Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
It was the post with very strong advice on not being a drunk.

My votes, unfortunately, were submitted while under the influence. I voted for myself for something, Foolkiller for something else and Ron Jeremy for “Longest Member”; something at the time I thought was funny. If arseholism was a paid profession I’d never fear for unemployment.

Does make me wonder if the post you voted for was a response to my awful alcoholism by Famine’s genuinely sobering (pun maybe intended) scolding response.

Does make me wonder if the post you voted for was a response to my awful alcoholism by Famine’s genuinely sobering (pun maybe intended) scolding response.
That's the one. I didn't nominate it in case you didn't want it to leave the Infield.

That's the one. I didn't nominate it in case you didn't want it to leave the Infield.

My self- destruction is never something I’ve kept quiet, though I appreciate your discretion.

And as critical as the post was, I can’t deny what was said as reasonable advice. As an off handed comment it may have come across as harsh, but for me, truly knowing what the message was behind the post, it spoke of disappointment and anger, which, I believe, comes from a place of concern. If not for me then for those that my alcoholism affects.

My self- destruction is never something I’ve kept quiet, though I appreciate your discretion.

And as critical as the post was, I can’t deny what was said as reasonable advice. As an off handed comment it may have come across as harsh, but for me, truly knowing what the message was behind the post, it spoke of disappointment and anger, which, I believe, comes from a place of concern. If not for me then for those that my alcoholism affects.
It looked to me like an attempt to help you. And the people around you.

That was the impression that I got also.

I often wish it was a simple as somebody older and wiser laying down some home truths to cure the illness.
I believe the only cure is to want it for yourself, and having the intestinal fortitude to follow through with quitting. As far as I know, having kicked a couple of addictions myself and seeing others do the same, be it pills (that was my big addiction) alcohol, sex, whatever, that's really the only "trick." First you have to want to quit, then you need to have the will to force yourself to push through the physical and break withdrawls. I personally find the mental portion the hardest to deal with. Separating the habit from the routine.

I’m so split between wanting to give up and enjoying the moment. It’s the same for me for nicotine, alcohol, violence, and all sorts of vices.

If I was truly willing, deep down inside, to pass up on drinking, I’m sure I would manage. However, I’m not sure that I can get over that. At least not at the current time.

I’m so split between wanting to give up and enjoying the moment. It’s the same for me for nicotine, alcohol, violence, and all sorts of vices.

If I was truly willing, deep down inside, to pass up on drinking, I’m sure I would manage. However, I’m not sure that I can get over that. At least not at the current time.
Simpsons6x13.jpg

Now, this applies very much more to the 'confuse' part of the title here.

As many of us know, GT Sport has many informative menu cards but the inclusion of some of the historical events is just baffling.

The one that really gets me is the Panama Papers leak card. Nice picture of a yacht (not a car), yes, and a delightfully brief and easily read summary (not about cars) of the, yes, pretty significant event in modern history (not of cars, mind you), but umm, why exactly is this in a racing game?

Which is the most bafflingly out of place in your opinions?

Now, this applies very much more to the 'confuse' part of the title here.

As many of us know, GT Sport has many informative menu cards but the inclusion of some of the historical events is just baffling.

The one that really gets me is the Panama Papers leak card. Nice picture of a yacht (not a car), yes, and a delightfully brief and easily read summary (not about cars) of the, yes, pretty significant event in modern history (not of cars, mind you), but umm, why exactly is this in a racing game?

Which is the most bafflingly out of place in your opinions?

I just don't understand why this game has none motorsport historical events I wish they gave us a choice of turning it off or have a Retro Gran Turismo 4 Menu.

20/20 is not perfect vision. Why do people think it is? Not only does it not pertain to all aspects of eyesight, it indicates only that one's vision clarity is exactly average. If you have 20/20 vision, you can distinguish, at 20 feet, objects that the average person can distinguish...at 20 feet.

I don't know what the card says since it's been a minute since I've fired up the game, but there were a few racing drivers involved with the Panama Papers. I know Nico Rosberg was among them.

I don't know what the card says since it's been a minute since I've fired up the game, but there were a few racing drivers involved with the Panama Papers. I know Nico Rosberg was among them.
Interesting, thanks.

Doubly interesting is that the card fails to mention this. Touchy subject I suppose...

20/20 is not perfect vision. Why do people think it is? Not only does it not pertain to all aspects of eyesight, it indicates only that one's vision clarity is exactly average. If you have 20/20 vision, you can distinguish, at 20 feet, objects that the average person can distinguish...at 20 feet.
Hindsight is average.

Having very poor vision myself, I'd love to see what the AVERAGE person sees.

I’ve often wondered why 4K HD super duper TVs are so popular when (I assume) it’s only a small fraction (the wealthy) of a small fraction (exceptional vision)that can enjoy them fully.

I’ve often wondered why 4K HD super duper TVs are so popular when (I assume) it’s only a small fraction (the wealthy) of a small fraction (exceptional vision)that can enjoy them fully.

I can see the difference between a 'Full HD' (1080) picture and a 4K picture quite clearly on anything above a 40" screen, but in my local John Lewis i've done a casual side-by-side test between a 4K and an 8K picture (on 65" screens - showing different 'native' demos) and i struggled to notice any discernible difference in clarity. Perhaps if you went for an even larger screen you'd start to see an improvement - but who really has the space for anything over 65"?

This is the thing. My eyesight is better than 20/20 (despite the rest of my functions being pants) and I’ve stood at a tv store and watched the 4K screens and noticed a discernible difference. However, people I’m with, without great eyesight, can tell that there’s any benefit from an 8k over a 4K over a full HD and so on.

So really, in my mind, the only people that get a clarity advantage from a modern, high tech resolution, are the wealthy that can afford it, and those amongst them that have the eyesight to make it worth while, which is probably a small percentage.

This is the thing. My eyesight is better than 20/20 (despite the rest of my functions being pants) and I’ve stood at a tv store and watched the 4K screens and noticed a discernible difference. However, people I’m with, without great eyesight, can tell that there’s any benefit from an 8k over a 4K over a full HD and so on.
Considering that 4K is really something more noticeable on larger TV's, it makes sense that 8K would be fairly harder to make out the differences sincethe usual showrooms you visit when purchasing don't have many TV's large enough to really see it. For me, I think 4K will be enough for a good while, since my TV is only 55".

4K TV's right now are actually really affordable.

So really, in my mind, the only people that get a clarity advantage from a modern, high tech resolution, are the wealthy that can afford it, and those amongst them that have the eyesight to make it worth while, which is probably a small percentage.
That's usually how it starts, and then as the years go by the price starts trickling down to really affordable levels. It usually happens pretty fast too. It actually amazes me how fast it seems to happen sometimes, just a few years ago if I had looked for a TV similar to what I have now it likely would have cost a pretty penny.

just a few years ago if I had looked for a TV similar to what I have now it likely would have cost a pretty penny.
In 2012 when I was buying my current house, I looked at 4k projectors for my theater room. The first result that came up on Google was ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. I showed that to my wife and was immediately met with a "hell no".

Now, most 4k projectors are below $3k.

TB
In 2012 when I was buying my current house, I looked at 4k projectors for my theater room. The first result that came up on Google was ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. I showed that to my wife and was immediately met with a "hell no".

Now, most 4k projectors are below $3k.
I remember working at Circuit City as 1080P displays and TV's started becoming a thing. I was blown away by how expensive some of the stuff was. It's funny seeing how cheap that resolution actually is now.

If my understanding is correct, the non-car events were included as a kind of parallel point of reference for the car events. If you look at any manufacturer timeline, their events are listed alongside, but across the line from, world events. Sort'a just like saying, "hey, Nissan did this around the same time as this happened. So interesting..." I find myself engaged by it sometimes, but I can see how most players might see it as wasted effort in a car game.

By the way, where the heck is the Honda museum?:grumpy:

I'm getting annoyed by the recent YouTube trend of people playing certain games, and "liking" only makes a game go faster. I learned what the heck Chrome Dinosaur is, and I realize it's an endless runner. Endless runners don't interest me at all. I'm sorry. Even when I say I'm Not Interested in the video, I still get those recommendations. It used to be that you could completely not get requests to get certain channels in your "Recommended for You" feed. YouTube has since gotten rid of that unless you get recommendations from the YouTube home screen that you don't want recommendations from. All of this just annoys me to no end on YouTube.

It's been over a year since my dad died and the VA is STILL sending him the same letter stating that they can't cover his hospital bills. Such a wonderful example of tax dollars being efficiently utilized. What a joke.

As i generally sit in slow moving or stationary traffic on a daily basis, i get increasingly annoyed at our countries number/licence plate fitters inability to place number plates straightly. You had ONE job. For those outside of the UK, our plates are long, slim and made of plastic (white at the front and yellow on the rear of a vehicle) They are either attached via two screws or just stuck on with strong double-sided adhesive pads. I get that sometimes the adhesive pads may slip on one side which could lead to a slightly uneven appearance, but when someone has had to go to the trouble of drilling holes through a plate to align with the manufacturers pre-drilled holes in the bodywork do they not think to use a tape measure? It's not just replacement plates (they brake quite easily in parking or slow-moving collisions) but i frequently see it on main-dealer supplied cars, even the more premium ones. Why do dealerships let vehicles go like this and why do the owners put up with such obviously sloppy workmanship?

Latest Posts

Back