The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
I'm a big fan of Fanatec products and don't want to put you off buying them, but be aware they've had their own share of customer service and defect complaints on these forums. They're not without their faults. They've hired Darin Gangi of ISR fame (and look to be hiring more staff) for support and development, so hopefully they're turning the corner.

12thgear
I'm a big fan of Fanatec products and don't want to put you off buying them, but be aware they've had their own share of customer service and defect complaints on these forums. They're not without their faults. They've hired Darin Gangi of ISR fame (and look to be hiring more staff) for support and development, so hopefully they're turning the corner.

I know why I went T500. However seems I didn't avoid customer service issues like expected.

TM customer service is A+ in my opinion. First wheel burnt up, they sent me a new unit and only wanted the wheel in return. Now have 2 pedal assemblies and perfectly good functioning wheel. E-mailed them for a new fan and they wanted a video with sound. Told them no I will not send video why should I? Now have a backup fan if mine ever craps out.
We are the consumer of their product, they will do what you ask. If you ask them nicely. All of this by the way, for only the price of my original purchase.

I will not be ordering another product from this company. t500 will he replaced with a Fanatec come release of their new wheel.

At which point I will put this headache in a box and have it for a back up.

Complete and utterly disgusted by the shady business ethics.

The fans are a common problem. Replace the defective units like a company with integrity would.

I totally agree. Plus the should pay for shipping too.

VINCE__
l. E-mailed them for a new fan and they wanted a video with sound. Told them no I will not send video why should I? Now have a backup fan if mine ever craps out.
This is exactly why warranty work is a pain through smaller companies. It may even be considered fraud and since it was mailed to you it may even be encroaching felony mail fraud.

I have seen some of the best customer service oriented companies become the hardest companies to get parts from in the paintball industry. Even when I was a factory certified tech running a store/field.
People took advantage of the replacements and getting even simple things turned into a major pain.

Kudos to you for scamming the system and makong everyone elses life that much harder.

Its a faulty batch of fans . Anyone who owns a Thrustmaster is owed a new fan in my opinion .Its not scamming at all.If we really wanted to get ****** and enough people complain maybe a product recall would be in order as someone mentioned.

OwensRacing
I will not be ordering another product from this company. t500 will he replaced with a Fanatec come release of their new wheel.

At which point I will put this headache in a box and have it for a back up.

Complete and utterly disgusted by the shady business ethics.

The fans are a common problem. Replace the defective units like a company with integrity would.

[Like]

blown540ci
Its a faulty batch of fans . Anyone who owns a Thrustmaster is owed a new fan in my opinion .Its not scamming at all.If we really wanted to get ****** and enough people complain maybe a product recall would be in order as someone mentioned.

I agree, it seems alot of people are having fan problems. But you wont really see threads like " hey my fan works great!"

Anyway. It is still scamming wether or not you say everyone is entitled to a new fan until there is an official recall.
Once there is an official recall then call away and get a backup to your working fan.
how is it not a scam. It was posted that he blatantly lied to TM to get a fan for backup.

Caz
This is exactly why warranty work is a pain through smaller companies. It may even be considered fraud and since it was mailed to you it may even be encroaching felony mail fraud.

I have seen some of the best customer service oriented companies become the hardest companies to get parts from in the paintball industry. Even when I was a factory certified tech running a store/field.
People took advantage of the replacements and getting even simple things turned into a major pain.

Kudos to you for scamming the system and makong everyone elses life that much harder.

To each their own. But when mine craps out, and it will. I will be prepared and not singing the blues on this thread. Besides that who are you to judge me and my actions?

VINCE__
Besides that who are you to judge me and my actions?

Someone who has seen companies customer service decline because of the very things like what you have done to TM. Taking advantage of a warranty.
If you took offense to what I posted then you know im right.
Not hear to attack you personally, or attack your integrity. Nor do I want to argue the point. I wont change your mind and you wont change mine so lets not try. Cheers

Sorry for taking this off topic and I wont post on the matter here again.

So, TM won the hearts of sim racers with a seemingly fantastic product with great support, only to completely backpedal when the "S" hits the fan.

Recall: might be in order, but what is the % of faulty units.that have been sold. Again, people with problems are always more vocal than those who are satisfied.

Good luck with your wheel Vince, I hope you do not need he replacement fan and wont have to go through the hassle.of replacing it, even though you have an operational back up.

Last edited:
Interesting developments over the last few months.

I sincerly hope all those wankers that chastised me for posting that the FAN was faulty waaaaaay back in January when I picked up one of the first T500's, have the manhood to offer an apology.

;)

I am not counting on it though.

RC, how many hours dis you have on your first unit? How many hours per "session" were you running?

(not chastising or filling my flame thrower's fuel tank)

RC, how many hours dis you have on your first unit? How many hours per "session" were you running?

(not chastising or filling my flame thrower's fuel tank)

I believe my first unit went belly up after about 30 hours. Most where 4 to 5 hour sessions spread over about 4 days calendar time.

To respond rudely to a question not asked of me :)... I think my fan went faulty between one and two hundred hours, running 2-8 hour sessions. I'm kind a glad it went faulty so soon considering TM were excellent in repairing my wheel very quickly.

To respond rudely to a question not asked of me :)... I think my fan went faulty between one and two hundred hours, running 2-8 hour sessions. I'm kind a glad it went faulty so soon considering TM were excellent in repairing my wheel very quickly.

Mine was returned to the store I purchased it at 5 days later. I was nto about to pay for any return shipping or wait on their support.

They actually demanded I provide proof it was their fan and not some fake ambient noise I had playing in the video I posted.

And they made that claim via FaceBook no less.

The second unit I got developed the same fan noise within a week but I just resigned myself to the possibility the fan may die sooner than later.

Hell, before the end of January I had already bought and returned or shipped on to others 4 of the damn things beforeTM had properly responded to my orginal support call .

And by "properly' I mean they offered me the choice of shippign the wheel on my dime to their facility in canada for further evaluation.

;)

Meh, I don't want to sound like a killjoy - the T500RS is bloody fantastic when coupled with the ActLabs shifter and Fanatec CSP's on the PC.

Well worth the cost and headaches.

I'm sorry you got mad, but I'm not responsible for your feelings though. It seems you're a bit of a brute. But that's fine with me. I immagine that by using derrogatory statements towards others, you often speak to yourself in the same manner, and that's a shame. Maybe the act of comparing your manhood with others on a wheel forum is a sign of deep insecurity. Maybe you should get that cheked by a doctor. What really makes me wonder is why you come on this post and start talking about how the wheel would work fine with out a fan? Are you simpleminded or just corrupt? Also the fact that that you come here all high and mighty and start telling other that it was your persistance and nad formation that got your issue fixed is annoying and delusional. I Believe if you live far away from where the wheel will be fixed thrustmaster doesn't want to help because they dont want to pay for shipping. In other words Thrustmaster is giving people the run around with warranties depending on their geographical location, not on the size of their balls. But please keep on dreaming about being the alpha kid in the room.

I wish I had time to actually read this poorly written paragraph if I can even call it that, so I could respond accordingly. Giving you more attention would only support your wack attitude and behaviour. Be good pal.

I wish I had time to actually read this poorly written paragraph if I can even call it that, so I could respond accordingly. Giving you more attention would only support your wack attitude and behaviour. Be good pal.

It takes two to tango... you also werent very nice... «grow some balls»????? what if it is a girl on the other side... and unlike Owensracing that actualy explained how he got his problem sorted (helping others learning how to do the same) you didnt help much with that «Man up like me» attitude...

and how can a customer service be quite good if they try to give you the usual run around (using your own words)... thats something I really cant figure out :dopey::dopey::dunce:

Fact - logitech has a better costumer support service.

Mine was returned to the store I purchased it at 5 days later. I was nto about to pay for any return shipping or wait on their support.

They actually demanded I provide proof it was their fan and not some fake ambient noise I had playing in the video I posted.

And they made that claim via FaceBook no less.

The second unit I got developed the same fan noise within a week but I just resigned myself to the possibility the fan may die sooner than later.

Hell, before the end of January I had already bought and returned or shipped on to others 4 of the damn things beforeTM had properly responded to my orginal support call .

And by "properly' I mean they offered me the choice of shippign the wheel on my dime to their facility in canada for further evaluation.

;)

Meh, I don't want to sound like a killjoy - the T500RS is bloody fantastic when coupled with the ActLabs shifter and Fanatec CSP's on the PC.

Well worth the cost and headaches.

Yeah I remember all that at the time, I think it helped me as mine went a matter of days after and I got straight on it with the video. They had the wheel collected fro me me, shipped to France and returned fixed in 2 days.

I think it's a real shame for them and us that some penny pinching scrote approved a sub par fan. I believe that had TM not had to replace so many, they could have upheld much better customer service for any other issues.

I agree though. Well worth it and I'll be all over the shifter in a month And most likely the F1 wheel in a fortnight.

Im sure its very good and worth it but cant Thrustmaster and Fanatec realize that poor customer support puts off alot of customers and decreases sales figures????

Im sure its very good and worth it but cant Thrustmaster and Fanatec realize that poor customer support puts off alot of customers and decreases sales figures????

I am fortunate enough to not be in my 20's and constantly broke (like when I bought my first motorcycle) but rather in my fat 40's and have more disposable income than I used to so the cost of the Fanatec GT2 and the cost of the T500 where not the real problem, the real problem is/was their flipant attitude to the consumer after the sale.

If I would have had to penny pinch and go "Raman Noodles" for a month to afford the wheels I would NOT have bought them.

By contrast when I was 19 I spent pretty much my entire weeks wage for 6 months to buy my RZ350YPVS - I would not have done the same thing for these wheels.

I don't know if that analogy makes any sense LOL...???

It takes two to tango... you also werent very nice... «grow some balls»????? what if it is a girl on the other side... and unlike Owensracing that actualy explained how he got his problem sorted (helping others learning how to do the same) you didnt help much with that «Man up like me» attitude...

and how can a customer service be quite good if they try to give you the usual run around (using your own words)... thats something I really cant figure out :dopey::dopey::dunce:

Fact - logitech has a better costumer support service.

You can't really figure it out because it was meant to be a sarcastic remark. I wrongly assumed that most people would get that I wasn't being serious.

...and it does take two to tango, but if you are going to make a comment, you should realize who started the whole thing.

I was verbally attacked and disrespected, being accused of working for Thrustmaster, or for not having enough sense to see how they are treating their customers over this product. I am a long time reader of this website, and I have seen people rudely make accusations like this before, or berate other people for providing their honest opinions, and I for one wont stand for it. People act all sorts of ways when sitting behind their computer, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and not have anything to say about it.

I overreacted a bit, and I am mature enough to admit that. He needed to be put in his place. No one was even talking to him in the first place. No way would a girl have been such a d-bag to even come out like that and talk to someone they don't even know, in anyway they please.

I apologize to you and everyone else here if I disrupted the flow of this thread. I don't however apologize for how I responded to that other dude. He was rude and he was asking for a confrontation to happen. He just assumed that I was probably a Thrustmaster rep, and wouldn't come back to respond to his punk *ss. Again, I apologize, and I'm willing to drop it from here on out.

On a higher note, Logitech is above both TM and Fanatec when it comes to dealing with their customers and making great products. The only reason I even took a chance on the T500 was because I couldn't find any available G27s in my country. I don't regret buying the T500 though. I just hope it lasts long enough so I get my money's worth.

I am fortunate enough to not be in my 20's and constantly broke (like when I bought my first motorcycle) but rather in my fat 40's and have more disposable income than I used to so the cost of the Fanatec GT2 and the cost of the T500 where not the real problem, the real problem is/was their flipant attitude to the consumer after the sale.

If I would have had to penny pinch and go "Raman Noodles" for a month to afford the wheels I would NOT have bought them.

By contrast when I was 19 I spent pretty much my entire weeks wage for 6 months to buy my RZ350YPVS - I would not have done the same thing for these wheels.

I don't know if that analogy makes any sense LOL...???

Makes sense, I paid £20 more for my T500 than I did for my first car :crazy:

Someone upload those fan replacement instructions in English plz because I'm still quite a bit dubious about all of these fan issues. I find it very fishy I've only been able to find 1 single thread at iRacing about this where just this 1 guy was complaining bout a loud fan.

So this leaves me to conclude either of these 2 things:

1) PC sim racer doesn't bat an eye at the idea of replacing his fan versus a console user

2) GT5 is breaking yall wheels with all the whipping bout going into menus along with FFB settings

Also I am going to ask a mod can we get a T8RS thread humming along cause that would be awesome. No offense but I'd rather avoid all this bad karma bout broken fans :scared:

I said yesterday I won't by the shifter. However I am sucker for a banger and miss it so much on my old G27.

I prob cave in and buy it. :(

As well prob just take the pathetic route of changing my fan.

I will be sure to tell of my experience. If anything to help those later with issues. Maybe the warranty dept will get a remodel and flush.

For real if you get those instructions can you upload them? If that's a big hassle I can PM you my personal email and I will be happy to upload it for you guys.

I dont understand why the wheel rim thread stuck around and the shifter thread got closed. I mean, the rim is a replacement whilst the shifter is a whole new product.

sandboxgod
For real if you get those instructions can you upload them? If that's a big hassle I can PM you my personal email and I will be happy to upload it for you guys.

I will get them loaded no problem. My honest side talked me out buying new. Shoving broke wheel in box and returning. I deliberated over it all day yesterday. Decided against it. That stuff has ripple effects.

So with that I will consider others and just take the cheap cop out from TM.

OwensRacing
I said yesterday I won't by the shifter. However I am sucker for a banger and miss it so much on my old G27.

I prob cave in and buy it. :(

As well prob just take the pathetic route of changing my fan.

I will be sure to tell of my experience. If anything to help those later with issues. Maybe the warranty dept will get a remodel and flush.

If your PC's video card crapped out, would you send your whole tower to XYZ for them to replace it? Nope. You'd take the side cover off, unscrew a couple of screws or undo a latch, slide the faulty card out, put the replacement (usually a refurb) in, button it all back up, and be on your merry way ;). Now, if you had a Mac or laptop that would be a different story!

The vast majority of electronic things we all own, of you take the cover off and start meddling around inside, you void your warranty. This better be a super simple job! Or Thrustmaster is doing everything they can to avoid caving in to a recall or worse.

If your PC's video card crapped out, would you send your whole tower to XYZ for them to replace it? Nope. You'd take the side cover off, unscrew a couple of screws or undo a latch, slide the faulty card out, put the replacement (usually a refurb) in, button it all back up, and be on your merry way ;). Now, if you had a Mac or laptop that would be a different story!

The vast majority of electronic things we all own, of you take the cover off and start meddling around inside, you void your warranty. This better be a super simple job! Or Thrustmaster is doing everything they can to avoid caving in to a recall or worse.

If you buy a complete PC system and one thing goes faulty, you have to return the whole damn thing, and I mean even the keyboard and mouse if you want your warranty honoured, you cannot open the PC case because it will have tamper proof stickers on it.

On the other hand, if you build your own PC then you can do whatever you like with it, but I doubt if anyone will be building their own Thrustmaster wheel anytime soon ?

If you buy a complete PC system and one thing goes faulty, you have to return the whole damn thing, and I mean even the keyboard and mouse if you want your warranty honoured, you cannot open the PC case because it will have tamper proof stickers on it.

On the other hand, if you build your own PC then you can do whatever you like with it, but I doubt if anyone will be building their own Thrustmaster wheel anytime soon ?

I have never seen this. Dells, HP's Vaios, never seen a pc that had a tamper sticker on the door. I've opened my fair share of laptops as well and haven't found tamper stickers. Maybe it varies by country maybe it has something to do with the magnuson moss act in the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Back