Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,360 comments
FWIW ....after Lake Louise, PD had been pretty generous and giving us some easy TTs. If it wasn't for this, I doubt I would ended up in the top 100 :dunce:
That is true indeed, you have a point there, but we on fire now, the big boys have nothing on is, keep the faith 🤣🤣
It still astounds me how fast some of you guys are, even with my upward trajectory in the standings lately. I think I've been at least top 2 percent for the last 5 or so TTs and I'm always at the bottom of my friends' leaderboard. I'm not competitive at the very top but man it feels nice to be close.
I must say that I personally made a small step with the PS5, dualsense helps a lot in feeling the car, but on the other hand, I'm not telling you guys how much miles i put in those tt's..... this morning I went from 20.800 to 20.713 in 413km that's about 256 miles.....for 087. 🤣🤣

Today was in M/T mode & was able to shave off my best time to 1:21:423. Love this layout as its flowing nature makes you want to keep trying & trying, very similar to the Tokyo TT we had recently.

Ironic thing is my best lap had none of my best sectors.

20231203_174648.jpg

20231203_174447.jpg

@half_sourly I have a suggestion for another statistic you could include: assists and ghost, as I believe there is a difference in necessary skill when it comes to which assists and if a ghost are used when settig lap times. Obviously assists or ghost aren't a guarantee for being fast and can help you learn, but using these to set leaderboard lap times feels like a crutch to me.

This is going to sound like a rant, possibly, but it is not meant like that. I just want to set out my position, not only as the person who creates the leaderboards, but as a player who wants the boards to contain meaningful information.

As I noted here, I'm not keen on the idea of adding player choices; not even keen on showing wheel or controller. Since the time of that post, the leaderboard has grown a few columns which already makes it difficult to read, more so when it is a Gr.x week where I show cars used.

My main issue with showing player optional choices is that how each player chooses to play the game is up to them and is not an indicator of some sort of advantage. Each player needs to find the method that works best for them, within their budget (controller, wheel, direct drive wheel), within their physical constraints (space for a rig, space for pedals; bodily physical constraints - bad backs, sciatica (not fun, trust me!), disability) and home life constraints (only allowed to play certain hours, in a certain room, with sound off?), and within their abilities (TC might help a beginner get better lap times, but a good driver will be held back by it).

The variables are endless and not always (or ever?) an indicator of anything other than personal choice. Do you use a wheel; is the wheel mounted on a desk, or a cheap rig, or an expensive solid rig; what pedals do you have - potentiometer or load cell? Potentiometer with performance kit? Brake calibration level? How are the brakes mounted? If you use a ghost, what offset do you use? Do you always use it or only to find lines over the first day or so? If you use a controller, which buttons and sticks do you use, or do you use motion? How many miles to you put into each TT? Do you restart when your lap goes red, or carry on? Do you play with music on or off?

To further illustrate the point that I do not believe these choices add value, I cannot drive with a ghost - it distracts me to the point that I can't get round the lap. Others are possibly held back if they can't use a ghost - I seem to remember @Barareklam saying he always uses a ghost. So if I put a 'Yes' against ghost on the leaderboard, what value does that add? 'Yes' against my name would mean my time was compromised; 'Yes' against @Barareklam name means his time was better than it would have been without. So really it is meaningless.

Similar for TC, choice of ABS, ASM, and all the other variables I listed. It may help one person, but hold another back.

If there is strong and overwhelming support for the idea of adding these personal choices to the leaderboard, then I'll add it for those who want to supply it, but I'm not in favour. Also be aware that the extra columns will make the leader boards more or less illegible.

That is true indeed, you have a point there, but we on fire now, the big boys have nothing on is, keep the faith 🤣🤣

I must say that I personally made a small step with the PS5, dualsense helps a lot in feeling the car, but on the other hand, I'm not telling you guys how much miles i put in those tt's..... this morning I went from 20.800 to 20.713 in 413km that's about 256 miles.....for 087. 🤣🤣
I totally know it's simply a matter of time that I don't have that would bring me closer. I try and put in an hour a day as I fall off quickly if I spend any time away but I also like to actually play the game and not just only grind the TTs. I'm hoping for a little time off this winter. I've been on 7 days a week for a month and it hinders my available time significantly. Luckily I have an understanding wife who doesn't get upset when I use some of my limited time to try to improve.

Cheers to all you maniacs who make me better by grinding so hard.

Leaderboard

1:12.349 - GR Supra
1:12.448 - RCZ
1:12.584 - Alfa 8C
1:12.617 - RC F '17
1:12.652 - Corvette
1:12.714 - FT-1
1:12.721 - RX Vision
1:12.853 - Ford GT '17
1:12.902 - Suzuki VGT
1:12.925 - Supra '97
1:12.948 - SLS AMG
1:13.000 - Z4
1:13.040 - Atenza
1:13.043 - Beetle
1:13.076 - 911 RSR
1:13.096 - WRX
1:13.113 - Viper
1:13.2XX - Gold cut-off
1:13.322 - Lancer
1:13.624 - Golf VGT
1:13.671 - Silhouette
And I thought there was no surprise left...just tried the DBR9, and it's the 3rd slowest car. :boggled:

One of the worst driving experiences, the understeer is incredible. Glad I got a decent lap, and glad it's at least faster than the bottom two.

You also went from G29 to Fanatec GT DD Pro, right? I am on the fence about that as a Christmas present for myself, and could use some impressions.

Truthfully though (TM), I am already over the fence and just need someone to reassure me that it's not a total waste of money :D
I pulled the trigger btw, and ordered the load cell kit as well. Very excited, as you might imagine! Thanks for everyone here who provided advice.
Jimmy Fallon Anticipation GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

The Glen is a strange place. Yesterday I took over 20 laps just to dail in to the car. Then suddenly things started to click. Then just as suddenly, things stopped clicking.
Same for me though, this morning I did spent an hour fighting to get a sub 21 consistent, then indeed suddenly multiple .7xx and .8xx for some laps with the PB, after that.... it was all gone again 🤣🤣

There were even laps that felt soooo good, and I was so on top of Metal, then crossed the line seeing a 20.9xx , no idea how.... a well ... 🤣

This is going to sound like a rant, possibly, but it is not meant like that. I just want to set out my position, not only as the person who creates the leaderboards, but as a player who wants the boards to contain meaningful information.

As I noted here, I'm not keen on the idea of adding player choices; not even keen on showing wheel or controller. Since the time of that post, the leaderboard has grown a few columns which already makes it difficult to read, more so when it is a Gr.x week where I show cars used.

My main issue with showing player optional choices is that how each player chooses to play the game is up to them and is not an indicator of some sort of advantage. Each player needs to find the method that works best for them, within their budget (controller, wheel, direct drive wheel), within their physical constraints (space for a rig, space for pedals; bodily physical constraints - bad backs, sciatica (not fun, trust me!), disability) and home life constraints (only allowed to play certain hours, in a certain room, with sound off?), and within their abilities (TC might help a beginner get better lap times, but a good driver will be held back by it).

The variables are endless and not always (or ever?) an indicator of anything other than personal choice. Do you use a wheel; is the wheel mounted on a desk, or a cheap rig, or an expensive solid rig; what pedals do you have - potentiometer or load cell? Potentiometer with performance kit? Brake calibration level? How are the brakes mounted? If you use a ghost, what offset do you use? Do you always use it or only to find lines over the first day or so? If you use a controller, which buttons and sticks do you use, or do you use motion? How many miles to you put into each TT? Do you restart when your lap goes red, or carry on? Do you play with music on or off?

To further illustrate the point that I do not believe these choices add value, I cannot drive with a ghost - it distracts me to the point that I can't get round the lap. Others are possibly held back if they can't use a ghost - I seem to remember @Barareklam saying he always uses a ghost. So if I put a 'Yes' against ghost on the leaderboard, what value does that add? 'Yes' against my name would mean my time was compromised; 'Yes' against @Barareklam name means his time was better than it would have been without. So really it is meaningless.

Similar for TC, choice of ABS, ASM, and all the other variables I listed. It may help one person, but hold another back.

If there is strong and overwhelming support for the idea of adding these personal choices to the leaderboard, then I'll add it for those who want to supply it, but I'm not in favour. Also be aware that the extra columns will make the leader boards more or less illegible.
I am also not in favor of these additions of personal data to each player. This is specific to each player and cannot influence the time. I think the tables you make are quite explicit and loaded. No need to add other data which would only make these tables heavier.

Improved my time by 8 thousandths. And that's it for me. Already drove well over 500 miles, 4 sessions. By my standards that's overkill and it won't be fun anymore if I attempt another session.

2nd place and clear of 3rd by 21 thousandths, behind P1 by 56 thousandths, plus fastest time with an available replay for lesser skilled drivers to chase, equals job done!

Improved my time by 8 thousandths. And that's it for me. Already drove well over 500 miles, 4 sessions. By my standards that's overkill and it won't be fun anymore if I attempt another session.

2nd place and clear of 3rd by 21 thousandths, behind P1 by 56 thousandths, plus fastest time with an available replay for lesser skilled drivers to chase, equals job done!
Oh ...a thank you for your replay. I've been chasing your ghost 😁

Oh ...a thank you for your replay. I've been chasing your ghost 😁

You'll be quite relieved with this ghost, it has a really average sector 1, then a slowish, safe bus stop, but best of luck staying with it after that.

The long right was so well timed, probably the best I had ever executed it in all my attempts, along with the final sector too!

You'll be quite relieved with this ghost, it has a really average sector 1, then a slowish, safe bus stop, but best of luck staying with it after that.

The long right was so well timed, probably the best I had ever executed it in all my attempts, along with the final sector too!
That is very true, I have no idea how you manage that exitspeed out of the long right hander, but a very fun ghost to chase! Thanks! 😁

Actually, I had a hard time going through the bus stop. If I somehow managed to go through it without crashing, I was able to keep up with you more or less during the long right. Best I did was a .46s. As for the 3rd sector, I was able to do mid .1 multiple times yesterday..... couldn't replicate it today. First corner is still a hit or miss for me....again multiple .71s yesterday, but mostly .75s.

So yeah...if all the moons, planets, stars, galaxies, quasars aligned...I would do a 1:20.32s or something.

After tipping my toes yesterday to test the "new" TT I did 10 laps today and improved quite a bit, was in bronze yesterday, now in silver, not bad.

Lot of room to improve still, we'll see what the future holds, but my hopes for gold are slim. And first I need to solidify this silver.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20231203113814.jpg

Point(s) taken. Thanks for elaborating thoroughly on this topic.

I agree, that playing style including assists and ghost is preference rather than unfair advantage. It's still a stat I would personally like to see - being able to compare myself to drivers using the same preferences. But, I understand to keep the data processable and readable there has to be a limit on variables :)

Using ghosts, assists or whatever preference anyone needs to go fast is fine for learning and if anyone places top 100 with ghost, they probably would without it anyway. Retrospectively, my crutch comment feels very judgemental. Sry if I offended anyone with this.

Last edited:
Now that Big Willow is out of the way (hopefully), on to Watkins Glen!

First session, I didn't load a ghost yet but I did watch a replay a bit for brake points.

I have to say this one is really fun and easy to put in lap after lap. So I put in 30 and I'm already well into Gold. Is it 'easy'? Probably. But I'm going to see how much I can improve before the next TT. Not sure if I'll be able to meet @Evilmuffin and @Gomario JSP on the first page, but I'll try!

18c310a19ae31-screenshotUrl.jpg
18c310a40de51-screenshotUrl.jpg

The Alpine is very much my kind of a car, but matching the ever more common aliens in here might take more time on the track than I have available :guilty:. Improving my 1:20.881 shouldn't be difficult, but I don't think a sub .700 is very realistic. I'm away this whole week, so only going to have time for maybe two sessions the following week.

I'm a bit torn by the competitive level here. Don't get me wrong, it's super cool and inspiring seeing top100 drivers exchanging notes and lap time jabs, but getting sucked into it takes away from what I play GT7 for: having relaxing fun with cars.

Also, in the following weeks a lot of my sim time is going to be consumed by building a completely new rig. First alu profile rig and changing from Thrustmaster system to Fanatec, so might take a while to get it all set. But investing that time and money on GT7 will keep me locked here far into the future, so I'll pop up evey now and then. Knowing how to pick my fights etc. :lol:

Couldn’t leave well enough alone and went back to Willow to see if I could go a bit better in the BRZ. Dropped a touch over a quarter second over the RS 01.

Dropped below 4k on the leaderboard and quite pleased with that. Now back to the Alpine 😉

IMG_6257.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back