Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
What annoys and confuses me at the same time is that in so many 1st world countries with good education systems people can't or can barely speak English to a degree where basic communication is possible. And I'm talking about people in the age range of 20-35, not old timers, with the majority of them working in tourism or businesses.
For example, I have been to France where communication was exceptionally difficult because nobody spoke neither English nor German, at all, and that with taxi drivers right at the train station and the airport, even officials, police and restaurant staff. Thankfully I speak a little French. In Italy it was pretty much the same story, just as in CZ ( and also non-Europe Japan, although to a lesser degree). I also have business contacts in Portugal where communication still proves difficult, I have only two contacts that speak either German or English, if they aren't around and things need to move quickly madness and confusion ensues.

What gives?

The only European country I have ever visited where the locals spoke good to near-fluent English was Iceland, and as far as I'm aware in the northern countries the situation is considerably better.

English is relatively easy to learn by nearly anyone's standard and I find it so important even in my daily life, I just need it all the time. I just don't get it, its almost 2020, language barriers should not really exist anymore in 1st world countries, or am I missing something? :boggled:

What annoys and confuses me at the same time is that in so many 1st world countries with good education systems people can't or can barely speak English to a degree where basic communication is possible. And I'm talking about people in the age range of 20-35, not old timers, with the majority of them working in tourism or businesses.
For example, I have been to France where communication was exceptionally difficult because nobody spoke neither English nor German, at all, and that with taxi drivers right at the train station and the airport, even officials, police and restaurant staff. Thankfully I speak a little French. In Italy it was pretty much the same story, just as in CZ ( and also non-Europe Japan, although to a lesser degree). I also have business contacts in Portugal where communication still proves difficult, I have only two contacts that speak either German or English, if they aren't around and things need to move quickly madness and confusion ensues.

What gives?

The only European country I have ever visited where the locals spoke good to near-fluent English was Iceland, and as far as I'm aware in the northern countries the situation is considerably better.

English is relatively easy to learn by nearly anyone's standard and I find it so important even in my daily life, I just need it all the time. I just don't get it, its almost 2020, language barriers should not really exist anymore in 1st world countries, or am I missing something? :boggled:
You're mad that people living non English speaking countries dont speak English? Idk if it's the same in France, but I know there are areas around the french sections of Canada that the locals abhor English and English speakers.

You're mad that people living non English speaking countries dont speak English? Idk if it's the same in France, but I know there are areas around the french sections of Canada that the locals abhor English and English speakers.
Simplifying things, are we?

Mad would be too hard a of a word for what I'm feeling, the thread title ''confused and annoyed'' does fit really well.

I'm talking mainly about people in positions that would really require some English capabilities, living in developed 1st world countries where it is supposed to be taught in schools. English is THE official international language afterall.

It just seems to me that in quite a lot developed countries people cannot be bothered to properly learn the official internationally spoken language so they can communicate with foreigners, or write posts on international forms etc. - and all that after being taught that very language in school. Now that IS confusing and annoying to me.

Last edited:
What confuses and annoys me?

Applying for new careers! This stuff man.... Oh my goodness, I hate it. So stressful.

I really hate when they leave you in the dark with the whole process too. If you're not interested in my employment, just hit me with an automated message, don't leave me in the dark.

Last edited:
What confuses and annoys me?

Applying for new careers! This stuff man.... Oh my goodness, I hate it. So stressful.

I really hate when they leave you in the dark with the whole process too. If you're not interested in my employment, just hit me with an automated message, don't leave me in the dark.

Or how about when you interview with someone and they say you'll hear back after a week, but then a week and a half there is no response :/

And then you follow up with them and don't get a reply....

🤬:banghead:🤬:banghead:🤬:banghead::nervous::(

Ending declarative sentences with question marks. When did this become the acceptable norm? Also, using "actually" when stating opinions.
Am I just getting old?

Ending declarative sentences with question marks. When did this become the acceptable norm? Also, using "actually" when stating opinions.
Am I just getting old?
I've successfully ignored it for a while now, but it used to drive me bonkers. I still can't ignore upspeak at the end of a statement, however.

Or how about when you interview with someone and they say you'll hear back after a week, but then a week and a half there is no response :/

And then you follow up with them and don't get a reply....

🤬:banghead:🤬:banghead:🤬:banghead::nervous::(
I got a job as a math tutor at my high school some time after graduating. Went through the whole extensive background check and fingerprinting at the local police dept. School district loops on loops to jump through. Took about two weeks of running around, filling paperwork, and about $80 out of my wallet.

Finally was done and the district told me I would get a phone call from the school. Waited two more weeks before I got worried and went directly to the school. They told me I was supposed to show up the day after I finished at the district. I said nope to this cluster:censored: of wasted resources and miscommunication and just went home and never went back.

Here's where it gets good. About five years later I got a call stating that they had a pile of paychecks that I hadn't claimed. I told the woman I hadn't worked a day for them and she was quite confused for a bit before she accepted what I said and hung up.:lol:

Here's where it gets good. About five years later I got a call stating that they had a pile of paychecks that I hadn't claimed. I told the woman I hadn't worked a day for them and she was quite confused for a bit before she accepted what I said and hung up.:lol:

1. How does an employer wait five years before wondering why paychecks are going unclaimed?

2. You should have just taken them :lol:

Last edited:
Adult people filming (streaming) their selves playing video games in their rooms/basements I find disturbing not to mention I found out many people watching that content..

For example, I have been to France where communication was exceptionally difficult because nobody spoke neither English nor German, at all, and that with taxi drivers right at the train station and the airport, even officials, police and restaurant staff.

Oh. They all understand and speak English, they just like to play dumb and pretend they can't. They're just bummed that English became the widely used language and French didn't.

1. How does an employer wait five years before wondering why paychecks are going unclaimed?

2. You should have just taken them :lol:
1. All the more reason I'm glad I walked away.:lol:

2. I didn't want to get nailed on fraud charges later on. I'm too honest.

2. I didn't want to get nailed on fraud charges later on. I'm too honest
Aren't these two separate things? If you're honest, you're honest; if you didn't want to get in trouble...you're a chicken.

/s

Adult people filming (streaming) their selves playing video games in their rooms/basements I find disturbing not to mention I found out many people watching that content..
Honestly, I find a stream or video much more enjoyable when it's an adult, good situated person who streams a gameplay rather than watching teenagers yelling at the monitor.

I know I'm an idiot

Honestly, I find a stream or video much more enjoyable when it's an adult, good situated person who streams a gameplay rather than watching teenagers yelling at the monitor.

I know I'm an idiot
You're not an idiot, nor alone. I watch a lot of youtube. DIY makers, gamers, etc. I mean, personally, it seems kinda silly to berate someone for being an adult who makes videos of themselves playing video games, while being an adult on a forum dedicated to video games.
I definitely appreciate watching games my age, as opposed to their teens or twenties, because I can relate more to them. They talk about pop culture from a time I grew up, make jokes I get, and generally are more mature.

Screen protector on new mobile phones I Keep thinking the scratch is on the mobile and then I take it off and can't put it back on because of air bubbles and dust it just drives me mad.

Screen protector on new mobile phones I Keep thinking the scratch is on the mobile and then I take it off and can't put it back on because of air bubbles and dust it just drives me mad.

screenprotectors for phones in general. Your payin $$$ for a phone, just to put a $ screenprotector on top of it. To me it is like wearing glasses, not to see better, but just to protect your eyes.

screenprotectors for phones in general. Your payin $$$ for a phone, just to put a $ screenprotector on top of it. To me it is like wearing glasses, not to see better, but just to protect your eyes.

Yes it is like wearing glasses, not to see better in my case the screen protector was already on mobile when I bought maybe it's just cheap plastic cover and not real screen protector.

Yes it is like wearing glasses, not to see better in my case the screen protector was already on mobile when I bought maybe it's just cheap plastic cover and not real screen protector.
Yeah, the ones that come on the phone are generally only meant to be on the screen during shipping and handling. They are just some cheap plastic pieces that will scratch very easily. You will want to invest in some proper glass screen protectors.

I usually double down with a screen protector and a case. Couldn't do that combo on my S8+ though so I only had an Otterbox. Survived many falls at various angles where it SHOULD have broken, and then a light drop at The Home Depot cracks my screen :grumpy:

I don't mishandle my phones to the extent that I'd need additional protection. That said, I do utilize a case...but then that's for convenience.
I don't either but that's clearly not the case with the amount of times I've dropped the darn thing.

I don't mishandle my phones to the extent that I'd need additional protection. That said, I do utilize a case...but then that's for convenience.

I have used my phone "naked" since the Iphone 4. You buy a phone for its beautiful appearance with glass and metal and then put a rubber/plastic case over it. Doesnt make sense to me. (exceptions are phones with a cheaper exterior)

I don't either but that's clearly not the case with the amount of times I've dropped the darn thing.
I've never dropped a phone. I don't know if it's a matter of others not doing so, and that's why these things happen more often to them, but I tend to have more respect for my possessions and the money I spent to acquire them.

What annoys me is my willingness to allow others to use my things having diminished as a result of respect not being shown for them. I mean, it's one thing to not respect your own things, but if you are permitted to use something that belongs to someone else, that respect should be a priority.

You buy a phone for its beautiful appearance
I don't. It's a tool and I use it precisely as that.

I only seem to want a screen protector when I buy a new mobile phone then it gets dirty and has air in it then I remove and don't bother buying another one because by then I have already had the mobile phone for long time. I'm just hopeless at getting them on and Sim cards drive me mad so do SD cards, I miss the days of Nokia.

I know people who have had 3 mobile phones since I have had my Samsung Galaxy S5 I now have a OPPO Reno Z I keep mobile phones for years.

Last edited:
I don't. It's a tool and I use it precisely as that.

I meant one of the reasons to buy a phone. But I agree its mainly a tool, but many also buy it for appearance as well. It doens make sense to buy a mercedes or a Rolex watch and put a silicone case on it.

I've never dropped a phone. I don't know if it's a matter of others not doing so, and that's why these things happen more often to them, but I tend to have more respect for my possessions and the money I spent to acquire them.

It's always my phone with me, and it's with the S8+ only. I never dropped S7 Edge. I guess it's the greater size and bulkier case attached to it.

What annoys me is my willingness to allow others to use my things having diminished as a result of respect not being shown for them. I mean, it's one thing to not respect your own things, but if you are permitted to use something that belongs to someone else, that respect should be a priority.
It's a necessity, you can't trust everyone. No matter how qualified they seem to do so.

I don't lend my belongings to anyone. I did however ask my friend, a fellow photographer, to temporarily hold onto my DSLR while I got some equipment out of my trunk. That friend promptly dropped my camera with the lens attached at a height of about 4 feet.

Thankfully no damage was caused to the lens internals nor the internal ring of the body.

I am naturally a bit clumsy. I respect my stuff well enough, but sometimes my hands just dont want to work right. I also have a 12 and a 2 year old, both of which have a tendency to do weird random things, like coming out of nowhere to hug you or something along that line, and inevitably it gets knocked out of my hands. I don't use a screen protector as I make sure that my phone is in a pocket on its own. A case with good corners though, that's a must.
I meant one of the reasons to buy a phone. But I agree its mainly a tool, but many also buy it for appearance as well. It doens make sense to buy a mercedes or a Rolex watch and put a silicone case on it.
My case has a mostly transparent back panel. I get the protection I need and still get to see the nice blue back glass of the phone.

I am naturally a bit clumsy. I respect my stuff well enough, but sometimes my hands just dont want to work right. I also have a 12 and a 2 year old, both of which have a tendency to do weird random things, like coming out of nowhere to hug you or something along that line, and inevitably it gets knocked out of my hands.

Reminded me of this video:

I understand why people put on cases etc. But it is still difficult to understand what is the point for buying a phone like the iPhone bringing for a specific colour? I have a friend that always want the rosegold iPhone and everytime ends up putting on a case and probably never will see the rosegold finishing afterwards again.

Back