Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

Status
Not open for further replies.
*bashes head into desk*

*RANT INCOMING*
Joker laps are for RallyX only. RallyX where it's been done where the racing was already exciting and introduced a strategy element which has worked. This rubbish is to improve the show. What next? Citroen cars have to use a longer layout to ensure that they're competitive? No. The racing was poor because teams were fearful of breaking their expensive parts and that's not how Touring Car Racing is. Touring Car Racing promotes the use of the other car as an overtaking assistance because they're actual cars. The WTCC cars were that in the Super 2000 era and that stopped in 2014 where the field reduced and became less easy to pass and the WTCC organisers don't seem to want to change that thus continuing their dire racing series which is why I watch and enjoy TCR.

Anyone for a laugh?

Last edited:
If their only option is for a non-championship event during the seasons, they won't go there. It would be pointless.
It would seem that way with Supercars not receiving championship points. They haven't pulled out from the AGP yet. It still promotes the series.
Carrera Cup and GT cars raced there as well. It is a good way to make people aware of the series.

It would seem that way with Supercars not receiving championship points. They haven't pulled out from the AGP yet. It still promotes the series.
Carrera Cup and GT cars raced there as well. It is a good way to make people aware of the series.
Although that's true, that's probably not what Marcello Lotti wants for the formula/series.

Somehow the WTCC is thinking of ways to get even worse.

They'll put joker laps in alright. Because that's what the series is. A joke.

I was about to say that joker laps only work in rallycross because of the low amount of cars on the grid, then I remembered that WTCC has nonexistent grids anyway.

I was about to say that joker laps only work in rallycross because of the low amount of cars on the grid, then I remembered that WTCC has nonexistent grids anyway.
False. Their grids aren't nonexistent. They're filling up with definitelynotTCR cars.

EDIT: I laughed at this far too much.

*bashes head into desk*

*RANT INCOMING*
Joker laps are for RallyX only. RallyX where it's been done where the racing was already exciting and introduced a strategy element which has worked. This rubbish is to improve the show. What next? Citroen cars have to use a longer layout to ensure that they're competitive? No. The racing was poor because teams were fearful of breaking their expensive parts and that's not how Touring Car Racing is. Touring Car Racing promotes the use of the other car as an overtaking assistance because they're actual cars. The WTCC cars were that in the Super 2000 era and that stopped in 2014 where the field reduced and became less easy to pass and the WTCC organisers don't seem to want to change that thus continuing their dire racing series which is why I watch and enjoy TCR.

Anyone for a laugh?

You forgot a few of these: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Joker laps sort of work in races that are under 5 minutes, not ones that are nearly half an hour.
Also agree that the TC1 cars are a bit too fragile for touring cars. Suspension components shouldn't break every time someone looks at the car wrong through a pair of binoculars on the other side of the track...

Edit: Wait, how are they going to do a Joker at the Nurburgring?

WTCC sucks. The only good thing is some of the tracks they use. Someone needs to just kill off WTCC, and add its good tracks to the TCR Int calander :lol:

Cut back to the GP circuit instead of go to the Nordschliefe or full GP/F cut to GP/D?

Radio Le Mans has part answered my question: Jokers are only for the temporary street circuits. Doesn't make it any better of an idea, but no 7 to 8 minute difference in laps at the Ring. :D

Last edited:
Argh! The dreaded Ronald MacDonald's colors. Shell liveries are okay, but yuck, man.
click-1-630x354.jpeg

Maybe it looks better in person.

The car looks great, yellow and red always work well together (some of the other angles have a nicer light: ) but I can't see the audience looking to buy shredded wheat matches with the average motorsport fan.

Also e-spares is on the front bumper, could that mean one of the two other cars could be driven by Martin Depper?

Nope, can't get on board. Red and Yellow go well together sometimes, but this one isn't workkng for me.

The yellow seems like an aweful shade, at least contrasted to the red. And I really don't like the red wheels...think they should have been black.

Last edited:
We should start a Go-Fund-Me campaign and put a GTP car on the WTCC grid...pretty sure we'd have a regular shot at podiums, being one of only 4 cars on the grid :banghead:
I like the idea. I'll drive Argentina and Japan. Although TCR is much, much cheaper.

WTCC sucks. The only good thing is some of the tracks they use. Someone needs to just kill off WTCC, and add its good tracks to the TCR Int calander :lol:

With really only the BTCC the most successful of the 'old' Touring Car championships I can see every tin top fan just leaving the WTCC en masse in their droves like refugees from a conflict and head straight to TCR. Nobody sticks around to see their home slowly crumbling down around them. The WTCC is heading for crisis point IMHO. A no way back situation. It is just getting steadily worse by the day I think and nobody in charge seems to have in place a feasible, effective business model to turn the series around. Not even switching the series to TCR regs may save it. It does say in the Autosport article that a class for cars built to TCR regs will be raced in the 2017 WTCC.

The stand-out piece is that Mr Gow says "It's a much more standard production-based formula, to a much lower level and profile than the BTCC". If it is a more standard production based formula what does that make the BTCC? I thought ALL touring car championships were production based - obviously DTM aside. I am shocked that he could say is a lower level and profile than the BTCC. I thought it was meant to breath new life into touring car racing by revolutionizing touring car racing by making it an even more exciting brand of racing to anything seen before and do it to something akin to GT racing where all TCR championships have one uniform set of regs worldwide.

With really only the BTCC the most successful of the 'old' Touring Car championships I can see every tin top fan just leaving the WTCC en masse in their droves like refugees from a conflict and head straight to TCR. Nobody sticks around to see their home slowly crumbling down around them. The WTCC is heading for crisis point IMHO. A no way back situation. It is just getting steadily worse by the day I think and nobody in charge seems to have in place a feasible, effective business model to turn the series around. Not even switching the series to TCR regs may save it. It does say in the Autosport article that a class for cars built to TCR regs will be raced in the 2017 WTCC.

Plus, Lotti was involved in the S2000 era of the WTCC. This is basically just a new S2000 era with multiple championships adopting the technical regulations into their own championship. I got bored of the WTCC because of the poor racing and TCR is everything that the WTCC isn't. It's even got a better headline character. (Comini) The DefinitelyNotTCR car class in the WTCC is absolutely inevitable and will most likely be more exciting than the formation up front.

The stand-out piece is that Mr Gow says "It's a much more standard production-based formula, to a much lower level and profile than the BTCC". If it is a more standard production based formula what does that make the BTCC? I thought ALL touring car championships were production based - obviously DTM aside. I am shocked that he could say is a lower level and profile than the BTCC. I thought it was meant to breath new life into touring car racing by revolutionizing touring car racing by making it an even more exciting brand of racing to anything seen before and do it to something akin to GT racing where all TCR championships have one uniform set of regs worldwide.

I don't really see what Gow's point is with that quote. I also thought the BTCC and many other Touring Car Championship series were for production based cars which is why the cars of the BTCC look like the actual road cars just with wings as is the case with TCR. As i've said before, it's just a substitute for the S2000 models which were used in the BTCC for a while and the ETCC have replaced their S2000s with the TCR cars in that class as has the WTCC.

So, I just started catching up on Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car last night...watched the first two rounds from COTA. I have to say, it was really really good!!

68 car grid, spread across 3 classes. 7 or 8 different manufacturers, about 10 different car models, and a great mix of FR vs FF in the top two classes.

One car in particular that stood out was the BMW M235i Clubsport Racing (I think that was the name, it was a mouthful either way). Great looking car that comes from the factory with a widebody kit, front splitter, rear wing, full rollcage, and everything else to go racing. I guess similar to a Cayman Clubsport, which I actually spied one of plodding around at the back of the TC field.

The racing was great too. Very clean, but very close. I'M excited to watch the rest of the season over the next month or so (no spoilers please!!). If you like production car racing, I recommend trying to find replays of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back