Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2021 With a New Name and New Cars

• Thread starter The359
  • 244 comments
Crazy.

Now, I chose not to enter Round 1. If players miss every round, hope there's a final prize that's not missed as well. Would suck if another car is handed out, to those that participated and those that got disco'd each round, can't access.

Yes, that would suck. Entered slot 2, let's hope for a successful connection. :scared:

Crazy.
I chose not to enter Round 1

I also chose not to, I dread to think how bad the punting at Corkscrew would have been.

I really didn't like the Supra races, but since they changed it to a general Toyota cup 5/7 races are Supra free! I'm in this year so this is my first race.

Only 2 slots so being disco'd is harsh!

EDIT: I'm really fed up, I arrived 5-10min ahead of time to enter the race and didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. When the form finally closed there was one second left to enter and I missed the first slot. They never did this when I joined the Supra cup a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I seem to be o.k with this car and combo.
Last exhibition I claimed a podium with 2nd. The race was going to be harder with a higher lobby.
Set an o.k. lap first time up in qualy, but mucked up Dunlop on my 2nd run. So it was only 9th on the grid for me. I decided to start on hards.
Immediately an Austrian jumped the start granting me a place off the line. However he made up for it by playing bowling into turn 1. The first 2 laps were crazy. I get shuffled down to 18th after the first corner but half the field have penalties. So I gain loads on the straight at the end of the lap.
However a Frenchman is going too slow into TGR and I tap them and gain a 2 second penalty. I am running around 15th after this. I make up a couple of positions due to mistakes or penalties and decided to pit a lap early at the end of lap 6. This was a good decision. I come out in clean air and set about setting some good laps. After the pit stops I am in 7th. I eventually get past a Portuguese driver and my Austrian friend is suddenly on my tail. The next few laps are the same story. He dives into TGR and I cut back his overshoot. I hold off the rest of the lap, repeat. One lap I get a 0.5 penalty at Panasonic. I swing right to serve it and wait for him to come through so I can at least get some slip but he never appears. I look back to see he also had a penalty. This allows me to pull a comfortable gap along the straight. Last lap and the Frenchman ahead must have got Toyotoys 100R wrong as he is recovering from the barriers just before Advan. His dirty tyres cause him to go deep at Dunlop allowing me through. I pull away in sector 3 and come across the line in 6th. But one poor sod forgets to change to the other compound granting me 5th and 86 points.
20210523_184134.jpg

Once it settled down I could use my pace to gain positions and I feel the contra strat helped. My tyres were at 50% at the end but didn't appear to lose grip but my lap times did fall.
Deffo a one and done.

Missed 1st one so going for this bumper cars race. Maybe it won't be too bad, but don't have high hopes.
D16 so maybe a decent lobby, OK fine be like that. Get shoved on my first fast Q lap, go wide get a pen so just quit as that's both laps basically ruined and if I'm going to be near the back dead last is the safest place. Crap race and came 18th. Wouldn't have done great in a clean race, but that was just a waste of time.

I'm not doing any more of these Race A type races. It's hardly even fun when it's clean and they are virtually never clean.

Totally insane experience at 1st Fuji race today. Everybody was ramming like crazy and the penalty system is... ridiculous. Some guy leading bunch of cars braked chicane by hitting my back bumper and I got that far out of track that I was replaced to track behind that 4-5 cars.. and that bumper smasher didn't even got a penalty...

I'm done with these ridiculous races.. This got nothing to do with car racing. Why these rammers and bumper smashers don't play Wreckfest etc. where it's intended to smash other cars???

I want to give this one a go, I have decent pace in this combo. But damn, between all the disconnects lately (I've had two just this weekend) and the racecraft being even lower than usual, I dunno...

But then again, I just watched a compressed version of the 6 Hours of Spa and at times it looked as bad as a GTS race. Maybe that's what PD is going for?

Managed to find time to run the second slot this evening.

Door 16 in a B/S room, might be some OK points on offer.

First qualy lap was meh, ran wide at turn 1. But still good enough for 5th :eek:
Second lap a bit better but got track limits on the penultimate turn so it didn't count (I actually ran wide and had to lift so it cost me time anyway). Was 3 tenths faster and would have put me Q2. Still, was reasonably happy with 5th.

Ended up being a generally clean race. Went 6H/7M and like @OJBrit I think it paid off.

Didn't fight a couple of medium runners early. But track limits are quite tight in places here so pitted from 5th after getting back past them and then was down to 13th coming out of the pits. By the time it all played out I was in 3rd with a Portuguese and German on my tail. The Portuguese had really good pace and got me quite quickly but I was sticking with him.

Had a good clean battle with the German but we both copped 1 second at Panasonic which basically put paid to thoughts of a podium. It also brought a Dane into our battle and we had a good clean fight to the end where I finished in the middle of the 3 for P5 and 99 points (I mean just make it a round 100!!)

After yesterday's Mini nonsense in Nations this was actually a really fun race. Top 3 seemed to be a bit better than the rest (especially the winner who was pole to flag and untroubled throughout). Our group of 3 was 7 seconds off P2 and P3 so I doubt the 1 second penalty really made a difference. On the replay there was some silliness behind. Might need to clip one of them for IOTW.

And next Sunday it's Super Formula :cheers:
20210524_000837.jpg

Last edited:
View media item 74071
Race Report 21:00 Americas C/S Lobby. Door 6, Q13.

Against my complete and better judgement, i did this anyways.....

Qualifying was uneventful. Couldn't match my practice pace, sector 3 as always killing me - I really need to learn it better.

As per custom, fell back on the first lap as I'm avoiding chaos and trying to keep my elbows in. Way too early to get into it. Went for the 5H/8M strategy - that ALMOST bit me. Got distracted on the first lap by Mr. One-Bar glitching all over the course, went wide at the beginning of sector 3, running P18 of 19.

View media item 74070
Lap 4, I'm running P13 when I get speared at the hairpin. He was running a qualifying line, I was following traffic in front of me and was forced to the inside line. Eventually regain control and drop to P17. (He was one of those I jumped with a tire penalty) Fought up to P12 when I stop for tires, probably one lap too early.
View media item 74072
Came out in 16th in some clean air and went to try and make up some ground but I'm off the train. Eventually catch up to a couple of cars who are most definitely not interested in working together to try and get back on the train. I bounce between P13 & P15 as everyone's elbows are out. By Lap 11, my tires are SHOT. Remember when I said I came in one lap too early for tires? Yeah because they're overcooked like shoe leather. I'm pushing to get to P13 but there's literally nothing left and at this point I'm just hoping for tire penalties to get me into the top 10.

Final Lap. I finally get within slipstream range of P13 because his tires are cooked too. P15 catches up to me and its a three-way-battle in sector three. All three of us go wide in Netz Corner but I took the inside line and win the race to Panasonic Corner. P12 has a penalty and I catch him but like yesterday, cant quite pass him before the finish line.

Tire Penalties happen, I get bumped up to P10 and I look back on my foolishness of actually doing this race.

View media item 74069

Unlike pretty much everyone else (and the rest of my weekend) I had a pretty good race at Fuji.

For once, I was able to catch the slipstream of someone that wasn't horribly slower than myself and qualy'd P2. From the looks of it, I'm the only one that turned on TCS for the start and I leapt out in front of everyone, broke away into clean air and pulled away from everyone. By the end of L1 I had a 2 sec lead on the pack. Someone breaks away from the chase pack and slowly starts to chip into my lead. Turns out he quicker through the hairpin than me, so he gains on me pretty good through sectors 2 & 3. I'm better exiting Panasonic so I start to pull away again on the straight. But what ultimately did me in was tire management.

I pit L6 as my meds are dying of death. I get the lead back L8 after he pits for his hards. We trade the lead a few times but eventually he starts to pull a gap on me as he's managing his tires better. Then finally, I get chased down by someone on meds on the straight going into L13. Then I lose the rear end going into Dunlop corner and am just a sitting duck to another hard charging guy on meds in the final sector. I limp across the line in P4.

Despite leading for almost 3/4 of the race, I'm not going to complain. Everyone that got around me did it cleanly and fairly, I just didn't manage my tires well. Other than some track penalties towards the end and getting squirrely a few times due to tire wear, I did just about as well as I could. The DR repair continues.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210523184139.jpg

Last edited:
Glad I decided to skip this one. Exact same settings as Nations Cup race last season, servers being flaky again, Racing tyres a terrible match for Yaris' soft suspension and Fuji is basically punters paradise with current penalty system. Looking at the top point scorer it seems turnout is pretty low as well.

Luckily the next one is only a week away.

Last edited:
Glad I decided to skip this one. Exact same settings as Nations Cup race last season, servers being flaky again, Racing tyres a terrible match for Yaris' soft suspension and Fuji is basically punters paradise with current penalty system. Looking at the top point scorer it seems turnout is pretty low as well.

Luckily the next one is only a week away.
You're right about round 2 of the the Toyota GR GT Cup. I hated the conditions of this round and it wasn't any good at all. I had started fifth and finished fourth with 26 points. I then sold the Yaris that I had used in this race in total disgust. Like the fifth round of the Manufacturers Series and Nations Cup races I had entered, I disowned my results of this race.

Last edited:
@FastOldHippy you didn't happen to get to the post race lobby and save the replay by any chance?

Yes, I made it to the lobby but I didn't save the replay, sorry. My race was a bit ordinary, to say the least. I'm fairly sure Fuji-san hates me and curses me every time I visit. A silly penalty on each of the first 2 laps then jostling with mid-pack fools sent me off twice. I should have just hung back and let them have at it. Anyways, finished 4 places below starting position, so yeah, not much fun. I generally only save a replay if it's a podium finish. Good to see you done well though lad. 👍

Yes, I made it to the lobby but I didn't save the replay, sorry. My race was a bit ordinary, to say the least. I'm fairly sure Fuji-san hates me and curses me every time I visit. A silly penalty on each of the first 2 laps then jostling with mid-pack fools sent me off twice. I should have just hung back and let them have at it. Anyways, finished 4 places below starting position, so yeah, not much fun. I generally only save a replay if it's a podium finish. Good to see you done well though lad. 👍

All good, just dissapppinted that the game froze up on me post race, preventing me getting back to the lobby.

I mainly wanted to watch bulletoraknife yeet one of the reckless midpack drivers into the pitwall at the start of the final lap.

I was behind them when it started but by the time it finished I was passing them so missed the end result.

Finally! My first top 5 at Fuji! I've done more sport mode races at Fuji than any other track, and yesterday I finally got my first top 5 there. Qualifying was key. I qualified 2nd, and made it through T1 unscathed which kept me ahead of any bumper cars that might occur throughout the race. No mistakes, and the top 3 were all solidly faster than me so I got the most out of my ability with this car in this race. Nice result :cheers:.

Fuji Yaris.jpg

I also chose not to, I dread to think how bad the punting at Corkscrew would have been.

I really didn't like the Supra races, but since they changed it to a general Toyota cup 5/7 races are Supra free! I'm in this year so this is my first race.

Only 2 slots so being disco'd is harsh!

EDIT: I'm really fed up, I arrived 5-10min ahead of time to enter the race and didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. When the form finally closed there was one second left to enter and I missed the first slot. They never did this when I joined the Supra cup a couple of years ago.

Surprise!

No one ever expects the Spanish inquisition...

You're lucky you didnt get the comfy chair! ;)

So we apparently have a "family dinner" on Sunday because we can all meet up under the relaxed Covid rules.

This means I will almost certainly miss the Super Formula race :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

I didn't have any interest in family dinners before the pandemic. Why would that change now??

Just have them hold the "family dinner" in the same room as your set-up. You can have your own spotters for the race.

Back