The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
I'm looking forward to Soul Calibur. It has easily been one of my favorite fighters ever since I've encountered it on Dreamcast.

The older X1 controllers were not as ergonomic as the 360 controllers. However, these brand new X1 controllers are WAY better than the older X1 controllers. The LB and RB are absolutely miles ahead of the old X1 LB and RB buttons. You touch the LB or RB buttons anywhere and they push in very easily. The older LB and RB worked on a hinge system. The new LB and RB can be pushed anywhere with ease and just work so much better. If any of you get a chance, I highly recommend upgrading to the new X1 controllers. Much better. They also auto update, and have a 3mm hole for other headsets. Just a huge improvement.

Oh yeah? That's sweet! How much can I grab it for? *I know..being lazy*

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controllers

They range from $59.99 (regular black) to $149.99 (elite fully programmable). Quite a few to choose from.

I have 1 regular black controller (free with new X1) and 1 silver / blue Halo 5 "Locke" controller ($40.00 cyber Monday).
I have the same two controllers. I heard those elite controllers are really neat once you get used to them. I like the newer controllers because you can plug headphones right into them, you don't need that silly headset adapter. I got my halo controller for 10 dollars when I bought my console. GameStop had a deal where you got a free game and a free extra controller with any bundle. They were out of regular controllers so I got the halo one super cheap :)

Hey GTP, Just got my Xbone for christmas yesterday (forza 6 & horizon 2 are awesome BTW). I have very slow internet though, 1.5mbps (all thats available in my neighborhood); and the 3-10 gb updates are killing me! Is there a way to update them via usb? I have a laptop i can take to faster internet if its possible. I can lug the xbone there but I'd rather not... thanks!

Got this yesterday and quite like it. Two (related) things I don't like is that recording stuff is not as easy as on the PS4 and I really don't like that you need Gold just to upload videos made in Upload Studio, but the studio does have some VERY nice templates, intros and outros that are a bit better than those on PS4's Share Factory.

Got this yesterday and quite like it. Two (related) things I don't like is that recording stuff is not as easy as on the PS4 and I really don't like that you need Gold just to upload videos made in Upload Studio, but the studio does have some VERY nice templates, intros and outros that are a bit better than those on PS4's Share Factory.
What part is not as easy as the PS4 when it comes to recording? All you have to do is double tap the guide button then hit X to record the previous 30 seconds. Or hit Y to take a screenshot. Or you can also go through the game DVR to record up to 5 minutes prior to hitting the button, or 5 minutes after hitting the button. Then you can share it to your activity feed or send it to any friend you want via private message.

If you have a Kinect its insanely easy. "Xbox record that". Or "Xbox take a screenshot" .

One thing I will agree with is that the new way they set up the UPload studio is more difficult to work with than it was before the NXOE.

Does anyone use Turtle Beach XO one headset? I like them, they sound good, but sometimes when my controller dies, when I switch controllers or turn a controller back on, I don't get any sound. My controllers are all up to date, I can't figure out why it happens. I usually have to unplug the headset adapter and plug it back in, and it's fine. Sometimes that doesn't work either. Most of the times it's just fine, was wondering if anyone has had this issue.

Having an issue with screenshots uploading. I took about 8 of them a few hours ago and they should all be on Xboxclips.com by now but none of them appear (all my previous screenshots are there). I've tried everything but there isn't even an option to save them in Game DVR, yet I can save older screenshots. And I can't take any more because now Game DVR refuses to start up properly.

Having an issue with screenshots uploading. I took about 8 of them a few hours ago and they should all be on Xboxclips.com by now but none of them appear (all my previous screenshots are there). I've tried everything but there isn't even an option to save them in Game DVR, yet I can save older screenshots. And I can't take any more because now Game DVR refuses to start up properly.
Interesting! Did you change any settings recently?

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/capture-screenshots

I had this issue before but mine was because my console wasn't set to home console?

Update on the recording/screenshot issue: I can now open Game DVR again but it won't even let me take any screenshots or record anything. Nothing comes up when double tapping the home button and this is what happens when I try to record through Game DVR:

Timer doesn't move at all and pressing A does nothing. When I hit cancel it then said "This could not be recorded" and gave me some big error code.

Update on the recording/screenshot issue: I can now open Game DVR again but it won't even let me take any screenshots or record anything. Nothing comes up when double tapping the home button and this is what happens when I try to record through Game DVR:

Timer doesn't move at all and pressing A does nothing. When I hit cancel it then said "This could not be recorded" and gave me some big error code.

Contact Microsoft support. Just google xb1 support or Microsoft support. I don't know how it is across the pond, but here stateside you can do a live text chat with them on one of those websites. If not you can call them and someone will help. I had dealt with them when I first got my xb1 about getting my account off of my 360 and they were extremely helpful, and will walk you through steps to try to fix the issue.

I did both the text chat and called them, the text chat was nice, but talking to someone on the phone was faster and accomplished a lot more in a shorter period of time.

Last edited:
I only started playing it today on my 360, but I've just discovered the Witcher 2 is being arranged for BC, so I'll think I'll wait to capture screenshots as I play. The small opening sequence I played looked very good for a 360 game.

VXR
I only started playing it today on my 360, but I've just discovered the Witcher 2 is being arranged for BC, so I'll think I'll wait to capture screenshots as I play. The small opening sequence I played looked very good for a 360 game.
It's a great game and very beautiful. The witcher 3 was great too, I actually liked the second one a bit better.

So looks like they might release more higher performing consoles: Link

I wonder if they will make a cheap Zen/Polaris APU that is a bit better than current console and a higher end version using same architecture that does 4K and VR. Should help bring down the costs and be able to make the console a lot smaller.

So looks like they might release more higher performing consoles: Link

I wonder if they will make a cheap Zen/Polaris APU that is a bit better than current console and a higher end version using same architecture that does 4K and VR. Should help bring down the costs and be able to make the console a lot smaller.

Xbone two probably is coming sooner than we think. But if they make it up-gradable as they say or different config will be available. It will be something like steam box only difference is it will be Win10 box instead.

I wrote a paragraph or two in the FM6 on PC thread but never posted it. Basically I think (hope) MS is going to release the nextbox as 1:1 PC architecture with a proprietary PCI:e slot. Makes sense to me for a couple of reasons.

DX12 is a lot more efficient and closer to the metal than any DX before it. I just don't think it would be wise to keep going on two separate fronts in terms of coding games,OS and features. They already have a storefront on PC with the potential to add backward compatibility all the way back to before many GTplanetiers were born.

Would save a fortune with both R&D and in house engineers even for the smallest of 'exotic' changes to even x86 hardware. Also the bulk of Intel R&D are going after the mobile market now since AMD is not catching up anytime soon so I don't expect any major advancements in CPU power on the immediate horizon. Slap a competitive full desktop CPU in the box and it will be good for a long while when coupled with a GFX expansion port.

They already have a strong foothold in the living room so this is no Steambox situation. As long as they don't **** up the message on reveal again I could see this being a very good gen for MS as I think it is safe for me to say Sony won't be going exotic (PS1,2,3) again. So while Sony will be in a stronger situation come PS5 as I assume the next PS will be based off of this one, MS had the potential to be in a supreme position right out of the gate if they go as close to PC as possible.

Potentially, my backlog would be massive before I even take it out the box. :drool:

How about this. People who want to be able to upgrade their gaming system can stick to PC's, and stop trying to completely ruin console gaming?

Best 🤬 idea ever.
This is where I am torn on this situation. Being a plug and play type of gamer first, I can see this becoming tedious....but if MS can implement it by making it easy to upgrade then I will keep an open mind. I mean, we already constantly have to do updates so we are sorta already right there with PC gaming, no?

This is where I am torn on this situation. Being a plug and play type of gamer first, I can see this becoming tedious....but if MS can implement it by making it easy to upgrade then I will keep an open mind. I mean, we already constantly have to do updates so we are sorta already right there with PC gaming, no?

The key difference is that those updates don't cost money. As soon as you make consoles upgradable, you run into the exact same problem that I have with PC's. That games sometimes don't run at all because of incompatible hardware, or simply not being able to get the most out of the game, because my hardware isn't powerful enough. And on top of that, the actual graphics difference is so pathetic compared to what you're paying. We're far beyond the time where graphics were evolving massively in the span of just two years.

I like PC gaming, and I play on my PC just as much as I do on my console. But I play on both for different reasons.

Last edited:
How about this. People who want to be able to upgrade their gaming system can stick to PC's, and stop trying to completely ruin console gaming?

Best 🤬 idea ever.

I am not saying that at all.

As soon as you make consoles upgradable, you run into the exact same problem that I have with PC's.

Obviously I'm talking about a propriety port her for a distant future upgrade. Not an open ended system. Basically an expansion slot like many a console have had in the past. MS wouldn't want an open system now would they? I'm saying they might as well just copy the architecture 1:1, not the whole open ended philosophy.

Last edited:
Which won't work. Devs will make games for the base machine since that's the one everyone has. There's a reason why consoles aren't upgradeable, not everyone, by any stretch, buy the upgrade.

Recently bought an X1 console. Can anyone tell me what the Dynamic Range Control setting is for? Does it only affect movies or games as well, since both are on Bluray?

Recently bought an X1 console. Can anyone tell me what the Dynamic Range Control setting is for? Does it only affect movies or games as well, since both are on Bluray?
I've had an X1 for two years and I didn't even know it had such a setting, nor what it is :embarrassed::lol:

I await an answer with interest, I do like a tweak occasionally

Think of it as level of detail. The bigger the dynamic range, the higher the potential level of detail. To further simplify things, the higher the dynamic range, the more nuances of any given color or sound we can get. I can't say for sure, but I'd assume the setting applies to both movies and games. The only reason to leave it off is for potential performance gains when playing games. It should always result in a better picture with more fluid changes and differences in colors.

If I'm wrong about any of this, then hopefully someone will correct me.

Which won't work. Devs will make games for the base machine since that's the one everyone has. There's a reason why consoles aren't upgradeable, not everyone, by any stretch, buy the upgrade.
What about PC game development then... games run across a wide range of PC configurations but they look and run better for those with the more powerful CPU's, GPU's, extra RAM, etc. I like hardware upgrade paths, it extends the life of my computer. Some parts of my build are from two builds ago, other parts are the latest and greatest allowing me to turn on all the eye candy and run a very large field of AI competitors (virtual racers).
If Microsoft could design an upgrade-able console that would be great. For now I mostly use my XB1 for movies, I use a computer for my racing and flight simulators.

Back