The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
What about PC game development then... games run across a wide range of PC configurations but they look and run better for those with the more powerful CPU's, GPU's, extra RAM, etc. I like hardware upgrade paths, it extends the life of my computer. Some parts of my build are from two builds ago, other parts are the latest and greatest allowing me to turn on all the eye candy and run a very large field of AI competitors (virtual racers).
If Microsoft could design an upgrade-able console that would be great. For now I mostly use my XB1 for movies, I use a computer for my racing and flight simulators.

PC's have the obvious down side of never the same machine twice. That's why PC games are not optimised. They are a never standing still target. That's what forces people to have to upgrade. You are effectively carrying out the optimisation yourself. That is the complete opposite of the main advantage of a console. Optimisation so it hits way above its weight when compared to a PC of the same specification.

Think of it as level of detail. The bigger the dynamic range, the higher the potential level of detail. To further simplify things, the higher the dynamic range, the more nuances of any given color or sound we can get. I can't say for sure, but I'd assume the setting applies to both movies and games. The only reason to leave it off is for potential performance gains when playing games. It should always result in a better picture with more fluid changes and differences in colors.

If I'm wrong about any of this, then hopefully someone will correct me.

Appreciate the input.

Sooo.... do I leave it on, off or auto? It's on auto by default. Would you also happen to know what "BD Live" does? It says to leave it on to improve Bluray performance, but I'm not sure how exactly things are affected. I'm mostly interested in how it affects games.

Thanks.

PC's have the obvious down side of never the same machine twice. That's why PC games are not optimised. They are a never standing still target. That's what forces people to have to upgrade. You are effectively carrying out the optimisation yourself. That is the complete opposite of the main advantage of a console. Optimisation so it hits way above its weight when compared to a PC of the same specification.
Consoles are definitely easier to develop for but I wouldn't say PC games aren't optimized. For example, pCARS went through a very distinct optimization cycle towards the end of development, there was a target they were trying to hit. At the beginning I was using an AMD GPU card but switched to nVidia when I realized the optimizations were more effective with the nVidia cards. Also, PC gamers aren't "forced" to upgrade. If you are happy with how your "current" game runs then no reason to upgrade. It's the advances and improvements in gaming that will causes users to upgrade their hardware. If I build a PC today to run current versions of pCARS 1.0, AC 1.0, rFactor 2, etc. my computer will continue to run those well into the future. Once the new generation of games hit, pCARS 2.0, AC 2.0, rFactor 3, etc., a hardware upgrade may be needed to run them at a high level of detail.
That gets back to "my issue" with consoles, the development stays somewhat stagnant over the life span of the hardware. If I'm happy to play GT6 or FM5 indefinitely, then there isn't a need for an PS4 or XB1. I can play FM6 on my XB1, but it would be nice if FM7 could take advantage of an upgraded XB1.

Appreciate the input.

Sooo.... do I leave it on, off or auto? It's on auto by default. Would you also happen to know what "BD Live" does? It says to leave it on to improve Bluray performance, but I'm not sure how exactly things are affected. I'm mostly interested in how it affects games.

Thanks.

I suspect that auto means it'll only be on when watching movies, as there are no negatives involved. I'd suggest only disabling full dynamic range for games that you feel are struggling to run smoothly.

as far as I'm aware, BD Live is just related to trailers. New Blu Ray movies will automatically download new trailers for you, so that they are relevant to when you're watching the movie. It's a pretty neat feature in my opinion.

I suspect that auto means it'll only be on when watching movies, as there are no negatives involved. I'd suggest only disabling full dynamic range for games that you feel are struggling to run smoothly.

as far as I'm aware, BD Live is just related to trailers. New Blu Ray movies will automatically download new trailers for you, so that they are relevant to when you're watching the movie. It's a pretty neat feature in my opinion.

Okay that helps. Again, appreciated! 👍

This may be a placebo effect but I was experimenting with the dynamic range setting yesterday - I could swear leaving it on resulted in more clarity and better range in movies. While leaving it off gave me louder and more distinct sound in Forza 6.

I could very well be imagining things. I guess the best option is to just leave it on auto. For the record, I haven't really run into any issues with games struggling to run smoothly. They all run as they should, irrespective of what the dynamic range setting is.

Consoles are definitely easier to develop for but I wouldn't say PC games aren't optimized. For example, pCARS went through a very distinct optimization cycle towards the end of development, there was a target they were trying to hit. At the beginning I was using an AMD GPU card but switched to nVidia when I realized the optimizations were more effective with the nVidia cards. Also, PC gamers aren't "forced" to upgrade. If you are happy with how your "current" game runs then no reason to upgrade. It's the advances and improvements in gaming that will causes users to upgrade their hardware. If I build a PC today to run current versions of pCARS 1.0, AC 1.0, rFactor 2, etc. my computer will continue to run those well into the future. Once the new generation of games hit, pCARS 2.0, AC 2.0, rFactor 3, etc., a hardware upgrade may be needed to run them at a high level of detail.
That gets back to "my issue" with consoles, the development stays somewhat stagnant over the life span of the hardware. If I'm happy to play GT6 or FM5 indefinitely, then there isn't a need for an PS4 or XB1. I can play FM6 on my XB1, but it would be nice if FM7 could take advantage of an upgraded XB1.

Development never stagnates over a consoles life. You only have to compare the games that come out with a console when it is launched to the ones that arrive towards the end of the consoles lifespan. It's the non moving target of Console hardware that allows that.

Upgrading a console like a PC is a total non starter. The consumer has to know that the machine they buy today will still play the games released in 3 years time otherwise there is no reason to buy one at all. Meanwhile my 5 year old PC could play games made 4-5 years ago but can't play the latest games now. That is not consumer friendly.

Development never stagnates over a consoles life. You only have to compare the games that come out with a console when it is launched to the ones that arrive towards the end of the consoles lifespan. It's the non moving target of Console hardware that allows that.

Upgrading a console like a PC is a total non starter. The consumer has to know that the machine they buy today will still play the games released in 3 years time otherwise there is no reason to buy one at all. Meanwhile my 5 year old PC could play games made 4-5 years ago but can't play the latest games now. That is not consumer friendly.

Interesting discussion here. Precisely why I prefer consoles. You pick em up; no hassles, no grinding away to optimize games. Just pop the disc, install and play. The best part - they are good to go for at least 8 years of gaming or more.

Which won't work. Devs will make games for the base machine since that's the one everyone has. There's a reason why consoles aren't upgradeable, not everyone, by any stretch, buy the upgrade.

It is like you read the word PC and **** your pants :lol:. On the consumer end it would be no different to what we have now. You do realize you are basically running a PC with slightly different architecture and unified RAM right now don't you? Barring those differences it is exactly the same as what I am proposing. The massive benefit being that MS would not have to develop for two different machines, no more ESRAM juggling just to name the main problem (but there are many hurdles). All they need to do is tweak the settings for the best possible experience on that set box and it is exactly the same user friendly operation as the consoles we have now.

Same CPU, memory, motherboard, etc. The only potential change would be graphics. Exactly what we have now only in the future certain people who felt inclined to could update the card to run a game at a higher resolution, better AA solution, higher quality textures, etc. I'm not talking hundreds or thousands of combinations here, not even dozens. I'm talking a couple, in fact quite literally two. Easily maintainable and just as plug and play as anything before it and optimized for each combination both in the future and optionally for past release depending if the developer wants to or not. Irrelevant if the devs update anyway really as it would work just exactly the same as the previous card as drivers would be handled the same as always.

There would be no change to the past games in terms of compatibility and every future release would obviously shoot for the lowest common denominator being the Original box. But also could include the latest techniques, bells and whistles accessible to the new hardware. Basically, what we have now on PC but without the hassle of either developing for lots of different combinations on the developers side and no hassle on the consumers end because the game will have already been optimized and set in stone for a plug and play, out of the box experience that end. It would be no difference to what we have now on console in that regard. None.

For example.

Say, (highly) hypothetically, MS released this box in 2018, release lots of games on it looking gorgeous at 1080p 60fps. 2-3 years down the line they release a new card which plays these games exactly the same at 4k 60fps with better textures, AA and so on. Just as, say, 4k tv's become the most common sets in homes. Now say Sony released their box around the same time with very similar specs but no way to upgrade. For a console gamer there would be two options. Wait 2-3 more years for Sony and MS to release full new hardware costing, say, £350-£500 so you can use your 2-3 year old TV the way it was meant to be. Or pay half that right there and then for glorious 4k 60fps of all your games both past and present? Past in the sense that they had a W10 PC release and already supported such features which is already the case now.

One last thing I would add about expansion port vs new console would be that, unless there is a major breakthrough, it is highly unlikely CPU's are going to make any kind of sizable leaps anytime soon. Unless it is a new exotic type of chipset with little to no infrastructure, costing thousands of pounds. But you never know of course, I just seriously doubt it and even then console manufacturers would be stupid to make the leap (PS2, PS3 dev's would vouch for that). Couple that with the fact that the vast majority of games do not even utilize the cores at all well on PC because of the vast differences between each PC. It would take 2-3 years to maximise the potential of a competitive PC CPU in a set environment a console offers. By that time graphics cards, just as they are now, will be making inroads as the ceiling has not yet been hit so to speak as with CPU's.

Once again, PC architecture in a plug and play console environment. Not the other way round as you misinterpreted.

When I build my PC's they easily can play games 3 years into the future, as long as you build it correctly. I also use my PC for many more things than gaming. I then have the option to replace parts to get even more life.
So can your PS3 or Xbox 360 play the next gen games? The new games won't run "at all" on the previous generation consoles. On the PC, your 5-6 year old computer in many cases CAN run the newest games, you just will be restricted to the levels of graphic fidelity - which may not be a desirable option. Your 5-6 year old gear should also continue to work on the PC, try running your DFGT or G27 on a PS4.
Yes, PC's being a more open platform does bring some complexity. I'm not trying to convince anyone to game on a PC over a console, it does take more knowledge and money (you get what you pay for). I chimed in as I think an upgrade-able console could be a good thing. These isn't a right or wrong answer in this discuss, just preferences.

No. There is a wrong answer. It's called an upgradeable console. If you want to upgrade buy a PC. It really is as simple as that. Then you can ask yourself what every PC owner asks at some point. Will my machine run this?

Do you honestly think console manufacturers would willingly kill the goose that lays the golden egg? Because that is what will happen the instant a console owner has to ask themselves that question.

Last edited:
I tried to download a free demo, and the green circle just keeps spinning. Nothing happens. Same thing happened when I attempted to purchase Live Gold membership and a game online.

Went into console Settings and couldn't view billing information either. Is anyone having similar issues?

Thanks.

Don't expect a more powerful Xbox One any time soon.
http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-and-half-not-likely-phil-spencer/

Wonderful news. For me at least now that Forza will be releasing on PC I don't see a why I'd want a slightly more powerful version of the console I already have.

If I really want to experience 4K I will do it properly and start gaming on my PC, as of now I don't see the point in upgrading my PC yet.

Edit:hit reply too early by mistake...

Last edited:
Wonderful news. For me at least now that Forza will be releasing on PC I don't see a why I'd want a slightly more powerful version of the console I already have.

If I really want to experience 4K I will do it properly and start gaming on my PC, as of now I don't see the point in upgrading my PC yet.

Edit:hit reply too early by mistake...

It says on the official forum that it has just 6 tracks and 60 cars? Hard to beat the X-One version I'd say. Unless they plan on making more cars/tracks available for PC. I'd say the console version is the best version.

Is a 4k resolution the only thing improved in the PC version?

It says on the official forum that it has just 6 tracks and 60 cars? Hard to beat the X-One version I'd say. Unless they plan on making more cars/tracks available for PC. I'd say the console version is the best version.

Is a 4k resolution the only thing improved in the PC version?

Apparently yes, 6 Apex is going to be tiny in comparison with FM6 but it seems like in the future they will release the same versions on both platforms and it will start with Horizon 3. Hopefully there will be other advantages with having the game on PC such as support for Oculus Rift.

Apparently yes, 6 Apex is going to be tiny in comparison with FM6 but it seems like in the future they will release the same versions on both platforms and it will start with Horizon 3. Hopefully there will be other advantages with having the game on PC such as support for Oculus Rift.

Isn't Rift support coming to XB1 as well in some form?

What they showed was laughable, it was that you got to see the game (Horizon 2 I think was shown) like in a virtual cinema so there was no 3d goodness at all. I'll see if I can find the video.

Edit: @AudiMan2011 here it is!

Appalling! Is MS even serious about competing with PS4 this generation?

What all this about Xbox NeXt :sly:

MS has denied it but I'm willing to bet that they are working on something just to cover bases incase the PS4K turns out to be real and sells well.

I'm experiencing an odd issue with my console:

I try to hard-reset it by holding down the power button on the console itself, and instead of shutting off with a click after a few seconds, it just shuts down like it normally does with the power button blinking.. however, while its shutting down, if I keep holding down the power button (I want to hard-reset), it beeps repeatedly.

I've done hard-resets before but never experienced this until now. Is the console trying to tell me something? That maybe I shouldn't hard reset by holding down the power button at all?

Well that's disappointing for existing X1 owners (me included :ouch:). If it was just a regular Xbox One with expanded storage or a slim model, I would have been okay with that.

Regardless of if you are team MS or team Sony, you have been screwed either way. Let's see if any retailers (or better yet, manufacturers) come up with a trade-in scheme.

I'd be very surprised if it was an Xbox 1.5. They're trying to claw back lost ground, not alienate everyone all over again.

VXR
I'd be very surprised if it was an Xbox 1.5. They're trying to claw back lost ground, not alienate everyone all over again.

I see, but it still begs the question: will XB-One owners be forced to abandon their current consoles or will they get some form of hardware or software update/add on? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable on consoles, so I have to ask.

I see, but it still begs the question: will XB-One owners be forced to abandon their current consoles or will they get some form of hardware or software update/add on? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable on consoles, so I have to ask.

There is no confirmed answer yet. If the Xbox 1.5 works in the same way the PS4K is rumoured to, the Xbox One will still be supported by future titles so existing owners would only need to upgrade if they want to run games at a higher resolution and a higher frame rate.

Interesting discussion here. Precisely why I prefer consoles. You pick em up; no hassles, no grinding away to optimize games. Just pop the disc, install and play. The best part - they are good to go for at least 8 years of gaming or more.
honestly now I never have any trouble with my pc. I run sli configuration since 2011 and I'm very happy with it. And my pc is faster than my xbone to start a game too thx to the ssd and ram. The only big difference is price now. You're saying it's easier on console but pc is super easy now. I buy my game on steam, it dl/install like a ps4/xbone. I start it, exit, run gf experience for the optimum setting and I'm good to play. Only thing I have to do more than on console is starting/exiting the game once so that gfexperience can do the magic.

The time when you had to fight with your pc to setup game is long gone.

honestly now I never have any trouble with my pc. I run sli configuration since 2011 and I'm very happy with it. And my pc is faster than my xbone to start a game too thx to the ssd and ram. The only big difference is price now. You're saying it's easier on console but pc is super easy now. I buy my game on steam, it dl/install like a ps4/xbone. I start it, exit, run gf experience for the optimum setting and I'm good to play. Only thing I have to do more than on console is starting/exiting the game once so that gfexperience can do the magic.

The time when you had to fight with your pc to setup game is long gone.
The only thing I have to do with a console is buy it, and turn it on. PC's are ever changing, and that was the whole point for console owners. If my console isn't working as intended, and cant play the game, that is because the developer messed up somewhere a long the line, and it doesn't fall on me. If I have a PC and I can't run a certain game because I'm not up to par, than that's on me because I choose not to get something as powerful. One main point is not having to customize anything on a console.

Consoles are still easier, not to mention cheaper, no matter how you try to downplay it.

Latest Posts

Back