to.

Well it looks like the original owner of my T500 never put the removable foot rest on his T500 because he only used it in F1 mode. But now that I want to make reverse the pedals to use it in GT/Rally mode I notice he never put on the removable foot rest that I need to be taking off and reversing .
Anyone know a website that I could buy just the foot rest from? or any ideas on a DIY?
I tried ebay and no one had one up there, I'll contact Thrustmaster and see what I can do. If they want an outrageous price then **** it, I'll just improvise on it hahahaha
This is what I'm talking about btw (the metalic foot rest)
t500_rs_gt_racing_wheel_pedal_configuration.jpg

Well it looks like the original owner of my T500 never put the removable foot rest on his T500 because he only used it in F1 mode. But now that I want to make reverse the pedals to use it in GT/Rally mode I notice he never put on the removable foot rest that I need to be taking off and reversing .
Anyone know a website that I could buy just the foot rest from? or any ideas on a DIY?
I tried ebay and no one had one up there, I'll contact Thrustmaster and see what I can do. If they want an outrageous price then **** it, I'll just improvise on it hahahaha

He doesn't have it? Regardless of which way the pedals are oriented, that diamond plate still screws on and came attached out of the box (if I'm not mistsken) . He should have it somewhere.

OwensRacing (GTP member) does metal fab. He might be able to help you out with a DIY, if you ask nicely :)

Why don't you use a stereo mini jackplug to hook up the shifters? That way you could put a female mini jack in the case and have it look finished. Unless you don't wish to hurt the case, which is understandable.
That would be nice and nothing to do with hurting the case. Reasons are:

1) You overestimate my soldering ability
2) I've already invested in those connectors as you can see them used with all my peripherals. No soldering, just screw tight. I couldn't find anything smaller.

I know they don't look the best but I'm not the type that needs the 'rig' to look good. I don't have a rig, I have desk.

Once the 458 GT Rim is available, or for those that already have Sam Maxwell wheels with rotating paddles, I think the easier way would be to just remove the static shifter assembly, and use the connector on the PCB that the static paddle assembly cable connects to.
Isn't that what I've done, except I'm 'sharing' the connector on the PCB with the static shifter assembly? I'm not saying the way I've done it is the best but I can't imagine it simpler than 'poking' into the connector. No soldering, just some hot glueing.

He doesn't have it? Regardless of which way the pedals are oriented, that diamond plate still screws on and came attached out of the box (if I'm not mistsken) . He should have it somewhere.

OwensRacing (GTP member) does metal fab. He might be able to help you out with a DIY, if you ask nicely :)

I suppose I could ask him, but he lived about 45 minutes away and I just don't have the patience to drive all the way that out. I just contacted thrustmaster so I'll see what they'll say, if they can hook me up for free that would be awesome, but most I'll spend on that thing is $10... just not worth it that much for me since it's only for looks anyways

I'll contact Thrustmaster and see what I can do. If they want an outrageous price then **** it, I'll just improvise on it hahahaha

Its $50 for a replacement from Thrustmaster including shipping. I looked into getting a second one myself.
If you buy Diamond Plate from some place like MetalDepot, have it cut to size, and then have it shipped to you...
...there is not much difference in price. So it might be worthwhile to check with OwensRacing.

Last edited:
Isn't that what I've done, except I'm 'sharing' the connector on the PCB with the static shifter assembly? I'm not saying the way I've done it is the best but I can't imagine it simpler than 'poking' into the connector. No soldering, just some hot glueing.

LOL, no criticism was intended, excuse the lack of clarity on my part. My suggestion was that by doing what I posted, one cable could be run out of the wheel cover where the removed static shifter assembly is housed, and maybe to some sort of an adapter (maybe mrbasher has thoughts?) that one could plug a sequential shifter's USB cable into.

You have led the way (hats off to your many endeavors 👍 👍), I was just trying to provide suggestions for further refining it via simple plug and play. Now maybe I will be able to get a DSD that will also work with my console, not just my PC.

t500_rs_gt_racing_wheel_pedal_configuration.jpg

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look in the hardware section for metal stock -- they usually have diamond plate stock on-hand.

Also, you might check with this ebay seller to see if they could custom cut you a piece to your specs (the actual diamond plate portion from Thrustmaster is about 13-1/2" x 8", but 12" x 8" would probably work fine:

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/188-3-16-Al...629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f19c2c1bd

You'd have to drill your own holes and get some screws and nuts to mount it, but there are only 4 screws on the stock piece, so it wouldn't be hard to get yourself up-and-running.

ahhhhhhh dangit I wish they used the actual Ferrari steering wheel emblem instead of the Scuderia Ferrari shield :(
but I might actually buy it, I'm definitely writing it down in my notepad to look further more into it :)

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look in the hardware section for metal stock -- they usually have diamond plate stock on-hand.

Also, you might check with this ebay seller to see if they could custom cut you a piece to your specs (the actual diamond plate portion from Thrustmaster is about 13-1/2" x 8", but 12" x 8" would probably work fine:

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/188-3-16-Al...629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f19c2c1bd

You'd have to drill your own holes and get some screws and nuts to mount it, but there are only 4 screws on the stock piece, so it wouldn't be hard to get yourself up-and-running.

yeah I might just go to Lowes. Hopefully they can cut it for me as well. Drilling might be a b**** though :(

Its $50 for a replacement from Thrustmaster including shipping. I looked into getting a second one myself.
If you buy Diamond Plate from some place like MetalDepot, have it cut to size, and then have it shipped to you...
...there is not much difference in price. So it might be worthwhile to check with OwensRacing.

Wow heck no then lol.
But idk do you guys think I should for sure go with diamond plate??? what if I do wood + put some sort of clothe over it.. something different aside from the diamond plate (which I still do love)

I suppose I could ask him, but he lived about 45 minutes away and I just don't have the patience to drive all the way that out. I just contacted thrustmaster so I'll see what they'll say, if they can hook me up for free that would be awesome, but most I'll spend on that thing is $10... just not worth it that much for me since it's only for looks anyways

Mail :)

ahhhhhhh dangit I wish they used the actual Ferrari steering wheel emblem instead of the Scuderia Ferrari shield :(
but I might actually buy it, I'm definitely writing it down in my notepad to look further more into it :)

I have those on-hand -- need to snap pics and add them to the produce line-up, but if you want a black prancing horse on a yellow circle background, complete with a drop-in replacement wheel center, I'm your guy.

Should have pics up in the next day or so.

:cool:

I have those on-hand -- need to snap pics and add them to the produce line-up, but if you want a black prancing horse on a yellow circle background, complete with a drop-in replacement wheel center, I'm your guy.

Ahh you're awesome. yeah if you could snap some pictures so I could see how they look like that would be lovely. I'm more than likely going to buy one now.
having the Ferrari shield is kind of weird on the wheel haha

but most I'll spend on that thing is $10... just not worth it that much for me since it's only for looks anyways

Wow heck no then lol.
But idk do you guys think I should for sure go with diamond plate??? what if I do wood + put some sort of clothe over it.. something different aside from the diamond plate (which I still do love)

Lowes/Home Depot/Hardware stores will be more than $10 for sure.
John's ebay vendor linked above will cost you $25 including shipping providing they cut a 12"x12" plate down for free.
Yes, wood will work.

I've literally been refreshing GTPlanet every 10 minutes waiting for your post :dopey:
but yes!! I would love to buy one. it's absolutely gorgeous!!
How hard is the install? got any youtube videos or something that I could see the process??? or is it a simple pop out the old GT logo and pop in the Ferrari in?

edit: just show me a link or tell me where I can order one from you and I will do that tonight before bed!

Last edited:

Now, with that drop-in replacement wheel center, that's adding value! Very nice. Previously, I wasn't so sure. ;)

Now, with that drop-in replacement wheel center, that's adding value! Very nice. Previously, I wasn't so sure. ;)

Thanks! I think the drop-in centers make for a more complete product -- easy to revert to stock, easy to change the center if you like to change-up your look from time to time (or from car to car!).

This mod would have be available sooner. I was expecting this day one when seen the way the T500Rs pedals were built. Now I have a CSR Elite with Clubsport Pedals V2 because of load cell because it was the main difference between a Thrustmaster and a Fanatec setup (ok, the last main difference is that CSR Elite is 360 compatible and wheel tuning menu).

But it is great for sim racer to have more and more choice :)

Incredible, loadcell what a wonderful thing

Incredible, loadcell what a wonderful thing

I hope they can produce them faster and keep them in stock easier than I can:

http://www.bodin-solutions.com/

I'm very interesting in seeing what type of load cell they're using -- that's a unique mounting position, and I actually considered a similar mounting method for my mod, but I had a hard time finding a load cell that would be small enough to mount under the pedal while still proving to be both durable and affordable enough to make for a positive customer experience. Also, developing a mounting scheme to place the load cell under the brake pedal pad was a bit cost-prohibitive in terms of manufacturing complexity.

This last part is probably where a big company like Thrustmaster can take advantage of economies of scale, as compared to a small one-man manufacturing effort.

Still, very interested in seeing what they come up with.

How hard is the install? got any youtube videos or something that I could see the process??? or is it a simple pop out the old GT logo and pop in the Ferrari in?

Pretty easy to install -- I recommend powering-off your T500 wheel and removing the actual wheel (which takes maybe 3 minutes), as shown in the first half of this video:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cKX6F1ah0

Then, using the enclosed hex key, remove the 6 hex-head bolts around the "GT" center -- once the bolts are removed, you can easily lift the collar that holds the 6 bolts and remove the GT center. Place the new BWC-T500 center in place along with the collar that holds the bolts, then re-install the bolts. Note that there are 3 long bolts, and 3 short bolts.

The 3 long bolts install at the 3 o'clock, 11 o'clock, and 1 o'clock positions (these hold the wheel to the screw-on "quick disconnect" on the rear of the wheel, so you MUST put the long bolts back in the correct positions). Then install the 3 short bolts in the 12 o'clock, 5 o'clock, and 7 o'clock positions. Just insert the bolts and start them initially -- don't tighten any of them down fully until all 6 of the bolts are stated. This will ensure proper alignment of the collar, and it will also help prevent any of the bolts from binding.

Once the new wheel center is in place and all 6 bolts are properly installed and tightened, re-attach your GT wheel to the T500 base as shown in the second half of the video link above.

Now go racing and enjoy your new bling!

edit: just show me a link or tell me where I can order one from you and I will do that tonight before bed!

I took the attached pictures for the Website -- I still need to complete the installation instructions to be included with the wheel centers, but that should be done in the next day or so. Once I get that done, I will update the Bodin Solutions Website, so keep your eyes peeled. Most likely, you'll be able to place an order by Wednesday of this week.

:)

Pretty easy to install -- I recommend powering-off your T500 wheel and removing the actual wheel (which takes maybe 3 minutes), as shown in the first half of this video:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cKX6F1ah0

Then, using the enclosed hex key, remove the 6 hex-head bolts around the "GT" center -- once the bolts are removed, you can easily lift the collar that holds the 6 bolts and remove the GT center. Place the new BWC-T500 center in place along with the collar that holds the bolts, then re-install the bolts. Note that there are 3 long bolts, and 3 short bolts.

The 3 long bolts install at the 3 o'clock, 11 o'clock, and 1 o'clock positions (these hold the wheel to the screw-on "quick disconnect" on the rear of the wheel, so you MUST put the long bolts back in the correct positions). Then install the 3 short bolts in the 12 o'clock, 5 o'clock, and 7 o'clock positions. Just insert the bolts and start them initially -- don't tighten any of them down fully until all 6 of the bolts are stated. This will ensure proper alignment of the collar, and it will also help prevent any of the bolts from binding.

Once the new wheel center is in place and all 6 bolts are properly installed and tightened, re-attach your GT wheel to the T500 base as shown in the second half of the video link above.

Now go racing and enjoy your new bling!

I took the attached pictures for the Website -- I still need to complete the installation instructions to be included with the wheel centers, but that should be done in the next day or so. Once I get that done, I will update the Bodin Solutions Website, so keep your eyes peeled. Most likely, you'll be able to place an order by Wednesday of this week.

:)

Sounds easy enough. And awesome! that sounds great. How much do you think it's going to be priced?

Has anyone had their wheel trimmed with leather or Alacantara? The rubber on my wheel is looking in a sorry state just after 6 months and I was wondering whether that would come under general wear and tear if I asked Thrustmaster for another one.

If it is wear and tear if you have had it re-trimmed, how did you do it?

Thanks

Your best bet would probably be to get a hold of a local auto upholstery shop. Might be a bit expensive, but will probably give the best results.

Back