The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
I bought an Xbox one seemingly the day after the new dashboard came out so I find it a little confusing. Skate 3 becoming available for backwards compatibility was what finally tipped me over, I still probably put 10 hours a week into skate.

Have any other Elite Controller owners get their controllers working on Windows 7 64 bit? I may need help.

So, after three hours with Microsoft Customer Support, I learned that my Xbox Elite Controller, which says on its product page that it's compatible with Windows 7 and newer OSs as seen here:

457eefda74.png

...is not compatible with Windows 7.

So, after three hours with Microsoft Customer Support, I learned that my Xbox Elite Controller, which says on its product page that it's compatible with Windows 7 and newer OSs as seen here:

457eefda74.png

...is not compatible with Windows 7.
I dont see anything wrong. Its says: "Windows 7 or later". That means its compatible for Windows 7 and beyond (8 and 10).

I dont see anything wrong. Its says: "Windows 7 or later". That means its compatible for Windows 7 and beyond (8 and 10).

You missed the part where I said it doesn't work for Windows 7. At least for me, it doesn't.

If someone else who owns an Elite Controller has theirs working on Windows 7, please speak up as I still need help.

Is it just my Xbox One or does the new main interface have sound issues? Some commands sound fine while others don't. For example, entering a game has this glitchy popping sound at the end of the command tone. It's the same when entering system settings. At other times I can hover between similar icons and it will randomly sound as if the command tone cuts out as I alternate between them. The problem appears to be isolated to specific parts of the interface, and I don't have any noticeable issues within games. I've checked my sound settings to no avail.

Is it just my Xbox One or does the new main interface have sound issues? Some commands sound fine while others don't. For example, entering a game has this glitchy popping sound at the end of the command tone. It's the same when entering system settings. At other times I can hover between similar icons and it will randomly sound as if the command tone cuts out as I alternate between them. The problem appears to be isolated to specific parts of the interface, and I don't have any noticeable issues within games. I've checked my sound settings to no avail.

Yep, it does happen on occasions, but I just ignore it. No biggie. Games run fine and that's what matters to me the most.

Don't let it keep you up at night. ;)

Question- Is there a way to see 'Live Data' when moving analog sticks and/or buttons on the One controller? I need to see if my controller sticks drift in general or just with certain games, I am assuming it is due to certain games having more or less sensitivity in the controls.

Question- Is there a way to see 'Live Data' when moving analog sticks and/or buttons on the One controller? I need to see if my controller sticks drift in general or just with certain games, I am assuming it is due to certain games having more or less sensitivity in the controls.

If you own Forza 5 or 6, you can pull up telemetry during a race and track your inputs for triggers and analog sticks.

Set all deadzones to 0/100 first.

If you own Forza 5 or 6, you can pull up telemetry during a race and track your inputs for triggers and analog sticks.

I was thinking that as well, but that only shows what's going on in Forza. Something straight from the dashboard would be more convenient. Hell, I wonder if there is some sort of PC program that you can use and plug the controller in?

Also speaking of Forza 6, you can go into the vinyl editor, grab a vinyl to stretch or resize it, then lightly push the analog stick in each direction and see if it keeps resizing on its own when you let off the analog stick. That is how I found out I had a bad controller back on the 360 in F4. It is also why I kept breaking lock pics all the time in Skyrim. It took playing F4 vinyl editor for me to find that out.

Also have you manually updated your controller lately? I would recommend plugging it in and updating it. Even if it says it is updated, try to do it again.

Also have you manually updated your controller lately? I would recommend plugging it in and updating it. Even if it says it is updated, try to do it again.
You can force it to update again? Reason I'm wondering is because maybe that is what's wrong with my pad.

You can force it to update again? Reason I'm wondering is because maybe that is what's wrong with my pad.
I am pretty sure you can. It will say something similar to "Update again" I think.

Not sure how it works with the BRAND new controllers because those auto update on their own without being plugged in. But the older style I think you can force another update in the controller options.

Last edited:
Ok so after help from you guy's and some testing, I have pinpointed my issue to be the left analog stick, mostly, in combination with Rainbow 6's deadzone settings. Other games do not present this drifting issue.

I confirmed this by swapping analog sticks via mapping settings and the left stick still drags but if I bump my deadzone up from 5 (lowest) to 7, it will eliminate the drift for the most part.

Here's a video:

For anyone who plays Rainbow Six, next time you are on, if you could drop your deadzone settings on the left analog to 5 and see if your controller does it too. All it takes is moving forward then let off or barely tap the stick 'right' and it will stick.

*I am already convinced it is my controller but just in case.....

What good ol' @CAMAROBOY69 is referring to is the fact that the system never indicates if a controller update is available.. you have to click 'no update available' in order to find out. And it WILL update if there is one available, even though the message displayed contradicts it.

I've made it a habit to check every two months or so. BTW, are you guys enjoying the X1 pad? My hands ache after a while playing Forza and the build quality does not feel as refined as the X360's. That was definitely more ergonomically friendly as well.

What good ol' @CAMAROBOY69 is referring to is the fact that the system never indicates if a controller update is available.. you have to click 'no update available' in order to find out. And it WILL update if there is one available, even though the message displayed contradicts it.

I've made it a habit to check every two months or so. BTW, are you guys enjoying the X1 pad? My hands ache after a while playing Forza and the build quality does not feel as refined as the X360's. That was definitely more ergonomically friendly as well.
Well, I got on yesterday, but totally forgot to even try the method out. Hopefully I'll remember when I get back on today!

As for the pad, I like it much better. I haven't used the 360 pad in a while, but IIRC it felt bulky, and just didn't feel the quality that you see in it. It might be the difference in weight that might make you feel the build quality is better, but I feel everything about the new pad is better. I have gotten hand cramps like you mentioned, but that only seems to be when I get too into a game and clinch it too hard.

The older X1 controllers were not as ergonomic as the 360 controllers. However, these brand new X1 controllers are WAY better than the older X1 controllers. The LB and RB are absolutely miles ahead of the old X1 LB and RB buttons. You touch the LB or RB buttons anywhere and they push in very easily. The older LB and RB worked on a hinge system. The new LB and RB can be pushed anywhere with ease and just work so much better. If any of you get a chance, I highly recommend upgrading to the new X1 controllers. Much better. They also auto update, and have a 3mm hole for other headsets. Just a huge improvement.

The older X1 controllers were not as ergonomic as the 360 controllers. However, these brand new X1 controllers are WAY better than the older X1 controllers. The LB and RB are absolutely miles ahead of the old X1 LB and RB buttons. You touch the LB or RB buttons anywhere and they push in very easily. The older LB and RB worked on a hinge system. The new LB and RB can be pushed anywhere with ease and just work so much better. If any of you get a chance, I highly recommend upgrading to the new X1 controllers. Much better. They also auto update, and have a 3mm hole for other headsets. Just a huge improvement.
I'm getting a new pad from my other half as a Christmas gift. Hopefully the old ones aren't mixed in with the new ones at the store. Since I'm actually going with her this weekend to the mall to shop, I'll actually be able to look myself I suppose.

I'm getting a new pad from my other half as a Christmas gift. Hopefully the old ones aren't mixed in with the new ones at the store. Since I'm actually going with her this weekend to the mall to shop, I'll actually be able to look myself I suppose.
Any specific style you are going to get or a black one? They had a LOT of sales on these controllers over Cyber Monday. I have a black one that came with my new X1 and I have a silver blue Halo 5 Locke controller (looks so sick in person with laser engraving) that I picked up for $40.00 on cyber Monday. You will notice the LB RB button improvements immediately.

Any specific style you are going to get or a black one? They had a LOT of sales on these controllers over Cyber Monday. I have a black one that came with my new X1 and I have a silver blue Halo 5 Locke controller (looks so sick in person with laser engraving) that I picked up for $40.00 on cyber Monday. You will notice the LB RB button improvements immediately.
Well I didn't want to browse online, just in case I can't find anything in person. I'm just going to go in and see what they have. I wouldn't mind some kind of special one, but I also don't mind if I end up with just the black one.

Top 10 most popular backwards compatible titles:
CWcB2qKWEAIBCgd.png

Upcoming backwards compatibility titles:

CWcCc5rWsAAOklE.png

...worth noting that 3 on 3 NHL Arcade, Halo Wars, Small Arms and Soulcalibur II are only listed in Microsoft UK's press release.... small print etc

CWcDAEqWEAEsqnG.png

Latest Posts

Back