Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
You're putting causation when it's not necessarily there.

Things can confuse you.
Things can annoy you.
Things can confuse AND annoy you (usually one causes the other)

We got options here!
Fair point, but we have a different thread for that, I think. :scared: (What Grinds Your Gears Thread)

Take a look at the OP
I'm sitting here with something to get off my chest and couldn't find a thread that seems to fit. So, here you go. Anything that confuses you to the point of anger or frustration. Share and discuss as you please, but try to keep it civil.

This is clearly looking for causation.

Also, I'm not trying to be an ass, I just was just wondering why small little things like "oh my phone battery died, now I can't use it, so annoying" are in here.

I have to agree with @kolio.

The OP clearly states about confusion changing to annoyance or even anger and frustration.

Buuut ............ you can also use this thread to express your confusion without getting frustrated, angry or annoyed. And vice versa.

Oh, I didn't read the OP. I thought it was just either one or the other.

With that said, there's still one thing that confuses me. What inclines people to text and drive anyway? Are they just so impatient that they can't wait until they get to their destination to pick that up? or just send the text before driving off?

EDIT: Um, I can't use the "grind your gears" thread that @kolio mentioned. It's closed.

I was aiming for the thread to be about things you can't wrap your head around. Kind'a like seeing someone driving with the gas cap hanging off the side of their car and thinking how can anyone be that oblivious, but you see it everywhere and every day so what the hell? Waking up from noises is certainly annoying, but it's not something one would expect to be a headscratcher.
In any case, I'm not one to try and police things, nor do I think I have the right to here since there are moderators. Sorry if the thread title is unclear, and I'm willing to change it if anyone wants me to.

I have another. I feel like most of the discussions on the internet regarding movies eventually fall into this narrow consensus where everyone seems to jump onto some bandwagon thought or idea and you have to go out of your way to find someone with an actual real opinion. It's to the point where a lot of it gets repeated word for word, as if there is some mysterious internet puppeteer that is hiding out there, most likely some overly-energetic youtuber.

There is one very strong example of this regarding a scene in the latest Star Wars movie. I left a long rant on some youtube comment section picking this bandwagon complaint apart and finding examples where the same could be said in the original films. This was a while back and I'm surprised I haven't gotten any replies. Maybe my logic broke them.

Anyway, yeah. I hate that so many just hop onto the cool edgy cynical "opinions" that get all the attention and clicks, and I wonder how many actually feel that way or just repeat the prescribed viewpoints.

I posted a status once. Or twice. I can’t remember.
Statuses like what I mentioned? To clarify I am referring to those statuses that people make nowadays that say "copy and paste" at the end. While they're kind of different than those chain letters you mentioned, they're at least related to them. I think I may have posted them at least once or twice WAY back in 2010 or 2011, but I don't do it nowadays because I find them to be pretty annoying.

What's worse, is some of them could make for some interesting discussions among friends, but if you don't copy and paste the status, they won't respond to you unless you do.
I thought it was just either one or the other.
So did I, one or the other or perhaps both. I mean, I have read the first post before, but not for a long time and I sort of forgot about what the OP said until I looked at it again.

Last edited:
My apologies to all for causing quite the kerfuffle. I didn't mean for that. I just wanted to make sure this thread stayed on topic, because I like the topic. Not trying to be mini mod. :P

EDIT: Um, I can't use the "grind your gears" thread that @kolio mentioned. It's closed.
Ah, no wonder that's not being used... I didn't realise it was closed.
I was aiming for the thread to be about things you can't wrap your head around. Kind'a like seeing someone driving with the gas cap hanging off the side of their car and thinking how can anyone be that oblivious, but you see it everywhere and every day so what the hell? Waking up from noises is certainly annoying, but it's not something one would expect to be a headscratcher.
In any case, I'm not one to try and police things, nor do I think I have the right to here since there are moderators. Sorry if the thread title is unclear, and I'm willing to change it if anyone wants me to.

I have another. I feel like most of the discussions on the internet regarding movies eventually fall into this narrow consensus where everyone seems to jump onto some bandwagon thought or idea and you have to go out of your way to find someone with an actual real opinion. It's to the point where a lot of it gets repeated word for word, as if there is some mysterious internet puppeteer that is hiding out there, most likely some overly-energetic youtuber.

There is one very strong example of this regarding a scene in the latest Star Wars movie. I left a long rant on some youtube comment section picking this bandwagon complaint apart and finding examples where the same could be said in the original films. This was a while back and I'm surprised I haven't gotten any replies. Maybe my logic broke them.

Anyway, yeah. I hate that so many just hop onto the cool edgy cynical "opinions" that get all the attention and clicks, and I wonder how many actually feel that way or just repeat the prescribed viewpoints.
Your thread, your rules. I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if you wanted to turn this into a general complaint thread.

Drake's dance move annoys me...
images

Another thing that confuses me is how some people can somehow still be too lazy to look around or read before making judgements on a product. For instance, I've seen people complain about some video games for thinking it didn't have a feature. In reality, it did have that feature and they just didn't make an effort to find it.

Oh, I didn't read the OP. I thought it was just either one or the other.

With that said, there's still one thing that confuses me. What inclines people to text and drive anyway? Are they just so impatient that they can't wait until they get to their destination to pick that up? or just send the text before driving off?

Because driving is boring, and they need to be entertained at all times for some reason which will bring them into a constant state of amusement. They just go on and on looking at funny drawings with captions on the internet while driving and running over the occasional cyclist and/or human. Years pass by and then it's just become normalised that people don't pay attention to driving, the Police can't do a thing about it because they don't have the man power to pull over and fine every car on the road. And before we know it, they're not just running over cyclists, they're running over every living thing they come across. And they're a ticking time bomb because they're becoming miserable because the pictures aren't enough, now they're crashing themselves into power poles and then getting out of the car. They're driving off cliffs, and into lakes. Still they're laughing as they do it because they relate it to one of the many dark memes they see on the internet. Eventually humans wipe themselves off the face of the earth! Due to using their phone at the wheel! And that is why they text and drive, because they want to watch the world burn at their finger tips. :P

Please keep in mind that I'm not being serious, which should be obvious when I suggest that cyclists aren't human... I'm just not very funny.

Maybe it's time to re-open the thread then?

Oh god, please not again. As a chief contributor to that monstrosity, please not again. :lol: I don't think the site can handle the B.O.

Something that annoys me is when companies sell a 'gaming' oriented device, it has to possess at least three things, no less:

1. RGB lighting everywhere
  2. Hardware that only consists of angles that aren't 90°
  3. Bloated software that looks like it came out of an alien spacecraft
Can't I have a 'stealth' gaming device? Not as in stealth bomber, but instead more like undetectable. Something that looks sleek and unobtrusive instead of facet-focused and conspicuous.

Something that annoys me is when companies sell a 'gaming' oriented device, it has to possess at least three things, no less:

1. RGB lighting everywhere
  2. Hardware that only consists of angles that aren't 90°
  3. Bloated software that looks like it came out of an alien spacecraft
Can't I have a 'stealth' gaming device? Not as in stealth bomber, but instead more like undetectable. Something that looks sleek and unobtrusive instead of facet-focused and conspicuous.

You forgot number 4:

4. An enormous price tag compared to 'non-gaming' equivalents even if they're functionally identical

People that chew with their mouth open and/or smack their food while chewing.
This has annoyed me since I was a child and it still does now. I have a classmate at school that does this all the time, I often avoid sitting with him at lunch because he never stops doing this and it drives me crazy. My whole family does this as well, my dad being the worst about it and they know I hate it, but still do it anyways and sometimes will do it even more if I say something. What's worse is sometimes some of them will chew food and then stick their tongues out just to aggravate me, and then they wonder why I prefer to eat by myself.... :rolleyes:

I get somethings are harder to chew than others, but you don't have to do it every single time. I don't want to see what someone else is chewing in their mouth, so I don't show them either because that's disgusting. :yuck: If you're going to sit with me and then do this, you may as well find somewhere else to sit.

Last edited:
This has annoyed me since I was a child and it still does now. I have a classmate at school that does this all the time, I often avoid sitting with him at lunch because he never stops doing this and it drives me crazy. My whole family does this as well, my dad being the worst about it and they know I hate it, but still do it anyways and sometimes will do it even more if I say something. What's worse is sometimes some of them will chew food and then stick their tongues out just to aggravate me, and then they wonder why I prefer to eat by myself.... :rolleyes:

I get somethings are harder to chew than others, but you don't have to do it every single time. I don't want to see what someone else is chewing in their mouth, so I don't show them either because that's disgusting. :yuck: If you're going to sit with me and then do this, you may as well find somewhere else to sit.
That's plain disrespectful! Even if it's something hard like biting lollipops it's still not acceptable to chew with your mouth open. Eugh :yuck:

And the biggest problem is, if they haven't learned before that chewing with closed mouth is the normal, they'll keep chewing with open mouth, because they've been doing that for ages.

Happens with my brother as well. He thinks it's totally normal.

I confuse myself many times here on GTP when I re-read my posts and see that I wrote a lot of mistakes, missing words etc ... . This is not only confusing because sometime I don't even understand what I was talking about but it is very annoying as well. :D

I confuse myself many times here on GTP when I re-read my posts and see that I wrote a lot of mistakes, missing words etc ... . This is not only confusing because sometime I don't even understand what I was talking about but it is very annoying as well. :D
Same! Switching up between 2 phones and a laptop really does a number on your typing :lol:
I honestly thank GTP for not showing "Last edited" if you're fast enough so no one notices your typo :D

Same! switchign up between 2 phones and a laptop really does a number on your typing :lol:
I honestly thank GTP for not showing "Last edited" if you're fast enough so no one notices your typo :D
You say typo, I say mistakes (in my case of course). I wish my English is as good as a certain smart and well respected member of GTP.

EDIT: I did it again. :irked::grumpy::ouch:

That's plain disrespectful!
Agreed, especially with the part about them sticking their tongues out just to aggravate me. How it goes is they will say my name so I will look up at them and then that's when they do it. :yuck: My mom gets upset if I ever refuse to sit with my family at the table, which I can kind of understand, but it really isn't that difficult to imagine why I would do this.... Sometimes I have actually spoke out a few times at the table and said "Ya'll do things like this and then ya'll wonder why I prefer to eat by myself!", but whether or not anyone heard me is beyond me.

For the record though, their table manners (or lack of table manners I should say) ain't the only reason I prefer to eat alone, away from my family.
Even if it's something hard like biting lollipops it's still not acceptable to chew with your mouth open. Eugh :yuck:
Eh, I want to say yes, however to be fair, which I hate to say this, but I think some people have bigger mouths and stronger jaws than others and it's possible they may be incapable of chewing certain foods with their mouths closed at times. This is not a problem I have, but I can imagine other people do. Still, it would be great if people didn't chew with their mouth open period.

My post is mainly directed at those that can chew with their mouths closed, but don't. (and yes I know my family and my classmate is capable of doing so)
And the biggest problem is, if they haven't learned before that chewing with closed mouth is the normal, they'll keep chewing with open mouth, because they've been doing that for ages.
Yep. If I had to teach someone about table manners, that would be the first thing i'd cover.

To be fair, I should reiterate that my post makes it sound like my family does it all the time just to annoy me, but really it's just their natural eating habits and they probably don't realize they do it half the time. They're not the absolute worst about it though, in fact some days they're better than others, but still, it's a problem for me. It is true though that they know I hate it, but again, it don't do any good to say something about it because sometimes they will do it even more just to annoy me and even if they do stop, it won't be long before they start doing it again. :rolleyes:

My classmate on the other hand is downright obnoxious about it and he is the epitome of everything I can't stand about it. Unfortunately I doubt anyone ever told him not to do it when he was growing up, so it's probably natural to him now. :indiff:
Happens with my brother as well. He thinks it's totally normal.
Ironically my brother is about the same way. I remember when I was 8, my brother would sit at the bar and I used to purposely sit away from him during breakfast because he would do this and I couldn't stand it, so I sat at the table instead. Weirdly, I think I did it so much back then, that even now at the age of 25, I still have a tendency to do it even though my brother is never around in the mornings anymore.

Last edited:
Eh, I want to say yes, however to be fair, which I hate to say this, but I think some people have bigger mouths and stronger jaws than others and it's possible they may be incapable of chewing certain foods with their mouths closed at times. This is not a problem I have, but I can imagine other people do. Still, it would be great if people didn't chew with their mouth open period.

My post is mainly directed at those that can chew with their mouths closed, but don't. (and yes I know my family and my classmate is capable of doing so)
Really good point. I know some people who can't chew hard stuff without opening their mouths, but at least they cover their mouth with their hands. I'm not sure if this is also the norm in other countries, but I hope it is

Your thread, your rules
This is something that confuses me. When the OP says something like "my thread" or somebody else calls it "your thread". I had always assumed that the terms of service would specify that all content posted herein is owned by GTP. On checking that, just now, I don't see anything of that nature. I've even seen the site owner, @Jordan, use terms like "your thread" in the site support forum.
As I said, it confuses me. Who owns the content?

This is something that confuses me. When the OP says something like "my thread" or somebody else calls it "your thread". I had always assumed that the terms of service would specify that all content posted herein is owned by GTP.
As far as who owns the content, I'm not sure. I guess I won't be posting any of my songs I've written on here in case it becomes a Top 40 Hit that Jordan claims the rights for and makes millions... :lol: Only kidding.

As far as the rules per thread, I'd say it's entirely up to the OP, unless it violates the rules/AUP. And/or a moderator makes an executive decision, which isn't always very likely to happen.

My reasoning for it being up to the OP is because of the "Staying On Topic Rule." Not sure what it is really called, but many threads get locked due to a lack of staying on topic. Surely you wouldn't want people talking about their favorite jokes in this thread of yours, right?

I think what I just said makes sense, but I'm not entirely sure that it did. I have a solid thought process behind this, I just don't know how to put it into words.

Surely you wouldn't want people talking about their favorite jokes in this thread of yours, right?
I would think it was weird but I don't feel like I'm in charge of something I wrote on a site that I knew was somebody else's job/property.
I think what I just said makes sense, but I'm not entirely sure that it did. I have a solid thought process behind this, I just don't know how to put it into words.
It does make sense, it's just not how I approach my usage of GTP.

This is something that confuses me. When the OP says something like "my thread" or somebody else calls it "your thread". I had always assumed that the terms of service would specify that all content posted herein is owned by GTP. On checking that, just now, I don't see anything of that nature. I've even seen the site owner, @Jordan, use terms like "your thread" in the site support forum.
As I said, it confuses me. Who owns the content?
The poster "owns" the content, but by posting it here, the user grants GTPlanet permission to use that content in perpetuity. From the Acceptable Use Policy:

By posting any content to the forums covered by intellectual property rights, including text, photos, and videos, you grant GTPlanet a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and fully sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology.

As for who "owns" a thread, that's really just a matter of semantics. We allow users to define basic rules for threads, or specify how they want threads to be used, so long as the requests are reasonable and they are in the best interest of the community at large. If they use that to abuse other members or take things too far, then yes, of course, the moderators ultimately have the final say.

Back