Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 2018 Civic TCR.
jascivictyper.jpg

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/new-honda-civic-type-r-has-morphed-mad-touring-car

Really liking that, the standard Civic Type-R look mean as it is, but in full TCR spec, it's been turned up to eleven, I mean, Just look at that mahoosive front splitter...

Also, whilst I know TCR cars are a bit more dramatic aesthetically, with larger body-kits compared to NGTC spec BTCC cars, but given the Team Dynamics guys have usually switched to the new Civic Type-R immediately the next year, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the new Type-R appear in the BTCC next year. Would certainly look mean as hell, and with that gorgeous black Halfords livery Team Dynamics have at the moment, it'd look even more spectacular :drool:.

Having a look through TCR World & Life.

On Page 7, it says representatives from 3 brands (Honda, Mazda and Toyota) had a meeting with Marcello Lotti. (TCR Promoter) Potential for Mazda and Toyota to join the series?

Having a look through TCR World & Life.

On Page 7, it says representatives from 3 brands (Honda, Mazda and Toyota) had a meeting with Marcello Lotti. (TCR Promoter) Potential for Mazda and Toyota to join the series?

Seem to remember Hindhaugh mentioning something about a potential Mazda TCR during the Continental Tire Series race at the Glen. Since TCR is actually set to eventually replace the ST class (which disappoints me immensely :(), and Mazda has a couple cars in that field, makes sense to me. And it'd be cool to see a proper 3 race car, I think. If I ever find that part in the commentary (it was a 2 hour race), I'll post it.
Toyota I can totally see happening, as well. They have a few cars to choose from as a platform.

Toyota would probably use the Yaris but I'd love if they used the modern Corolla sedan just so I can say my car races.

Mazda should have been all over that at the start of TCR. I've seen Mazda3 production car racing in China, S-Tai race a diesel 3 and MARC V8s have had the 3 body on those cars for years. I hope they do bring it.

I'd think Toyota would do the Corolla Hatch.

Mazda should have been all over that at the start of TCR. I've seen Mazda3 production car racing in China, S-Tai race a diesel 3 and MARC V8s have had the 3 body on those cars for years. I hope they do bring it.

I'd think Toyota would do the Corolla Hatch.
In fairness, I think the CTSCC TCR addition helped with that. They're already in it in other classes and IMSA and provides an opportunity for customers to represent their brand around the world.

Mercedes pulling out of DTM for 2019. There's another manufacturer that's not Hyundai joining the TCR roster for 2018. Although, I think they'd have announced it today if it is them.

I know it's a bit of something out of thin air but maybe the fantasy A-Class TCR isn't as fantasy as we think because I'd think that would be what they would use and would show an interest in the TCR formula.

Maybe for 2019?

The link up with Super GT can't come soon enough for DTM, if it will ever happen at all.

I can't believe it's a straight swap. Mercedes will replace DTM with another touring car series.
I they do because I can't comprehend FE and DTM being in the same sentence/cost level.

If anything, TCR is almost like 90's DTM in a way? :P Rather fitting place to go to from current DTM (or German Super GT).

I they do because I can't comprehend FE and DTM being in the same sentence/cost level.

If anything, TCR is almost like 90's DTM in a way? :P Rather fitting place to go to from current DTM (or German Super GT).
TCR is the complete opposite of 90's Class 1 DTM.

TCR is the complete opposite of 90's Class 1 DTM.
Large grids, many manufacturers, exciting racing. Those are the ways it's similar. Yes in looks and technical aspects, it's pretty dissimilar but excluding BMW and Ford (properly), it's got the manufacturers for 90s DTM.

Just heard the news myself. I can scarcely believe it. Who decided this?! Totto Wolf?! If so what possible drugs was he on?! I saw the NY E-Prix and frankly I couldn't have been less bored. Absolutely nothing enthused me. Things seemed slow and untidy. The DIY nature of the tracks make overtaking impossible and hitting walls inevitable. It is all novelty driven for me this series. It is a new innovation. That is what motivates the manufacturers. They don't seem bothered about success. They just want to get noticed for being a part of a series that represents the future.

This switch to SGT must happen now.

What? Early 90s DTM with BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Opel, Alfa, Toyota and co? I think you're confused as me and @catamount39 are most likely on about Group A.
Group A was only until 1993 in DTM. Group A was used more late 80's.

Group A was only until 1993 in DTM. Group A was used more late 80's.
People associate it with the 90s because that's when most people would agree it reached its heights. Plus, when Group A DTM hype went, they went to the BTCC.

SIX makes in the top 10 for Race 1 at Snetterton. Jack Goff takes a rare pole for Eurotech with Turks in second. On Row 2 it is Sutton and Ingram. Tom Ingram lines up with Adam Morgan in 5th and 6th. Jordan is 7th and in 8th is Plato. Must be one of his best qualifications this year. And behind Jordan is teammate Rob Collard and the only VW in Jake Hill.

A good result for Eurotech could put them well in with a shout in the Independent Teams title.

Common theme of today and last couple seasons:

A certain Green Toyota, the MG's, Halfords Honda's all think they can wreck the field. And AMD Audi's get messed up as a result.

Thankfully Neal got a very well earned comeuppance in R3.

Also at Knockhill in 2 weeks, anyone else going?

A certain Green Toyota

Whilst I agree that Rob's 1st race move on Ingram was a bit too rash, the contact he made in race 3 didn't seem to be of his doing. It looked like classic concertina effect in action on lap 1, with Rob seemingly bearing the brunt of some bunching up, getting contact up the backside, thus spearing him into Sutton, who was really unlucky in race 3. In hindsight, perhaps if he hadn't made that move in race 1, things would have been different, but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? At the end of the day, Rob had a bit of an off-colour day, there was clearly good pace in that Toyota, and as he's shown all year, him in that Avensis is a solid front runner usually, plus he'll continue to be my favourite driver anyway, as he's a class, hard fighting racer.

Sutton had a fantastic weekend besides that, and as if he hadn't before, he's certainly hammered home his credentials, and has definitely shown he's in this title fight, and as Tim said in the build up to race 1, there's seemingly no weakness in Ash's armour, as he's race-craft, qualifying etc, is all super solid. Definitely one to watch for the rest of the season in that mighty Subaru

Last edited:
Also, errrm... where did Cole come from today? And Price looked strong as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back