Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter Thread

Which mode do you mostly use with your TH8A?

• Total voters
I have a problem with my TH8A shifter. I am using it in sequential mode and when I change gears it makes a squeaking/rubbing sound. How would I get rid of it, I would rather not pull it apart. And yes it does the same when in "H" patern. Any help would be greatful.

I've used several USB hubs and they always wear out or start acting flaky eventually except HooToo brand. I know you may have never heard of them but they build EXTREMELY high quality USB hubs and I've got two of them now and not had a single problem with them. I highly recommend HooToo now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hootoo usb hub&sprefix=hootoo usb hu,aps

Thanks, you are right, never heard of them. But I checked the link and they look very nice.
Which type are you using ?

Last edited:
Thanks, you are right, never heard of them. But I checked the link and they look very nice.
Which type are you using ?

Just read in the description that some wireless 24GHz (as in my PS3 Pulse wireless headset) may not work with USB3 ports ??? :nervous:

This one believe it or not, I've spent over twice as much on other USB hubs that didn't hold up for more than a month.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQ5RYP0/?tag=gtplanet-20

There's always someone that has some random issue with USB 3.0. You have to take those reports with a grain of salt because it never seems to be consistent.

Last edited:
This one believe it or not, I've spent over twice as much on USB hubs that didn't hold up for more than a month.

http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-4-Port-Bus-Powered-Built--HT-UH007/dp/B00DQ5RYP0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421278599&sr=8-3&keywords=hootoo usb hub

OK, this one is bus powered. Wouldn't one with external power be better ?

I had my eye on this one:
http://www.hootoo.com/hootoor-ht-uh010-7-port-usb-3-0-hub-with-2-smart-charging-port.html

but also just read in the description that certain wireless 24GHz devices (as in my PS3 Pulse wireless headset) may not work with USB3 ports and need USB2 ??? :nervous:

OK, this one is bus powered. Wouldn't one with external power be better ?

I had my eye on this one:
http://www.hootoo.com/hootoor-ht-uh010-7-port-usb-3-0-hub-with-2-smart-charging-port.html

but also just read in the description that certain wireless 24GHz devices (as in my PS3 Pulse wireless headset) may not work with USB3 ports and need USB2 ??? :nervous:

I've always used external powered hubs too and yet they've still been flaky. HooToo is reliable no matter which one you buy. I suppose if you plan to use it to charge battery powered devices, external power would be better though since it would charge the device quicker.

I've always used external powered hubs too and yet they've still been flaky. HooToo is reliable no matter which one you buy. I suppose if you plan to use it to charge battery powered devices, external power would be better though since it would charge the device quicker.
Charging devices would not be the main goal (maybe the controller which I only use for taking pictures).
I plan to connect the TH500RS to one of the main ports of the PS3 and use the other port to connect the USB hub.
The extra USB 's would be used for connecting:
- USB stick for backup
- TH8A (as soon is I have one)
- the transmitter for the Pulse headset (which may not work on USB3 ?)
- charging controller.

Found a test of the HooToo hubs and it came out as a winner (by far).

Has anyone mounted a TH8A to a Rennsport wheel stand? probably ordering a TH8A in the next couple of days and tossing around ideas of how to mount it to my wheel stand.

Has anyone mounted a TH8A to a Rennsport wheel stand? probably ordering a TH8A in the next couple of days and tossing around ideas of how to mount it to my wheel stand.
You will have to drill holes to hard mount your wheel, then you should be fine with adding the shifter mount to the side and probably just clamping the shifter onto that mount.

You definitely won't be able to use a Thrustmaster wheel clamp in addition to the shifter mount, the two will impede each other.

You will have to drill holes to hard mount your wheel, then you should be fine with adding the shifter mount to the side and probably just clamping the shifter onto that mount.

You definitely won't be able to use a Thrustmaster wheel clamp in addition to the shifter mount, the two will impede each other.
Just to reply to my own comment...

My TH8A finally arrived this week, and although it's going to spend most time on my PC rig I'm certainly tempted to plug it in to my Playstation alongside the T500RS on the Rennsport wheelstand occasionally, so I'm going to have a go at figuring out how best to connect it up.

The good news is that the TH8A clamp is very good indeed, so that should make life easier.

P.S. TH8A is a lovely bit of kit. Coming from G25 and Fanatec Porsche shifters it's a major step up. I went for it rather than the Fanatec clubsport shifter since I wanted the flexibility to use it directly plugged into my T300 and with Thrustmaster wheels on the Playstation, and I'm very happy with it.

Switching between sequential and H-style plates takes longer than I hoped it would, but that's the only real drawback I can see. I love the flexibility of the configuration software to adjust throw and even to remap which gate is which gear.

Just to reply to my own comment...

My TH8A finally arrived this week, and although it's going to spend most time on my PC rig I'm certainly tempted to plug it in to my Playstation alongside the T500RS on the Rennsport wheelstand occasionally, so I'm going to have a go at figuring out how best to connect it up.

The good news is that the TH8A clamp is very good indeed, so that should make life easier.

P.S. TH8A is a lovely bit of kit. Coming from G25 and Fanatec Porsche shifters it's a major step up. I went for it rather than the Fanatec clubsport shifter since I wanted the flexibility to use it directly plugged into my T300 and with Thrustmaster wheels on the Playstation, and I'm very happy with it.

Switching between sequential and H-style plates takes longer than I hoped it would, but that's the only real drawback I can see. I love the flexibility of the configuration software to adjust throw and even to remap which gate is which gear.

I agree with everything you said about the TH8A. The Clubsport Shifter is a step up in realism from what I've been told but there's certainly nothing wrong with the TH8A, only drawback as you stated is time it takes to go from H-pattern to sequential.

My TH8A should arrive tomorrow, hopefully the RaceRoom mount and the USB hub also... so I can install it on my rigg...
@Blkout I could not get my hands on a Hootoo hub, so I bought one (4 ports - aluminium casing - on/off switch - and 2 year full warranty) from Conrad. It has blue Led pilot lights for each port, external power. I hope it is as good as the Hootoo...

My TH8A should arrive tomorrow, hopefully the RaceRoom mount and the USB hub also... so I can install it on my rigg...
@Blkout I could not get my hands on a Hootoo hub, so I bought one (4 ports - aluminium casing - on/off switch - and 2 year full warranty) from Conrad. It has blue Led pilot lights for each port, external power. I hope it is as good as the Hootoo...

Can't say honestly, there's literally dozens of USB hubs by various companies. Hopefully it works for you though. I just didn't have good luck with Sabrent and Amazon Basics brands.

Last edited:
Ok guys my TH8a shifter just came in today (about bloodly time), but there's a problem... I hooked it up to my rig and connected the USB port to my PS3 but when I try to use it in-game it doesn't work!
I don't know if there is some process that I'm suppose to go through or what, can someone help me out!?!?

I tried playing GT6 and Grid Autosport with it. I also downloaded the firmware and tried it again and nothing

Ok guys my TH8a shifter just came in today (about bloodly time), but there's a problem... I hooked it up to my rig and connected the USB port to my PS3 but when I try to use it in-game it doesn't work!
I don't know if there is some process that I'm suppose to go through or what, can someone help me out!?!?

I tried playing GT6 and Grid Autosport with it. I also downloaded the firmware and tried it again and nothing

Which mode are you trying to use it in? H-shifter or Seq.? You can also test to see if it is functioning correctly by installing the Wheel's TM driver/utility on a computer that runs Windows.

Once the driver/utility is installed, plug the TH8A (wheel not needed) into computer using the Din to USB cable that came bundled with it. TM also has a TH8 calibration utility you can use to test.

Either util should recognize the TH8A once you plug it in to PC if it doesn't have hardware issues.
Also, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on wheel.

You have to have both shifter & wheel plugged in to PS3 before you start up the wheel.
The wheel will do a handshake with TH8A during calibration process to recognize it.
You have to do same every time you go from seq. to H-shifter mode or vice versa.

Last edited:
Thanks @JogoAsobi, looks like I had to reconnect the shifter to the driver on the PC, before when I did it I guess the firmware update did not compete the 1st time, all is good now!

My TH8A arrived and I am REALLY happy with it.
Still I ordered some custom plates for SEQ and short throw 6-gear from
RightOnGates

But as it is now, I'm only a fraction slower than while using the flipper shifters.
I thought (feared) lap times would really suffer...

As for the connection: TM points out that the shifter has to be connected to a USB port on the PS3 directly (not on a hub).

I bought a 4-port aluminium USB3 hub from Conrad Electronic SE (on/off switch - pilot lights for the device and the separate ports - power adapter 12V-2.5A) and plugged it into a USB port on the PS3, the T500RS in the other.

I connected following items to the hub:
- PS3 controller (charging)
- 2.4 GHz RF transmitter for the Pulse headset
- USB stick for backup
- TH8A
Everything works fine !

Conrad-USB3-hub-4P.jpg

My TH8A arrived and I am REALLY happy with it.
Still I ordered some custom plates for SEQ and short throw 6-gear from
RightOnGates

But as it is now, I'm only a fraction slower than while using the flipper shifters.
I thought (feared) lap times would really suffer...

As for the connection: TM points out that the shifter has to be connected to a USB port on the PS3 directly (not on a hub).

I bought a 4-port aluminium USB3 hub from Conrad Electronic SE (on/off switch - pilot lights for the device and the separate ports - power adapter 12V-2.5A) and plugged it into a USB port on the PS3, the T500RS in the other.

I connected following items to the hub:
- PS3 controller (charging)
- 2.4 GHz RF transmitter for the Pulse headset
- USB stick for backup
- TH8A
Everything works fine !

Conrad-USB3-hub-4P.jpg
Where did you bought the Conrad USB hub?

Just took delivery of my TH8A that I ordered from eBay.co.uk, there are plenty more if anyone is interested, Amazon UK have been sold out for a while and are still listed as out of stock.

Paid £112 (free delivery) for mine, also splashed out £7.99 for a long 'touring car' style gear knob for when in sequential mode. Can't wait to get it home and set this bad boy up!

image.jpg

Still waiting for this knob though!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Where do I order custom plate from? I got my TH8A last 2 months and want to do something different. Like 4 to 6 gear plates etc. Thanks.

Hey guys! Where do I order custom plate from? I got my TH8A last 2 months and want to do something different. Like 4 to 6 gear plates etc. Thanks.

Not sure where this guy got his custom plate from but take a look at his Ferrari shifter plate. He has a lovely Ferrari GTO steering wheel attached to his G27 too.

Latest Posts

Back