Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In Circuit Experience, I did section 2 of Bathurst and beat my best time on the first attempt by 0.2 second. I know that section very well because I had frustration with it so I did it many times.

But it could also be that I've improved as a driver over these months and also because McLaren is my FIA Manufacturer so I know that car very well now:boggled:

In conclusion: *shrugs* :boggled:

Edit: But it does feel less scary going through there than usual. Could be because tire wear is off

Last edited:
VBR
Whatever you do, make sure that your wheel settings are set to 7/4/10.
Why? I've used 7/4/8 usually as 10 can be too hard on me sometimes. Maybe you're just big muscles man with big strength

Why? I've used 7/4/8 usually as 10 can be too hard on me sometimes. Maybe you're just big muscles man with big strength

4 is torque, that's the strength of the wheel, so ours is set the same. G29 will clip if set to 5 or above, so 4 is the best. The last setting is sensitivity, not much difference between 8 & 10, but for a game who's FFB isn't that sensitive anyway I see no point in lowering it. As for the 7 setting, that only affects controllers (DS4's), but some people think it's bugged with wheels so best to leave it on 7 imho.

Yea I don't get it either but I leave controller on 7 and let the superstitions do their thing. I'll move it up to 4/10 and see how that feels

Standing starts seem to yield much better 0-60 results on sports hard tires. I've got a list of a few cars I've tested here:
Ferrari Enzo: 3.65s (Real time: 3.6s)
BMW M4: 4.50s (Real time: 4.0s)
Golf GTI: 6.38s (Real time: 6.0-6.4s)
Supra RZ: 5.68s (Real time: 5.3s)
458 Italia: 3.75s (Real time:3.1s)
Mustang GT: 5.50s (Real time: 4.8s)
911 GT3 RS: 3.51s (Real time:3.3s)
*Real times are from fastestlaps.com

Testing method: Sports hard tires, no aids except with TCS set to 1. Tested on Maggiore Centre (The road is flat at the starting grid, no inclines). I began tests by parking as close as possible to the start line(GTS seems to start the timer as your driver passes the line so you have to park a little over) and then pausing the game after reaching 60mph. Not the most perfect method but it works.

Standing starts seem to yield much better 0-60 results on sports hard tires. I've got a list of a few cars I've tested here:
Ferrari Enzo: 3.65s (Real time: 3.6s)
BMW M4: 4.50s (Real time: 4.0s)
Golf GTI: 6.38s (Real time: 6.0-6.4s)
Supra RZ: 5.68s (Real time: 5.3s)
458 Italia: 3.75s (Real time:3.1s)
Mustang GT: 5.50s (Real time: 4.8s)
911 GT3 RS: 3.51s (Real time:3.3s)
*Real times are from fastestlaps.com

Testing method: Sports hard tires, no aids except with TCS set to 1. Tested on Maggiore Centre (The road is flat at the starting grid, no inclines). I began tests by parking as close as possible to the start line(GTS seems to start the timer as your driver passes the line so you have to park a little over) and then pausing the game after reaching 60mph. Not the most perfect method but it works.
That's actually a pretty good method :D and surprisingly good results.

Feels like an improvement to me. Overall, less slip and slightly more understeer. Feels like you're actually driving on rubber.
Specifically i tested:

Porsche 911 RSR with RSS tires on Nurburgring GP.
I was fairly easily matching my usual pace with that setup at a high 1:52 after just 2 laps.

Porsche 911 RSR with RH tires on Dragon Trail.
I could really feel the difference in the tire model with this combination. There was much less snap-oversteer, although too much throttle would still kick the rear out. But you can actually feel the tires flexing, meaning the car doesn't suddenly snap on you, and the limit of the grip seem to be slightly higher, allowing for more precise throttle inputs, as opposed to either running full throttle or half throttle, as i found myself doing most of the time, pre-update. There was definitely more understeer going into the double chicane and through the final corner. My pace was down by about a second compared to my usual qualifying performance, although i only did 2 laps, so there's probably room for improvement.

Nissan GT-R Nismo with SH tires on Tsukuba.
SH tires feel much improved. Once again, you can actually feel the tires flexing, and the limit of the grip. It no longer feels like you're just skating across the surface. I was able to quite easily beat my qualifying from a daily race a while back, by over a second.

LaFerrari on SS/SH tires at Lago Maggiore.
The LaFerrari still spins up it's wheels through 3rd gear, and sometimes in 4th. But like with the GT-R, it doesn't feel like you're skating across the surface anymore, so it is slightly more drivable.

As for the supposed handling tweaks to Formula cars on the DS4? I certainly don't feel it. Even on RSS tires the W08 immediatly pivots once the steering lock is too high, and considering how steering lock works on the DS4, there's hardly anything you can do about it except going super slowly.

That's what I needed! ThNks a lot!

Of course the car's wheels spin under 100% throttle without any TC, that's perfectly natural! I can't wait to try it myself! :)

I ended up doing 75 miles with the 458 on Suzuka all in all, & can say it's an improvement. There's still too much understeer for my liking, but hey - this is Gran Turismo! Like I said before, it's not 100% there, but definitely a step in the right direction & makes the game more playable. I hope you enjoy the improvements.

👍

I've had a chance to do a few laps this morning and it feels much better. You definitely can feel the tire flexing so it's a lot more fun to find the limit in all situations wether you're understeering in a low speed corner with a fwd or finding the grip limit at a high speed corner. Snap oversteer (in the m4) can still happen but it is more manageable. It feel like everything is a bit more gradual even if you go over the limit. Overall this update has the benefit of bringing out the individual character of each car and separate them more. More longevity added to the game.

I just did a 10 minute Custom Race on Suzuka in the 458, AI on Pro, heavy damage/everything set to real, & it was pretty awesome! The car really is so drive-able now, & I was in P1 by degner on lap 3. It was literally unrace-able in stock form before, but now it feels like an actual car. I suspect that the FFB has been tweaked a little also, as the wheel feels slightly heavier, but there's no loss of detail. Standing starts are a challenge, but with some practice & skill you can get a good launch (the AI have magic Launch Control though). It's also a challenge to get the power down out of the hairpin going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, & I think to be fast here in this car with stock settings will require finding where the limit is; I'm not quite there yet & the AI were faster than me out of that bend.

I'm liking this tyre model update more & more the more I drive on it. Awesome job PD!

:cheers:

The karts are driveable now!! :D:D:D:D:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I managed not to spin on my first lap around brands with the G29. (Changed torque to 9 and sensitivity to 3)

It seems like the nations round on Tsukuba will finally be fun!

Edit: 13 laps, no spinning :')

It really seems like tire flex was a major factor, now the karts can go over curbs without launching off to space :lol: Also, they're now manageable over ondulation.

Last edited:
I’m happy with the improvements that are there, a step in the right direction in some ways, but I think the low speed and particularly physics during acceleration while wheelspinning from a standstill is still quite a way off realistic.

The test I’ve used in-game is a 300hp FC Rx7 with Sports Soft tyres (as I’ve both driven and ridden as a passenger in one a bunch of times in real life with this amount of power and that had Yokohama AD08R semi-slick tyres, which I’m making the assumption here that “Sports Soft” within GT is aiming to replicate such semi slicks; as you can see in replays that when you select Racing Hard or grippier, they’re a slick tyre. Sports softs in-game still have a tread like a real life semi slick).

So, in real life, you could dump the clutch and plant the throttle in this car, granted it would spin the wheels and bounce off the limiter maybe 2 or 3 times, it’d be totally hunkering down, ferociously gaining speed, forcing you back in your seat kind of thing. You’d have to be nearly ready to shift to 2nd gear before you could think.

In GT Sport if you do the same, once the wheels start spinning, the rate at which the car gains forward acceleration/velocity/momentum(?) seems too low or seems to fall off too much compared to non-wheelspinning acceleration (like if you activate TCS 1 or higher for instance). Itll be bouncing off the rev limiter for ages before it’s built up enough speed to shift to 2nd gear.

Anyway that’s my story, not exactly a scientific test by any means, but yeah.

Anybody remember the power and weight of the KTM on willow springs during the last Season 2 - Round 6 ???
The car was really on the edge during the long right turn 2 with sport hard , i do remember very well the behaviors of this car during this event and it would be a very good test to check the grip and physics difference.

Why should TC be banned in sport races when it is used in real motor sport series? It is the same like ABS just the other way.

That’s a fair enough argument. My opinion is that less aids is better for the racing. I mean I finished top 60 on a ds4 without TC so is it really necessary anyways. I wonder if anyone who finished ahead of me used TC at all. I switched from TC 1 to TC 0 back in GT5 and got faster immediately. I would recommend not using it if you want to be fast honestly.

I’m happy with the improvements that are there, a step in the right direction in some ways, but I think the low speed and particularly physics during acceleration while wheelspinning from a standstill is still quite a way off realistic.

The test I’ve used in-game is a 300hp FC Rx7 with Sports Soft tyres (as I’ve both driven and ridden as a passenger in one a bunch of times in real life with this amount of power and that had Yokohama AD08R semi-slick tyres, which I’m making the assumption here that “Sports Soft” within GT is aiming to replicate such semi slicks; as you can see in replays that when you select Racing Hard or grippier, they’re a slick tyre. Sports softs in-game still have a tread like a real life semi slick).

So, in real life, you could dump the clutch and plant the throttle in this car, granted it would spin the wheels and bounce off the limiter maybe 2 or 3 times, it’d be totally hunkering down, ferociously gaining speed, forcing you back in your seat kind of thing. You’d have to be nearly ready to shift to 2nd gear before you could think.

In GT Sport if you do the same, once the wheels start spinning, the rate at which the car gains forward acceleration/velocity/momentum(?) seems too low or seems to fall off too much compared to non-wheelspinning acceleration (like if you activate TCS 1 or higher for instance). Itll be bouncing off the rev limiter for ages before it’s built up enough speed to shift to 2nd gear.

Anyway that’s my story, not exactly a scientific test by any means, but yeah.
This is exactly what I always felt like. In reality when you do the thing you described it’s like you can feel how the tire chews into the asphalt and how it’s almost painful to do it, while you feel how the car is gaining speed. In the game (until now as I haven’t played the latest patch) it feels like it’s spinning on ice or a really wet low-quality asphalt.

Shame to find out that it still doesn’t feel right...

OK, first lap of the Nordschleife and I smash my previous record in the 911 GT3 RS by over 4 seconds without even trying and after 4 beers at the local.

Here's a quick screenshot.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180730195406.jpg

Now I don't profess to be a fast driver, but that 2nd place 7:28 was a hard fought battle with the car teetering on the edge all of the time. The 7:24 that I just pulled was Sunday driving by comparison.

So, I'm not really sure about this new tire model. It doesn't seem as much fun, so the jury is still out with me.

For full disclosure the car has been adjusted via quick tune to approximate the the 2019 911 GT3 - the one that broke the 7:00 minute mark at the 'Ring recently - so that means Power 105%, weight 99% and I'm running SS tires all round

Why are you using tires that have some tread instead of racing slicks? It's a race car and that's what it uses, just like the power/weight specs you so want to replicate. :)

OK, first lap of the Nordschleife and I smash my previous record in the 911 GT3 RS by over 4 seconds without even trying and after 4 beers at the local.

Here's a quick screenshot.

View attachment 755355

Now I don't profess to be a fast driver, but that 2nd place 7:28 was a hard fought battle with the car teetering on the edge all of the time. The 7:24 that I just pulled was Sunday driving by comparison.

So, I'm not really sure about this new tire model. It doesn't seem as much fun, so the jury is still out with me.

For full disclosure the car has been adjusted via quick tune to approximate the the 2019 911 GT3 - the one that broke the 7:00 minute mark at the 'Ring recently - so that means Power 105%, weight 99% and I'm running SS tires all round
It’s still about half a minute slower lap time than the GT2.

Why are you using tires that have some tread instead of racing slicks? It's a race car and that's what it uses, just like the power/weight specs you so want to replicate. :)

They aren’t race cars. Neither 911 RS GT3 nor GT2.

Well the sub 7 minute time for the 911 GT3 RS was set on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R which are road legal semi slicks, hence my desire to use sports tires. You can see the original GTPlanet report here - https://www.gtplanet.net/new-porsche-911-gt3-rs-breaks-under-seven-minutes-around-the-ring/

It’s still about half a minute slower lap time than the GT2.

Never said I was fast ;)

Done some laps on Suzuka with Citroën gr4. Car is a little bit less grippy but still very fun to drive.

My lap is a 08.2. Think i can hit 08.0 with her. Before the nerf and tyre model change, i had a 06.8 optimal and 07.1 fastest lap in time trial.

Anyone knows if it's possible to erase car records on time trials? With the new model its gonna be impossible to beat these now.

I'm pretty sure by highlighting the time and pressing triangle.

I meant the car records when you're hot lapping on sport mode time trials. The optimal time for the car youre driving that its showed when you press down with the dpad with the sectors times scoreboard.

I meant the car records when you're hot lapping on sport mode time trials. The optimal time for the car youre driving that its showed when you press down with the dpad with the sectors times scoreboard.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Not sure about that.

The optimal time is made from the times of the current session, not from all sessions, you don’t need to do that.

I was only able to feel out the new model for ten minutes this morning. I took out both Group Jags at familiar combos with wear and fuel on and so far:

- Definitely off my prior optimals by around two seconds which is I believe was the number thrown out there by those that went to Finals in Germany. That'll close back with practice but I'm all but certain I can delete all prior best laps saved.

- Braking feels better with less lockup issues.

- Initial turn in has improved. Previously, Jags were awful in sense of corner rotation.

- Smashing the gas on exit is less viable. Not so much due to control than not having as much grip available to plant all the power and rocket off the exit.

- Certain corners, I would push in super deep and then the car would suddenly grip and turn. I was having more trouble doing that in my brief run.

- Possible increase in front tire wear. My runs weren't long enough to confirm.

Now I could finally test it!

Firstival: one question to the experienced bop testers, maybe @Tidgney, is the performance between time trial and qualification (sport mode daylies) the same?

I managed yesterday in mount panorama with Mustang Gr.3 a 2.03.220, a 2.02.9xx was interrupted 20 meters before the line because the race lobby was about to start. I could always repeat a middle 2.03.

But today in time trial I could make "only" a 2.04.116. I could go below 2.04. with more effort, but I don't think I can beat yesterdays time.

Somebody used the word longitunal grip, I can confirm this is the same as before, means the braking points are the same. The "cross"- grip is less meaning the apex/corner speeds are lower. BUT you have less sudden force effects like oversteer in acceleration or snap oversteer during braking.

Good detecting points for oversteer and snap oversteer are the chicane- combinations on the mountain.

Because of -from my point of view- increased stability, I'm very fine with the new model

I'm a wheel user, btw

Latest Posts

Back