Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel Thread

Are the stock pedals good enough or do you use something else?

• Yes, stock pedals are good enough

Votes: 111 33.9%
  • No, I use Thrustmaster TP3A or third-party pedals

Votes: 216 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really, though -- from a sim racing standpoint, a clutch pedal is undeniably cool to have, but it's also the least-used and least-realistic element of ANY pedal set (and I would include anything from Fanatec or any of the high-end third-party pedals in that "least-realistic" assessment).

And yet we geek out over that oh-so-cool third pedal, and gripe about it being a deal-breaker when it's not included.

We sim racers are a fickle and l33t bunch, aren't we?

;)

Really, though -- from a sim racing standpoint, a clutch pedal is undeniably cool to have, but it's also the least-used and least-realistic element of ANY pedal set (and I would include anything from Fanatec or any of the high-end third-party pedals in that "least-realistic" assessment).

And yet we geek out over that oh-so-cool third pedal, and gripe about it being a deal-breaker when it's not included.

We sim racers are a fickle and l33t bunch, aren't we?

;)

It is still something nice to have for any of those H-pattern users. The clutch for the G27 pedals is easily good enough for me. If I had the money I would totally upgrade to something 'nicer' and with more metal construction (metal ftw \m/ ) but still, the T300 pedals are no better than even the DFGT pedals, and I'd say that like headphones that come with phones, are in need of replacement.

I like thinking of it as a wheel+base such as the Fanatec Porsche wheels, but these Just give you some pedals for the sake of ready to play. I'd still never be okay with settling for these ones.

LFS do have a decent clutch simulation but other then that most simulations don´t focus much on that part which perhaps reflect in the lack of focus from developers on it.

I am an avid LFB it´s just to much micro to heal and toe I don´t enjoy it at all. Which is why I got a pair of super expensive pedals that don´t even have a clutch ;). (HE Sim Ultimates). Their clutch look about as good as it get though it´s not that :)

But yes it´s nice and it don´t hurt though the luxury of not having a clutch is that I can really space my brake and throttle apart. They are lumped to close together in most clutch cars to give room for the clutch :)

Why is this called the t300rs? is it somehow lesser than the t500? or is this the t500s successor? been waiting over a year for thrustys new pswheel. Does anyone know if the tx has fast countersteer spin like the t500

Why is this called the t300rs? is it somehow lesser than the t500? or is this the t500s successor? been waiting over a year for thrustys new pswheel. Does anyone know if the tx has fast countersteer spin like the t500

I don't doubt the power of brushless motors. I would think that if a TX could do it (which I don't know for sure) then this wheel should do it just as well.

I have seen one plot on internet which showed the TX with a slightly slower change of direction but a slightly faster spin speed than the T500RS. Not sure which rims were used,though.... Definitely much faster than the G27 or Fanatec GT2/GT3/CSR, similar in speed to the CSR-Elite or CSW but different plot shape.

The T500RS GT rim weighs around 1.1kg, the 458GTE rim weighs 1.25kg (paddle shifters add more weight than the smaller rim removes). The stock TX Ferrari rim is probably much lighter and would therefore allow faster spin speed (at the cost of being less sturdy of course)

Then you should be pretty happy about the T300 stock rim -- as oqvist indicated, I think it IS just the GTE F458 (GTE) rim. It looks to me like they re-worked the left spoke and the bottom spoke of the GTE F458 wheel to accommodate the same type of switches and same basic configuration as what's used on the T500 GT rim, but otherwise it does look like it's based on the smaller-diameter GTE F458 rim and not the T500 GT rim.

Oh I agree John. I have a T500 with the stock GT rim which feels a bit big but not terribly so. I have a TX with the GTE rim which I love. The T300RS as you stated looks like a modified GTE rim which is perfect. I'm likely going to end up buying a T300RS for the wheel and I may actually finally sell my T500 wheel since I prefer the TX to it and just keep the T500 pedals to use with the T300RS.

I assume you buy it for the PS3/PS 4 compability first and foremost. Otherwise the old GTE rim should still work on the T300RS unless Thrustmaster is insert obscene word here :)

I emailed thrustmaster about the wheel and selling it with different bundles (T500 pedals, or no pedals for example).. Nice of them to reply quickly but did not get the answer I was hoping for..

"The product will be available only in the form already announced on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterRacingTeam?fref=ts

If future version of it, containing the T500RS pedal set or no pedal set, will ever be created they will first be announced on both the Facebook page and our official commercial website.

We also appreciate sharing your feedback with us. This has already been forwarded to the appropriate departments to be taken into consideration in the development of the unit.
"

I assume you buy it for the PS3/PS 4 compability first and foremost. Otherwise the old GTE rim should still work on the T300RS unless Thrustmaster is insert obscene word here :)

Well the T500 is compatible with both so the reason I would consider a T300RS is because I really prefer the feel of the TX brushless motor design compared to the T500 and the T300RS looks like be a PS3/PS4 compatible version of the TX.

I have seen one plot on internet which showed the TX with a slightly slower change of direction but a slightly faster spin speed than the T500RS. Not sure which rims were used,though.... Definitely much faster than the G27 or Fanatec GT2/GT3/CSR, similar in speed to the CSR-Elite or CSW but different plot shape.

The T500RS GT rim weighs around 1.1kg, the 458GTE rim weighs 1.25kg (paddle shifters add more weight than the smaller rim removes). The stock TX Ferrari rim is probably much lighter and would therefore allow faster spin speed (at the cost of being less sturdy of course)

I have plot comparisons which someone made for me on the iRacing forums back when I bought my TX. They compared my TX with stock Italia 458 wheel and the GTE wheel vs. a couple of different wheels, the T500 included. My opinion is that regardless of what the plot shows, the TX is superior in FFB feel. Its not about analyzing numbers on a plot which are nice to look at, but don't really paint the whole picture, its about how the wheel actually feels and whether or not it adds more realism for me. For almost everyone that switched from a Fanatec or T500 wheel to a TX, they preferred the feel of the TX so its subjective regardless of the plots.

I'm glad the brushless motors are an improvement, at least Thrustmaster is heading in a sensible direction (once the TX teething troubles subside).

Would you be willing to share that plot for those of us who are curious of the difference in spin speed between the two rims?
(Background: I find my GTE rim noticeably less able to convey tiny oscillations compared to the GT rim, wondering how much difference rim weight makes)

It make a big difference as you noted. The difference on the F458 rim and GTE is immense. It´s a good comparison since it´s the same diameter. The F1 integral rim is quite close to the F458 Italia rim in weight still it´s very easy to feel the difference in change of direction of the ffb. My 365 mm Momo Classic rim is lighter then the GTE 458 and it´s not a carbon wheel and have very thick leather and appear more solid then the GTE F458 rim.

TX does have trouble driving that also due to more leverage make me ask for even more torque and more weight then the F458 Italia and F1 integral rim. But I really gives me ridiculously over smooth steering though it´s not as noteworthy on the TX as it was on the T500RS as the TX is so much smoother.

I'm glad the brushless motors are an improvement, at least Thrustmaster is heading in a sensible direction (once the TX teething troubles subside).

Would you be willing to share that plot for those of us who are curious of the difference in spin speed between the two rims?
(Background: I find my GTE rim noticeably less able to convey tiny oscillations compared to the GT rim, wondering how much difference rim weight makes)

No doubt that the GTE rims dampens the feel slightly, the stock Italia rim is super light since its mostly plastic, you can feel everything but I just didn't like the feeling that it wasn't quite as solid as the GTE rim. When I first installed the GTE rim, I didn't like it at all, but after I got used to it, I loved it. I even tried to go back to the stock Italia rim at one point just to see if I preferred it after using the GTE rim and I immediately took it back off.

Yea, I'll get you those plots. Are you on the iRacing forum?

See if that link works for you. That was based on my TX wheel with the stock rim and the GTE rim at stock control panel settings.

Anyone see if it has a headphone jack like the ps4 controller has?

Kinda nice you can put all audio out the controller headphone jack in case you don't have one on your tv.

From the day I heard about the T300RS Wheel being announced to be compatible with the new Playstation 4 console, this kind of left me with a sad impression that my current wheel (Logitech G25) and many other Playstation 3 users wheels (including the T500RS and Driving Force GT). On the other hand, if this is to be the case, I do have very high hopes for this new wheel that Thrustmaster are releasing (the T300RS of course). I will highly consider purchasing this wheel as an upgrade to my Logitech G25 wheel that I have been running for over five years and is still going strong (maybe before I possibly even think about purchasing a Playstation 4 and still being an absolute avid GT6 user). For this to be the case, I would like to see it cover achievement to these three following points:

Performance - And by this, I mean for it to perform pretty much as well as the Thrustmaster T500RS can in terms of Force Feedback, Precision, Smoothness, etc. I have read reports about the new TX wheel for the Xbox One feeling as good as the T500RS, so there will be no reason why the T300RS cannot do this. The TX is just above half the price of the T500RS, it is just allot cheaper build quality, but the T300RS will come in more expensive than the TX, so build quality should be as good as the T500RS, considering that it is almost the same price with it coming bundled with a cheaper pedal set and smaller rim. I have heard many reports about TX wheels breaking down after a few hours use, which hopefully will not be an issue with the T300RS, so hopefully Thrustmaster have learned their lesson here. With the T300RS having the cheaper 2-pedal setup, a smaller 11-inch wheel and almost the same price as a T500RS, there hopefully should be no issues here for the T300RS.

Compatibility - With me doing some extensive research on this wheel, it appears that the Thrustmaster T300RS is not only going to be compatible with Playstation 4, but also the older last generation Playstation 3 console. This is very good news because users will still be able to play titles such as Gran Turismo 6 with the new wheel. This should also increase sales because more people are likely to buy something that are more backwards compatible, so that it will work with older technology and not just the newer systems. If the T300RS will be backwards compatible with PS3, it is possible that it will enter some kind of emulation mode for a T500RS wheel (which what most PS3 simulators such as GT6 should recognize it as), or they could add official support for Gran Turismo 6 itself, but my favorite option would be replication of a Logitech G25/27 wheel (like the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel did), because it would work with older and brilliant arcade racing titles such as Racer Driver Grid 1 and DiRT 2 which I still occasionally play believe it or not, but even if it didn't still support them, it wouldn't be too much of an issue to me now.

Besides backwards compatibility with the last generation Playstation, we must also consider the future as well as the past and present more importantly. If this wheel is to be compatible with the Playstation 4's mainstream racing titles, such as Gran Turismo 7, the upcoming Project CARS, DRIVECLUB, CREW and all of the upcoming Need for Speed games, I would also make purchasing this wheel a consideration. This will be THE FIRST EVER wheel for the Playstation 4, it would be awesome if this peripheral was to prove successful and at least be better than a Logitech G25/27, but you must remember that only Thrustmaster and the game developers can make this happen.

Upgradability - As this has already happened to the Thrustmaster T500RS and TX racing wheels, there is no reason for why this should happen to the T300RS. The TX is expecting future add-ons such as the T3PA pedal set and T8A shifter. If these were to be compatible with the T300RS (or even the original T500RS pedals and TH8RS, this would also be another consideration for me to purchase this wheel. It would also be nice to see it have interchangeable rims as well.

So overall, if the T300RS was to meat the criteria of these three points, I would definitely consider buying it and upgrading from my aging 5 year old Logitech G25 wheel. I HOPE THRUSTMASTER ARE LISTENING! :D

T80 was the first wheel for PS4. T300 is the first proper FFB wheel (T80 is bungee cord)

We already know that the T80 and T300 will have full PS4 support, meaning they will work in the PS4 menus and as wheels in game. We also know that the T500 will work in game (drivers for the wheel are present in the PS4 operating system), but the T500 won't be able to be used in menus. This has been confirmed months ago by Driveclub devs.

At the time of writing there is still no confirmation if or when Logitech wheel drivers will be added to the PS4 operating system to use in game, but it is always possible for Logitech to decide to do so... Likewise Fanatec wheels also have no drivers, as is expected given that they used G25 compatibility mode for the PS3. Fanatec could wait and piggy-back on Logitech as with PS3 or they could get Sony to add drivers into the PS4 OS, or their new wheel hub might even be fully PS4 compatible including menu support.... They've not announced yet which option they will take.

P.S. The T300 comes with a switch between PS3 and PS4 modes, as you can read in the press release. Obviously PS3 mode will use T500 commands and drivers, to do otherwise would be silly.

P.P.S. If you actually read the press release you will notice that Thrustmaster already confirmed all wheel rims and pedal sets are compatible. Oh, and the T3PA is already released.....

Last edited:
The pedals are definitely off putting with that plastic mold base, It screams of cheap. The wheel portion of it looks really cool, even though like Simmpa I also am always looking for a bigger sized wheel.

So...from reading this thread, i gathered the T500 will work with PS4, it just won't be able to control the menus with it?

Menus as in game menus or PS4 XMB menu?

I seriously reckon that it wouldn't be too hard to make T500RS fully compatible with PS4. God knows whether it's Sony's reluctance to license some sort of PS4 adapter that will make T500RS compatible or greediness from Thrustmaster simply wanting to customers to buy a new set of wheels.

All we T500RS owners can hope for is that all racing games on PS4 will have T500RS support.

I'll probably get this wheel if my G27 ends up being totally incompatible with PS4. But I don't like how I'd have to buy the shifter and 3-pedal set separately, then end up with the regular 2-pedal set that I'm not going to use. Maybe an adapter could be made to use G27 pedals with it.

So if this is similar to the TX, is the FFB as strong as the T500RS? I read on these threads that the brushless motor and belt design are improvements over the T500RS, so I assume this wheel would feel better, but does it generate as much torque?

I'll probably get this wheel if my G27 ends up being totally incompatible with PS4. But I don't like how I'd have to buy the shifter and 3-pedal set separately, then end up with the regular 2-pedal set that I'm not going to use. Maybe an adapter could be made to use G27 pedals with it.

So if this is similar to the TX, is the FFB as strong as the T500RS? I read on these threads that the brushless motor and belt design are improvements over the T500RS, so I assume this wheel would feel better, but does it generate as much torque?
From what I've been told no. The feel and smoothness is better but it doesn't have the same level as torque. There are a couple guys here that have both so they could answer better.

I just did some Googling, and found that the TX has slightly less torque, but it's still more than adequate. And the TX is still way stronger than the G27, which I'm pretty satisfied with already. When PCARS comes out and I get a PS4, I might have to consider upgrading to this wheel even if my G27 works. This wheel is actually looking better and better.

I also just found, after some Googling, that there are already adapters on the market to use G27 pedals and shifter with Thrustmaster wheels.

Last edited:
I don´t think you can say the torque is adequate unless it fully simulate the torque found in real cars.

Otherwise subjectively you could suggest the G27 has way to much torque at 10 % ffb too and be right :)

My T500RS and TX clips constantly in high speed corners and going over kerbs in various PC simulations. I don´t run console sims currently. I have to set them up like that because otherwise they tend to have even less ffb then a G27 or so it feels like particularly on rims sized after real world counterparts ;). TX feels like a flywheel or something easilly with my 365 mm Momo Classic ;)

But torque is not everything. The internal resistance is quite important also and here the TX shines over the T500RS. Overall dynamic may actually be better on the TX for that reason even though I am loosing out on force feedback information due to the limited torque capabilities of it.

But I've read that a lot of people don't run full strength FFB with the T500RS anyway, because it's too strong.

But I've read that a lot of people don't run full strength FFB with the T500RS anyway, because it's too strong.
That's not what he means.

Every wheel has internal mechanisms which get in the way of free spinning. In my experience from the 4 wheels I own, the Logitech G25 has the least resistance, T500RS a bit more, DFGT and Fanatec GT2 the most (although Fanatec drift mode uses the motor to help you spin the wheel, so that disguises things a bit).

No matter how powerful the torque of the wheel, if you have to fight internal resistance (not the motor) then that affects how easily and quickly you can get the wheel where you want it, but also how quickly the wheel starts reacting to forces on it (I.e. Latency).

If the TX has less internal resistance, then in many situations it will be just that tiny fraction faster to get pointed where it needs to go, which can be the difference between holding a slide and spinning out.

Latest Posts

Back