Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
I am naturally a bit clumsy. I respect my stuff well enough, but sometimes my hands just dont want to work right. I also have a 12 and a 2 year old, both of which have a tendency to do weird random things, like coming out of nowhere to hug you or something along that line, and inevitably it gets knocked out of my hands. I don't use a screen protector as I make sure that my phone is in a pocket on its own. A case with good corners though, that's a must.

My case has a mostly transparent back panel. I get the protection I need and still get to see the nice blue back glass of the phone.
Oh, this discussion reminds me of the two glass screen protectors I used with my iPhone 6s. Both times, my hands got a bit wobbly, the phone started dancing between them and then I ended up driving the thing straight into the edge of my desk trying to catch it. Couldn't have been more grateful for the investments on those occasions.

Reminded me of this video:

I understand why people put on cases etc. But it is still difficult to understand what is the point for buying a phone like the iPhone bringing for a specific colour? I have a friend that always want the rosegold iPhone and everytime ends up putting on a case and probably never will see the rosegold finishing afterwards again.

That's why I have a case that's got a clear back. But, honestly, a color is just an option, not a premium. Its not like anyone is going through extraordinary measures and costs to get their phone a certain color.

I had a screen protector on a previous phone for about a year. The whole time I had touch screen response issues until one day the thing randomly cracked in my pocket without any impact or pressure at all. Peeled it off the phone and the touch screen worked flawlessly for the rest of the time I used it. I never used protectors after that.

My last phone (LG G4) had a slim rubber case around it but no screen protector. I never liked how they lost their clearness and easily become scratched. The bulky phone cases just don't slip in and out of a pocket that well either, a simply nuisance.

I did however get a set of tempered screen protectors after seeing one that my friend had for my new phone (iphone 11 pro max) and they are wonderful. No fingerprints stick on it, no scratches, and they don't lose clarity. There's no delay in touches and the front cameras/sensors work perfectly fine. If there was one thing I'd buy for a new phone instantly, it would be these. I've heard about what happens when you drop your device however that the screen protector may not crack first but the screen itself, but have yet to see that in person yet.

I don't like screen protectors there's always that 1 air bubble you can't get. I keep my phone in a case, I'm not a fan of red but every phone I get I get a red case, makes it easy to see when I put down at work somewhere(and by somewhere I mean anywhere in North GA lol). I currently have an LG Power X I've had forever. The case I have is red lol, it's siliconish and has a stand that flips out so I can set it down and watch videos. The case also helps keep the phone from sliding around, I can set it on the dash of my truck and it won't go anywhere, hell I sat it down on the back of my truck one day, I got to the next stop and it was still there! Then I can't tell you how many falls my poor phone has taken from 6+ft when I get out of the truck, it'll slip out of my hand or pocket or I'll forget it was in my lap etc... This phone would be dead if it didn't have a case. No scratches, screen isn't cracker or scratched either! Best $14 I've ever spent!

I took all the protectors and case off my phone a fair while back. They got scratched and looked crap. Somehow the screen has stayed spotless without the glass cover but the back is pitted and scratched, but it’s aluminium so no harm done.

Facebook Videos the annoying thing is the News pages and how many of them just one media company has I block few then I get five more all I want on Facebook Videos is comedians such as Rodney Dangerfield, Foster Brooks, George Carlin, and the other things I want are car racing, boat Racing, Police chases, and clips from old movies. If I wanted the News I would turn on the TV are they trying to make me block every news channel?

and please stop with the annoying music on videos.

Facebook Videos the annoying thing is the News pages and how many of them just one media company has I block few then I get five more (...)

and please stop with the annoying music on videos.
Oh, that weird fast-forward trend in DIY and recipe videos sets me on fire as well. I have no idea why the quality of Internet videos in general has managed to arc from terrible to terrible.

I get that it's decent to accommodate people on the spectrum, but they're a bit of a minority last I checked and they're not all nailed down at the mental age of 10 either.

Oh, that weird fast-forward trend in DIY and recipe videos sets me on fire as well. I have no idea why the quality of Internet videos in general has managed to arc from terrible to terrible.

I get that it's decent to accommodate people on the spectrum, but they're a bit of a minority last I checked and they're not all nailed down at the mental age of 10 either.
What is the fast forward trend and what exactly does it have to do with autism?

What is the fast forward trend and what exactly does it have to do with autism?
It's this weird production style of playing footage at about 1.3-1.5x the speed it was filmed at and placing dubstep or some royalty-free annoyance over the top. It seems to me that this is done to shorten videos and captivate people. I hate this because the pure condescension that this drips with seems to imply that everyone watching has some sort of attention deficit.

In my case, it reminds me of the time I had in school, where all of the 30-40 people who used to bully me tried to make me feel like a retard. I therefore find the whole process 🤬 disgusting to its core. It really needs to back right away from itself.

In my case, it reminds me of the time I had in school, where all of the 30-40 people who used to bully me tried to make me feel like a retard. I therefore find the whole process 🤬 disgusting to its core. It really needs to back right away from itself.

This confuses me...

Got bullied at school, therefore, speed up videos are disgusting...

Wat? Am I missing something?

If the video content was specifically discriminating against you or uncouth in some way then sure, be annoyed, by all means. But if you’re offended by the speed of a cooking video on YouTube, then maybe you should reconsider your priorities in life.

I’m certain that those content creators didn’t speed up their footage just to piss you off.

This confuses me...

Got bullied at school, therefore, speed up videos are disgusting...

Wat? Am I missing something?

If the video content was specifically discriminating against you or uncouth in some way then sure, be annoyed, by all means. But if you’re offended by the speed of a cooking video on YouTube, then maybe you should reconsider your priorities in life.

I’m certain that those content creators didn’t speed up their footage just to piss you off.
No, you're right - I'm not really a thing to the people who create those videos and there's probably not any malicious intent.

I suppose the mental connection I'm oversimplifying slightly is that it feels like the way the videos are made and the unnaturally tight pacing that results is overly-biased toward people with a very short concentration span. Since I'm often targeted with them, it feels like I'm getting lumped into something that's almost deliberately insulting or ridiculous.

The same effect that I experienced, but on a much larger scale, played out when I was heavily ostracised at school because people were severely impatient with me and the teachers would push me into all sorts of special-needs groups and send me home for a day whenever I retaliated against all the bull they were shovelling onto me.

So I look at those videos and all the other dross of the same kind that gets pushed out and end up thinking 'Christ, I've scrolled down to the thick table again'. The parallels are admittedly vague at best, but it's all of the above and curiosity about why they would intentionally ruin a tutorial with hideously unappealing stylistic choices that I find both confusing and annoying.

Those videos are also disgusting because they are practically unwatchable without suffering some form of panic attack.

Still, this is just a really close look at a thought process that happens for maybe five minutes at best, every other day or so.

I suppose the mental connection I'm oversimplifying slightly is that it feels like the way the videos are made and the unnaturally tight pacing that results is overly-biased toward people with a very short concentration span.

Personally, I prefer tutorial videos that are sped up somewhat. If I’m finding out how to do something relatively simple I don’t want to listen to several minutes of bull and sit through unnecessary explanations. When I come across videos with loads of fluff I usually end up skipping most of it and just watching the short part that is actually relevant.

As for the crappy background music though, there’s a mute button for that.

WhatsApp Family once you join you can't leave my family got it because half family has Android mobiles and other half has Apple mobiles and it was supposed to be just for family events not all this other rubbish.

Oh, that weird fast-forward trend in DIY and recipe videos sets me on fire as well.

Much to the production is shown in "fast forward" for most repair, maintenance, crafting, cooking, and baking videos for a reason. The video would take a lot longer, repetitive actions are dull to watch if they're very basic. The sped-up action is arguably eye-catching and also implies simplicity to a novice and expert alike. Lastly, people prefer a shorter video than a longer one; a presentation that seeks to not bore the audience is important.

Still, it bugs me if a critical step is left out in a video; say, if something is already partially disassembled but there's no previous video nor how-to instructions to get to that step or process...

(Now parge the lath!)

Much to the production is shown in "fast forward" for most repair, maintenance, crafting, cooking, and baking videos for a reason. The video would take a lot longer, repetitive actions are dull to watch if they're very basic. The sped-up action is arguably eye-catching and also implies simplicity to a novice and expert alike. Lastly, people prefer a shorter video than a longer one; a presentation that seeks to not bore the audience is important.

Still, it bugs me if a critical step is left out in a video; say, if something is already partially disassembled but there's no previous video nor how-to instructions to get to that step or process...

(Now parge the lath!)
I wasnt going to chime in, but well, this was what my retort would have been. Most of the diy stuff I watch, we are talking about projects that take hours, if not days. Idk about you, but A, I dont want to sit through all that. If I were a content creator, I wouldn't want to try editing a video that long, let alone try to upload it. And if I were a content creator, I would want to maximize my effort and revenue. Making two or three shorter videos that will bring in the most views. Not many people are trying to watch someone turn a wooden vase for 4 hours. That same video condensed down to 15 minutes will drawn in far more people, making the creator more ad money, with likely a fair bit less effort and back end time investment.

(Now parge the lath!)
I see what you're saying, but I'm much more a diagrams and jumpcuts man myself - plus I like a video producer to actually put some work into presenting on camera or in audio rather than watching something unengaging rush by without much to supplement beyond some sparsely hashed-out captions.

In the cooking sphere, I'd say that personalities such as Quang Tran and Adam Ragusea pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as pacing, information and engagement goes, without resorting to fast-forward or music. From my viewpoint, you're going to be spending as long with the video as the project, so why shorten it up and make it harder to make mental bookmarks?

Edit: Lean in 15 is also good at getting people to cook full-on meals with videos that barely clear the 20-second mark at a stretch - and he just films the steps that he follows without showing any of the cooking that happens in between.

Why do I keep getting ads for jobs I'm not qualified for Facebook? Well I am qualified in the imaginary world of American Truck Simulator and Car Mechanic Simulator. People who post ads on Facebook should ask for the money back.

I only voted in one category (best post) because I wasn't on GTP in 2019 as much as I would have liked & therefore didn't have as much knowledge of what had gone on as normal. If I'd realised the awards were in jeopardy I would have voted in every category.

Incidentally this is the post I voted for.
I saw a better post earlier in the year, a truly great post in fact. However it was very personal and was in the premium only section so I wasn't sure if the person it was aimed at would want it made more public. It was the post with very strong advice on not being a drunk.

Back