The WTC 600 in Tokyo done without exploits is genuinely one of the hardest races in single player in gt7 - share your setups, tips, and cars

• Thread starter The_It_Jojo
  • 2,445 comments
The time will be worsened.
It’s my currrent strategy(RS Tyres), time ~ 25:50 ~26.0x ..

IR
Yeah, but my lap times would be more consistent rather than sudden jumps in times. SS tires are good on the beginning parts of the race while keeping its grip compared to the IM tires that lasted for two laps only.

I also did 25-minute range on SS too:

188675b9f2b80-screenshotUrl.jpg

Also, that run was done when the Beat wasn't even fully modified. I was trying to keep a balanced setup.

Tamed the K-swapped Fiat Abarth:

20230529_123250.jpg

It's incredibly fast on the straight but it's narrow width and short wheelbase make it a white knuckle drive through turns 3-6. It's actually really slow through these turns as it flips between having grip and sliding. The car basically bounces and shakes its whole way through them. I tried adjusting the suspension damping thinking it was having difficulty with the weight transfer but no specific settings would get this car to calm down. Basically you just have to agree to go slow through these turns and really easy on your brake amd throttle inputs to not upset the car too much.

It does eat through tires as well. I had to pit twice for tires and needed a few laps of fuel on the second pit. I ran somewhere in the low 27 minute mark with the car and a fastest lap in the low 2:10's. Nothing to write home about. Due to it's crazy nature I'm not going to even post the tune because there are so many better and enjoyable cars to run this race with than the Abarth. I just wanted to see if it was possible.

I've been messing with a set-up for the Mazda3 with the R26B swap. It mulches its front tires a bit... I can manage a 7 lap stint with aggressive use of the wet parts of the track on full send. However, you never need to stop for fuel! It also gets to 197 MPH / 317 KPH effortlessly on the straights.

Think it's around a 26-27 min run? Lap times are 2:15 to 2:13.

:cheers:

18868a0ef1e5-screenshotUrl.jpg
18868a1061a94-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
I revisited the K20 Honda Beat. It's the fastest car I've driven in this event. Tire wear is terrible, as others have mentioned, but the car takes max power much better than I expected.

Best Time: 24:24.365
Fastest Lap: 1:55.540

Max power and ultimate upgrades
NO wall riding

Strategy:
  • 1 Stop on Racing Hard Tires only
  • Pit at the end of lap 7 for new tires and fuel
  • Stay on the dry line and don't push until around lap 4

Yeah, but my lap times would be more consistent rather than sudden jumps in times. SS tires are good on the beginning parts of the race while keeping its grip compared to the IM tires that lasted for two laps only.
I arrived at a similar conclusion. As much as I like the softer compounds, my lack of consistency with this build + lapped traffic + my learning the limits of the car, I wasn't fast enough to make up the time spent on multiple pit stops. That's also why I chose to suffer on racing tires in the wet. The Beat is way faster on Intermediate Tires on lap 1, but the extra pit stop and driving on worn tires half way through lap 2 + having to pass the leaders again made that strategy too frustrating for me.

Sports Softs are the much less frustrating strategy though. More time efficient for grinding because fewer restarts are needed, and lower risk of losing the CRB. My tune wasn't taking full advantage of the tires though. Also, I like the feel of racing tires near the end of the event.

Honda Beat beats the Competition.jpg

:Edited for typos

Last edited:
I suppose I'm lucky to get my swapped Mazda 3 to eat all the tires equally :D

Screenshot_2023-05-29-22-20-13-86_fff335ca613a5f557fcea787596aedca.jpg

That is an issue with the car though. I want to love it, but it has a weakness for Tokyo that many other don't have. I might do one more tune for it making it as light as possible, but I don't think it's ever going to be the 25:30ish no stopper that is my benchmark. Sub 26 yes, rather easily.

NSX swap is out for me, for similar reasons. I just can't make it keep the rear tires in order. It's actually worse than the Mazda, requires very conservative driving already from lap 8 onwards. The BMW M3 Suzuki swap has potential because one can tune it for crazy good power/weight ratio, but with full power it too eats up rear tyres quickly.

My surprising favourite right now is the Alfa 4C Gr.3 Road car with the Suzuki swap. It has actual potential for at least 25:40 run time, seems capable of being both nimble and stable, has good ergonomics for VR and is actually kinda fun as a concept, having something in common with the Suzuki VGT donor so works for me on a philosophical level too! Tuning still ongoing, will post at some point.

1886901b6b43-screenshotUrl.jpg

Okay, so the initial Mazda 3 swap impressions aren't as good as I had hoped for. It is kinda hard on the tyres. I got it balanced out so the tyre wear is equal F/R but they still get eaten to the last bit. The second full run got me a 26:06 which isn't bad but it's far enough from my Focus RS swap times that I'm not sure I can get it to the same level. Which is a shame since I like the Mazda's looks, ergonomics (VR) and of course the engine sounds better.

The positive surprise was GReddy Fugu Z swap. It's actually very stable and super fast for both acceleration and top speed. Just lacking the precision for cornering with my rough tune. Second run got me a 26:14 which isn't even as fast as Mazda but somehow more fun. Might have potential for sub-26 runs.

All runs with these race car engine swaps are and will be no stoppers, on sports hards on most occassions.

Tomorrow R34, M3 and NSX.
Could you provide the tune for the swapped Focus?
Would be great!

Thanks and regards
M

Even faster time.View attachment 1247383View attachment 1247384CRB

Here is a gif I dont fear the AI or worry about losing the CRB I will pass them on any corner.

I tried the DP-100 tonight because it had been a while. I felt like I was pushing to my limits and the best I could muster was a 25:41 race time with a fastest lap of 2:05.271. I really have no clue how you managed to go 3 seconds faster per lap around the same track let alone 30 seconds faster for a 12 lap race. You averaged almost 3 seconds per lap faster than me and I feel like I'm on the edge of control hoping that I can stay full throttle around the turns without drifting too wide into a barrier on the exit.

25:10 is like alien speed vs my 25:41. :bowdown:

Could you provide the tune for the swapped Focus?
Would be great!

Thanks and regards
M

I'm working on a new non-widebody tune right now, so this is not final but it's already a sub-26 min tune and not too squirmy either. The obvious shortcoming as it is are the stock brakes, could trade some power for stopping power. Going to try tuning brake balance first though, maybe -2.

1886b72fdeb4-screenshotUrl.jpg
1886b7316d958-screenshotUrl.jpg

I'm working on a new non-widebody tune right now, so this is not final but it's already a sub-26 min tune and not too squirmy either. The obvious shortcoming as it is are the stock brakes, could trade some power for stopping power. Going to try tuning brake balance first though, maybe -2.

View attachment 1260956View attachment 1260955
Thank you for your reply and for taking the screenshots.
I am already looking forward to give it a try.

Regards
M

The Stratos with all 3 Ultimate parts is a beast on this track. Was able to gain positions on the long straights. I wonder how many other cars can benefit from the new S parts…

With all my grinding in the last week I finally was able to afford the Datona Coupe. Loaded it up with everything (minus the supercharger) and swapped out the tires for Sport Mediums.

27:07.096 Race Time
2:10.271 Fastest Lap

20230530_223728.jpg

Pretty good car, especially for having almost no downforce. Not as "grip it and rip it" fast through the turns like the Stratos, but also not as slip and slide fun through the turns like the Porsche 904. It's sure of itself like a lot of these old race cars tend to be, but it wallows a bit on the weight transfer so you can experience the older suspension qwerks that you don't get in the modern cars.

So with one down, I only need to run this race 24 more times to have the car pay for itself... Such an expensive car....

18871e7524e6-screenshotUrl.jpg

So, finally got the Mazda 3 swap to under 26 minutes. The suspension and differential are pretty good now, some time to be gained by tweaking the gear ratios. It is an okay car, will get its fair share of runs just because of that engine sound. Just not as fast and easy as the Focus RS swap or my go-to 4WD Tokyo car, S1 Pikes Peak. The front tyres still are a limiting factor as the photo beneath shows (just at the finish line). With this tune, I can manage the tyres by breaking early and on a straight line, then applying throttle on turn in already and keeping the car leaning more towards the back tyres. So requires some driving style adjustments, which to me is a shortcoming of the car (or the tuning, but this is as good as I seem able to get it).

IMG_20230531_155937.jpg

18871e3422e92-screenshotUrl.jpg

18871e36ddc13-screenshotUrl.jpg

18871e38a3049-screenshotUrl.jpg

Anyone else feel like they relaxed the CRB here? I decided to grind a bit here the past couple nights to recoup my recent spending spree on S Parts and I’ve had quite a few run-ins with AI and still gotten the CRB. I also had an instance where I obliterated the AI in front of me entering the pits at 185mph and still got it. I know the CRB has always seemed inconsistent here but it really feels like it’s a bit harder to lose now. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky?

Anyone else feel like they relaxed the CRB here? I decided to grind a bit here the past couple nights to recoup my recent spending spree on S Parts and I’ve had quite a few run-ins with AI and still gotten the CRB. I also had an instance where I obliterated the AI in front of me entering the pits at 185mph and still got it. I know the CRB has always seemed inconsistent here but it really feels like it’s a bit harder to lose now. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky?
I have noticed that I’ve hit other cars and still got the CRB lately but there was just one time I had no clue why I lost it, so I’m not totally sure.

I have noticed that I’ve hit other cars and still got the CRB lately but there was just one time I had no clue why I lost it, so I’m not totally sure.
Happen to me today I know I didn't hit no ai cars or cross the white line in the last hairpin and I didn't get the CRB so I got mad and did the race 10 times in a roll all with CRB.

Happen to me today I know I didn't hit no ai cars or cross the white line in the last hairpin and I didn't get the CRB so I got mad and did the race 10 times in a roll all with CRB.
I had the same happen to me on Friday. No ill mannered behavior and no CRB, and I am more than a little familiar with this race, must have raced 1,000 times in last 12 months.

Last edited:
If it's just a light tap to the side of the car it doesnt seem to effect the CRB, so long as you weren't the one hitting the AI. I've had the AI bump me sometimes in the hair pin or in to turn 1 and I've still got the CRB.

I'm not sure why some here are having issues getting the CRB if they are driving safely. It's usually just the hitting of AI and crossing the white lines at the hairpin (basically ignoring the track limits) that causes you to lose the CRB. If you aren't doing that you should still get it.

The other night I went into the back of a car (that I was lapping) hard enough to make my front bumper go red, and still got the CRB.

I wondered at the time if it was because I then went on to overtake the car and finish the race while he still had a lap to go?

I keep trying this event, i must be rubbish to you guys, im only getting around 10th if that, never have any grip etc or the tyres are done after a lap or 2......ive got the honda beat maxed out aswell...

I keep trying this event, i must be rubbish to you guys, im only getting around 10th if that, never have any grip etc or the tyres are done after a lap or 2......ive got the honda beat maxed out aswell...
I couldn’t pull off a win without using the swapped Cappuccino until I got VR which made finding lines much easier but I often still struggle on Easy and I still can’t manage a CRB consistently. I wouldn’t recommend using racing tires anymore since the intermediates wear off so quickly and it’s too wet for slicks in the beginning. Sport tires are good enough for a win. I also don’t wall ride but a lot of people do and it can certainly make some of the more difficult corners much easier.

The regular drivers in this thread have done this race A LOT making all sorts of builds work and seeing how fast they can go. You're bound to see some wild stuff in here. Several pages back, we were trying to find out what was the lowest PP we could win this race with. The record was around 524PP :crazy:

Builds running racing tires for this race were severely handicapped several updates ago. Intermediates wear down VERY quickly as you've experienced. Meanwhile Racing Hards, Mediums and Softs are all subject to major grip loss when you drive over wet parts of track (not just the puddles). If you don't want to use Intermediates, you must approach this race the way you would License S-10 in the Porsche 917.

You must stay on the "dry" racing line. Falling off the dry line is like having your grip turned off. The first 4 laps of this race are miserable - you will have to under-drive the car - but the dry line gets wider and easier to see as the track dries out.

A 1-stop in a fully tuned K20 swapped Honda Beat is possible on Racing Hards, but that strategy can be... frustrating, especially with this car being quick and twitchy. Fun times if you're a determined masochist though :sly:

Sports Softs are a viable alternative in the meantime as you learn where the dry line is and how to get the most grip from it.

I couldn’t pull off a win without using the swapped Cappuccino until I got VR which made finding lines much easier but I often still struggle on Easy and I still can’t manage a CRB consistently. I wouldn’t recommend using racing tires anymore since the intermediates wear off so quickly and it’s too wet for slicks in the beginning. Sport tires are good enough for a win. I also don’t wall ride but a lot of people do and it can certainly make some of the more difficult corners much easier.
Running the swapped Cupaccino you can get 2 laps out of IM's, pit for RM, end of lap 2 and again end of lap 8 and still run a 25 minute race time. I have been 24.30 so far with this strategy. The 25x tire wear did slow race times though, I was running 24.0x before the change to 25x tire wear, still trying strategies to get me that fast again.

Here is my tutorial video on how to race this race. It's actually super simple. You dont have to use the Celica, there are plenty of examples of other cars to use in this thread, but the strategy and racing lines are all the same between the cars.

Back