Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 22,405 comments
Is there a worse circuit in the game than this Willow Springs dog ****?
28e02db072b3d5433a22afa7e49efd26.jpg

I reckon this is much more difficult than the Olympic or N24 time trials for controller players. You cannot drive the car in the same way as players using a wheel. It's like playing a different game. I'm lol'ing at what the ghost cars can do.

I reckon this is much more difficult than the Olympic or N24 time trials for controller players. You cannot drive the car in the same way as players using a wheel. It's like playing a different game. I'm lol'ing at what the ghost cars can do.
That's a pretty big assumption to make - there are many controller users in this thread who seem to do pretty awesome without a wheel - I'm not one of them lol. I think @Grimm6Jack might change your mind on the topic lol

1:15.335 at Willow. I'll be surprised if the time could stay on top for more than a day, but I'll take it :D

View attachment 1259511View attachment 1259512
The above lap is on a controller

Though yes you cannot drive in the same way as the wheel, can't turn in as quickly especially in the high downforce cars but controller does tend to have better traction

Just tried SF23 at Autopolis. Dude. What a deathtrap this combination is... I see this easily being one of my worst ones so far. Tried it now because as far as I’m concerned this one begins now, once TT27 N24h ended. Seven days... [irony]great[/irony]. Thanks, folks who asked for this and PD who listened.

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Or are some of you doing two at the same time? No dialling in and out? Giving up one or the other?

I just did 15 laps or so at willow spring and only managed a 1:17.5 so far. There are still a lot place to improve....just need to drive more and know the track better. My guess is it will need a 1:16.5 to secure gold....

Also did 5 laps with the sf23...still haven't beat PB at 1:25.1 yet. Again need to be more comfortable with this car....i barely driven those formula cars before :/

Man this will be tough to get gold in, this new Willow Springs TT. Feels super awkward driving Streets of Willow in reverse, not a fan.🫣 After much cursing and about 90km of driving, broke into 1.17s with a 1.17.6, so silver is safe. Looks like the alien at the top is very good in this combo, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1.16.8 or 1.16.9 to be enough for gold.

Just tried SF23 at Autopolis. Dude. What a deathtrap this combination is... I see this easily being one of my worst ones so far. Tried it now because as far as I’m concerned this one begins now, once TT27 N24h ended. Seven days... [irony]great[/irony]. Thanks, folks who asked for this and PD who listened.

Or are some of you doing two at the same time? No dialling in and out? Giving up one or the other?
I usually to do it on the second week due to limited time and I like to let the WR settle a bit so I have a better idea of what a gold time will be. With the 2 staggered concurrent TTs I obviously prioritise the one expiring first but only focus on one at a time (with the exception of the olympic TT). I just have to squeeze in a bit more time for the more challenging ones like both of the current ones which I am not looking forward to because my time is even more limited for the next 2 weeks.

I usually to do it on the second week due to limited time and I like to let the WR settle a bit so I have a better idea of what a gold time will be. With the 2 staggered concurrent TTs I obviously prioritise the one expiring first but only focus on one at a time (with the exception of the olympic TT). I just have to squeeze in a bit more time for the more challenging ones like both of the current ones which I am not looking forward to because my time is even more limited for the next 2 weeks.
Yeah, I usually hop on later like you but it was nice with a bit of breathing room in between them, especially with challenging ones and/or those one’s put a lot of effort in.

As you touch upon, time isn’t endless and there’s not always the possibility to play for hours on a daily basis. Anyone can hop on and bank a decent lap but a decent lap isn’t what you’re looking for in a time trial. It’s those final tenths that take the most time.

Yeah, I usually hop on later like you but it was nice with a bit of breathing room in between them, especially with challenging ones and/or those one’s put a lot of effort in.

As you touch upon, time isn’t endless and there’s not always the possibility to play for hours on a daily basis. Anyone can hop on and bank a decent lap but a decent lap isn’t what you’re looking for in a time trial. It’s those final tenths that take the most time.
I feel like you forget not everyone takes the TT's as seriously and diehard as you do. I just do them part for fun/money and part for leaderboard competition. Most people are evidently in a similar boat, based on the widespread praise PD got for having 2 run alternatively now. 7 days is more than enough time to at least push for the medal goal you want, which is the only actual in-game incentive.

I feel like it's unfair to moan and talk down on the people that wanted more achievable credits and more variety in online competition within the game (as we got with an extra Time Trial) - simply because it gives you less time to pursue the specific and strict goals that you choose to impose on yourself.

Last edited:
Weirdly, I very much enjoy the flow of this reverse Willow layout - when I figured out where the track was :lol:

With more (well... any) trackside markers and objects, like Deep Forest or Dragon Trail -- imagine if this were plopped in the middle of a city -- this layout would be amazing.

Nurb GP and Fuji GP wish they had flow as good as this.

The Fugu Z is fine, but once again, I will pout angrily at whoever tunes the LSDs for BoP. Barely 300hp coming from an engine that's half asleep sending its power to very wide and sticky road tires. Am I to believe me that it still slips in the corners under power? :boggled:

Fine. I'll accept another scolding from the BoP tuner that my throttle discipline has all the grace of an angered gorilla, but really?:lol:

Couple of days away again, failed to make bronze at the Ring but not too far off. I love these Ring TTs even though I don't do very well.

Flashed up the PS to see what's next, Willows, in reverse. My least favourite track - in reverse. And Autopolis for another 6 days in an open-wheeler.

Anyone remember that Japanese "torture" game-show, "Endurance"? Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the current TTs 🤣

Oh well, good opportunity to build my credits back up in some races.

100%. I'll be torturing myself with more laps of the Nurburgring tonight! I managed silver - is that enough for gold on CE??
You should be able to manage it.

I did the CE and TT simultaneously. The CE is a bit frustrating with the retries because of the failure conditions, having to restart from the beginning of the lap every time. The BMW isn't the car I'd prefer, in VR you can't really see the shift light, unless you don't want to see out the front.

I managed to gold the CE by about 1 second quicker than the required time and was 3.8% off the top time in the TT. If that gives you a reference point.

You should be able to manage it.

I did the CE and TT simultaneously. The CE is a bit frustrating with the retries because of the failure conditions, having to restart from the beginning of the lap every time. The BMW isn't the car I'd prefer, in VR you can't really see the shift light, unless you don't want to see out the front.

I managed to gold the CE by about 1 second quicker than the required time and was 3.8% off the top time in the TT. If that gives you a reference point.
I gave it a go, late into my session. I managed to JUST get silver with a 1:44. I'll need a few runs to get that down to 1:37...

Depends which are on. When RBR and Deep Forest overlapped, I did a quick session to get gold at RBR then did only Deep Forest because there the goalposts were smaller, my gap to safety smaller and the top time kept moving. I would have preferred to spend more time at RBR as it was far more fun.

Same for the SF23 and Nürburgring overlap, but for different reasons. I did a few laps to gold SF23, but then spent the whole week at Nürburgring despite having a safe gold there, because I love going around there.

Went back to Autopolis only last night. I'll likely do a couple more sessions there to get a decent time (hoping to get under 1:23), then spend the rest of the week at Willlow, as that looks more fun.

Depends on the TT at the time, but I prefer to focus on one. Right now I've gone from the Nurburgring 24h TT to the Willow Springs TT. The Autopolis one doesn't suit me in the slightest, so it's a big NO from me.

Finally got some time last night to try the SF @ Autopolis Time Trial. Last time when Super Formula was in the Time Trials, at Fuji, I was a tenth away from gold time, and simply couldn't find it. Reluctantly accepted silver.

I was determined to get my revenge on the Super Formula this time, and decided I simply wouldn't get up from the wheel until I had what I believe to be a safe gold time.

400km later, I managed to stitch together a 1:23.965, which I believe should stick for gold until the end, was ca. #2100 in the world last night.

I drive in VR, and I found it very helpful to turn off all the HUD and just focus on my lines, instead of having some split times distracting me over the course of the lap. I could still see the lap time at the end on the steering wheel of the car, and that's all I needed. Lap video below :).

Last edited:

Right now the only streak I can keep alive is the "get a medal" one.
The goal I'd like to achieve for each TT is a "close to gold as much as I can"
Double TT is a good improvement for me, but obviusly on the other side it dissipate resources.

For me (6-8 hours a week play time due to contraints, not willing :(, and trying to put in some dailies to improve racecraft) current stance is getting solid medal (whatever it is) in a as quick as I can run, and dedicate to the TT a like most to improve it.

For the current ones: autopolis is not my piece of cake, I'm not good with fast cars, so I set up a solid bronze and that's it.
I suppose that willow will be more enjoiable to me (not tried yet), and will problably be the one I'll try to ride.

Had I more time to drive I'd probably post complete different answer

Weirdly, I very much enjoy the flow of this reverse Willow layout - when I figured out where the track was :lol:

With more (well... any) trackside markers and objects, like Deep Forest or Dragon Trail -- imagine if this were plopped in the middle of a city -- this layout would be amazing.

Nurb GP and Fuji GP wish they had flow as good as this.

The Fugu Z is fine, but once again, I will pout angrily at whoever tunes the LSDs for BoP. Barely 300hp coming from an engine that's half asleep sending its power to very wide and sticky road tires. Am I to believe me that it still slips in the corners under power? :boggled:

Fine. I'll accept another scolding from the BoP tuner that my throttle discipline has all the grace of an angered gorilla, but really?:lol:

Flow on reverse layout on reverse Streets of Willow? Haha, no, doesn't exist, even worse than Nurb GP and Fuji. Tbf Fuji has a flow imo, but just a bit of an oddity with having a different 2/3 and 1/3 section off the track. I just wish we got the forward layout of Streets of Willow instead, feels awkward driving it in this layout, especially after sector 1.

Last edited:
Back