The track you miss the most

• Thread starter Andy GT
  • 53 comments
I miss Special Stage R11. It was fun to play it in GT1 and GT 3 but it was sad thet they removed it in GT4 :( I just hope as everyone here that the track will return in GT5

I miss Red Rock Speedway. Gawping at the sunset whilst driving around always caused me to screw up :dunce:

Anyone know why they haven't used that in GT3, GT4, and the up and coming GT5?. Ive looked around and drew a blank.

AngloAmerican

I miss Special Stage R11. It was fun to play it in GT1 and GT 3 but it was sad thet they removed it in GT4 :( I just hope as everyone here that the track will return in GT5

With you on that!
Also Rome Circuit.

In GT1 I missed Special Stage Route 11, i love that track. GT2, Red Rock Valley...i love the sunset of the track and the layout. Rome circuit too (this one is already confirmed for GT5). In GT3, I'd like Complex String, simply awesome that track!

I miss Red Rock Speedway. Gawping at the sunset whilst driving around always caused me to screw up :dunce:

Anyone know why they haven't used that in GT3, GT4, and the up and coming GT5?. Ive looked around and drew a blank.

AngloAmerican

My theory?

GT3 dropped banked tracks altogether (besides Test Curse and Stupor Seedway). In general, a lot of tracks that first made an appearance in GT2 aren't in GT3. This includes Pike's Peak, Grindywald, Motorland, all Tahiti tracks (except the Maze), and a couple others I'm forgetting.

They brought back High Speed Ring (banked track) in GT4 because it was a famous GT1 track, but PD also wanted to try to include lots more real-life tracks (Motegi, Suzuka, Infineon, Tsukuba, etc) to make GT4 competitive with Forza, therefore Red Rock Speedway got the boot again. Notice that PD again completely ignored GT2 tracks, except Tahiti Maze. I have no idea why this is. They created these tracks, there's no licensing issues or anything like that which could prevent them from using GT2 tracks again. :confused:

Notice in GT5P, Eiger is a Swiss track. This is (my opinion) obviously supposed to be a replacement for Grindelwald. If you read the info on Grindelwald the town, you can see that it's in the same vicinity as Eiger.

Personally, I'd like to see a revamped version of RRS in GT5. Problem is, when they brought back High Speed Ring in GT4 & 5, it kinda sucks. It hasn't got that razor-edge dangerous feeling like it did in the earliest games. PD also screwed up turn 3 (making it non-banked) and the scenery isn't as colorful.

Last edited:
Hey,
I miss the Yoshi Circuit. I play it all the time on Mario Kart DS, but it's not as fun as it was on Mario Kart : Double Dash.

Thanks.

What??? Are you sure you're even on the right website???

I agree with PB though, the newer versions of classic GT tracks are worse than their older counterparts. PD obviously wants to make them to look more professional and realistic, since that's the general direction that the game is going, but to us older fans the 'arcadeness' of these older tracks are what makes them so special and different from real-life circuits. Like someone has posted in another thread over in the GT5 forum, I hope PD brings back the older versions of the original tracks as variations (just like Fuji has 3 variations over the years, I also want to see HSR GT1/2, HSR GT4 and HSR GT5P versions).

Come to think of it, out of the 11 original tracks in GT1, the only one that hasn't been touched is Autumn Ring.

Last edited:
I think in more recent games Autumn Ring got a little of the "turn long gradual corners into straight, corner, straight", just like Grand Valley Speedway did. The section where you head towards the underpass before the 270 degree drifter special corner. Also a little bit in the chicaney section just after the start. The Mini track definitely got that treatment where it shortcuts the full track.

Hey,
I miss the Yoshi Circuit. I play it all the time on Mario Kart DS, but it's not as fun as it was on Mario Kart : Double Dash.

Thanks.

Hey,

Thanks.

ha! Dude, you're like wayyy on the wrong area of this website. I bet GTP has a Mario Kart thread somewhere, but it's probably in the "other games" section. :lol: Buried very deep. :)

*psst...my fave is the Mushroom Cup. ;)

My theory?

GT3 dropped banked tracks altogether (besides Test Curse and Stupor Seedway). In general, alot of tracks that first made an apperance in GT2 aren't in GT3. This includes Pike's Peak, Grindywald, Motorland, all Tahiti tracks (except the MAze), and a couple others I'm forgetting.

They brought back High Speed Ring (banked track) in GT4 because it was a famous GT1 track, but PD also wanted to try to include lots more real-life tracks (Motegi, Suzuka, Infineon, Tsukuba, etc) to make GT4 competitive with Forza, therefore Red Rock Speedway got the boot again. Notice that PD again completely ignored GT2 tracks, except Tahiti Maze. I have no idea why this is. They created these tracks, there's no licensing issues or anything like that which could prevent them from using GT2 tracks again. :confused:

Notice in GT5P, Eiger is a Swiss track. This is (my opinion) obviously supposed to be a replacement for Grindelwald. If you read the info on Grindelwald the town, you can see that it's in the same vicinity as Eiger.

Personally, I'd like to see a revamped version of RRS in GT5. Problem is, when they brought back High Speed Ring in GT4 & 5, it kinda sucks. It hasn't got that razor-edge dangerous feeling like it did in the earliest games. PD also screwed up turn 3 (making it non-banked) and the scenery isn't as colorful.

Thank You for your theory Parnelli Bone.

I was kinda hoping it may of made a long awaited return in GT5, but apparently not. Grindelwald is another one i miss now that you mention it. I was glad that the HSR made a return, but like you said, it didnt feel quite right when on it, as oposed to racing there on the earlier games. I was glad that they included Tsukuba in GT4, as personally its my fav of the newer ones (so to speak). I dunno what it is about it, but i just love going there and running lap after lap.

Thanks Again.

AngloAmerican

At the risk of being WAAAY to simple in a very old thread,
If we can get all bajilliondy versions of Fuji GT in GT4, What is the "heartburn" in adding both versions SSR-11? (I personally hate that track, but for the aficionados...)
While we are at it please consider:
The Pikes Peaks hillclimb
Both versions of Midfield (Though the original is my favorite)
Grindelwald
Red Rock Valley
The Tahiti Road course
Rome and Rome night (as Rome got the boot in GT4)

In point of fact, if we keep Daytona, I'm all for dumping the Test Curse...I mean, Course.

The straight-curve-straight replacement of some of the long gradual curves looks like a track editor change. Of course one wonders how why such restrictions came in when they were modeling a lot more real-life tracks.

Perhaps the better track modelers are now working on the real-life tracks, and the loss of the long curves is a consequence of that.

I have heard the double-chicane of the original SSR11 was difficult to get the AI cars to learn to take.

The second version didn't seem to me to have the realistic feeling of the first, for some reason. The modelling of the underpass in the first version was perhaps difficult to do, too.

I do occasionally wonder what happened to Pikes Peak. Perhaps the course owners didn't like the treatment it got, or perhaps some other developer now has the rights?

I think in more recent games Autumn Ring got a little of the "turn long gradual corners into straight, corner, straight", just like Grand Valley Speedway did. The section where you head towards the underpass before the 270 degree drifter special corner. Also a little bit in the chicaney section just after the start. The Mini track definitely got that treatment where it shortcuts the full track.

Really? I didn't get that feeling when I was driving around AR in GTPSP. I'll have to look more closely next time...

Gil
At the risk of being WAAAY to simple in a very old thread,
If we can get all bajilliondy versions of Fuji GT in GT4, What is the "heartburn" in adding both versions SSR-11? (I personally hate that track, but for the aficionados...)

Amen.

Gil
While we are at it please consider:
The Pikes Peaks hillclimb
Both versions of Midfield (Though the original is my favorite)
Grindelwald
Red Rock Valley
The Tahiti Road course
Rome and Rome night (as Rome got the boot in GT4)

Amen x7. And please bring back Pikes Peak as a FULL course, not the butchered up GT2 version.

Rome is confirmed BTW, although it is not known if it will use the old layout (probably not, but one can hope)...

Gil
In point of fact, if we keep Daytona, I'm all for dumping the Test Curse...I mean, Course.

NOOOOO!!!!! We may have Daytona, Indy and a few more ovals, but the Test Course MUST stay. I'd like them to have two versions as well: the shorter, bumpier GT1/2 version and the longer, smoother GT3/4 version.

Unless if they modelled Ehra-Lessien, then sayonara Test Course :P.

The straight-curve-straight replacement of some of the long gradual curves looks like a track editor change. Of course one wonders how why such restrictions came in when they were modeling a lot more real-life tracks.

Perhaps the better track modelers are now working on the real-life tracks, and the loss of the long curves is a consequence of that.

Interesting theory. I doubt that a track editor will ever make its way into any GT game, but you just opened up a new possibility there.

I still think the change is because PD wants to make these tracks look more 'professional' and 'clean'. I just hope they don't start adding chicanes like FIA does to most RL tracks nowadays :ouch:.

I have heard the double-chicane of the original SSR11 was difficult to get the AI cars to learn to take.

I was under the impression that they were too hard for human players to take :sly:.

The second version didn't seem to me to have the realistic feeling of the first, for some reason. The modelling of the underpass in the first version was perhaps difficult to do, too.

Again, interesting theory. I don't think this is the answer though. Tokyo R246 also has an underpass section near the end, doesn't it? Althought admitedly, it isn't as complex as SSR11's.

I do occasionally wonder what happened to Pikes Peak. Perhaps the course owners didn't like the treatment it got, or perhaps some other developer now has the rights?

If PD were going to butcher up the track, the owners must have known beforehand, surely? So I think it's more about licensing issues as Pikes Peak is included in Codemaster's Dirt 1 game, so Codies may have the exclusive right. It is not included in Dirt 2 however, so PD might have reacquired the rights again.

Gil

Noooo!! How will I do my track-testing then? :crazy: Track testing is usually done at a Test Curse-style track in real-life...with long, flat straights and mathematically similar banked curves at both ends. I'm all for scrapping any Test Curse races though, with the exception of Like the Wind.

I can see keeping Test Course for testing purposes ONLY.

Like the Wind is a 20 lap mini-enduro at the Test Course for Super fast (240 MPH or better) cars. It showcases skills like drafting and finding the line around the high banked corners.
I'm not the person who coined the term "Test CURSE"...So I don't believe that I'm the only one that HATES racing on it.
Personally, I used to tailor the gearing on my cars for the track I was racing on.
I'd balance acceleration and top end with the length of the LONGEST straight on whatever track I was racing on. So, My Skyline would have faster acceleration on Autumn Ring, than it would at Grand Valley.
But the Top end would be higher at Grand Valley.

Speaking of which Grand Valley is another track that could be had with both versions, though I like the classic version of GT1 - 3 best.

I can see your side of the argument there, but some of us here (me included) are power and speed maniacs :D. The Test Course is the perfect place to unleash our deepest desires to run a car to its absolute limits without worrying about other things. And allowing races at the Test Course means you can slipstream, so you can reach even higher speeds :D.

Gil
Like the Wind is a 20 lap mini-enduro at the Test Course for Super fast (240 MPH or better) cars. It showcases skills like drafting and finding the line around the high banked corners.
I believe I agree LeGeNd.

Back