TheVerge: Wait for GT7 'unacceptable'

• Thread starter Earth
  • 266 comments
Awright, look. This argument is spinning in circles, as usually happens with you, Tornado and Johnnypenso.

Let's get basic here. Do you really think fans want a smaller Gran Turismo 7?

Why does removing standards make it a smaller GT7? 1300-1400 cars, 60% of which are not up to current modeling standards, does not make a big game, it makes for a lot of content. The game is what is done with the content and that can be as big or as small as Kaz/PD want to make it, regardless of whether the game is 600 premium cars or 1400 S&P cars. GT3 was a pretty big game with a tiny fraction of the cars in GT5/6 and presumably GT7.

Do you really think the millions of fans who are still buying GT5 and 6 are holding their noses in disgust over the Standard cars, tracks and fold out trees, and somehow the mass of gaming journos and bloggers have missed it?
GT5 and GT6 are on PS3, we're talking about PS4 here.

Go ahead and think whatever you want. But more than a third of us want many of the things I express in my posts, and I do have quite a few Likes on many of them, so pretending I'm the lone loony voice out in the swamp on these issues isn't quite accurate.
So if a third of people want something that makes it something that definitely should be in the game then? Ok, let's run with that.

upload_2015-6-19_23-56-7.png

Now what?

If there's one thing GT5 taught me is that a longer wait doesn't gurantee a great game.
I also classifie Duke Nukem Forever as well. A 1996 to 2011 wait, and look how that game turned out... Yeah waiting for something for half your life maybe okay (for some that are desperate for said title), but at the same it's not if a game turns out to be a hot, half-assed, buggy and glitchy pile of mess of a game.

If there's one thing GT5 taught me is that a longer wait doesn't gurantee a great game.

GT5 in 2010 did what T10 2nd game on Xbone is not implementing. They still do not have dynamic weather or time of day :scared:
Forza6 I am not sure has low/high beam as well. Some generic over exposed headlights. I am not impressed. But may be they can fix it before release.

GT5 set the benchmark and was awesome game for its time.

Last edited:
GT5 in 2010 did what T10 2nd game on Xbone. They still do not have dynamic weather or time of day :scared:
Forza6 I am not sure has low/high beam as well some generic over exposed headlights. I am not impressed. But may be they can fix it before release.

No doubt this dynamic things are great, but I rarely use them because I for myself hate the massive framedrops using it. T10 might takes time to implement those things but one thing is for sure, their games are always well developed running at a steady smooth 60fps. In GT even in Time Trail setting dynamic time and weather drops the framerate extremely and at some points of the track ridiciously low. Ever played the last round of GT Academy? switch to cockpit view in that Nissan LM car and you got a framerate of 30fps or something.

Bathurst another good example, driving this track is so choppy, I hate it. Aswell as shadow flickering because being "dynamic" all over the place. Driving in the rain with a full grid of cars I dont even want to speak of...

Last edited:
Could be both , i don't mind waiting , i've waited for GTA and GT games , and i'm still waiting for a new Red Dead Redemption for so long that i don't mind it really , but that's just me i guess.

Yeah , the sooner the better , but if it comes sooner , it might come imcomplete , so i'll wait.

I agree with @JoaoSilva I have no problem and am willing to wait if it means they're going to complete the game and create it to reach its full potential. I have no idea why people are complaining about waiting for GT7 when we JUST got GT6. Do people now want PD to be like Forza releasing a game every 2 years? (Not knocking Forza at all)
It's like so many people want the quality of a game that takes 5 years to make in a span of 1 year. Quality over quantity. (It's said all over GTPlanet) GT7 will get here when it gets here. whether it be 1 year or 3 years.

I agree with @JoaoSilva I have no problem and am willing to wait if it means they're going to complete the game and create it to reach its full potential. I have no idea why people are complaining about waiting for GT7 when we JUST got GT6. Do people now want PD to be like Forza releasing a game every 2 years? (Not knocking Forza at all)
It's like so many people want the quality of a game that takes 5 years to make in a span of 1 year. Quality over quantity. (It's said all over GTPlanet) GT7 will get here when it gets here. whether it be 1 year or 3 years.

This.

You just read my mind.

as long as they give us a teaser pic / vid soon I don't mind waiting 5 more years either. But right now, with nothing, I feel restless. I can't play GT6 much anymore, it's gotten too choppy for me since pcars. Only thing bringing me back is the occassional VGT, and the course maker will bring me back some, but that's it. I really want a tiny teaser.

GT5 in 2010 did what T10 2nd game on Xbone. They still do not have dynamic weather or time of day :scared:
Forza6 I am not sure has low/high beam as well some generic over exposed headlights. I am not impressed. But may be they can fix it before release.

Yet you're forgetting that Forza 6 will have up to 24 cars on track as well as other effects like puddles to accurately depict driving in the rain. If sacrifices must be made for a consistently performing game, then so be it.

And I don't know about you, but I don't care how many bells and whistles a racing game has if the fundamental parts of a racing game like AI, sound, career mode, etc. aren't up to scratch. IMO, this is the biggest problem with GT right now as it doesn't do well in any of these areas. GT has a lot of content and features, but not much of it excels.

I also find it ironic how some want quality over quantity in GT when PD try to cram in so much stuff to the point it hurts the game's performance. GT5/GT6 push the PS3 over the edge and it shows.

Yet you're forgetting that Forza 6 will have up to 24 cars on track as well as other effects like puddles to accurately depict driving in the rain. If sacrifices must be made for a consistently performing game, then so be it.

And I don't know about you, but I don't care how many bells and whistles a racing game has if the fundamental parts of a racing game like AI, sound, career mode, etc. aren't up to scratch. IMO, this is the biggest problem with GT right now as it doesn't do well in any of these areas. GT has a lot of content and features, but not much of it excels.

I also find it ironic how some want quality over quantity in GT when PD try to cram in so much stuff to the point it hurts the game's performance. GT5/GT6 push the PS3 over the edge and it shows.

AI is nascar, go karts or RB cars are competitive and race nose to tail. I also find AI fast in 700PP races. It depend on the car, tire. The player can adjust accordingly. Sound is something I am sure will improve significantly in GT7 and career mode I guess will be much bigger too with better endurance races than GT6. People were mad at GT6 24hrs races which last only 24mins but Forza6 it is not even possible as weather and time of day will not change during races. For GT7 they are probably working on VR compatibility and some other things we probably do not know. I think GT7 will be worth the wait. All good things takes some time. They are probably working on something really big :embarrassed:

No doubt this dynamic things are great, but I rarely use them because I for myself hate the massive framedrops using it. T10 might takes time to implement those things but one thing is for sure, their games are always well developed running at a steady smooth 60fps. In GT even in Time Trail setting dynamic time and weather drops the framerate extremely and at some points of the track ridiciously low. Ever played the last round of GT Academy? switch to cockpit view in that Nissan LM car and you got a framerate of 30fps or something.

Bathurst another good example, driving this track is so choppy, I hate it. Aswell as shadow flickering because being "dynamic" all over the place. Driving in the rain with a full grid of cars I dont even want to speak of...

Wow you are exaggerating. It has trouble during weather with other cars and shadows issues is definitely PS3 limitation. I think on PS4 they should not have a problem TBH in gfx, performance. They really good in this stuff but obviously they always try to push as much detail as possible.

I really hate to put it like this but
View attachment 383634
This
is lightyears different from
View attachment 383637
So it's unreasonable to expect the same developing timespan:technologies have changed, there are new grounds to explore and oriental people is well known to be all about pride and "old school" ways.
The fact that in the last two years they hired new programmers, artists and even sound directors is plain revolution imho.
Back to topic: the article itself MIGHT have a point, problem is that is blandly explained, it really seem a rip off from a closed cry and whine topic by some 15 y.o on GTP.
This! Many people rant about how bad GT5 was.

They forget that GT5 was especially when looking at graphics ahead of its time as it still can compete with modern racing game graphics.

Also, I for my part had tons of awesome gaming hours, racing career mode, building up my garage, tuning cars and especially playing split screen with a friend.

Which racing game today has more than 1000 cars (yeah, I know, Standards. but the 300 Premium Cars have great detail)? Which game has physics with a realism that is absolutely acceptable? Which game had a course generator that produced some really cool tracks?

I can only think about GT5. Of course there were many disadvantages, such as the long developing time, but nothing that outweighs the pros.

There are quite a few PS3 game series that haven't made an appearance on the PS4 yet. Are those developers going to sack their bosses too?
I'm working on a game right now, and I'm fairly certain its for PS3 based on the limitations I've been given and that the previous game was for PS3, and we thought PD was crazy when GT6 was released 19 months ago. :lol:

Wow you are exaggerating. It has trouble during weather with other cars and shadows issues is definitely PS3 limitation. I think on PS4 they should not have a problem TBH in gfx, performance. They really good in this stuff but obviously they always try to push as much detail as possible.

Yes PS3 limitation and there we go, the choppy races and extreme framedrops are there, no matter how limited the PS3 is and how much of an excuse is to use it. PD chosen to be the game like that and is aware of the framerate issues but they rather take this trade off for features. If not they wouldnt put those things. While as example T10 has other prefrences, they aim for a smooth gameplay and not to put as much cool features as possible not caring for serious performance impact. It's a trade off. I prefer the smooth performance over a half done race feature in GT6 which looks rather poorly than good because the PS3 is on it's limit. GT7 gonna be epic graphically no doubt, but I prefer smooth gameplay in every situation. Well let's see when the first actual pictures arrive. During that time I am just busy with other games. :)

Yes PS3 limitation and there we go, the choppy races and extreme framedrops are there, no matter how limited the PS3 is and how much of an excuse is to use it. PD chosen to be the game like that and is aware of the framerate issues but they rather take this trade off for features. If not they wouldnt put those things. While as example T10 has other prefrences, they aim for a smooth gameplay and not to put as much cool features as possible not caring for serious performance impact. It's a trade off. I prefer the smooth performance over a half done race feature in GT6 which looks rather poorly than good because the PS3 is on it's limit. GT7 gonna be epic graphically no doubt, but I prefer smooth gameplay in every situation. Well let's see when the first actual pictures arrive. During that time I am just busy with other games. :)

I play on 720P and TBH never bothered about fps issues. Except extreme weather. Obviously in normal condition it runs much better. I just hope they don't go mental and try to over do it. But they taking their time in development is something I do not mind too much :confused:

I play on 720P and TBH never bothered about fps issues. Except extreme weather. Obviously in normal condition it runs much better. I just hope they don't go mental and try to over do it. But they taking their time in development is something I do not mind too much :confused:
I play on 1080 and I never had serious FPS drops. I would say it was never below 25 and it is on an average of 35-40. Correct me if the PS3 is FPS-limited.

Back