Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,361 comments
Edit: Apparently TCS1 and CS weak were on, but I guess it made me faster.

Some more grinding this morning. About all I have in me. But this TT is fun.

I think the key for the last turn in to start your turn in first then brake instead of the other way around. Allows me better control of the slide.
IMG_2516.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg

Last edited:
Time to get back and improve where I can with the Roadster TT @ Grand Valley. On the Dualsense with rotation it’s a bit of work to get right. I’ll keep pushing. Good times the people are posting. :D :cheers:

I’m sitting with a 1:18.945 for now. See if I can extract a couple more tenths. 😂

Last edited:
Okay.... some guys are really serious with data here.... :bowdown: :D

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC
Guilty as charged :D (even though it wasn't directed at me).

Here's a little something I've been working on for myself (I teased it a few weeks ago but I have since improved and automated it a bit).

1708965533478.png

It tracks my progress over all TTs. Basically the same info as the personal results that @half_sourly sends out on request, only in graphical form. The dotted lines show the percentage of all players reaching gold, silver and bronze (so, lower equals harder) and the black line is my own performance.

Maybe we can make this available as a self-service in the future, but for now, if you're interested in your performance, just let me know. And don't hesitate, it literally only takes seconds of my time.

Guilty as charged :D (even though it wasn't directed at me).

Here's a little something I've been working on for myself (I teased it a few weeks ago but I have since improved and automated it a bit).

View attachment 1331875

It tracks my progress over all TTs. Basically the same info as the personal results that @half_sourly sends out on request, only in graphical form. The dotted lines show the percentage of all players reaching gold, silver and bronze (so, lower equals harder) and the black line is my own performance.

Maybe we can make this available as a self-service in the future, but for now, if you're interested in your performance, just let me know. And don't hesitate, it literally only takes seconds of my time.
O
M
G

After the aliens, here come the mathematicians... RUNAWAY :scared: We are definitely lost!! :(

empire spoilers GIF

I'm not only impressed but also scared... but thank you very much (sincerly) for your kind offer, I'm normal and don't track my GT7 scores with data, graphs, and Excel.

Sorry but I have to ask: have you been beaten when you were a child? Abandoned in a forest? Raised by wolves?

Well i think you did. Where did you win that 0.300 on your previous PB? I can't find it yet 😂
I don't even know to be honest, maybe my ghost can tell you :D

If it's any consolation, "using the momentum" for attacking at DTG did not work at all. I was so off pace it wasn't even funny, so I think I'll close this chapter. Congrats :)

Took me 15 Laps and I was about to go crazy. First I messed up the first turn and after I got it mostly it was to exit from the last turn where I lost time. So happy with the time for my skill (or lack thereof). Would be my first gold time. Hope it holds 😅

1000023536.jpg

1000023537.jpg

View attachment 1331892

Whoop whoop 😁
Finally a good hairpin. 😂 Lost a bit time untill the 2nd split unfortunately, but got my goal of 18.2.
TOP 10 that is huuuge, congrats!
If it's any consolation, "using the momentum" for attacking at DTG did not work at all. I was so off pace it wasn't even funny, so I think I'll close this chapter. Congrats :)
Well, that helps 🙈 won't mean i'll stop trying at GV 👽😜

I just wanted to thank everyone, especially those that help us mortals and push us to be better.
I don't know that I could begin to list all of those here who encourage and support us. I am old (67)
and not very good, but you guys have pushed (as well as dragged and embarrassed) me
into better results than I thought possible.
IMG_20240226_140134966.jpg

Day 3 at Grand Valley.

Things are beginning to click much more. But it did take a while on my stint today. 40 laps total. At first I didn't really feel like I was making any progress until after Lap 20 or so.

Originally I planned to just do 30 laps, but around Lap 25 I hit the final hairpin just about perfect. My front bumper was right on the rear of Jeddah's ghost by the finish line. I pushed on and crushed my session best by a couple tenths on Lap 33. Unfortunately, on that lap I did not nail the last hairpin. So there could be more!

18de6d2746e87-screenshotUrl.jpg
18de6d255fe47-screenshotUrl.jpg

My optimal lap from this session would qualify as P50 today. I have to keep pushing to see if a Top 100 placement is possible.

Here's the replay.

Guys who has advice how to keep mental focus and shield off all external things that can influence lap so I can set best lap time possible. Example if I go in state of mind that I will give everything to beat PB then I kinda get stressed or excited and can make small mistakes of turning too early or too late and hence lose valuable time. But if my mind is relaxed then I can focus better and get faster time. Example here I hit sausage on very first lap and delete lap time and then I know next lap will not count, then I totally relax knowing that then I actually set much faster time. ( I do not watch sector times if someone wonders. ) Is there any article on web that someone can recommend?
1000019426.jpg

Guys who has advice how to keep mental focus and shield off all external things that can influence lap so I can set best lap time possible. Example if I go in state of mind that I will give everything to beat PB then I kinda get stressed or excited and can make small mistakes of turning too early or too late and hence lose valuable time. But if my mind is relaxed then I can focus better and get faster time. Example here I hit sausage on very first lap and delete lap time and then I know next lap will not count, then I totally relax knowing that then I actually set much faster time. ( I do not watch sector times if someone wonders. ) Is there any article on web that someone can recommend?
View attachment 1331936
It's not in my best interest to give you advice.....A most of the time your are faster than me.....B.... right now.....you dont have to be faster anymore 😂😂😂

But what works for me, when I'm hunting PB I'm always stressed out when hitting that last sector when your splits are on fire..., sometimes as bad as a warm feeling and a very strong hartbeat, then get cramped up and stuff up the final things....

The only thing what does it for me is turning all info off on the HUD execpt car info, and just set my middel gages to radar or track instead of optimum etc...
If I wanna see my laptime ill switch to it but otherwise I'm leaving it on track.

The only downside is the invalidation, that is not shown either.

But this bring my nerves down drasticly and often improve my times

It's not in my best interest to give you advice.....A most of the time your are faster than me.....B.... right now.....you dont have to be faster anymore 😂😂😂

But what works for me, when I'm hunting PB I'm always stressed out when hitting that last sector when your splits are on fire..., sometimes as bad as a warm feeling and a very strong hartbeat, then get cramped up and stuff up the final things....

The only thing what does it for me is turning all info off on the HUD execpt car info, and just set my middel gages to radar or track instead of optimum etc...
If I wanna see my laptime ill switch to it but otherwise I'm leaving it on track.

The only downside is the invalidation, that is not shown either.

But this bring my nerves down drasticly and often improve my times
I literally don't watch times, any of them, and thanks for advice I could turn all display numbers off, but...I am usually chasing ghost, so I can see that I am very close behind, closer than usually, I guess your answer will be "then turn off the ghost" but I mean I want to learn how to practice my state of mind not to be bothered with anything that surrounds me, numbers, ghost, anything else... and just nail best lap times. 🤔
Any advice how to get that state of mind? 100% focus.

Last edited:
I literally don't watch times, any of them, and thanks for advice I could turn all display numbers off, but...I am usually chasing ghost, so I can see that I am very close behind, closer than usually, I guess your answer will be "then turn off the ghost" but I mean I want to learn how to practice my state of mind not to be bothered with anything that surrounds me, numbers, ghost, anything else... and just nail best lap times. 🤔
You may not like this answer but I use THC. It's legal here. It works wonders for me for concentration. I'm not good at breathing and mindfulness when playing a video game so I use a tool I know works.

Am I the only one?
If I have improved my best time in the first sectors of a TT and then I make a stupid mistake and the time goes "red", I crash head-on into a wall on purpose and go like "Die you fu**Ing bastard!", and that keeps me from throwing my controller into the TV.....😂

Cheers to everyone who does the same....:cheers:

Ghost is 100% on for me too, chasing something is always faster imo, I just dont want to get nerveouse seeing a minus 0.150 on a fire lap and get all freaky on it 😂
But it's indeed difficult to find that focus, as you know my best bet is early morning, no wife......no kid.....semi easy cats these days, headphones on volume erupting vulcano
But still I only have a small window of pure focus and possible PB time.

So if you'll find something pass it on please 😂🙏

View attachment 1331936
Based roughly on this idea, I've heard some elite racers repeat certain phrases to keep or regain focus. It might be 'smooth inputs' as a general one, or saying out loud your next braking point, turning point, etc.

I prefer to keep the distractions on the screen. I still get in my head on a good lap sometimes (like today), but there's great effort to ignore stimulation. Hopefully, after enough repetition, doing a lap right becomes muscle memory and is easier to get right. That's also why I don't generally restart my stints.

I also don't exercise listening to music or scratch mosquito bites.

sometimes as bad as a warm feeling and a very strong hartbeat
Man, this is me. If I'm up by a lot going into the final sector, I can feel the heartbeat kick in. Usually there's a straight at that point where I take a large breath and slowly let it out. Sometimes it helps calm me down. Sometimes it does nothing. :lol: But considering it's just a game we're playing, why do we get so nervous?

Oh, and as I've mentioned it before, I never use ghosts. Waaaay too distracting for my liking.

Man, this is me. If I'm up by a lot going into the final sector, I can feel the heartbeat kick in. Usually there's a straight at that point where I take a large breath and slowly let it out. Sometimes it helps calm me down. Sometimes it does nothing. :lol: But considering it's just a game we're playing, why do we get so nervous?

Oh, and as I've mentioned it before, I never use ghosts. Waaaay too distracting for my liking.
When my delta shows me up by a good amount I get an adrenaline dump and the cascade that follows... it's good if I can ride it out and use it because it'll make me fast but sometimes it just blows me into Barry. 😁😁😁

Back