Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,276 comments
There’s an episode of Blackadder where he is captured by Prince Ludwig the Indestructable. He doesn’t speak the same language as his inquisitor, so to threaten him they have to mime what the torture would be.

What it ends up being is what I would like to do to both the designer of the Red Bull Ring and whoever set the track limits.

28 laps to find 3 tenths to get under the silver time. Half of those had penalties, from almost every corner on the track. Whenever I did get up on the delta I’d mess up sector 3.

Finally got under the current silver target, a 1:30.629 (4.81 %). It probably won’t survive until payday but I don’t think I can face this one again.

Last edited:
I still rented one to keep the fictional miles off my SSS! ha :D

Nice one creeping into the 28s. I'm hoping I've done enough because it took me a while to really nail turn 1 - could only get it in chase cam, then would switch to hood view for the remainder of the lap as it seems to reduce the feeling of understeer.

I use chase cam ordinarily.

@Gogga
Took ages getting into 1:28s. Thoroughly enjoying it though. Just over 2000 km driven. Took me a while to get T1 right. Breaking slightly earlier then coasting for a bit seems to work for me. I use the hood view as well.
Holding thumbs that we stay in the gold.

Cannot understand the flow of this one. Can't get under 1:30 for the life of me. No chance I'll get the gold on this one!!!
Bit nervous posting this here, and not sure if it is allowed so if there is a mod that wants to remove thats ok. I have a very small channel but one of my subs asked for track guides as I usually get within 2% of the top time. Now I'm not professing to be amazing and I know this lap has a bunch of mistakes etc. but it is a 1:28.30 and maybe you'd find it useful.

Bit nervous posting this here, and not sure if it is allowed so if there is a mod that wants to remove thats ok. I have a very small channel but one of my subs asked for track guides as I usually get within 2% of the top time. Now I'm not professing to be amazing and I know this lap has a bunch of mistakes etc. but it is a 1:28.30 and maybe you'd find it useful.

Thanks! I'll have another blast tonight and see if I can follow your tips. T1, T2, then T5/6 are my weak points I think. I've got T3 and the last few bends nailed, so if I can iron out those kinks maybe I can subtract some tenths from my time. I need to find over a second though... :scared:

Thanks! I'll have another blast tonight and see if I can follow your tips. T1, T2, then T5/6 are my weak points I think. I've got T3 and the last few bends nailed, so if I can iron out those kinks maybe I can subtract some tenths from my time. I need to find over a second though... :scared:
You'll be surprised how much can be gained from so few corners! With such long straights corner exits are important and on my best lap I gained around 3 tenths down the straight after T1 alone (and the top guys are still around 4 tenths quicker!!)

There’s an episode of Blackadder where he is captured by Prince Ludwig the Indestructable. He doesn’t speak the same language as his inquisitor, so to threaten him they have to mime what the torture would be.

What it ends up being is what I would like to do to both the designer of the Red Bull Ring and whoever set the track limits.

28 laps to find 3 tenths to get under the silver time. Half of those had penalties, from almost every corner on the track. Whenever I did get up on the delta I’d mess up sector 3.

Finally got under the current silver target, a 1:30.629 (4.81 %). It probably won’t survive until payday but I don’t think I can face this one again
I don't get these complaints about track limits. They're completely fair. If you go outside the white lines and use the runoff, you've exceeded track limits and get a penalty - as you should.

What's wrong with that? That's how all tracks should be, rather than the likes of Maggiore where you just ignore the tarmac altogether half the time.

{Expletive deleted!!!}

I finally managed a 1:28:6xx. After a lap that felt like it was on 2 wheels and a door handle most of the way around.
For what it's worth - For those folks struggling...

You can get on the throttle way way earlier than you would normally. The turbo lag is quite large on this car. This is is no way whatsoever scientific but I just cut around a quarter of a second off my "throttle on" times at each corner and it made all the difference in the world to my quickest lap. Hope that helps.

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

I don't get these complaints about track limits. They're completely fair. If you go outside the white lines and use the runoff, you've exceeded track limits and get a penalty - as you should.

What's wrong with that? That's how all tracks should be, rather than the likes of Maggiore where you just ignore the tarmac altogether half the time.
Having to push to the ragged edge just to get a good time, so always flirting with the limits. It's hard in some views to see exactly where the wheels are, but the game knows to the millemetre.
My annoyance is that a lot of my penalties were the esses before the penalty line in sector 3. That lap is invalid and you have to drive all the way back around to serve the penalty. It ruins 2 laps, wastes a lot of time, and if you reset the session you lose all your splits and deltas.

Having to push to the ragged edge just to get a good time, so always flirting with the limits. It's hard in some views to see exactly where the wheels are, but the game knows to the millemetre.
My annoyance is that a lot of my penalties were the esses before the penalty line in sector 3. That lap is invalid and you have to drive all the way back around to serve the penalty. It ruins 2 laps, wastes a lot of time, and if you reset the session you lose all your splits and deltas.
That's fair enough yeah - I would rather the lap is invalidated than have to take a penalty, it makes no sense in TT.

When does this one end? Wondering if a big session is required tonight to get that gold time (I'm a long way off currently!)...

Yesterday my friend was begging me to get gold for him via Shareplay lmao. It actually worked! I got a 1:28.72 for him which should easily be enough for gold.

Even with some slight lag, it only took me 5 laps of getting used to it (the lag) and overall strange feeling of driving via Shareplay.

Anyone else tried to help someone out like that? I was an experience for sure lol

Yesterday my friend was begging me to get gold for him via Shareplay lmao. It actually worked! I got a 1:28.72 for him which should easily be enough for gold.

Even with some slight lag, it only took me 5 laps of getting used to it (the lag) and overall strange feeling of driving via Shareplay.

Anyone else tried to help someone out like that? I was an experience for sure lol
Yes, well kinda. I didn't do the remote thing but I was over at a buddy's place over the weekend and spent a few laps trying to get him gold. He doesn't play that much. Was a bit of a struggle since his wheel setup is completely different than mine (different wheel company, different chair, different settings, etc.). After about 15 mins I got him within ~.030" of gold. Good enough.

If an alien doesn't beat the current best time he'll get it; if so, oh well, he'll still get the silver!

Seems a bit odd (to me) to have someone do the TT for you. I can understand a career race, if you can't win it and want 100% completion. Are they really hard up for credits or just want their profile to look better?

Seems a bit odd (to me) to have someone do the TT for you. I can understand a career race, if you can't win it and want 100% completion. Are they really hard up for credits or just want their profile to look better?
It's sort of cheating yourself......

Well in my case he is my best friend and my only real life friend that plays GT7. He also absolutely despises the Redbull Ring so I thought I'd help him out. But yeah may be a bit strange i dunno (:

I just want the money so as long as you can guide me get 2 Mil then I'm happy lol

Yeah this is a tricky one, i spend a fair amount of time with this one, i now drive a constant 1:29 with sometimes high 28, with a personal record of 128.721 , but never drove such a lap after that, 1:26.4 is just bizar, don't know if it's even doable on DS4

I’ve been grinding away at this one and am probably nearing 100 laps - down to a 1:29.4 - sooooooo close to gold!
Almost!, keep hunting, first corner and the hairpin you can realy make a difference in turbolag

I just want the money so as long as you can guide me get 2 Mil then I'm happy lol
Haha fair!

Well one tip I didn't include but people here have suggested that definitely seems to help... downshift to 2nd and then back up to 3rd in the braking zone of T1!

1:28.179 on controller again just ABS. Again loads of bits I could improve on but so concerned about losing the lap to track limits!

Did another 20 or so laps and finally got a 1:28:844 🤘

fPv52b3.jpg

Last edited:
Back