Top Gear Test Track Lotus Challenge

• Thread starter wills2084
  • 348 comments
Either I'm really good or people arn't doing it right. I wizzed through this in just a couple tries. I just wasn't hard to me. :S

I've heard this so many times. I've investigated the claim a few times, in all cases the user was mistaking the event in question with another (usually a seasonal event) and needed a few tires to gold one the easiest events in the game.

This is the hardest event in the game by a long shot. It can seem impossible at first. But once you adjust to it, realise that slow is fast, its possible. Even possible to win by a nice margin, but it certainly is never easy.

Use multiple quotes next time instead of posting more than once.^

Comfort softs would actually be decent, your elise is actually on comfort hards.

i'm wondering would a simple road tyre be as bad grip-wise as the comfort hard because those tyres suck bigtime.

Make sure that the car is stabile under braking! You can do two things.

Play with the brake balance. I don't remember the settings but I changed the brake balance and this helped me alot!

Second, while downshifting under braking, rev the engine a little bit. This also stabilize the car because the rear wheels won't lock up when downshifting.

Remember to brake early, release the break then steer (get as much speed into the corner as you can), get the car straight and then go slow on the gas.

It's not that hard when you get the feel with it. But it takes alot of practise!!

Have you driven a 111R to really know how it handles? Just learn to drive better.

I have. They don't handle anything like the one in the challenge, mainly because your not going to fit remoulds to one.

Scaff

This is the hardest event in the game by a long shot. It can seem impossible at first. But once you adjust to it, realise that slow is fast, its possible. Even possible to win by a nice margin, but it certainly is never easy.

I disagree - the hardest is the S.Vettel challenge and then the 8C Eigar Norwand Challenge. This is a walk in the park in comparison...I would even go on to suggest that the AMG challenge is harder.

It's been a while since I did this but the general advice given here is spot on. I think it's two laps, and just remember you don't have to pass all AI by turn One. It was a lot of fun completing this challenge.

Without the aids this car is one of the most difficult cars to handle in this game (IMO the 1sts are the McLaren F1 and the NASCARs but this is just me).
All you have to do is turn on the Skid Recovery and Traction Controll. Then it's much easier to control this car.

I easily did gold without aids (except ABS on 1) and I passed all of the other Elise's in the 1st lap, I use a controller (SIXAXIS).

BTW this Tog Gear Challenge IMO should be the last, the ones with the fodder VW's are much easier.

This challenge is still far from being "difficult" in comparison to the Red Bull Challenge in Suzuka and Nurburgring (specially with a controller, I took 1 hour to complete Nurburgring and like a week to complete Suzuka, this one I did on my 4th try after getting used to the car).

Just a heads up for those asking how you can adjust certain settings that don't seem to be an option, there is a kinda quick select thing for some settings designed mainly for wheel users, but you can map it to a DS3 too (though personally I find it really fiddly to change mid-race). This lets you adjust things like brake bias.

What I did to practice was to take a 111R, enter the Brit Lightweights TGTT race, and keep re-running it using the progression of tires from SS down to CH. Only when I was comfortable running it on CH did I go back to the TG challenge for the attempt at a trophy. Still took a few attempts because the DQ conditions are so rigid (or random). But with the tire-progression strategy you will learn how to drive the car.

What the hell! The real driving simulator!?!? I'm pretty sure the Lotus handles a little better then that! Anyone else having trouble? Got any tips?

-Sorry for the complaining; really just venting!

The tyres are on Comfort Hard and the Lotus Elise is guaranteed to have more grippier tyres in real life. It's just to challenge your driving skills and bring out your true potential 👍 .

I think this is the hardest TG event! I got gold 2nd time in the campervans and 1st time in the schwimmwagan/kubelwagen!
Although after 10+ attempts today alone!(gave up long ago) Any tips???

I think this is the hardest TG event! I got gold 2nd time in the campervans and 1st time in the schwimmwagan/kubelwagen!
Although after 10+ attempts today alone!(gave up long ago) Any tips???
Well, I tried for over an hour and couldn't get gold so I put SRF on. Easy gold. I really hate that I resorted to using it but.....

~Turtle
turtle.gif

i'm wondering would a simple road tyre be as bad grip-wise as the comfort hard because those tyres suck bigtime.

..Maybe if you were driving on worn spare donuts, over a road paved with butter.

Image for reference of what a spare donut look like.
244888.jpg

UnionStrike
..Maybe if you were driving on worn spare donuts, over a road paved with butter.

Correction, that's what Chris Harris driving a C63 on four donuts looks like. Seemed like a lot of fun, now all I need is a C63...

OT, this challenge was hard at first but once you adjust the brake bias it gets a lot easier. As it is the brakes just lock almost instantly, but weaken them (with the rears obviously weaker than the fronts) and you'll see a massive improvement.

Correction, that's what Chris Harris driving a C63 on four donuts looks like. Seemed like a lot of fun, now all I need is a C63...

I'm aware, I subscribes to Drive.. which is where said image is from.

244888.jpg

Haha i would think driving on butter would make things sticky :)

I cracked it this afternoon, got gold in about 30 minutes but i'm sure the neighbours heard me yell and curse with all the bloody mindless disqualifications in the meantime...

OT, this challenge was hard at first but once you adjust the brake bias it gets a lot easier. As it is the brakes just lock almost instantly, but weaken them (with the rears obviously weaker than the fronts) and you'll see a massive improvement.

4 delicious tyre-flavoured doughnuts with a strawberry jam filling. Yummy! :) .

Back