Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,267 comments
That 3:22.XXX lap is very close based on my optimal time. Just facing issues with an inconsistent last sector where i'm basically changing my approach for the last two turns in each lap. Just have to pick the best line there and hopefully the optimal time becomes a reality.

Attachments

• 20230606_205202.jpg
    20230606_205202.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 7
4 small crappy laps and .4s improvement, still lightyears away from silver, optimal always 3-4s better as I always manage to butcher each and every gain I make during the lap (when it is not a penality).
I find that I lose the most time when I’m not careful on the throttle and over/under break instead of trail braking (much easier said than done). I’m using TC1 for C9 but no other assist aside ABS and really found consistency first 3 sectors just braking right and easier on throttle in 3rd gear out of corners.

Down to 26:2xx with the 919 which I'll probably stick with till the end unless I somehow manage to wrap my head around Sauber. Still can't really see where I'm loosing so much time though..
Have you tried this?

-

I tried a few other cars, and all I can say is... I shouldn't have bothered. I tried the Porsche 919 and was 10 seconds off my best... the 787B is great fun, but I found it much harder to drive than the Sauber C9 and was nowhere near my best.

And just to prove it had nothing to do with the bottle of wine I drank between setting my best time and these new attempts, I tried again with the C9 and was only 2s slower than my best...

The C9 just seems nailed on for LM, and I guess if even I can get a silver with it (well, let's see, but it's over 2s inside silver time so far), then it must be good.

Last edited:
A bit of a better day today as I spun a lot less today....still flirting with track limit trying to push my braking point. Getting a few low 3:25 with penalty....so mostly 3:24 flat? One time I was doing very well without penalty and I had a brain fart and braked way too late at the Porsche curves...went wild and ended up with a 3.24.3 :rolleyes:

Really want to improve my 1st sector...seems to be able to get 30.6-7 reasonably consistent now. Would love to get it to sub 30.5... trying very hard not to trip over myself at the Dunlop chicane.

...and that makes powering out in 3th for example a lot easier, still tricky tho, i saw @Dolph Drago powering out in 2th on the tight corners, i'll try that alien technique :lol:
Funny, that. I watched replays of two aliens with the C9 in the top 10. One was pulling 2nd gear coming out of the slow corners while the other was doing 3rd. I'm not quite an alien, though. I have to figure out what strategy works best for me. Then again, if you watch the replay, you can hear me spinning my tires coming out of the Dunlop Chicane while in 3rd!
zjn
out of Mulsanne, gear 2 vs gear 3
for the very first couple of seconds gear 2 seems better (if you can avoid wheelspin), but it's just an illusion. at the moment you shift up you start loosing
exiting in gear 3 seems to be slower, but then it start kicking in
I'm exiting Mulsanne and Arnage in 2nd. It feels faster so long as I avoid wheelspin. Though I may be wrong and it could be similar to the double shifting effect. Lose time initially and gain it back further down the straight. I'll experiment as the TT goes along.
In a racing sense I get it, but for TTing I don't know why it takes so long to assign a penalty. Gaining an advantage in a race is quantifiable as there are other cars/drivers to compare time deltas against; in TT it's just you and the clock. If I go over the track limits (as ambiguous as they can be) just hit me with the pen rather than making me wait in suspense for five seconds.
This! I was complaining about the exact same thing a page or two back. I'm all for slowing down to avoid a penalty for track limits when in a race. But if I go over the limit in a TT, there are two choices that end in the same result: 1) I slow down and ruin my lap, or 2) I don't slow down, take the penalty, and ruin my lap. Don't make me sit there for 5 seconds wondering if I crossed a millimeter over the line. Just penalize me already!

As for the track limits themselves...My replay tells the story of inconsistent penalties. I touched the sand going into the Dunlop Chicane with no penalty. Try doing that in the first of the final chicanes, and it's an auto penalty there. I also managed to get dinged coming out of the Dunlop Chicane on one lap. It took me completely by surprise and I still have no idea what I did wrong. Also on my fast lap, I thought I cut the first Mulsanne chicane too much and was waiting for the penalty to pop up. It never did. How wide you are allowed out of those chicane seems like a crapshoot, too.

As for the track limits themselves...My replay tells the story of inconsistent penalties. I touched the sand going into the Dunlop Chicane with no penalty. Try doing that in the first of the final chicanes, and it's an auto penalty there. I also managed to get dinged coming out of the Dunlop Chicane on one lap. It took me completely by surprise and I still have no idea what I did wrong. Also on my fast lap, I thought I cut the first Mulsanne chicane too much and was waiting for the penalty to pop up. It never did. How wide you are allowed out of those chicane seems like a crapshoot, too.
As I start pushing for better time...this track limit thing starts to get a bit annoying. A few time I got ding for a full second at the 2nd chicane in the Mulsanne straight and I had absolutely no idea why...as I took the same line multiple times without issue.

Anyways...calling it a day...did a bunch of 3:24s, so I did drag down my average time.

Just tried the Greddy Fugu Z at Streets of Willow Reverse. It’s kind of funny as I hold Willow Springs in high regard thanks to the Big Willow track, a godlike track. One of the very best I’ve ever driven and raced on, all games considered, ever.

But Streets of Willow... this is pure pain. Perhaps it’s fun in real life but in this combination here it really isn’t. For me, I think it is the worst TT so far. For real. This layout with the Fugu Z, this car here the way it needs to be driven feels like an atrocity. As soon as I’ve entered a safe gold I’m giving this one up immediately.

Yeah, I did manage to get in the 1'23.000 club but I had to restart at least 15 times. I'm trying to watch a good thorough replay to help guide me but I'm still having trouble here. Anyone have any good tips or hints on how to beat this gold time?

Last edited:
Well gave Le Mans TT a first go. It was a shocker to see how bad the 919 Hybrid handled the racing hard tires, with racing softs this TT would be very different. Only did a 3.28.0. 908 was even worse so decided to give one of the meta cars a go.

And yeah the Sauber C9 is very fast! Did a 3.25.4 after a bit of trying. Not sure I can go that much quicker with it, so I guess gonna give the other group c cars a go. Gold is maybe possible 🤔

This! I was complaining about the exact same thing a page or two back. I'm all for slowing down to avoid a penalty for track limits when in a race. But if I go over the limit in a TT, there are two choices that end in the same result: 1) I slow down and ruin my lap, or 2) I don't slow down, take the penalty, and ruin my lap. Don't make me sit there for 5 seconds wondering if I crossed a millimeter over the line. Just penalize me already!
It may be enought to produce a sound, a cow bell, a horn, Mozart Requiem, whatever, the exact moment you break the limits.
Then microsector calculation may come in place to generate or not generate a penalty.
That way you know where to look for limits.

On the penalty system itself in TTs, just invalidate the lap or matematically add some time (and the next one if you take dirty paths on the last corner to improve start speed), slowdown that sometimes throw to the toilet 2 laps in one penalty is too much

I did some laps at Le Mans again this morning, (after i barricaded the couch yesterday so the damn furry basards can't get under it and tear down the couch........ I made a complete new plinth from MDF :lol: :lol:, maby it helps the running after each other a bit )

Today i had so much trouble with the penalty from Virage du Tertre Rouge, like in 8 of the 10 times i got it, so frustrating,
i was a little quiker when i didn't get it haha..

Still an awfull lap but went from 24.688 to 24.548 :lol::lol:. to be continued..
but can tell that i'm diving into the Tsukuba 200% over le Mans :lol::):)

I did some laps at Le Mans again this morning, (after i barricaded the couch yesterday so the damn furry basards can't get under it and tear down the couch........ I made a complete new plinth from MDF :lol: :lol:, maby it helps the running after each other a bit )

Today i had so much trouble with the penalty from Virage du Tertre Rouge, like in 8 of the 10 times i got it, so frustrating,
i was a little quiker when i didn't get it haha..

Still an awfull lap but went from 24.688 to 24.548 :lol::lol:. to be continued..
but can tell that i'm diving into the Tsukuba 200% over le Mans :lol::):)
I could kill my "little bastard" for a 3:24.688 or 3:24.548 on le Mans !!

312374484_1016112552560388_5887809993891462660_n.jpg

Well gave Le Mans TT a first go. It was a shocker to see how bad the 919 Hybrid handled the racing hard tires, with racing softs this TT would be very different. Only did a 3.28.0. 908 was even worse so decided to give one of the meta cars a go.

And yeah the Sauber C9 is very fast! Did a 3.25.4 after a bit of trying. Not sure I can go that much quicker with it, so I guess gonna give the other group c cars a go. Gold is maybe possible 🤔
Yeah, the Sauber is fast, but I find it hard to be precise with it. As a result it is difficult to string a good lap together.

Made a tiny improvement at Willow Springs this morning before work. Now on 4.06% (so close to getting under 4%, which is my target for tonight...). And started on a NASCAR-derived livery which will hopefully help shave off another tenth or two and get me to my target percentile!

I should be happy. Improved PB by 0.206 this morning! But I left 0.3-0.4 seconds on the table with a medium mistake on the Porsche curbs and then just brutally ****ed up the last chicane 😭! Penalties just kept racking up all morning and prob restarted 35-40 times. 0.169 short of (current) gold time and it’s oh so close. I’d really like to try out some other cars but I can’t let up until I see glory

Here is the lap. Feedback welcome or you can just share my pain and skip to 3 min mark

IMG_6495.jpeg
IMG_6494.jpeg
IMG_6496.jpeg

Last edited:
Turn off lap info.... don't bother with the sector time. They ended up being a distraction anyways.
Agree, I was on my way from 3:28 something to 3:27 something, but I panicked in the Porsche curves and the rest of the corners and lost everything, but I did manage to shave off 0,1xx something before giving up for the night, but I would feel a lot safer if I had managed to get down to the 27: something. (apologies for the excessive use of the word "something" :lol: )

Last edited:
I should be happy. Improved PB by 0.206 this morning! But I left 0.3-0.4 seconds on the table with a medium mistake on the Porsche curbs and then just brutally ****ed up the last chicane 😭! Penalties just kept racking up all morning and prob restarted 35-40 times. 0.169 short of (current) gold time and it’s oh so close. I’d really like to try out some other cars but I can’t let up until I see glory

Here is the lap. Feedback welcome or you can just share my pain and skip to 3 min mark

View attachment 1262994View attachment 1262995View attachment 1262996

You are almost there! Have you watched the replay for the current No. 1? He actually took a much tighter line for the 1st corner. I followed his line and seem to be able to get a much better entry for the Dunlop chicane. Also for the chicanes on the straight...you can put 1/2 a car onto the shoulder before braking...this will give you a wider and more stable entry....and get off the 1st gear :lol:...only to use it to rotate the car and immediately shift to 2nd or 3rd right after.

Last edited:
Hi everybody!

I’m back home but still stubbornly refusing to start Le Mans; it’s one of my least favourite tracks and I definitely don’t know my way around in these cars! I might just try and get gold and leave it there

Still a few hours left at Willow Springs, I am knocking on the door of Top 100 which will be a great result for me! I know I’m in the minority but I really enjoy it, this car is fun to drive on the limit and really chuckable. I’m going to give it another try as optimum is mid 1:15s. Sector one is frustrating but once you’re through it’s a laugh IMO

UPDATE: 1:15.753!! That’ll be me done, I could go quicker still but that’s almost guaranteed top 100! I’ll take it! I had resident forum alien @sdi_03 in my sights but thought better of prodding the bear and let it be. There are three things guaranteed in life, death, taxes, and anyone Finnish on your PSN friend list will be faster than you.

I’ll add the YouTube link shortly. I tried Le Mans… I hate it, I might not even bother lol.
IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

Last edited:
Back