TheVerge: Wait for GT7 'unacceptable'

• Thread starter Earth
  • 266 comments
http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/6/1/8699573/sony-gran-turismo-7-come-on-where-is-it

Again, like annual sports games, 90% of GT's assets can be reused in a sequel, so why does it take so long to come out? Its not a matter of polish, as GT5 was anything but polished

Hey man just wanted to tell you that nobody here wants to hear someone complaining about something we all are dealing with on our own. You are no different and if for some reason you dont get that it takes a damn long time to make a GT game... Well. Its not for you.

It was still playable :P
It isn't after you've played a concistent 60fps game like PC. I can't play GT6 anymore because of the framedrops. I can very well play games at 20fps on my mbpr, but those games are not racing games. I even felt DiRT Rally to be choppy when it dropped from 60 to 40. I totally get it now, why most people say racing games suck at 30fps and need to be 60fps. Never got that until I got into PC.

It isn't after you've played a concistent 60fps game like PC. I can't play GT6 anymore because of the framedrops. I can very well play games at 20fps on my mbpr, but those games are not racing games. I even felt DiRT Rally to be choppy when it dropped from 60 to 40. I totally get it now, why most people say racing games suck at 30fps and need to be 60fps. Never got that until I got into PC.

THIS! Eventhough I can also play 30fps racers like Drive Club or Forza Horizon where the framerate never dips. But having that choppy 60fps drops... they are to prominent.

I play on 1080 and I never had serious FPS drops. I would say it was never below 25 and it is on an average of 35-40. Correct me if the PS3 is FPS-limited.

That is already awful for a game which is supposed to run on 60fps.

That is already awful for a game which is supposed to run on 60fps.
But still perfectly enjoyable.

What I wanted to say with all my previous posts is that GT is a game that really needs polishing and some core feautres that are standard in other games of this genre.

But besides that it has many advantages which makes GT still a great game to enjoy :)

But still perfectly enjoyable.

What I wanted to say with all my previous posts is that GT is a game that really needs polishing and some core feautres that are standard in other games of this genre.

But besides that it has many advantages which makes GT still a great game to enjoy :)

No doubt it's a good game, just it's a game with two faces. It has high quality and low quality aspects. I would prefer only the high quality and wouldnt mind to get rid of the low quality even if I have low content. But I can only speak for myself.

Hey man just wanted to tell you that nobody here wants to hear someone complaining about something we all are dealing with on our own. You are no different and if for some reason you dont get that it takes a damn long time to make a GT game... Well. Its not for you.

Hey man just wanted to tell you that if you don't want to hear people complaining then you might be better off avoiding threads with titles like "Wait for GT7 unacceptable". You are no different and if for some reason you don't get the some people feel better if they get this stuff off their chest...well, forums are not for you.

The article is on to something though. I mean, what do they do over there at PD? Seems like they have a very Japanese approach.

^ Is that a bad thing though? I don't buy that western games are superior to Japanese. Modern Japanese games might not show the same degree of evolution as western titles, but I don't think that following/copying the western approach is necessarily the right answer.

Basically, If I wanted GT to become Forza, I wouldn't play GT since I've already got Forza. I personally like that it's Japanese in approach, even if there were some serious growing pains last generation because of it.

Awright, look. This argument is spinning in circles, as usually happens with you, Tornado and Johnnypenso.

My suggestion would be to stop resorting to strawman arguments, to stop misrepresenting others' posts, and to actually use facts to back up your statements. Then, we wouldn't run into this issue where you (unsurprisingly, again) wave off any posts that point these things out.

Let's get basic here. Do you really think fans want a smaller Gran Turismo 7?

Yes, I do think some fans want just that. A game that has more care put into the assets that it contains, instead of the everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink, quality-be-damned approach that plagued the PS3 generation.

Do you really think the millions of fans who are still buying GT5 and 6 are holding their noses in disgust over the Standard cars, tracks and fold out trees, and somehow the mass of gaming journos and bloggers have missed it?

Show me any semblance of proof GT5 has sold millions of copies since GT6's arrival. Don't point to Amazon either, as their Top 100 lists are not based solely on the items' current selling rate, but on "historical data".

Go ahead and think whatever you want.

I don't need your permission to do that, but thanks.

But more than a third of us want many of the things I express in my posts

Define "us". Go on.

and I do have quite a few Likes on many of them

Oh. We're qualifying posts based on Like counts now. This should be fun.

so pretending I'm the lone loony voice out in the swamp on these issues isn't quite accurate.

The only person saying these things is you.

^ Is that a bad thing though? I don't buy that western games are superior to Japanese. Modern Japanese games might not show the same degree of evolution as western titles, but I don't think that following/copying the western approach is necessarily the right answer.

Basically, If I wanted GT to become Forza, I wouldn't play GT since I've already got Forza. I personally like that it's Japanese in approach, even if there were some serious growing pains last generation because of it.

Actually, that wasn't a compliment. If Gran Turismo were a race horse, Polyphony would ride it to the brink of death before thinking about breeding another. And then the horse croaks while trying to mount up to make babies. ... Sorry, 12 month delay while we resuscitate the horse. Patience, please.

Actually, that wasn't a compliment. If Gran Turismo were a race horse, Polyphony would ride it to the brink of death before thinking about breeding another. And then the horse croaks while trying to mount up to make babies. ... Sorry, 12 month delay while we resuscitate the horse. Patience, please.

That analogy is as hyperbolic as it is ridiculous.

And what exactly wasn't a compliment? You posited that GT's Japanese approach was to its detriment, and I refuted that notion. Not sure where any compliments come into play there...

Last edited:
Why does Sony and PD allow this to happen?

I think its a cultural thing in Japan; it will be ready when it's ready. I also think they like to keep the employee count down as they think of themselves as a sort of family. And with fewer people to manage that makes things easier for Kaz to keep a handle on things with his attention to detail. But only PD knows for sure.

Jerome

You didn't really do that, no. "I disagree because it might be right but I don't think it is because I like it anyway" doesn't really refute anything.

Your paraphrasing is way off. It's more like "I disagree because I think it's just plain wrong", which last I checked matches the definition of "refute".

But it depends on what you're considering as a detriment to GT.

I was considering the viewpoint of GT's identity. GT is Japanese, which in and of itself is neither a bad thing or a good thing... just a matter of personal taste. But what isn't debatable is that GT being Japanese is what gives it a unique identity, especially since its main rival is American in both origin and approach. Take away what makes GT Japanese, and you take away what makes GT unique. I believe that GT should be GT and that if you want it to be Forza, you should go play Forza.

But if your metric of "detrimental" to GT is sales, popularity, etc... then yeah sure, it might be detrimental for some regions in the same way that anime has a limited amount of popularity stateside compared to, say, comic books. GT's main saving grace in that regard is that it's got cars and it was here well before any serious console competition. It might lose ground due to it being Japanese, but it's not gonna fall off the map overnight.

Last edited:
@Lain I respect your opinion but I've got to disagree on one thing - PS3 GT games "lost ground" to the competition not because of PDI's Japanese-ess but the games themselves weren't as good as their rivals.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what exactly is this Japanese-ess thingy is.

I respect your opinion of GT5/6 being inferior to their rivals, but it's just that: An opinion. An opinion which, while possibly the most popular opinion, is certainly not the only significant opinion.

There are numerous factors which could've contributed to GT losing ground, and I think the main one is simply the presence and popularity of Xbox. From GT1-GT4, the only significant console competition for Playstation was Nintendo. And not that this is a bad thing, but the Nintendo demographic isn't exactly the same as the Playstation/Xbox demographic.

Then of course the Xbox 360 happened and Microsoft gained some significant market share. No small amount of PS1/PS2-era GT players migrated to the Xbox for the sake of the overall benefits of the platform (i.e. not because of Forza, but because of Xbox Live, the 360 coming out a year ahead of the competition, etc.) and just stuck with it.. Possibly in part because of Forza, though whether they found it to be a suitable GT substitute or a superior GT substitute is another matter and presumably varied from person to person.

There are numerous factors which could've contributed to GT losing ground, and I think the main one is simply the presence and popularity of Xbox. From GT1-GT4, the only significant console competition for Playstation was Nintendo. And not that this is a bad thing, but the Nintendo demographic isn't exactly the same as the Playstation/Xbox demographic.

Then of course the Xbox 360 happened and Microsoft gained some significant market share. No small amount of PS1/PS2-era GT players migrated to the Xbox for the sake of the overall benefits of the platform (i.e. not because of Forza, but because of Xbox Live, the 360 coming out a year ahead of the competition, etc.) and just stuck with it.. Possibly in part because of Forza, though whether they found it to be a suitable GT substitute or a superior GT substitute is another matter and presumably varied from person to person.
Not sure I understand how Forza contributed to GT losing ground. It's debatable whether they lost any customers at all to the Forza series given that GT5 sales were about on par with GT1, 2 and 4 and only outpaced significantly by GT3.

I play on 1080 and I never had serious FPS drops. I would say it was never below 25 and it is on an average of 35-40. Correct me if the PS3 is FPS-limited.

I am not sure it drops that much even in 1080P mode :confused:. How can you say that ? Someone needs to test with a clean install with latest version Here is a test with v1.3

TBH I do not think most people can tell at what fps the game is running except the extreme condition.

I still don't understand the argument that GT would be low on content without ps2 assets, 500 cars aren't enough for you?
There are 471 Premium cars according to kudosprime.com and if PD can make only 150 new cars for GT7, We'll have more than 600 cars for GT7. An amazing number for the first GT on PS4.

Yeah, but then there's the standards. I hope all of them gets "semi premium treatment" and not just a select few

The Verge has always been bashing on Gran Turismo since GT5. I've seen one article by them dissing the starry sky box trailer for GT6 the last 2 years.

To be fair though, that starry skybox was rather skyboxy.

There are 471 Premium cars according to kudosprime.com and if PD can make only 150 new cars for GT7, We'll have more than 600 cars for GT7. An amazing number for the first GT on PS4.
A not insignificant number of those premiums are duplicates or near duplicates so 471 isn't an accurate unique premium car count. Base models for example are just non-liveried versions of race cars and count as a separate car. Identical cars with differing liveries are also counted as unique cars like many of the premium GT500 cars for example.

Back