Top Gear Test Track Lotus Challenge

• Thread starter wills2084
  • 348 comments
lengthybaton
What the hell! The real driving simulator!?!? I'm pretty sure the Lotus handles a little better then that! Anyone else having trouble? Got any tips?

-Sorry for the complaining; really just venting!

I have the same problem too. Its like, what are the tiers on? Comfort hard? I mean seriously, the stig would not be fond of this.

Last edited:
The AI cars drive fine, and yours drive like it's got slicks on ice. I got bronze by a miracle.

Yeah that first corner is killer on that thing, good god. You even tap the breaks you are going out of control i find if you break earlier and speed through it it make it more manageable.

Just wanted to express similar concern over the handling and difficulty of that challenge. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Brake early, accelerate through. Just pretend you are on rain. TBH, I think that is kinda the point in a way, to challenge your driving.

Orange and White cones can be hit without penalty, solid orange cones cause failures. Given the narrowness of the track, use that to your advantage coming out of the first turn towards Chicago.

The hard part isn't going fast, nor controlling the car. It's surviving. Mow down them cones and profit. The amount of times I was smacked into next week by an AI is absurd, but fair dinkum. It's not supposed to be easy.

BTW, the last Top Gear challenge is significantly easier. Just thought I'd put some minds at ease.

Turn up the traction control and skid recovery... after that the test becomes MUCH easier. Clearly the fitted the Elise with tires that Clarkson wore out doing donuts all day!

This car performs the same as it has in previous versions of the game you can not make ANY mistakes or uneasy movements. Everything has to be methodical. To win though you can brake much much much later and come into the turn much hotter than the AI can. You need to come down to the same speed but they brake too early. Also there is a very wide sweeping turn towards the end coming into that area that has the last turn before the finish. You need to ensure you carry you speed through this do not get scared and slow down to much. Silver should be easy peasy! On a six axxis even easier on wheel.

Oh also to stick up for the developers I have raced an race modified MR2 in real life even on slicks it was a lil like dancing. The rear end came out through every turn especially if you where accell off. As proof you can see a video on youtube if you search william murphy mr2. You will see that I have to "shake" the stearing wheel in the sweepers to keep the car pointed in the right direction. When you see me shaking the wheel I am counterstearing ever so slightly. That is race modified on slicks. I have a chance to race a stock one on slicks and without slicks and on slicks first time ever driving an mr2 I spun it twice on the track. Once they go they are gone! It is just the way these tiny cars behave.

meh it's not that hard. I'm just pissed that I can't get gold! I find that by Gambon on the 1st lap, if you're not anywhere close to 4th or 5th, you're not gonna get Gold

After reading about how hard it was, I wen tand gave it a shot... must say, it was actually really fun, a good challange. :)
The whole point of this one I feel, is that you need to learn to drive a car handling as the Lotus does in this.
The hardest part i found wasn't it spinning out, but trying not to hit other cars... lol.

The biggest tip from me is, learn what you can get away with... I managed to cut a corner round some solid orange cones in the Hammerhead. :dopey: Not saying you need to do this, it was by accident actually, as I breaked too late. :) Also, use the fact that the car slides to your advantage... slide into and round the corners, and find out how much side nudging you can get away with.

I jsut use the DS3 controller, using the 2 sticks is all good. I managed a gold after about 20 attempts, then did it again straight after as I wanted to record the vid... though I drove really messy and pushed the cars a lot in that one. :crazy:

This challenge isn’t that hard…

I’ve broken down exactly how to beat this in another thread… Shortly after my post there was a video on how to do it as well.

It’s all about car control… You don’t need to tweak the aids, you just need to understand how to drive.

Though it’s clear that you don’t want to put effort into anything, you should put some effort into using the search function because this one challenge has about 50 topics on this board already.

You would think PD could of came up with something a little better than three boring races with identical cars. They didn't even balance it, the third race is pathetically easy compared to the other two.

Got any tips?

1. Watch the AI and remember what they do. They're programmed to run a certain line and brake at certain points; use this to your advantage.

2. To control the rear swinging out, downshift so quickly that you're bouncing off the rev limiter. The car will slide, but it will be 1000% more controllable and you can easily point it to where you want to be.

3. Turn off the driving line and don't be afraid to start dive bombing.

4. At the 2nd to last corner (3rd gear), there's a black seam/paint strip in the middle of the track; that's you're braking reference.

5. You should pass 2 cars in the 1st corner. You should pass another 2 just after the cones and 2 more braking into the right just after the tires. Make a good exit and stay on the rear of the car ahead, move to the outside of that car down the straight. Dive bomb & downshift like an idiot into Hammerhead, you'll come out in 5th place. Be smooth on the exit and you'll be a car length or 2 behind 4th place which you should easily pass after the follow through. Coming into the 2nd to last corner, you'll have to pass 3rd place and you may need to lean on him a bit. Stay on the inside and once you pass the Start/Finish line, give that car room or you'll get punted. 2nd place will be overtaken just after T1; he'll brake just after the cones for some reason while you'll be straight-lining the next corner and dive bombing to make up ground on P1. You'll overtake P1 dive bombing into Hammerhead, if not, you should get him after the follow-through.

I just did this, so it's fresh in my memory. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Second place is the highest position I have reached so far, will later come back to gold it. In the last race I placed a second place finish, in that race the lead car on the last turn before the start/finish line went wide right off the track, went to pass him for first, but he came back onto the track accelerating, thus colliding with me, knocking me out of first place.:ouch:

I have yet to complete this one without being DQ'd. It's my own impatience as this car demands an entirely different driving style than the FR cars I prefer driving. Thanks for the tips.

Lap 1: At corner 1, brake, accelerate, then brake hard, sliding into Turn 1 and gaining 2 spots. Overtake one more at corner 2. Overtake 2-3 more at corner 3. By the end of lap one you should be able to overtake all but the 1st car at the final 2 corners.

Lap 2: Easy. Take your time and overtake 1st place at Chicago or Hammerhead. If you still aren't in first by then its ok, you can get them at Gambon at the end of the lap.

I did this event with ABS set to 10, and TCS turned off.

Practice, practice, practice. I know I'll beat this thing within a week or so. At first I didn't even get through the first corner without getting disqualified but at the moment my best result is actually finishing the race and even passing a few AI cars (8th place is my best so far). At first it seemed impossible to even finish this race and now I'm 8th. This tells me I'll eventually nail it.

It sure as hell is HARD. But that's what GT is supposed to be about, right? :D

I read about how difficult this event was and just turned on all of the aids immediately (except for TCS). The Hippie bus event was pretty difficult too to get anything other than bronze. I do not know why PD did not implement 1-lap Stig challenges instead and have the Stig's time as gold.

If you just want to gold and the price car, just crank on the aids.
You still have to drive carefully since you lose time everytime the aids kick in. But they help in preventing you from completely wiping out.

The first corner and follow-through were the most difficult for me.

I made a video too

take notes of where i pass the opponents.

Remember to press on the brakes slowly to avoid stress to the tires (overheat will make them lose grip aka lose control)

Remember to press on the accelerator half way during turns so you won't spin out

Remember to turn the wheel slowly so you don't oversteer.

I can't get the youtube tag to work so just click on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKRArfh5nl0

Latest Posts

Back