Thrustmaster T500RS/T300 wheels thread

• Thread starter Diablo_rf
  • 593 comments
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a new racing wheel for PS4/PC and I have read positive reviews on the T300RS, I am curious as to what owners think of it (esp. compared to other wheels) and is it worth the price? (basically the same question as @JuveTino)

Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a new racing wheel for PS4/PC and I have read positive reviews on the T300RS, I am curious as to what owners think of it (esp. compared to other wheels) and is it worth the price? (basically the same question as @JuveTino)
I own the T300RS and have moved from Logitech DFGT. Really hard to compare as the DFGT more was more a budget wheel. However, my experience with the T300 is great. The FFB is great and its not that noisy (worth considering if you planning on playing when all are asleep)! Ive just ordered the 599XX wheel as an add-on based on the great reviews. The standard wheel is fine and you can upgrade later. If your moving from a gamepad to a wheel it will totally transform your experience when playing a racing game. Any wheel will be an improvement but Thrustmaster would be a worthy option.

So I just noticed something strange- the pedals, or the gas pedal at least, do not appear to be linear. It takes probably 75% of the pedal travel to hit the 50% mark on the throttle indicator. Might be why I've been having so much trouble with turns that just require a slight lift... I've been giving it much more than that because of the non-linearity.

I am actually using a CPX with my T500 to pair it up with Fanatec pedals which have a load cell brake so I can't test to see if that's linear or not. I just checked on my PC though and in Windows control panel, the pedal throw looks perfectly linear.

Anyone else noticing this?
Yes, I've noticed the same thing, thanks to you because I totally forgot about this. The gas pedal is definitely not 100 % liniar, at first it come very slowly but when you push a bit more the bar goes to full instantly. I've noticed this after a few hours, but the wheel issues just got above this problem and I totally forgot about it lol.

I own the T300RS and have moved from Logitech DFGT. Really hard to compare as the DFGT more was more a budget wheel. However, my experience with the T300 is great. The FFB is great and its not that noisy (worth considering if you planning on playing when all are asleep)! Ive just ordered the 599XX wheel as an add-on based on the great reviews. The standard wheel is fine and you can upgrade later. If your moving from a gamepad to a wheel it will totally transform your experience when playing a racing game. Any wheel will be an improvement but Thrustmaster would be a worthy option.

Thanks for your help. I so happen to have a DFGT as well and am considering playing whilst others are asleep :)

Additionally, the idea of it being a supported modular system appeals to me too

Settings in pc driver has nothing to do with wheel behavior on console.

Once I had adjusted it via PC settings, I plugged it into my PS4 and all my settings for F1 2017 were off / different. I had to alter them back through the PC to get it to how I like it.

Hi. Can you calibrate the breaks to use the conical brake mod? (limited range)
Push the pedal to the max when in game and it will calibrate by itself. You’ll have to do it everytime you restart the game or plug your wheel

Push the pedal to the max when in game and it will calibrate by itself. You’ll have to do it everytime you restart the game or plug your wheel
Was Just about to ask this as well thanks for clearing up! Although one thing I have noticed, which isn't as big of a deal as I initially thought, the throttle "curve" seems a little lopsided. Like pushing about 70-75% yields a little over half on screen and then quickly speeds up until reaching 100/100.

I was able to get used to it but it was wondering if I just haven't paid attention over the years and its always been a GT thing.

Lastly +1 on the Alcantera wheel its phenomenal! I also have the F1 wheel add on and after driving a lot of the cars with interior view I may start using that.

I'm going to be getting the T300RS GT but after reading this thread I'm having a little doubt as to whether it is really worth it, especially when it costs even more than my PS4 Pro. The wheel compatibility seems a bit wonky with force feedback and throttle linearity issues.

Do you guys think I should get the T300 or another wheel?

I have the T300 GT Edition, until I read the comments here, I thought it was working perfectly :-) I've got it hard mounted to a playseat and it feels great on gt sport, dirt rally and pc1...

My only problem is in the 20 hours that I played the demo, there were four or five times where my start button and or Playstation button randomly acted like it was pushed in during a race/qualifying. I know for a fact that my other controller was off and I didn't bump the button. Might try to get ahold of thrustmaster to see if anything it's a hardware problem or what.

Anyone else have this problem with their T300?

The T300 is a fantastic piece of kit with a huge fatal flaw. It has awful reliability. Mine kicked the bucket after just over 2 and a half years. For something that is that expensive -- this is just unacceptable.

It's a great wheel. I bought my first T300RS before Pcars planned launch November 2014 but because of the Pcars delay I used it only with Driveclub.
That T300RS broke down in the second day from Pcars release May 2015 perhaps because of Pcars' force feedback.
The replace T300RS that I got at about June 2015 is flawless even today!
Great piece of hardware!

Had my t500 rs around 3 years and it never misses a beat. These are around the same price as the t300rs they also come with much better pedals, far greater power and great reliability. Why not buy a t500?

The T300 is a fantastic piece of kit with a huge fatal flaw. It has awful reliability. Mine kicked the bucket after just over 2 and a half years. For something that is that expensive -- this is just unacceptable.

It's a great wheel. I bought my first T300RS before Pcars planned launch November 2014 but because of the Pcars delay I used it only with Driveclub.
That T300RS broke down in the second day from Pcars release May 2015 perhaps because of Pcars' force feedback.
The replace T300RS that I got at about June 2015 is flawless even today!
Great piece of hardware!

Yeah I read reviews about the unreliability that makes me concerned, especially when I am reading conflicting statements about it having either a two-year (mentioned on Thrustmaster's site) or a one-year (mentioned at the store I'm going to buy it from) warranty. I've also read that the customer service is satisfactory :scared:

Had my t500 rs around 3 years and it never misses a beat. These are around the same price as the t300rs they also come with much better pedals, far greater power and great reliability. Why not buy a t500?

You bring up a good point, but unfortunately the T500 is way out of my price range - they go for over $800AUD (475 pounds) here! :crazy:
I was considering upgrading the pedals and getting a shifter later down the track though

My experience using the T300rs on the demo version has simply been that the force feedback is way too high. I turned down the ffb from 5 to 1 but I couldn't see that it had made any discernible difference. I feel the demo is currently unplayable for me, I have broken 2 T300rs wheels in the past by using ffb too high (another game). Really surprised I haven't found others reporting the same issues with the GT sport demo. My firmware etc is all up to date.
Same here m8

I got the logitech g29 when it first came out and used it with project cars was horrible got Assetto Corsa still horrible went out and got thrustmaster t300 alcantara and what a difference T300 is so much better really is but I could not play GT Sport with the T300 hope they sort it out but got a feeling it won't be a good experience coz there are newer wheels out now

This might be a silly question but how do I know if my FFB was too strong that it could possibly damage the wheel? T300RS BTW. It felt lovely, a real sense of weight and a lot of feedback, I could feel the car over every bump and really had an awesome sensation throwing it round corners. I just want to make sure that it was supposed to be like that. The only thing I struggled with is drifting, I couldn’t get it to work for the life of me with the wheel but then again I haven’t drifted much with a wheel on GT since I’ve only started using it in the past year or so.

To me, it felt good and didn’t feel insane or anything, like it wasn’t at the point where I couldn’t control it, it was still very controllable. Just wanna clear this up a little. Peace of mind, maybe.

IMO it could damage the wheel. FFB is so strong that is clipping like crazy.
What does clipping feel like exactly? Never had it pointed out so I don’t know what it feels like.

EDIT: Looked it up and it seems like it’s either where it just cuts off or there’s way too much to where even just driving regularly on a straight piece of tarmac causes a ton of feedback, which isn’t the case for me so I don’t think it’s clipping. Maybe I’m wrong though. In short it felt like GT6 but stronger, more detailed and more weight behind the wheel. Was never uncontrollable though, even if I really swung the car in, besides drifting but I’m guessing I gotta work on technique for that.

Last edited:
Mostly it's clipping for me in turns. You can feel that ffb power is way too high, and wheel motor is struggling. Also no details what so ever.

After playing GTS demo cooling fan works for about 15min. That never happened before.

Mostly it's clipping for me in turns. You can feel that ffb power is way too high, and wheel motor is struggling. Also no details what so ever.
Hmm, I’m definitely getting quite a bit of feedback in the corners. Sometimes I get what feels like an awesome buffer, like I’m hanging it on the edge. Seems like it’s not clipping then, or at least not as bad as described here. Thanks for the info mate.

My only problem is in the 20 hours that I played the demo, there were four or five times where my start button and or Playstation button randomly acted like it was pushed in during a race/qualifying. I know for a fact that my other controller was off and I didn't bump the button. Might try to get ahold of thrustmaster to see if anything it's a hardware problem or what.

Anyone else have this problem with their T300?
If you would search through dedicated thread in simracing hardware forum section, you would find few reports with this issue too.

Mine is the same, was like that from the beginning when bought new for first PCars game. In this game it was square button that was randomly pressed.
At that time I contacted Thrustmaster to fix it, firstly they sent me a brand new wheel (rim) and it was exactly the same; then I send them a base and two wheels (one from original set and second they sent me in). They were inspecting them for about two weeks and couldn`t find any flaw, so returned to me the original set.
I gave up and learned to race with those "ghost" button presses. Later I changed PS4 to PS4 Pro and it was the same. So new wheel and then a new console didn`t fix it, so I believe thats the problem with the base itself. What is interesting, wheel with my PC is absolutely fine, so yeah it`s really confusing.

Now, when tried last GTS demo I noticed the same issue but now it was start button not square. Happened two times. With previous closed beta I didn`t notice any of this but maybe because of short track time with beta.

What pedals are you using with it (T3PA "Pro" taken from T500RS here)?

A fun little video I put together for anyone considering a t300 or who already owns one. Sort of an unconventional review. Hope you guys enjoy.
I was laid off work and currently back at school for IT Networking, so don't take the dark self-deprecating humor about my lack of sim gear too seriously. The fall is shaping up to be an exciting time in my life, and having a few hours of free time to make these videos makes sim racing even more rewarding for me when it helps a fellow gamer / racer.
Cheers!

Back