Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2021 With a New Name and New Cars

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by The359, Apr 6, 2021 at 6:20 AM.

1. The359

The359

And the final hat has fallen. The third season of the Toyota Gazoo Racing Cup, except this time it is not solely for the Supra!

7 rounds from April to August, with 6 different Toyotas, including the 2021 Toyota GR 86, so we are getting a new car to the game no matter what.

Similar format as always, two time slots for races held on Sundays. All real-world circuits except Sardegna. Some of the schedule does not specify which layouts of the circuits will be used, so it is possible Sardegna could be dirt for the GR Yaris.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/news/00_3806414.html

https://toyotagazooracing.com/e-motorsports/

2. 05XR8

05XR8

That's COOL! Don't have to wait til GT7. Now, if only PD included the GR.4 Supra, on loan to those that don't have it. Or just make the dang thing purchasable.

Arseiss, dlshearon, danimac and 2 others like this.
  3. The359

The359

If they were smart, they'd award another one to everyone who participates in the series.

Arseiss, dlshearon, danimac and 5 others like this.
  4. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Least we got a timeline as to when the GR86 is coming. I look forward to that car soon.

Arseiss, dlshearon, danimac and 3 others like this.
  5. 05XR8

05XR8

This too
    It's a sales race between Mazda and Toyota. Need to see purchases of the MX-5 TC.
    I expect Toyota sales to grow at a much higher rate now. These sales really do count(pun intended and not intended. ;) )

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    Arseiss and dlshearon like this.
  6. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

I wish they did for last year's competition, idk why they didn't award them again.

7. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

Soooo that's pretty much confirmed for the new GR 86? Awesome. Would be nice if they add a couple more cars to go along with that, but I understand if their programmers are stretched too thin right now. At this point the GR 86 is just a bonus for the game.

8. alex511

alex511

No, we only get a more Toyota car. That's it.
    I find them ugly.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 8:57 AM
  9. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

Yeah that's what I'm expecting. This is just another promo campaign from Toyota, similar to what they did with the A90 Supra and the GR Supra GT Cup.

10. OJBrit

OJBrit

Aww man! The N24 race is on my birthday. That means I am unlikely to be able to race it. :(

Arseiss and Pigems like this.
  11. Pigems

Pigems Premium

At least there is two slots this time, that’s why I quit last time. Got ran off on lap 1 of Race 1 and gave up, it wasn’t worth it with only one slot per round.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    snc, Arseiss, dlshearon and 4 others like this.
  12. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Well I posted this in the last GR Supra thread:

PD gets the idea, but man why another Yaris @ Fuji race? The 2000GT and dirt race are what I'm most looking forward to definitely.

Also a missed opportunity not to add the GR Supersport (both road and race versions)...

dlshearon and AfraidRacer like this.
  13. challenger001

challenger001

I know Fuji is Toyota's home track, but the GR Yaris is just *meh* around it - I'd be more interested in a race with the TS050s so the hybrid could actually come into play through that rubbish final sector and make it worth lifting, coasting, giving up a place to shoot by someone on the straight.

The SF Toyotas around Suzuka make me think they got a bit jealous of all the Red-Bull sponsored stuff with the SF Honda earlier in the year/at the end of last year, and demanded their own go. Also going to be a crashfest.

barak181 and OJBrit like this.
  14. TS050

TS050 Premium

The final race in December has "TBD" as the car choice. Could possibly be the GR Super Sport/GR010 Hybrid, never know

15. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

dlshearon, Aero2000, Pigems and 3 others like this.
  16. Famine

Famine Administrator

Or it's two semi-finals - to cut 24 to 12 - and then a final, like the last two years, and they're not announcing the combos yet.

AfraidRacer and Pigems like this.
  17. MIE1992

MIE1992

I totally saw this coming, where there'd either be a championship or a special event in GT7 revolving around all the cars with GR labels - right down to including the SF19 with the Toyota engine. However, I am still surprised by the fact that at least one round uses a Toyota without the GR label, the 2000GT. There aren't any rounds with the 86 GRMN, either, but I think that's because of the future inclusion of the new GR 86.

EDIT: I'd hope that in a future iteration of this event - perhaps in GT7's version of Sport Mode - the GR010 gets to join in, too, and maybe even the production version of the GR Super Sport.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 2:39 PM
    AfraidRacer, Pigems and AgentBlackDog like this.
  18. juanffy18

juanffy18

• Grand Final – December 3* – TBA = GR010 maybe? :drool:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 3:12 PM
    AgentBlackDog and AfraidRacer like this.
  19. MroczMR

MroczMR

OH! Lets Hope!

AfraidRacer likes this.
  20. RandomCarGuy17

RandomCarGuy17

Ah neat, PD is going to add the new Toyota GR86. and here I thought they were done with adding new content at all.

Pigems, dlshearon, VXR and 3 others like this.
  21. stpatty

stpatty

The different car choices is a good idea. Last year there were times I genuinely forgot the Supra races were on because they were so boring. Hopefully we don't have the usual mix of excessive tyre and fuel multipliers, especially now with the massive pit loss times.

Also if someone can tell me where to find the liveries in the picture in the GTPlanet article that'd be cool

C_Raccoon23, watto79 and barak181 like this.
  22. barak181

barak181

Whoohoo! Another championship series for me to fail at!

RX8 Racer and OJBrit like this.
  23. RX8 Racer

RX8 Racer

GR produces reproduction parts for the 2000GT, hence its inclusion on the calendar.

I wish they didn’t rehash previous Supra Cup and Nations Cup rounds for Rounds 1 and 2 (and maybe 6), though....

The TS050’s absence from the calendar is also disappointing, since I’m good with high power, high downforce cars.

OJBrit likes this.
  24. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

I actually am really excited about this... the Yaris and Supra are both fun to drive, and the Gr4 86 has always been a solid car to race with... the idea of a Toyota one-make series, with all three... I love it and will be glad to participate.

I did struggle a bit in the Supras when that Series ran last year, but I am optimistic that the racing will be better with the three different cars in the rotation, and having learned a little bit how to avoid some of the carnage that comes with the number of dirty racers online... (though that is optimistic).

OJBrit likes this.
  25. The359

The359

The 86 Gr4 isn't in this series. The GR 86 is a new street car.

26. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

Is that another new car?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM
    AfraidRacer likes this.
  27. RX8 Racer

RX8 Racer

I’m pretty sure that’s a typo. The Toyota e-sports website lists the SF19 for Round 3.

Lukanyon likes this.
  28. Famine

Famine Administrator

Some might say I have 2020 vision...

29. 05XR8

05XR8

Ohhhh, so you do know something. ;)

30. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Yes, I understand... was just pointing out that all the Toyota offerings in the game have been fun to drive, and the idea of another new one, for a one-make series, sounds great! Perhaps they will include the Gr1 and SF cars in a race, too!? What if there is one from each class, wouldn't that be fun? SF, Gr1, Supra, GR 86, and GR Yaris!

AfraidRacer and JEverettL like this.