Tom buys an E-Type

• Thread starter Tom
  • 73 comments
I wouldn't be surprised if it would be worth more in the future if you didn't touch it at all, besides keeping it running and the maintenance up to date. I don't think "fully restored" carries the same premium as "unrestored original" anymore. People are into patina, barn finds, and things like that these days. Cars can only be original once.

All that being said, cars as investments are dumb, IMO, especially with the dubious future they have. Would this car even be legal to drive on 2050 UK roads? Probably, but if isn't, how much value could it even have? But who even knows. I'd say do what you want with it, enjoy it for what it is. And watch this video:

I agree with what you say. Especially if you're somebody who wants to make a buck with the car knowing they have something very valuable. But some people like having an old car that feels like new. A restoration is perfectly alright if you don't plan on selling the car anytime soon. If you own the car because you want it and not just cause of it's value, I'd say restore it.
Also, I've seen that video before. I love that video and his 356.

So, the E-Type turned up today!

Had a chance to have a good look around in better light today and it's looking relatively solid underneath. Observations so far is that there's a bolt missing from the steering rack and the cooling fan wire was broken, however Dad ran some cable from the battery and they do work, which is a bonus.

It fired up and ran relatively faultlessly, no coolant or oil leaking on a major scale so that's a positive, and it went into all gears without any issues (aside from trying to find reverse!). The plan currently is to get it running properly (refitting the air filters as they've been removed) and then get it insured so I can drive it around for a while, meaning we can then get a proper idea if there are any serious mechanical issues before stripping it down.

I did take a lot of video footage and I'll try to edit that down into something within the next week or so, however the first vlog will probably come after it's been on the road.

PIpPKmGjQLCYjLkQhpirAQ.jpg

MbtS3HTOQ0Kd55W58ZbmWg.jpg

Tom
Undecided as of yet. The original colour is of course silver, but I feel it's important to paint it a factory colour from its year of manufacture (1971), and these are the following options I'm intrigued by so far:

Light Blue

View attachment 823420

Thoughts?

That light blue looks really nice on those later model E-types 👍

Back in the early 80's my dad ran a Daimler Sovereign Coupe in a very similar shade, it has a slight purple/violetness to it that looks great in the flesh.

Have you and /or your father tested out any of the electrical components such as the headlamps and taillights to see if they are in proper working order?

Have you and /or your father tested out any of the electrical components such as the headlamps and taillights to see if they are in proper working order?

Yep, all tested. Everything but the reverse lights were in working order. Wipers, fan, all the instruments etc are all good.

Tom
Yep, all tested. Everything but the reverse lights were in working order. Wipers, fan, all the instruments etc are all good.

Can I give you the urgent advice to remove as little wiring as possible at whatever point during the restoration. The old wires like to stay where they are now, and once you start to move them out of those fancy positions, the copper likes to crack, causing all sort of gremlins.

Just spray the terminals and plugs etc with electrical spray or perhaps wd40, to get rid of (potential) corrosion.

Can I give you the urgent advice to remove as little wiring as possible at whatever point during the restoration. The old wires like to stay where they are now, and once you start to move them out of those fancy positions, the copper likes to crack, causing all sort of gremlins.

Just spray the terminals and plugs etc with electrical spray or perhaps wd40, to get rid of (potential) corrosion.

Appreciate that, thank you. I'm sure Dad will take all precautions necessary.

Should probably put this into the Members Rides section :) Cracking car though!

Thanks all. Was a fun and interesting start - quite predictable that something would fall off in all honesty! Looking forward to seeing where the next episode takes things.

Did you choose a colour yet @Tom?

Have you decided on a colour yet?

* I don't know which is correct English.

Last edited:
Did you choose a colour yet @Tom?

Have you decided on a colour yet?

* I don't know which is correct English.

Either works, technically, though the latter would be more correct in this instance.

I’ve not decided as of yet, still need to have that argument with Dad first!

Beautiful E-Type! Best of luck with the restoration! Looking forward to the updates <3

Very cool! One of the most beautiful cars ever built. Looks like a lot of work, but hopefully worth it in the end. One interesting thing of note is that many of these older and relatively unreliable British cars can now be updated with aftermarket parts that largely take care of the various issues (many, but not all, electrical) and you end up with a 40 or 50 or 60 year old British car that's actually more reliable than it was when brand new right from the factory. Best of luck and enjoy the journey!

This looks good. Thankfully Tom has the gift of gab in a way that isn't like most chatty YouTube types. He also has a natural eye for building content around conflict and resolution. Does the car run, what fell off... etc. etc. all solid elements of good storytelling.

Thanks all for the very kind comments. Looking forward to creating and sharing Part 2 at some point down the line. It's been a bit tricky over the last few weeks as my Dad is in the process of buying a new house to create a bespoke workshop for car restoration (with a ramp to alleviate some swearing!), so things have hit a bit of a wall currently, as there's not much point stripping the car down only for it to be transported a couple of weeks later.

Incoming comments predicting this while come to GT Sport, even though it is already in the game :lol:

I can confirm, there's definitely an E-Type coming to GT Sport. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back