The WTC 600 in Tokyo done without exploits is genuinely one of the hardest races in single player in gt7 - share your setups, tips, and cars

• Thread starter The_It_Jojo
  • 2,463 comments
It's... less than ideal, tbf you only really suffer in first gear and after that it's bad but manageable, do you know anyway around its turbolag? I'm a bad tuner as I've said before and I'm sure I'm missing something lol.
Anti Lag System Strong, try how much that helps already.
Otherwise, gear ratio adjustments.

I forgot to post this silly test I did last weekend. I had this feeling that I could win this race without changing tires using Sports Soft with the Porsche GT4. Tire wear with this car is not a problem, so with a little bit of patience and driving a bit slower than usual, this is the result:
Gran Turismo® 7_20230519155407.png

As you can see, I could probably do 8 more laps without worrying about the tires, maybe even more using wet patches.

If you're wondering why it was such a close race, that's because after lap 7 I decided to not do a pistop to refuel the car, which clearly wasn't a good decision because my lap times got even slower since I had to use Fuel Map. Thankfully it was just enough as I ran out of fuel literally on the finish line!

Gran Turismo® 7_20230519155256.png

This car is too good. I think that even if I had to do 1 pitstop to refuel, I'd still win.

edit: fixed broken links :P

Last edited:
GAC Maverick
26:57.268 Race Time
2:08.679 Fastest Lap

20230525_232623.jpg

I'm really surprised how manageable the power is on this car. I have hardly any mods done to it but some should run contrary to each other when it comes to overall control over the car, ie. added High Range Turbo, reduced to Sport Hard tires. Anyway, it was a real calm drive in this Maverick. It does have a tendency to plow just a bit on initial turn in (stock suspension) so a "slow in, fast out" approach suits this car well, espcially on those first 5 or 6 laps when the track is still a bit wet. It has really nice brakes so I kept them 100% stock. Great top end on the straight (over 200 mph) with the stock transmission. This was the first car I've driven in a long time where I started the race only once and made it all the way through and got a CRB. I've been having such terrible luck with the AI lately that I've needed to restart, and restart, and restart because they drive like morons, but in this race they all drove normally and the Maverick easily slipped by them.

Last edited:
Finally got around to trying this race today, absolutely rinsed it with my VRH35Z-R92CP swapped R34 GTR on sports hards, power dialled all the way down, didn't even come close to needing fuel or tyres.
What sort of times for laps? Didn't get time to try that yesterday!

It's... less than ideal, tbf you only really suffer in first gear and after that it's bad but manageable, do you know anyway around its turbolag? I'm a bad tuner as I've said before and I'm sure I'm missing something lol.
If i remember rightly doesnt the Escudo suffer with lag anyway?When ive used it on Toky, once im past the pack and ease off a little, the amount of times ive`pottered`around corners in the wrong gear and off boost and thought`whats going on`. :lol:
Its a fair while since I used the Escudo but am looking forward to the engine swap in the GTO,it was one of my early cars to use on Tokyo.

What sort of times for laps? Didn't get time to try that yesterday!
This swap was the first one I tried. No stop and it's easy money. I'm going to try setting it up with less weight reduction and medium tyres, will see if it works over the weekend.

Attachments

• 001.jpeg
    001.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
I Also did the Mazda 3 rotary swap. I Already have the setup complete. It will also do the race without stopping and maybe even quicker lap times.

This swap was the first one I tried. No stop and it's easy money. I'm going to try setting it up with less weight reduction and medium tyres, will see if it works over the weekend.
Sweet I'll give your tune a go, looks good. Nice times! You could probably do no weight reduction and crank the power up, engine should be efficient enough to still no stop.

There is some glitchiness in the Mazda 3 swap for PP. Might have potential for serious credit grinding. Can't do full testing until after the weekend though.

The R92 swapped R33 GT-R with every part thrown at it also curb-stomps this event.

- No stop on Sports Hards. ~195 mph / 313 kph down the main straight.
  • Flying laps for me were in the 2:07s ~ 2:08s.
  • More than enough fuel and tires to go nearly twice the race distance.
  • Mind the 5-speed gearbox though.

Also note that with the stock AWD system the R33 eats its front tires. The PP system clearly knows about this: when I switched to the Torque Vectoring Differential, it added 6pp. However that solved my tire wear issues.

R33 Dominance - Beauty Shot.jpg

RESULTS:
Best Time:
25:59.784
Fastest Lap: 2:07.358

R33 Dominance - Results.jpg

COBBLED TOGETHER SETTINGS

R33 Dominance - Settings 1.jpg

R33 Dominance - Settings 2.jpg

R33 Dominance -  Questionable Gearing.jpg

- edited for typos

Last edited:
Had some of my first fun with a swapped engine car with the Suzuki Cappuccino and the swapped RX7 engine.

This car flies!!

Weird race strategy - started the race on IMs but thanks to the recent update where PD completely overcorrected their fix for the IM tire wear, the rear tires melted after 2 laps. So laps 1 and 2 on IM, pit stop and RH for the remainder. That's just enough fuel to finish the race. Had to be very careful with the RH, on lap 3 especially, to stay on the drying out part of the track.

Race time: 25:12.xxx (with some mistakes)
Fastest lap : 1:59.2xx (a few sub-2:00 laps)

I didn't get a screen cap, but I'm going to try again to get under 25:00 and I'll post the result

Fun stuff! Looking forward to trying other combos

There is so much cool stuff to play with in Tokyo now, I'm conflicted in what to try first. Most likely the swapped Mazda 3 that I have a rough tune ready, but then there's the R34 swap, the NSX swap, the M3 Suzuki swap... In fact, that Beat K20 is intriguing as well, and I really want to do a non-widebody Focus RS to go with my trusty widebodied one. Oh, and the GReddy Super Silhouette... And maybe even see if the GTO Escudo can be solved with tuning. Not since the very first days of GT7 have I had so much on my plate.

K-Swapped Honda Beat - 399.33pp
26:49.466 race time
2:11.040 fastest lap

Not a bad drive. A bit slow through the bends as it's a really narrow car and it will slide around on you if you aren't careful. But, despite its tiny size it really handles it's 430hp really well. Much better than other engine swaps I've done. I'm sure if I put racing tires on it the car would be much faster but I stuck with Sport Hards so I didn't have to pit and didn't have to worry about traction in the wet. Easy CRB with this car.

Edit: I realize engine swaps were prohibited in our lowest pp challenge, but I'm really surprised they can say this car is only 399pp. It should be much more than that.

Last edited:
Got some coffee in me this morning and then went out to the track for some Cappuccino.

Pretty happy with this result, even got the CRB! :)

Race Time: 24:48.663
Best Lap: 1:58.527

For anyone that's interested, I used @praiano63 's tune here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/praianos-tunes-settings-for-gt7.404868/post-13859541

Do we consider this a glitch tune? It only comes out to 544pp even with the swapped engine, yet it's amazingly fast.

View attachment 1260151
Try it in the WTC700 Le Mans.
It is disgustingly fast.
You can get 1st place by end of lap 1 on FM6

Tried another engine swap car:

BMW M3 '89 with the Suzuki Gr.3 V8
26:48.834 Race Time
2:08.862 Fastest Lap

20230527_205144.jpg

This was another enjoyable engine swap. Either PD made some adjustments to how these cars handle their new engines or some engine swaps are just meant to turn the cars in to ballistic missles with no way of controlling them. Anyway, this is a good swap. I really don't know if this would be faster in this race than a fully decked out version of this car with its original engine, but with the swap you hit 195 on the straight and have some good handling once you do all the weight reduction, body stiffening and play with the suspension. Surprisingly, it doesn't have a ton of acceleration. There's no real easy way to just punch it out of a corner and pass the AI. You have to wait a bit for the car to build up speed.

I think it's a worth while swap. Considering there is an "evo" version of this exact same car, I have no hesitations swapping this one and tuning the other's stock engine.

Tried another engine swap car:

BMW M3 '89 with the Suzuki Gr.3 V8
26:48.834 Race Time
2:08.862 Fastest Lap

View attachment 1260260

This was another enjoyable engine swap. Either PD made some adjustments to how these cars handle their new engines or some engine swaps are just meant to turn the cars in to ballistic missles with no way of controlling them. Anyway, this is a good swap. I really don't know if this would be faster in this race than a fully decked out version of this car with its original engine, but with the swap you hit 195 on the straight and have some good handling once you do all the weight reduction, body stiffening and play with the suspension. Surprisingly, it doesn't have a ton of acceleration. There's no real easy way to just punch it out of a corner and pass the AI. You have to wait a bit for the car to build up speed.

I think it's a worth while swap. Considering there is an "evo" version of this exact same car, I have no hesitations swapping this one and tuning the other's stock engine.
That sounds like a fun one. May have to try it out. Did you tune it or are you basically running it stock?

That sounds like a fun one. May have to try it out. Did you tune it or are you basically running it stock?
As I recall, there weren't too many things you could do to the engine once the swap was done. I'm sure you could get a bigger turbo but I didn't. The car may be faster with the big turbo and then tuned down to get the right pp levels. I'm just tinkering at this point making swaps and putting together quick tunings for them. Here is tune:

Wide body, wide/wide 17" wheels, A/A/Standard/low wing for aero. No custom transmission tuning, just the quick adjustment to 200.

20230527_221645.jpg
20230527_221718.jpg

Last edited:
As I recall, there weren't too many things you could do to the engine once the swap was done. I'm sure you could get a bigger turbo but I didn't. The car may be faster with the big turbo and then tuned down to get the right pp levels. I'm just tinkering at this point making swaps and putting together quick tunings for them. Here is tune:

Wide body, wide/wide 17" wheels, A/A/Standard/low wing for aero. No custom transmission tuning, just the quick adjustment to 200.

View attachment 1260275View attachment 1260276
Thank you for sharing

Regards
M

Okay, so the initial Mazda 3 swap impressions aren't as good as I had hoped for. It is kinda hard on the tyres. I got it balanced out so the tyre wear is equal F/R but they still get eaten to the last bit. The second full run got me a 26:06 which isn't bad but it's far enough from my Focus RS swap times that I'm not sure I can get it to the same level. Which is a shame since I like the Mazda's looks, ergonomics (VR) and of course the engine sounds better.

The positive surprise was GReddy Fugu Z swap. It's actually very stable and super fast for both acceleration and top speed. Just lacking the precision for cornering with my rough tune. Second run got me a 26:14 which isn't even as fast as Mazda but somehow more fun. Might have potential for sub-26 runs.

All runs with these race car engine swaps are and will be no stoppers, on sports hards on most occassions.

Tomorrow R34, M3 and NSX.

Okay, so the initial Mazda 3 swap impressions aren't as good as I had hoped for. It is kinda hard on the tyres. I got it balanced out so the tyre wear is equal F/R but they still get eaten to the last bit. The second full run got me a 26:06 which isn't bad but it's far enough from my Focus RS swap times that I'm not sure I can get it to the same level. Which is a shame since I like the Mazda's looks, ergonomics (VR) and of course the engine sounds better.

The positive surprise was GReddy Fugu Z swap. It's actually very stable and super fast for both acceleration and top speed. Just lacking the precision for cornering with my rough tune. Second run got me a 26:14 which isn't even as fast as Mazda but somehow more fun. Might have potential for sub-26 runs.

All runs with these race car engine swaps are and will be no stoppers, on sports hards on most occassions.

Tomorrow R34, M3 and NSX.
Hmm, I just got an engine swap ticket that can go into the Fugu but I'm going to hold off until after this current TT that has the Fugu in it.

Swapped GTO can do 2.09 laps hot lapping mid 2.08 no stop. Fm3, will end race with a little fuel left. SH will last the whole race but the front will get worn faster so some care. Really fun car to drive though.
Take praiano's tune, slap the minimum ballast on the rear to get to the same weight distribution. Normal turbo (worse turbo lag with high rpm but faster on the straight). Swap the racing trans for a full custom manual. Full aero on the back. Drop power restrictor to 70, bring ecu up to max under 600pp. Put a few points in front aero to even out to 600.

The swapped Mazda 3 eats up the front tyres at a scary pace. I Tried a tune with SH on the front and SM on the back.
That worked the best so far. I Got a nice slip stream on lap 11 which helped get a 2:06 fastest lap. It's crucial to get a very good first lap and clear as much traffic as possible. I Was in the lead on the second lap and had a clear track up to lap 10. The first couple of back markers are spread out far so it's easy to clear them. Easy win with CRB. Credit to @praiano63 . The suspension and diff settings are from his tune and the rest is my own.

Attachments

• maz6.jpg
    maz6.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 17
  • maz5.jpg
    maz5.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 17
  • maz4.jpg
    maz4.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 17
  • maz3.jpg
    maz3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 20
  • maz2.jpg
    maz2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 19
  • maz1.jpeg
    maz1.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
So I did more adjustments for the K-swapped Beat and this time I used the IM -> RH tire strategy.

18866e9ca8575-screenshotUrl.jpg

18866ea3e8643-screenshotUrl.jpg

18866ea5b322-screenshotUrl.jpg

18866ea736e30-screenshotUrl.jpg

18866ea8bd0100-screenshotUrl.jpg

IM tires on first two laps, then switch to RH. The risk of losing CRB on overtaking opponents after the pit is higher. Hence, I personally won't recommend this given that the tire wear in the race has gotten insane.

I would still stick to the Sports Soft tires.

Back