Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,392 comments
Haven't really tested "focus phrase" (mental focus) I guess it will take time to practice that, whichever way I will try to achieve that, but still, had one more session, I think it's my fourth or fifth on Dragon Trail in Merc. Happy with that. I know I can drop it a bit more but I don't know if I will get opportunity to do so. Life got pretty busy.
Keep pushing whoever is still on Dragon Trail.
1000019462.jpg
1000019463.jpg

Gave the Merc another try, no expectation, just as a filler during my wife shower.
I lowered my time of .3s and my ideal by .6s, making my silver safe.
I’m an absolute eternity away at Gardens in the 190E. Don’t comprehend this one. At all.

Looking at names I should be able to equal or better I somehow should find a whole second to reach ~51.6 and I don’t get it.
I also see my leaderboard very different around me for this Tt. I'm clearly underperfoming, wich added to my average make this tt time 💩, so to say

I’m an absolute eternity away at Gardens in the 190E. Don’t comprehend this one. At all.

Looking at names I should be able to equal or better I somehow should find a whole second to reach ~51.6 and I don’t get it.
Well what was your time there, and what goal time were you setting for DTG? I had to keeping pushing to get 1'57.199, idk if I can beat it or not. I may be receiving bronze here, it's not the fun type of car I desire. It's a job keeping it under control while making the tighter turns.

So overall this was not my favorite TT, I found it to be a hard one to even get silver on.

So it turns out I wasn't done yet at Grand Valley after all. 😂

1709079142224.png

I don't know what to say, obviously I'm punching way above my weight here, but apparently so is everybody else in this thread. I have a feeling @half_sourly will have to congratulate 20 people on new personal bests when this is over :)

Also, if you watch my replay I promise it'll be worth your time, as it features one of the craziest I-can't-believe-I-didn't-crash first turns ever. A picture says more than a thousand words.

1709080087382.png

Last edited:
So it turns out I wasn't done yet at Grand Valley after all. 😂

View attachment 1332221

I don't know what to say, obviously I'm punching way above my weight here, but apparently so does everybody else in this thread. I have a feeling @half_sourly will have to congratulate 20 people to new personal bests when this is over :)

Also, if you watch my replay I promise it'll be worth your time, as it features one of the craziest I-can't-believe-I-didn't-crash first turns ever. A picture says more than a thousand words.

View attachment 1332223

Hell YES! nice work. I'm trying...

This is how I feel at Grand Valley right now. I tried it again last night and couldn't do jack in it. Meanwhile I'm somewhere around 20th on my friends leaderboard where normally I'm around 10th at worst.

Dragon Trail on the other hand...:dopey: Aside from seeing @Barareklam pass by me :grumpy:, I was happy dropping into the 51.7's. Sector 2 again was quite chaotic. Just see how sideways I got in the right hander at the beginning of sector 2! If I had a clean sector like the previous lap, the lap would have been bettered by another .07. Oh, well. One more day tomorrow to try and break the top 100.
IMG_2911.jpg

I don't know what to say, obviously I'm punching way above my weight here, but apparently so is everybody else in this thread. I have a feeling @half_sourly will have to congratulate 20 people on new personal bests when this is over :)
I know the feeling! Somehow managed a 1:18:601 today - I can’t believe I’ve ended up this close to the Top 100?!

Last edited:
Thanks to you. I still see a difference compared to QR1. I have a lot less play on the shaft. As for the parameters, I use the basic ones from Fanatec with 100% force feedback (i.e. peaks of 8Nm). And for the game I put it at 5. I don't have enough perspective to modify all the parameters and nor enough experience. With the G29 it was much simpler. On the other hand, I also see a huge difference in terms of braking. I don't have the same reaction at all as with the DS5. It’s really destabilizing !!!! I have a huge loss of control of the car. Maybe it's a matter of habit.
The official Fanatec forum offers some settings for in game tuning to start with. There are also comments of other players so that I got my adjustments usually from there (or as always from one of the friendly and supporting members of GTPLANET!).

My start with load cell pedals was awful and I kept them only because I thought that it had to be better as they are used in real race cars. Now I wouldn't want anything else and it feels even better with the direct drive wheelbase now. (It would be great if this improvement could be converted in better lap times...)
Anyway, happy lapping and a lot of fun with your new equipment!

Smooth balance is keyword here. Try to keep the car at the very edge of tires losing the grip. If your steering angle is high, tires lose the grip to asphalt, car starts sliding/rotating and valuable time is lost. Test very last corner just before the finish line and you will get what I mean. It is also very easy to unsettle the car by bouncing over curbs, example at the very beginning of S2, after 40 seconds of lap, right-left-right turn, so try not to cut/ride them too much, or to throw car left-right heavily, keep it smooth, so car is still stable after exiting the turn and carry a lot of speed.

You got this champion!

Last edited:
New test today at GV and surprise !!!!
surprised-amazed-shocked-56.gif

I was not able to improve my time of 1'18'871 whether in the DS5 or behind the wheel !!!🤣🤣🤣
I thought I would improve this time and my world ranking of 415th (I beat my record of 644th), but no. I have a week left to do better, as long as some people don't go wild, so as not to fall too far in the rankings. Good luck to everyone 💪💪💪

Last edited:
Ok, I had the same morning as yesterday - no improvement yet - but with a light difference ;)

For the record, my current PB on Grand Valley with Road Runner is 1:19.334

First session with 10 laps: best lap: 1:19.400
1709116162259.png

Second session with 12 laps: best lap: 1:19.411

1709116191105.png

Third session with 11 laps: best lap: 1:19.482 (had an invalidated at 1:19.286 :banghead: )

1709116243288.png

Forth session with 6 laps: best lap: 1:19.392

1709115966635.png

Like the Roadster dances on the curves, I dance around the improvement and I'm getting closer but without reaching it.

Compare to most of the ghosts and to your screenshots shared here, I'm losing time - like 2 tenths... - in the 1st sector, between the 2 tunnels. I must fix this urgently.
The final virage was a serious issue 19 times on 20. Now, it's only 10 times on 20... :grumpy: :D

I know I can improve "a bit" my PB and I will because it's only a matter of time to string some excellent sectors together.

ATTACK!!!

Meanwhile: no fast, no furious...

1709118836211.png

Last edited:
Ok, I had the same morning as yesterday - no improvement yet - but with a light difference ;)

For the record, my current PB on Grand Valley with Road Runner is 1:19.334

First session with 10 laps: best lap: 1:19.400
View attachment 1332309

Second session with 12 laps: best lap: 1:19.411

View attachment 1332310

Third session with 11 laps: best lap: 1:19.482 (had an invalidated at 1:19.286 :banghead: )

View attachment 1332311

Forth session with 6 laps: best lap: 1:19.392

View attachment 1332307

Like the Roadster dances on the curves, I dance around the improvement and I'm getting closer but without reaching it.

Compare to most of the ghosts and to your screenshots shared here, I'm losing time - like 2 tenths... - in the 1st sector, between the 2 tunnels. I must fix this urgently.
The final virage was a serious issue 19 times on 20. Now, it's only 10 times on 20... :grumpy: :D

I know I can improve "a bit" my PB and I will because it's only a matter of time to string some excellent sectors together.

ATTACK!!!

Meanwhile: no fast, no furious...

View attachment 1332315
Lol, the cat slept while you did all the driving, some help he is.

18defcb447b99-screenshotUrl.jpg

After watching someone on reddit post an automatic time of 19.2 I figured I'd have another go. Shaved off another 4 tenths from my previous but have no idea how someone in auto went so quickly! No way could I do that. I switched back to manual and found my rhythm again. Don't think I'll be touching it again though.

Good luck everyone 👍🏻

Last time I checked, I was slightly over 4% off the top when it comes to the time trial featuring the Mercedes-Benz 190E Evo II at Dragon Trail, so I think I'll just leave it. I really doubt I could shave over a full second off to get into gold range, but I'll never complain about netting 1m credits on an almost weekly basis. To date, over 75% of my registered times have been silver, with almost the entire last quarter being golds, except I did get my first (and hopefully only) bronze when I struggled with that one time trial featuring the GR Yaris at Lake Louise.

Last edited:
I decided to have a go at the Mercedes 190E / Dragon Trail TT, if only to pick up a 'free' 500,000 Cr. - it turned out to be more fun than I was expecting... it was almost like a drift trial at times. Instead of a lowly bronze, I ended up with a comfortable silver, albeit still a fair bit off gold, but that's a nice 1 million I was not expecting.

Since you brought up, I still haven't seen anybody answer this definitively, maybe you can: if I set the max torque in game to anything less than 10 on my 5nm DD Pro (I currently have it at 7), would I even benefit from the 8nm? I read that it provides finer details, but is this only available at the cost of higher peak torque? For me, max torque (10) on the 5nm is already too much to handle, at least for some cars.
With 8nm you will have more information from the road and the car than with 5nm, especially if you don't use it at maximum power! As mentioned above, you have to modify the FB in the game.
With a 27cm wheel i put it FB 4 and with a 30-32cm wheel FB 5-6 it depends a little on the car i'm driving too but clearly never the FB on 10 you would lose information in the steering wheel, if i make no mistake, they call it clipping.

Hmmm.....I don't know if I'm imagining things or not. The 190E in the garden feels more floaty compare to a stock 190E.

I got this feeling when I was just driving one in nurburgring for fun and it felt pretty planned compare to the online time trial. So I went to the track and did a regular time trial and did a few laps. The limit of the car seemed very similar but the suspension didn't feel as floaty compare to the online time trial. Back to the online time trial and the 190E there felt like I'm driving a bouncy castle instead.

Again I could be imagining things :dunce:

I decided to have a go at the Mercedes 190E / Dragon Trail TT, if only to pick up a 'free' 500,000 Cr. - it turned out to be more fun than I was expecting... it was almost like a drift trial at times. Instead of a lowly bronze, I ended up with a comfortable silver, albeit still a fair bit off gold, but that's a nice 1 million I was not expecting.
talking about drifting... I do supersuck at it. I also whatched couple of tutorials but it all seems to be very complicated.
Does someone have any good link/material?
Thanks

Hmmm.....I don't know if I'm imagining things or not. The 190E in the garden feels more floaty compare to a stock 190E.

I got this feeling when I was just driving one in nurburgring for fun and it felt pretty planned compare to the online time trial. So I went to the track and did a regular time trial and did a few laps. The limit of the car seemed very similar but the suspension didn't feel as floaty compare to the online time trial. Back to the online time trial and the 190E there felt like I'm driving a bouncy castle instead.

That's why it's collecting dust again in my garage......
I envy all of those guys who love it and slide it to the mid 51's but honestly i was very happy to even be in the 51's
Just to floaty for me, i like some sliding action, but not the whole freaking lap :lol: , plus the salami is to big of a lottery for me, if i can nail it 1/10 my motivation drops relatively fast...... :lol::banghead::lol:

Let's hope for a fun one tomorrow....

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
And it wouldn't be the first time they did such thing.

The famous mission 34 in GT4 - catching a bunch of cars that have a headstart around one lap at Nordschleife in Mercedes McLaren SLR. That mission was giving me serious trouble, so to practice I bought the SLR in game, gave it the worst possible tires (comforts) and ran a few Nurburgring 4h endurances (four hour races, those were the days). I really got the feel of the car and knew exactly how it behaves through all of the corners and how to tackle them cleanly.

Then went back to the mission where the SLR had sports tires and it was hopping on the high curbs like a yo-yo - it never happened on my 4hr races. Bouncy and floaty all the way - I am damn sure that for the mission it had settings altered. No other option.

2 others 10 laps sessions on Grand Valley with my beloved Road Runner!

1st session: best lap in 1:19.421
1709133461999.png

2nd session: best lap in 1:19.327 NEW PB

1709133515567.png

Ok, it's just an improvement of 0.007 (I've gained +/-20 places on the leaderboard) but still, I'm very happy about all these very promissing optimal laps (mostly under 1:19.2xx). The sector between the 2 tunnels is still complicate but I'm working on it.

When the planets will be correctly..... I could possibly save +/-0.15 sec in the next coming days.

1709133968626.png

Lol, the cat slept while you did all the driving, some help he is.
Please, don't blaspheme!!!
There are scientifically verified statistics about sleeping cats help on GT7 performance.
See, I've just improved my PB thanks to Pintig 🐱 !

Back