Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,361 comments
I was actually going to bring the topic of sweating to the GTP community because let me tell you, I sweat buckets when using the wheel.

It's actually so deterring that most of the time I have very limited sessions on the wheel throughout the week because I just showered after a workout and didn't want to sweat again. It's very annoying.
Hehe... Me chilling with my DualSense with motion sensor steering.... 😊
1000018898.png

I logged on to get a decent session in the RSR last night at Mount Doom, but couldn't string together anything better than the 2:02.002 I'd previously managed. Came close a couple times, but I think my biggest nemesis at the moment is that right hander after The Cutting - I think I'm too cautious on the approach, lifting to make sure I don't clip the wall on the exit, losing tenths... That and Forrest Elbow where I'm really hit/miss. Has anyone got a gold lap in the RSR they care to share? I'd be interested to see gear choices on those corners particularly!

I've also prepped a drift-style livery for my Genesis X as a fall-back if I can't drop into gold with the RSR. I'm fairly sure I can, but I might need to find some magic somewhere. Maybe in the alcohol cupboard?!

Last edited:
I logged on to get a decent session in the RSR last night at Mount Doom, but couldn't string together anything better than the 2:02.002 I'd previously managed. Came close a couple times, but I think my biggest nemesis at the moment is that right hander after The Dipper - I think I'm too cautious on the approach, lifting to make sure I don't clip the wall on the exit, losing tenths... That and Forrest Elbow where I'm really hit/miss. Has anyone got a gold lap in the RSR they care to share? I'd be interested to see gear choices on those corners particularly!

I've also prepped a drift-style livery for my Genesis X as a fall-back if I can't drop into gold with the RSR. I'm fairly sure I can, but I might need to find some magic somewhere. Maybe in the alcohol cupboard?!
Here is a gold lap I did with the RSR a few days ago.

Replay also shared in game.
1000059441.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a gold lap I did with the RSR a few days ago.

Replay also shared in game.
View attachment 1327529

Thanks for sharing! Interesting to see how often you drop to 1st! I don't think I ever do, except if I over-shift into The Cutting occasionally! Is that for more turn-in? Also nice to see I'm not the only person lifting on those turns up the hill - but I'm probably lifting a lot longer, even if not intended. Do you lift/feather around McPhillamy Park to steady the car? I always try to lift at the crest then hammer the throttle all the way through the corner and maintain until I get to the Audi gantry.

Last edited:
Awesome picture, my controllers are black and red. I'm trying the Genesis X at MP today. I wonder what times i'll get. I gotta master the Big Dipper, that can cause am avalanche to someone's super lap.
Biggest piece of advice for The Dipper - brake in a straight line only - any trail braking or overbraking and you'll slide, most likely, into your old mate Barry R.

I was actually going to bring the topic of sweating to the GTP community because let me tell you, I sweat buckets when using the wheel.

It's actually so deterring that most of the time I have very limited sessions on the wheel throughout the week because I just showered after a workout and didn't want to sweat again. It's very annoying.
I just stuff paper towels on my back and down my drawers, helps for a few minutes. 😅 Then change them like a freaking diaper. I'm actually sore now and only gained three tenths after switching to the Genesis. Have to crank the force feedback to get any feel, and ramp up load cell on brake for consistency. It's a workout for sure especially in VR even with a fan blowing on me. WTF why is this so hard? I'm usually a second or more faster than gold if I try LOL This track must be terrifying in real life.

Thanks for sharing! Interesting to see how often you drop to 1st! I don't think I ever do, except if I over-shift into The Cutting occasionally! Is that for more turn-in? Also nice to see I'm not the only person lifting on those turns up the hill - but I'm probably lifting a lot longer, even if not intended. Do you lift/feather around McPhillamy Park to steady the car? I always try to lift at the crest then hammer the throttle all the way through the corner and maintain until I get to the Audi gantry.
The shift to 1st gear was to get extra rotation for turn in....and yes, I do lift during the uphill. More so in the RSR as it does understeer a bit more compare to the Genesis in the uphill section.
BWX
I just stuff paper towels on my back and down my drawers, helps for a few minutes. 😅 Then change them like a freaking diaper. I'm actually sore now and only gained three tenths after switching to the Genesis. Have to crank the force feedback to get any feel, and ramp up load cell on brake for consistency. It's a workout for sure especially in VR even with a fan blowing on me. WTF why is this so hard? I'm usually a second or more faster than gold if I try LOL This track must be terrifying in real life.
Yeah definitely hot as hell in VR....my face was soaking wet! Maybe I do need a fan....

I always have force feedback set to max....just feel better that way. I think I actually gain some shoulder muscle after switching to the G Pro wheel.....🤣

Last edited:
The shift to 1st gear was to get extra rotation for turn in....and yes, I do lift during the uphill. More so in the RSR as it does understeer a bit more compare to the Genesis in the uphill section.
That makes sense. Maybe that's my issue, trying to stay on the throttle too long and not letting the car get around the corners by lifting slightly. Will experiment and report back!

In the meantime, I've made some tweaks to my livery and a couple snaps on the track...

20970336384028831.jpg

20970917074541492.jpg

After doing the CE which is also in the GT3 McLaren and seeing that the first non Genesis on the leader board is one as well I am also committed to it. Great reinforcement to see that you did so well with it. Killer time.

I am still not into Gold. Even optimum time wasn't gold yet. Never struggled with a TT that much. The apex walls of T6 and T10 drive me mad.

Glad to see another fellow McLaren driver for this TT! The McLaren does have surprisingly good turn-in in both T6/7 and T10, so just a tiny lift for both, late turn-in and carry lots of speed into both turns to avoid the inside walls. I think I gained 0.2s alone by getting those 2 corners right. Good luck!

I tried the McLaren last night, just for fun, that was actually the first car I tried on this TT other than the Genesis X, and it was of course totally different, the amount of grip and traction is like you're driving with TC, literally cannot spin it whenever you floor the throttle. And I can do the uphill section without a single lift, 100% all the way. But at the end, after 10-ish validated laps, the best I could do is 2:00.500, I probably could go down 2 or 3 tenths, but since I'm chasing the 1:59s, I will return to the Genesis :D

That makes sense. Maybe that's my issue, trying to stay on the throttle too long and not letting the car get around the corners by lifting slightly. Will experiment and report back!

In the meantime, I've made some tweaks to my livery and a couple snaps on the track...

View attachment 1327575
View attachment 1327577
Yeah....the main thing is to apply throttle early...like really early. I was able to start applying partial throttle even before I hit the apex....that really helped with the minimum apex speed. The RSR is pretty slow on the straight...so any increase in apex speed helps.

Last edited:
Holy crap, I did it!! :drool: I managed to shave off more time with the RCZ... I did a few small mistakes, but given how hard the lap is to put together, I'm done with this. Shame I couldn't get 2 minutes on the dot, or just under, but honestly, I'm just happy I managed to improve... :D I said in the video that I messed up the Dipper, but it wasn't as bad as it could've been...

I also lost time in the left-handers before Skyline (where the track drops into the downhill esses). Other than that, there's not much left on the table. I did get a .680 for sector 1, but nailing that first turn is a pain. And even if you manage the greatest S1 in your life, you still have the rest of the lap to worry about...so I'm more than happy with this lap. I'm ecstatic!
:bowdown:

<Language warning>

Looks like my placement for the Gr.4 @ Autopolis time trial is sticking at a mere 2.94% off the top! Let's hope it stays that way come Thursday!
What's your time at AP? I'm sitting at a 1'57.595, haven't improved since last Wednesday night. I just don't have anymore extra time to give there.

Last edited:
Holy crap, I did it!! :drool: I managed to shave off more time with the RCZ... I did a few small mistakes, but given how hard the lap is to put together, I'm done with this. Shame I couldn't get 2 minutes on the dot, or just under, but honestly, I'm just happy I managed to improve... :D I said in the video that I messed up the Dipper, but it wasn't as bad as it could've been...

I also lost time in the left-handers before Skyline (where the track drops into the downhill esses). Other than that, there's not much left on the table. I did get a .680 for sector 1, but nailing that first turn is a pain. And even if you manage the greatest S1 in your life, you still have the rest of the lap to worry about...so I'm more than happy with this lap. I'm ecstatic!
:bowdown:

<Language warning>

That's quite a lap there mate!, congrats! Good to see such a time of a non Genesis 😁🙏💪💪

10 (last?) laps at AP

No improvement. I really need 10 laps to get in the zone, but I had not much time so... I did not continue after lap 10.

Hope no alien will pull a new world record at last minute, I hope my gold will hold.

18d9ef10a5074-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
MP is really kicking my arse, very much found the limits of my mediocre talent here. Can't seem to string together anything better than a 2.01.5 despite many many attempts. Grr!
Wait, 2:01.5xx is an honourable score, stp complain :P
2:03.7xx is the limit of my mediocre talent... (ok, I'm a bit lazy as I didn't wanted to fight for ages to gain 2 hypothetics secs)

Last edited:
Wait, 2:01.5xx is an honourable score, stp complain :P
2:03.7xx is the limit of my mediocre talent... (ok, I'm a bit lazy as I didn't wanted to fight for ages to gain 2 hypothetics secs)
Ha well I'm satisfied with 2.01.5... but it's frustrating to put a lot of time in and see no further improvement, never before has an optimal lap time seemed so theoretical as to be entirely meaningless.

Hey, I'm getting the hang of the MT, I'm watching one of RebelScumRacers videos, he is an excellent tutor too, just like Mistah_MCA, Digit, Tidgney, etc. It's really hard to perfect the lap though as I can make mistakes during my runs. I keep grinding at AP and still no improvement yet!

Last edited:
Back