Thrustmaster T500RS/T300 wheels thread

• Thread starter Diablo_rf
  • 593 comments
Im having the same problem. Thats what brought me here just now. Was wondering if anybody else was experiencing it. Its beyond annoying, almost unplayable. Simple turn in can feel like you fell off a cliff. Hopefully this is addressed.

T300RS wheel user here. I too find the FFB way too overblown and lacking any finesse ! Comparing it to pCARS 1 and 2 and Assetto Corsa it feels like I'm using a cheap 1990's wheel with a rumble pak attached !
There is no sense of understeer, oversteer or bumpsteer, just a constant grating / juddering sensation. With the other mentioned games, you can get a sense of weight transfer and slip when pushing too hard, with Sport you just get a constant weight on the wheel until you encounter slipping, then the juddering sets in !
Then there's the FFB "settings", all two of them ? No calibration, no deadzone adjustments, no degrees of rotation etc. Then there's the clutch (or lack of it). Not every car has a sequential gearbox so why is every single one treated the same ? We can't control our own launches or use clutch kick to initiate a drift, we can't dip the clutch to coast / correct a slide ! I'd also like to be able to use my H pattern shifter for the suitable cars, but that also seems to have been overlooked ?
Al in all, I think PD has seriously dropped the ball in regards to wheel / pedal users and have, (as usual) catered for the controller pad gamers ! I was so looking forward to Sport after the long, long wait, but I'm facing crushing disappointment. What a sad, sad way to kill off an iconic series !

Completely agree. The lack of ffb adjustments is uncalled for for sure. As far as the clutch. Mine was working day 1 of free demo cause I thought it was finicky the way it made me miss a few shifts. I swear it changed with an update.

My clutch pedal doesn't work either...

OK, I got it. From game manual:
Gear Stick and Clutch Controls
If you are using a steering wheel controller that has a gear stick (such as the Guillemot TH8 RS shifter) and a clutch pedal, please be sure to select Manual (MT) transmission from Driving Options. When you start racing, paddle shift will be selected, but you can change the mode by performing the following actions:

Using the gear stick -> The gear stick alone will become operational. (Auto-clutch mode.)
Stepping on the clutch pedal -> The gear stick and clutch will both become operational. (Full Manual Mode.)

Using paddle shift controls in either of these modes will automatically switch back to paddle shift mode.

There are certain cars, such as those with torque converters, CVT, dual clutches etc. for which a clutch pedal cannot be used even if manual transmission is available.

It's great that the vibration issue for the T500 will be fixed, but does this cover the strength of the FFB too? I had to set it to 1 last night, which I haven't done on any GT game previously, and even that was too strong. The beta earlier in the year was fine.

It's great that the vibration issue for the T500 will be fixed, but does this cover the strength of the FFB too? I had to set it to 1 last night, which I haven't done on any GT game previously, and even that was too strong. The beta earlier in the year was fine.

Based on the Logitech users feedback, the FFB is good on G29, so it might be that only Thrustmaster users experience issues with the FFB in general. Lets hope this get's fixed at release...

For those who are having issues with heavy FFB on Thrustmaster wheels, make sure you turn it down to 1 and 1 and the most important part, countersteer assistance needs to be set to "weak". Do not choose "strong" because it feels like rubbish and isn't realistic at all. "Off" has way too much damper. "Weak" is the sweet spot, not only does it lighten up the wheel allowing you to feel more FFB effects, drifting and generally sliding the cars around feels much more natural and easier.

Make sure all other assists are off too except for ABS to your taste and adjust FOV in the "detailed settings" page.

I'm using a T300RS with the 599 Alcantara wheel so you're mileage may vary depending on what wheel base and wheel rim you're using but I'm pretty confident the "weak" setting will transform your GT Sport driving experience.

Alfa 4C is an absolute delight to chuck around sideways. I love this game.

He said yes, so here´s proof.
Screenshot_20171011-215645.png
Screenshot_20171011-214602.png

Last edited:
For those who are having issues with heavy FFB on Thrustmaster wheels, make sure you turn it down to 1 and 1 and the most important part, countersteer assistance needs to be set to "weak". Do not choose "strong" because it feels like rubbish and isn't realistic at all. "Off" has way too much damper. "Weak" is the sweet spot, not only does it lighten up the wheel allowing you to feel more FFB effects, drifting and generally sliding the cars around feels much more natural and easier.

Make sure all other assists are off too except for ABS to your taste and adjust FOV in the "detailed settings" page.

I'm using a T300RS with the 599 Alcantara wheel so you're mileage may vary depending on what wheel base and wheel rim you're using but I'm pretty confident the "weak" setting will transform your GT Sport driving experience.

Alfa 4C is an absolute delight to chuck around sideways. I love this game.
I'm think of buying the 599XX wheel. Any good?

My T300 is making a terrible noise since play the beta - the wheel weight that the game enforces on you is clearly damaging it. I'm going to stop using it for fear of it breaking.

*Fun fact* GT is working alongside PS to ruin your old steering wheels (Like Apple Ruins their older phones) so you can break your wheel and buy their new $700+ TGT Thrustmaster wheel ‍♂️

I'm think of buying the 599XX wheel. Any good?
Yes - Bought with the base. I would just remap the push-knob if possible on PS4. It's default configured to PS button, Share and Options

Anyone with Th8A/RS and T3PA? I have no clutch, pedal is not working in GTS. Works well in other games.
Has anyone found a fix for this? Or confirmation that it'll be solved in the final game?

Gear Stick and Clutch Controls
If you are using a steering wheel controller that has a gear stick (such as the Guillemot TH8 RS shifter) and a clutch pedal, please be sure to select Manual (MT) transmission from Driving Options. When you start racing, paddle shift will be selected, but you can change the mode by performing the following actions:

Using the gear stick -> The gear stick alone will become operational. (Auto-clutch mode.)
Stepping on the clutch pedal -> The gear stick and clutch will both become operational. (Full Manual Mode.)

Using paddle shift controls in either of these modes will automatically switch back to paddle shift mode.

There are certain cars, such as those with torque converters, CVT, dual clutches etc. for which a clutch pedal cannot be used even if manual transmission is available.

Tried it... didn't work. Never recognised the clutch pedal nor the shifter

Hi, ive never owned a steering wheel but getting one soon. How important to the drive experience is it to have the FFB option set to on? If its such a problem to the game why not just turn it off!

Hi, ive never owned a steering wheel but getting one soon. How important to the drive experience is it to have the FFB option set to on? If its such a problem to the game why not just turn it off!

The ffb is essential to anticipate the car's response. The better the ffb the more control you have and the faster you get.
Once you've tried it, you'll realise that ffb off is no longer an option

The ffb is essential to anticipate the car's response. The better the ffb the more control you have and the faster you get.

Thanks for your reply, sounds like you know from experience. :cheers:

I'll second this. I used to unplug the power on my DFGT, which disables the FFB while still being able to use it, and it's just night and day experience-wise. It's much harder to find a good steering angle and immersion is definitely not there. Better to use it even if you have to turn it down to start and get used to it.

With that, I definitely agree that FFB is way too high. Admittedly, my T300 just arrived and came out of the box last night but I really felt like I was going to break a wrist the first time I ran off. The adjustment didn't seem to do a whole lot either. As long as it works in the release version I'm good but otherwise I may have to start a wrist/forearm workout regimen! :D

Im sure i will love/like/love this game the same as every GT title ive owned from the beginning of GT time; tho ive never played with a Wheel. Seriously thinking of getting the T300 RS GT for my PS4 PRO. Finding it difficult to justify paying more than almost £300, so is it a good wheel?

I am liking it so far. Different feel from what I am used to with the DFGT but it's been so long since I've used it I'm basically starting from scratch anyway. The pedals have a good substantial feel and really the whole thing feels solid even without using the hard mount (yet). Waiting for that awful "Harbor Freight" rubber smell to go away but that's really the only downside I can come up with. :)

I don't think you'd be disappointed. The cost was a concern for sure seeing as my old wheel was $50 used off eBay but with as much use as I got out of it I figured the upgrade was worth it. Definitely a whole new level of fun over just the controller.

I am liking it so far. Different feel from what I am used to with the DFGT but it's been so long since I've used it I'm basically starting from scratch anyway. The pedals have a good substantial feel and really the whole thing feels solid even without using the hard mount (yet). Waiting for that awful "Harbor Freight" rubber smell to go away but that's really the only downside I can come up with. :)

I don't think you'd be disappointed. The cost was a concern for sure seeing as my old wheel was $50 used off eBay but with as much use as I got out of it I figured the upgrade was worth it. Definitely a whole new level of fun over just the controller.

Thanks for a solid reply. I know this might sound a daft question, but is the car easier to direct with a wheel?

Back