Toyota Supra Settings

I think a key to taming high-powered FR monster cars in [size=+1]GT1[/size] is to set the rear dampers (shocks) at a slightly higher setting than the front.

And here's why...

Traditional wisdom says that harder shocks increases slippage at that end--that is, harder rear shocks will cause oversteer. But that seems true only to a point.

You know how in [size=+1]GT2[/size] and and [size=+1]GT3[/size] have separate bound/rebound settings?

Well I'm coming to the conclusion that in [size=+1]GT1[/size] the value you give is actually more effective for rebound than bound, and furthermore that its effect on the fore-and-aft weight transfer of the modeled car is more important than its direct effect on traction. That means a higher rear value might give you a little more oversteer under braking, but under acceleration the lower front setting will unload the front end faster than the rear, increasing weight transfer to the rear and decreasing oversteer, resulting in a more controllable corner exit under acceleration.

I haven't got to the Supra'95 RZ yet, but as I work my way through racing all the used cars in the Hard-Tuned Series it seems to have helped me with a couple of other high-powered FR monsters, such as the Soarer'95 and the Eunos Cosmo 20B and even the NSXs..

Okay, my explanation of why it works might be off-base, but try a little bit of extra damper on the rear (not extreme, just a little) and see if it works for you.

I used the "stiffer shocks at the rear" principle again when I raced the MA70 Supra in the Hard-Tuned Series last night. It seemed to handle really well.

(damper settings were, I remember, 4F/5R, but I don't have all the settings handy).

I'll get down through my garage to the Supra'95RZ eventually.

Back