Thrustmaster T500RS/T300 wheels thread

• Thread starter Diablo_rf
  • 593 comments
I'll second this. I used to unplug the power on my DFGT, which disables the FFB while still being able to use it, and it's just night and day experience-wise. It's much harder to find a good steering angle and immersion is definitely not there. Better to use it even if you have to turn it down to start and get used to it.

With that, I definitely agree that FFB is way too high. Admittedly, my T300 just arrived and came out of the box last night but I really felt like I was going to break a wrist the first time I ran off. The adjustment didn't seem to do a whole lot either. As long as it works in the release version I'm good but otherwise I may have to start a wrist/forearm workout regimen! :D

Ehm.... also the T300 can be used unplugged without FF or it doesn't work? Strange question, I konw :D

I think I know what you are getting at and I would say that it is, for sure. I grew up on PC racing games (anyone ever play the original Need For Speed SE? :)) and it was like the leap from using a keyboard to a gamepad. We didn't have fancy analog buttons and triggers for modulation but the feel was much better. Having now been driving a real car every day for a couple decades, going from the controller to a wheel was that kind of "aha" moment. I can even now tell the difference between using the DFGT, which was not bad by any means, and the T300; I think the feel is that much closer to walking outside and plopping down in my Merc to drive to work, especially in the pedals.

I think you can make the case of spending much less on a used wheel and see if it's for you as a casual sim driver but with the amount of hours I put into GT5 and 6 I felt spending money on a higher quality product was worth it.

Ehm.... also the T300 can be used unplugged without FF or it doesn't work? Strange question, I konw :D

I am not sure as I haven't tried. :) I will give it a whirl tonight and let you know. My guess is that it would work the same unless the TM base is that much more high powered and the juice from USB won't be enough.

I think I know what you are getting at and I would say that it is, for sure. I grew up on PC racing games (anyone ever play the original Need For Speed SE? :)) and it was like the leap from using a keyboard to a gamepad. We didn't have fancy analog buttons and triggers for modulation but the feel was much better. Having now been driving a real car every day for a couple decades, going from the controller to a wheel was that kind of "aha" moment. I can even now tell the difference between using the DFGT, which was not bad by any means, and the T300; I think the feel is that much closer to walking outside and plopping down in my Merc to drive to work, especially in the pedals.

I think you can make the case of spending much less on a used wheel and see if it's for you as a casual sim driver but with the amount of hours I put into GT5 and 6 I felt spending money on a higher quality product was worth it.

I am not sure as I haven't tried. :) I will give it a whirl tonight and let you know. My guess is that it would work the same unless the TM base is that much more high powered and the juice from USB won't be enough.

I was looking for a T150 but afraid of FF problems, if this trick works it may be a good solution :dunce:

Thanks once again for taking the time with another fab reply.

I'm using TH8RS + T3pa. Mazda MX5 with MT, clutch works and shifter too. Are You using shifter via USB?
I found this out late last night, then wished I hadn't as the manual clutch is so poorly implemented ! It's more like an ON/ OFF switch than a progressive pedal that only seems to work at around 95% of pedal travel. If you don't fully depress the pedal, it blocks the gear change and 9 times out of 10 you have to shift back to the original gear you were in, then fully depress the clutch and shift again as you're stuck in neutral !
There's no deadzone or saturation adjustment, so no way to try and adjust the "bite point" to make it more positive. I'm hoping the full retail version has a full calibration suite that covers wheels and pedals, but I'm not holding my breath !

What is infuriating, the mapping for the T300 is there in the settings, it's an official wheel that was designed to have the shifter plugged into the base, yet we're expected to sacrifice a USB port to play in manual H pattern.
I know I could add a USB hub, but that's not the point here, why should I have to resort to work a rounds ?

For those worried about damaging their T300, try setting FFB to 1/1 and counter steering assistance to weak.

Feedback is still saturated but the vibration and grinding around the centre is significantly reduced.

I'm finding that FF Torque at 2, FF Sensitivity at 4, countersteeing asst on weak is my sweet spot. FFT on 1 feels better in terms of weight, but I'm finding it lacks road feel when turning on long bends. FFT on 2 is a bit heavier, but I can feel road friction better on long bends. Anyone else experiencing this?

Even when I put FFT on 1 and FFS on 10, it doesn't seem to give me better road nuance than FFT on 2 and FFS on 4.

Would you buy it when you have the
Thrustmaster Ferrari® F1 Wheel Add-On T500

I also have the F1 wheel but haven't tried it with GT Sport. If I only had the F1 wheel, I would still buy the 599 wheel. It's simply perfect. Actually almost perfect, if only it was slightly larger at 320mm instead of 300mm.

I also have the F1 wheel but haven't tried it with GT Sport. If I only had the F1 wheel, I would still buy the 599 wheel. It's simply perfect. Actually almost perfect, if only it was slightly larger at 320mm instead of 300mm.
Cant wait to use it!

Great listening to you all chew the cud. A simple question; thinking of buying tomorrow a Thrustmaster T300 RS GT. Is it a good wheel for sub £300?

So I just noticed something strange- the pedals, or the gas pedal at least, do not appear to be linear. It takes probably 75% of the pedal travel to hit the 50% mark on the throttle indicator. Might be why I've been having so much trouble with turns that just require a slight lift... I've been giving it much more than that because of the non-linearity.

I am actually using a CPX with my T500 to pair it up with Fanatec pedals which have a load cell brake so I can't test to see if that's linear or not. I just checked on my PC though and in Windows control panel, the pedal throw looks perfectly linear.

Anyone else noticing this?

Back