Toyota Reveals GR010 Le Mans Hypercar Contender

There's no racing class for these cars because manufacturers chicken out of competition.
Those "Hypercars" are a joke, just rich people toys.
That's possibly the silliest excuse made.

Of the cars hyped on the last page, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Aston Martin, Mercedes-AMG, & Lamborghini already build racing cars of their production vehicles, so yes, they're scared of competition.

Secondly, if they wanted to compete in this new hypercar class, there are a multitude of reasons why they're not using the hypercars people keep wanting to see. Let's start with the obvious ones:
The FXXK, P1 GTR, & 918 are old. The FXXK is 6 years old, the road car it's based on is 8. The P1 & the GTR are the same, 8 & 6 years old now. The 918 is also 8 and has been out of production for 6 years. None of these manufacturers are going to bring these cars back & throw money into re-engineering them to be competitive. The XX Programme was never built to go full-racing beyond supporting the Challenge series owners; it's a client-based development program.

The AMG-One was revealed in 2017 & is coming to an end of its development program, finally ready for production. If Mercedes had any intention of racing it at all, we would've already been hearing reports of the One being developed for it. The T.50 is the same, we won't see the first units til' next year & Gordon has only discussed racing it because the clientele has asked about it. It doesn't seem like it was something he originally had interest in.

The Koenigsegg & the Pagani are pipe dreams. The Jesko like the Regera, Agera, CCX, etc. etc. are all engineered to do one thing; speed. Pagani's niche is tailor-made supercars. Both of these companies are clearly putting their money into expanding their brands than consider racing.

Bugatti's not taking anything outside of the Bolide racing.

Apollo can only muster up 10 IEs & it's the first car they've built since going under with the Gumpert.

The Lamborghini could possibly since they state the car is built to FIA regulations, but it looks far more developed for GT-racing than prototype racing.

The Aston Martin may not even get its road car off the ground; as Famine said, they ran out of money for the race car & there's rumors the road car is in danger due to development issues that either push the car back another year or make a major compromise that upsets the owner-base.

If you notice, the common theme is none of these manufacturers are pumping money into this class with those cars because there's no money/reason for them in it to do so. They'd have to build brand new cars for it because nearly everyone in it so far is building their cars off pre-existing LMP1s. ByKolles is said to be running their car off the ENSO CLM LMP1, Alpine will enter a rebadged Rebellion R13 LMP1, Rebellion themselves were apparently set to become Peugeot's factory team before ceasing operations, so I can only imagine Peugeot's decision to continue alone will still revolve around a LMP-1 based car. Only Toyota seems to have built a race car that wasn't LMP1 inspired since we first got a look of it as the GR Super Sport Concept road car, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GR010 was dreamed up as a TS050 inspired race car & Toyota just built a concept road car out of it; wouldn't be the first time. That leaves the SCG007 which is just like the others, built directly for this purpose.

So, please continue to think everyone is "chickening out of competition" because they're not taking 5-10 year old supercars or supercars built for niche-purposes & trying to turn them into race cars just so they can compete in a class full of other cars that are only built for no other purpose than to get as close to LMP1 as they can under the rules. We're literally talking about engineering old road cars to race against reskinned LMP1 race cars.

Last edited:
From how I see it, I feel like sportscar racing "smarks" (as I call it) feel the manufacturers should have built cars like the P1 GTR straight to competitive racing from day 1 of their manufacturing.

Blame the manufacturers for not having the guts to actually have their cars compete.

There's no racing class for these cars because manufacturers chicken out of competition.
Those "Hypercars" are a joke, just rich people toys.

You didn't get my point, at all.
You had no point at all besides thinking you were clever believing the manufacturers don't enter old supercars/track cars into a LMP1 racing class is because they're scared.

Don't turn around and start some Frank "My post was satire" McGank approach now. Your argument was silly from the start & I knew it would fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:
You had no point at all besides thinking you were clever believing the manufacturers don't enter old supercars/track cars into a LMP1 racing class is because they're scared.

Don't turn around and start some Frank "My post was satire" McGank approach now. Your argument was silly from the start & I knew it would fall on deaf ears.
I was talking about the regulations being the way they are are because the manufacturers are little chicken ****s, not that they should enter 5-10 year old cars in the category we got in the end. The FIA and ACO simply cannot make a ruleset to have cars like the Ferrari XX series, McLaren GTR models, and whatever is out there eligible, because the manufacturers are not interested in having on-track competition.
That's why LMH and LMDh are the way they are.

I was talking about the regulations being the way they are are because the manufacturers are little chicken ****s, not that they should enter 5-10 year old cars in the category we got in the end. The FIA and ACO simply cannot make a ruleset to have cars like the Ferrari XX series, McLaren GTR models, and whatever is out there eligible, because the manufacturers are not interested in having on-track competition.
That's why LMH and LMDh are the way they are.
While the further explanation is good, this isn't at all what you did through vague, snarky remarks aimed at the manufacturers for not running the same 5-7 supercars that get brought up every time this Hypercar Class is discussed.

It's also still partially wrong. Half of those cars were never going to race b/c they're outdated, regardless if they were eligible or not.

The FIA and ACO simply cannot make a ruleset to have cars like the Ferrari XX series, McLaren GTR models, and whatever is out there eligible, because the manufacturers are not interested in having on-track competition.

Like who?

Like who?
giphy.gif

Most manufacturers I'm thinking of make racing cars that compete with each other, that's why I was asking if there was a particular brand you think is absent.
It's more about having their "top products" competing. I might be a bit harsh on this one, but nowadays I find every single sportscar a complete waste if it can't be used for, well, professional sport.

What exactly is a hypercar supposed to look like, anyway?
I'd say not look like a Camaro. Maybe something that requires the driver to enter butt perpendicular to the driver's seat and rotate legs into the cabin. Yeah...

It's boring, but I can't say I'm surprised. Ever since the original discussions about HyperCar regs...I had the distinct feeling it was too good to be true and that we'd end up with 90% prototypes. So...not shocked.

Could someone answer this, please?
The article answers it: we don't know.

In principle the GR Super Sport will be a roadgoing version of this, but we've only seen a heavily camouflaged prototype of it so far... and it was a targa, which the GR010 isn't.

Also the GR SS road car essentially has an adapted version of the old TS050 powertrain. The GR010 has an all-new powertrain to comply with the new regulations

Last edited:

Frank McGank lol. Dear god, I remember him. He was responsible for all those antics in the Emily Jones thread.

Back