The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Help! My T500 will not wake up.....I recently tried to update the drivers to V43.....now it is asleep for good. I have tried the boot loader method on several different PC's with no success. Every time I get to the part after restarting and then reattaching the USB while holding the R3/L3 buttons, the message comes back that the USB device is not recognized.....tried to contact Thrustmaster support but they don't answer after keeping me on hold for 60 minutes before their system hangs up on me. Does anyone know whT I can do next to get the wheel back in action?

Help! My T500 will not wake up.....I recently tried to update the drivers to V43.....now it is asleep for good. I have tried the boot loader method on several different PC's with no success. Every time I get to the part after restarting and then reattaching the USB while holding the R3/L3 buttons, the message comes back that the USB device is not recognized.....tried to contact Thrustmaster support but they don't answer after keeping me on hold for 60 minutes before their system hangs up on me. Does anyone know whT I can do next to get the wheel back in action?

Failure during firmware update can be solved by bootloader method.
Depend on your PC, if all is using USB 3.0 port then will get same result. (USB 3.0 comes with blue port)
Try the older one, and do it under administrator account, just to make sure.

hope it helps

^^^^thank you for the reply...I used an older laptop on my final attempt that was a USB 2.0 (the port was not blue) and boot loader did not work.... Any other ideas?

Remove all the Thrustmaster drivers and reboot your PC (or do a shutdown and then start again from the powered-down state). Then try the boot loader method after a full clean boot.

Hi guys, i have my new wheel TR500 but i will like to try changed my wheell degrees less. How does it?

The game is GT6...
It has been mentioned before (several times):
Push and hold mode and left or right D-pad. The mode light wil blink 1-2-3 or 4 times, depending on the rotation angle. You WILL have to repeat before each race, because the wheel does not save that.
For the degrees/light blinks look at Thrustmaster site.

Hey everyone, Just thought I'd post here to get an opinion. I have been considering a t500 for quite some time. I was about to buy one a couple months back for 250 (a great deal) but the guy never got back to me and I ended up picking up a fanatec csr and turbo s, CSS SQ shiftger, and Elite pedals (really don't like the elite pedals stock btw, my custom g27s have a much better brake feel). Both wheels are decent but I am still craving stronger ffb just as I did with my g27 and I believe the T500 will provide me with that. So now I have found another local person selling a newer GT6 version T500 wheel and pedal set with the basherboards mod. He is willing to come down from his asking price of $400 to $350 but that is as low as hell go. He is local so shipping is no issue. My question is weather or not any current t500 owners think this is a good price and if anyone has also used the csr or other older porsche style Fanatec wheels and could provide a comparison that would be great. I am expecting significantly stronger and more powerful ffb with the t500. I found moving from the G27 to the Fanatec wheels to be a somewhat noticeable improvement in overall force but if I'm going to fork out $350 for a wheel (I got the CSR and PWTS for $100 each) I really want to experience a pretty large increase, larger than the jump from the G27 to the Fanatecs when it comes to the overall power and strength of the ffb. I would also expect greater precision and overall feel. I play mostly GT6 but will be moving to PC in the near future. I just thought I'd see what some of the opinions are on here before I decide if its worth upgrading or not. I asked this once before but ended up with the Fanatec wheels at that time. I've read just about every review but I always like to get some first hand opinions :)

Another experience sharing - mounting anything to a Steering Wheel Quick Release (TX RW wheelbase + stock F458 Italia rim + Steelseries SRW-S1 + my custom leather rim):

adapters_1.jpg

adapters_2.jpg

Video:

Printer-friendly PDF with my wooden adapters - txrw_adapters.pdf. And couple more photos.

On PC you mean? Pretty much any shifter with USB connection that is recognized by Windows, I would think. Personally I haven't looked further than my TH8RS.

Wondering on owners comments regards the G28 rim.
How does it feel to a proper real car rim, is it wearing well and is he size good or just a bit too small?

sorry for the late reply

The size is for me perfect
the stock wheel is perfect for road cars but with race cars I like the T28 more
as it steers / reacts a bit faster (as the T500 is a bit slower with fast counter steer due to his default damping)

I like the feel of the leather wheel with the stock wheel I wore bicycle leathered gloves
so used to leather that the G25 have

for the shifting pedals their good but the shaft from the base to the paddle where you have your fingers to shift
could be a bit longer and more bend imho I use the stationary paddles in some situations as the reach is then easier imho

the clicking sound when shifting is a bit louder then G25

Its a great wheel, you feel riding the curbs, dips in the road, and don't have the rattle the G25 . 27 make

I save the car much easier were with the G25 (with damping on 0) you loose the car
so to all G25 users put some damping on it !

Last edited:
Wondering on owners comments regards the G28 rim.
How does it feel to a proper real car rim, is it wearing well and is he size good or just a bit too small?
Since MobSim (France) was not able to deliver me their TM modded 32cm leather rim, I ordered the TM GT28 leather rim.
Tried it, repacked it and send it back.
Size was really too small for me (depends on the person I guess), the leather was ... well... not what I expected it to be, knobs did not feel really good ... no good for me.

Since MobSim (France) was not able to deliver me their TM modded 32cm leather rim, I ordered the TM GT28 leather rim.
Tried it, repacked it and send it back.
Size was really too small for me (depends on the person I guess), the leather was ... well... not what I expected it to be, knobs did not feel really good ... no good for me.

I just got the TM 28 leather wheel and I love it. I love holding and touching it so much more than the stock rubber. I just don't really like the rotary knob thing. And the buttons not being labelled takes some getting used to.

I just got the TM 28 leather wheel and I love it. I love holding and touching it so much more than the stock rubber. I just don't really like the rotary knob thing. And the buttons not being labelled takes some getting used to.
The rotary knob was another thing I did not like. The knobs not being labeled was not much of a setback. I guess you will get used to them pretty quick.
At least I hope so, since my newly ordered Fanatec Porsche 918 has even more, all black knobs (but it measures 32cm) :P

But the "leather" was also not what I had hoped for. I used to have a Logitech G27 and that leather felt better. It was in fact the only thing I liked over the T500RS's rubbery feel, apart from the TM logo that came to replace the GT logo ... :D

The rotary knob was another thing I did not like. The knobs not being labeled was not much of a setback. I guess you will get used to them pretty quick.
At least I hope so, since my newly ordered Fanatec Porsche 918 has even more, all black knobs (but it measures 32cm) :P

But the "leather" was also not what I had hoped for. I used to have a Logitech G27 and that leather felt better. It was in fact the only thing I liked over the T500RS's rubbery feel, apart from the TM logo that came to replace the GT logo ... :D

I also have a G27, and I can't say I prefer the leather of one over the other.

Continuing with my txrw hack - Arduino-based 10+1 button set:

arduino_wheel_01.jpg

arduino_wheel_02.jpg

arduino_wheel_05.jpg

Wiring – click the picture for high-res. I'd recommend Nano boards – Uno is too big to fit anywhere.
arduino_to_thrustmaster_wheelbase_wiring_1600x1200.jpg

Arduino firmware source – tx_rw_ferrari_458_wheel_emu_16buttons.zip.
Blog post and a video – a bit later. Happy modding! :)

Looking great. Is this gong to be console compatible?

I'd been looking at Arduino Nano to add Rev/Shifters lights https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...rs-or-any-wheels-without-shift-lights.330896/ which you might be able to assist whether the parts I had listed my be enough for what I'm trying to achieve.

28GT: The new (a bit smaller) real leather wheel

tmleather28gtwheeladdon-product1.jpg

It looks like the Rim can removed from the Buttonplate/Hub. I would be cool to mount a Fanatec Flat 1 to it. Loosing the D-Pad isnt a big deal for me.

28GT users here? Please have a look to it. Thanks.

UH-Rim-Flat1_big_01-1000x666.png

Last edited:
Looking great. Is this gong to be console compatible?

I'd been looking at Arduino Nano to add Rev/Shifters lights https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...rs-or-any-wheels-without-shift-lights.330896/ which you might be able to assist whether the parts I had listed my be enough for what I'm trying to achieve.

Button set connects directly into the wheelbase. No external power, no USB, no drivers needed. As long as console supports a wheelbase - yes :)

Rev/shifter lights - that's interesting. If it's arduino-based - it must be a stand-alone USB device (+some software), right? I was thinking about old Android phone as a rev lights display. There are free apps in google play, and all works over wi-fi.

Last edited:
Button set connects directly into the wheelbase. No external power, no USB, no drivers needed. As long as console supports a wheelbase - yes :)

... good job with emulation, I have few questions:

- why use arduino if you can do the same thing with three shift registers in same way as thrustmaster?
- do you know frequency of SS ans SCK signals from the wheelbase?
- do you think button debounce is not needed since button state is read only when SS is HIGH?

... good job with emulation, I have few questions:

- why use arduino if you can do the same thing with three shift registers in same way as thrustmaster?
- do you know frequency of SS ans SCK signals from the wheelbase?
- do you think button debounce is not needed since button state is read only when SS is HIGH?

1. Yep, can be done with shift registers - see post #7230 by itrdc5 (but there's no schematics). Using PISO registers require making a PCB + soldering. Arduino is ready to use board - allows anyone to take wires and connect buttons (little to no soldering at all).

2. Not yet, but I think we can measure that. Hmm.

3. As far as I see, there's no contacts bounce (at least I didn't notice any faulty button presses), so you're probably right, High level on Slave Select wire locks the button state - and this acts as a debounce. Ah, firstly I tried setting 50ms delay between button scans (delay is also a primitive debounce) - but there was no difference, so I removed it from my arduino sketch (there's an infinite button scan loop() without delays, and data transfer to wheelbase happens in interrupt).

Thanks for your interest!

Hiya everyone! Finally something for T500RS owners.

Last week I've got an email from Seth Francis Sim Racing - Seth repeated my steps to read the data structure from his T500 GT rim. And we managed to emulate it using Arduino. Had to walk through several debug steps – and we have a stable firmware sketch, tested and confirmed to work with T500RS wheelbase.

Schematics - connecting Arduino to T500RS. Click for hi-res.
arduino_nano_thrustmaster_t500_gt_wheel_emulation.jpg

Firmware source code (t500_gt_wheel_emu_13buttons.ino) is in my blog post.
Seth is planning to share photos/videos of his custom button plate build - expected later.

Hello rr4m, I have finally uploaded my video to YouTube! This video will show the T500 working with my Arduino powered button plate on both the PC through the Thrustmaster control panel as well as with the PS3. I must give many thanks to rr4m for providing all of the sketches and for going through all of the debugging steps despite my lack of Arduino knowledge. I am very pleased to have found a way to use my own custom button plates with my T500RS but still maintain communication through the main T500 circuit board thus maintaining console compatibility. Asside from creating your own circuit board there is only one other option for a custom, console compatible Thrustmaster button plate and that option is quite expensive. There is the option of using the GTE rims plate with an adapter and aftermarket rim but I think the Arduino route is much nicer in the end. This is a great modification for any DIYers out there. It is amazing that rr4m was not only able to emulate the circuitry of the original Thrustmaster Rims, but also the fact that all of the information resulting from his work is being provided to the sim community free of charge 👍. I look forward to seeing some other DIYers making there own button plates and displaying them here for us all to see. Here is the YouTube video for the T500 button plate with Arduino Uno!

Last edited:
Great work with some of the mods above guys.
If somebody developed a nicely packaged "console compatible" wheel plate sure would be popular.

I've just purchased a TX458 (£220 Dabs) for Forza 6.
Ok the new 458 Servo base has been announced but this price is cheaper and I might just auction off the 458 rim and pedals.

I am looking a tidy option with d-pad reach/functionality for both T500/458 wheelbases for console usage to support 320/330 rims.

What are the best options (inc working d-pad)

Last edited:
Back